Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Mitsubishi Pajero Petrol or Diesel???

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question Mitsubishi Pajero Petrol or Diesel???

AOA Pakwheelers!

My father recently sold his ride, a 1999 LC VX ltd,and is currently driving a Toyota surf that he borrowed from a friend for trial purpose. But he doesn't seem satisfied with it. So today ran into the local market and came through many Mitsubishi Pajero 2000+ vehicles in the market. the have some mean looks and options. I just want to know that which ones a better option, the 3.2 diesel version or the 3.5 GDI petrol version? And is it really worth buying? if not what would be a suitable alternative?

P.S my father hates the 2003+ Prado shape.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Diesel pajeros are not considered successful in our country. Especially, the GDI version was not welcomed here. A petrol engine is better provided you get fuel from a reputed pump.
    @Demonoid

Sent from my HUAWEI G610-U20 using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Pakistani Fuel barely catches upto Euro II standards in quality, which renders most Direct injection vehicles mostly inoperable.
    Petrol GDI is a nightmare for the owner and the mechanics itself. Both of them have no clue what to do with it. However Toyota GDI petrol engines run well. Common rail diesels are acceptable in part if serviced by the proper manuals from the dealerships. In Mitsubishi's case, it does not exist. therefore rendering CRD vehicles useless. Two companies in pakistan i know of have equipment to service CRD's and they are Toyota and Mercedes.

If the 3.2 4M41 Pajero is "Indirect Injection" it shall run fine albeit very expensive parts. If it's common rail, just quietly shy away from it as there is no authentic servicing available for it.

Alternatives:
    Buy a 2.7 Liter Diesel Mercedes ML series, 2000 onwards. Falls in the same price, better luxury and comfort. But slightly smaller. Servicing centers can be found almost in every large city.

Or

Buy a 2003+ Toyota Surf. They come in a variety of petrol engines and two diesel engines. For diesel go with the one equipped with 1KZ-TE engine.

Just my 2 cents.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sherwan_88 View Post
    Pakistani Fuel barely catches upto Euro II standards in quality, which renders most Direct injection vehicles mostly inoperable.
    Petrol GDI is a nightmare for the owner and the mechanics itself. Both of them have no clue what to do with it. However Toyota GDI petrol engines run well. Common rail diesels are acceptable in part if serviced by the proper manuals from the dealerships. In Mitsubishi's case, it does not exist. therefore rendering CRD vehicles useless. Two companies in pakistan i know of have equipment to service CRD's and they are Toyota and Mercedes.

If the 3.2 4M41 Pajero is "Indirect Injection" it shall run fine albeit very expensive parts. If it's common rail, just quietly shy away from it as there is no authentic servicing available for it.

Alternatives:
    Buy a 2.7 Liter Diesel Mercedes ML series, 2000 onwards. Falls in the same price, better luxury and comfort. But slightly smaller. Servicing centers can be found almost in every large city.

Or

Buy a 2003+ Toyota Surf. They come in a variety of petrol engines and two diesel engines. For diesel go with the one equipped with 1KZ-TE engine.

Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks for the precious advice bro. Pajero diesel is indirect injection technology, which means that we can't buy it. I think the Merc ML class is one of the ugliest looking cars, specially for an ex owner of a 100 series vehicle. What's your opinion about a Cygnus? and which one to buy the 4.7 petrol version or the 4.2 diesel? It's almost exactly the same from the exterior, but the interior is sheer class, but my father told me that Cygnus or Lx-470 are pretty heavy on pocket maintenance wise.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And I think we'd hardly get a clean 2003+ LC in our budget, which is 4.5 million max.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Go for a clean amazon 4.2TD and you will really love it.

I was of the opinion that Amazon may not bear hardcore offroading but I really got surprised by its performence on our trip to Lawa, see this thread:

4x4Engaged? At Lawa

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

More on road, buy petrol.
    More off road, buy diesel.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by noman8ff View Post
    More on road, buy petrol.
    More off road, buy diesel.
    Not Like extreme offroading, but the ride will be driven 300+ km per week, as my father keeps visiting our village, and goes to our farms very often, there ain't no highway towards the lands, but there are paths, good enough for a corolla to travel with ease.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by muzamil_r0cKy View Post
    Thanks for the precious advice bro. Pajero diesel is indirect injection technology, which means that we can't buy it. I think the Merc ML class is one of the ugliest looking cars, specially for an ex owner of a 100 series vehicle. What's your opinion about a Cygnus? and which one to buy the 4.7 petrol version or the 4.2 diesel? It's almost exactly the same from the exterior, but the interior is sheer class, but my father told me that Cygnus or Lx-470 are pretty heavy on pocket maintenance wise.
    I have to agree with the "ugly" sentiment, but in light of things it is more practical than out of market suv's.
    Whether its a Cygnus, Amazon or a Land Cruiser 100. Its all the same to me.
    In 4.5 Mill, there are a lot of options available in the market. A brand new Toyota Fortuner falls in that range too. I personally think its a pimped up version of the 90s Surf.

To be honest, most of us will voice our personal preference and opinion on this matter as everybody has different taste.
    My advice to you would be, go out in the market. See what appeals to you. Test drive the cars, feel them. When i go out to buy some car. I always drive it, feel it, flaws and problems don't bother me. If my heart is happy and excited with it. I get it.

If you go out and ask people what is best. Everybody will have a different answer to your question. In actuality your heart really knows the answer and your mind says maybe.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Both versions have issues with pump, but 3.2 DI-D is replaceable... 3.5 GDI is not replaceable, bot pumps get fried often after 80-90k km.... But 3.2 DI-D with intercooler, if you can get hands on one, that is most beautiful engine....

i will qoute @MITSU_MAN here
    diff between LC 4.2TD & Pajero Gen 3 is like
    Oranges & Apple
    https://www.facebook.com/CAR.Fest.Pak

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have to agree with the "ugly" sentiment, but in light of things it is more practical than out of market suv's.
    Whether its a Cygnus, Amazon or a Land Cruiser 100. Its all the same to me.
    In 4.5 Mill, there are a lot of options available in the market. A brand new Toyota Fortuner falls in that range too. I personally think its a pimped up version of the 90s Surf.

To be honest, most of us will voice our personal preference and opinion on this matter as everybody has different taste.
    My advice to you would be, go out in the market. See what appeals to you. Test drive the cars, feel them. When i go out to buy some car. I always drive it, feel it, flaws and problems don't bother me. If my heart is happy and excited with it. I get it.

If you go out and ask people what is best. Everybody will have a different answer to your question. In actuality your heart really knows the answer and your mind says maybe.
    Exactly Bro! I've spent another day in the market and still I think that the Pajero seems to be the best option in our range. I would like to know the best engine swap for the Pajero, infact I'd love to fit a Toyota 4.2 diesel engine in it only if it fits in, because our previous ride had this engine and it worked perfectly throughout the time. not to forget I'd still have an amount close to 2 million that I can spend on the new purchase.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
    Both versions have issues with pump, but 3.2 DI-D is replaceable... 3.5 GDI is not replaceable, bot pumps get fried often after 80-90k km.... But 3.2 DI-D with intercooler, if you can get hands on one, that is most beautiful engine....

i will qoute @MITSU_MAN here
    diff between LC 4.2TD & Pajero Gen 3 is like
    Oranges & Apple
    Bro there are lots of 3.2 diesel Pajeros in the market, can you please tell me the cost of replacing the pump? and what would be a better option? To change the engine parts, or an engine swap?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Exactly Bro! I've spent another day in the market and still I think that the Pajero seems to be the best option in our range. I would like to know the best engine swap for the Pajero, infact I'd love to fit a Toyota 4.2 diesel engine in it only if it fits in, because our previous ride had this engine and it worked perfectly throughout the time. not to forget I'd still have an amount close to 2 million that I can spend on the new purchase.
    Oh you don't want to go in that arena brother. Swapping a 1HD-FTE from a 4M41 or any other engine in the pajero is going to be a nightmare for you and the one who does it. Believe me that extra 2 Mill is going to run out faster than you can imagine and still that thing won't run right. It's not as easy as putting a different engine into a older car.

First the mating of the transmission and the engine, the mounts and to make a hybrid wiring. It is nearly impossible to do that with a functional vehicle.

Either type of vehicle you choose, petrol or diesel. Don't try any fancy shamancy stuff with them. They don't like it and bite you in the butt deeper than a tiger.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Few months ago I visited the Shershah scrap market and saw this toyota VDF diesel engine, it was in almost brand new condition and the shop keeper was asking 7 lac rupees for it. It looked like that the engine was taken out of a tundra of some other big SUV because it resembled the vigo engine and had D4d written on it, and he said k it's the most powerful diesel engine by any company, and has the fuel efficiency of a 2.0D toyota. I would like to know if that engine can fit in a Pajero and are the engine parts for it easily available in the market, as I haven't seen that engine elsewhere.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Oh you don't want to go in that arena brother. Swapping a 1HD-FTE from a 4M41 or any other engine in the pajero is going to be a nightmare for you and the one who does it. Believe me that extra 2 Mill is going to run out faster than you can imagine and still that thing won't run right. It's not as easy as putting a different engine into a older car.

First the mating of the transmission and the engine, the mounts and to make a hybrid wiring. It is nearly impossible to do that with a functional vehicle.

Either type of vehicle you choose, petrol or diesel. Don't try any fancy shamancy stuff with them. They don't like it and bite you in the butt deeper than a tiger.

Well than that leaves me with the option to buy a normal pajero with a diesel engine. and replace the pump plus everything else that I can grab from the market and hope that it runs right for atleast 3-4 years, or else my father would kill me for buying him a piece of crap in exchange for one of the most reliable vehicles in the world. Since ages I've been asking my father to sell the LC because I thought there were my better options in the market. Although now I realise that quality wise there isn't actually anything near to that of the toyota 100 series.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well than that leaves me with the option to buy a normal pajero with a diesel engine. and replace the pump plus everything else that I can grab from the market and hope that it runs right for atleast 3-4 years, or else my father would kill me for buying him a piece of crap in exchange for one of the most reliable vehicles in the world. Since ages I've been asking my father to sell the LC because I thought there were my better options in the market. Although now I realise that quality wise there isn't actually anything near to that of the toyota 100 series.
    Every car out there serviced properly runs just as good as any other car. Problem in Pakistan is, most of the mechanics have been beaten and abused by their "ustaads" to repair Toyota's along with some brain damage accompanying too. Mitsubishi is by far the most intricate and finicky vehicle manufacturer out there. Their love for turbos is divine. If it was upto them they would have us running on Mitsubishi turbocharged mopeds . Toyota on the hand likes to keep it simple. Reliable, that any body with permanent brain damage can fix it in the middle of nowhere.

Coming down from the LC 100, the drive of the Mitsubishi is actually nicer as it behaves like a Honda on the road. Reliability issues occur because Mitsubishi has no presence of any kind to even tell the blithering idiots (toyota ustaad mechanics) how to fix it. Toyota enjoys their supremacy due to the fact they operate country wide with dealerships and factory workshops with a professionally trained staff, same goes for Suzuki and Honda.

As said earlier, don't tinker with them, don't try any fancy stuff and they will run as smooth as silk. Try to mingle with it, all hell will break loose. And this is why my friend i suggested the ML in the first place. A upgrade of luxury, great drive and of course the badge itself is a catch at just the cost of size.

P.S: Just struck my mind, with a bit of more budget you could go for a nice Range Rover just slightly under the 5 Mil Mark

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@muzamil_r0cKy
    Bro my father owns a 2003 3.5 GDI super exceed.This car is with us nearly 4 years now. During this time we have only had routine service done( oil change , brake pads Etc). It is one of the most reliable cars my dad has owned, it didnt let him down even once. When compared to LC 100's ride one would find a tad firm mainly due to the fact that it has independent suspension all around compared to live axle in LC100. The advantage of this setup in this car is that you have a very stable car at motorway speed and beyond. The level of luxury this car has , it would be very difficult to match it in this price bracket.
    So if you are looking for a car which is clean and taken care of then I think you should go for it. I cant say anything about diesel powered pajeros though.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Every car out there serviced properly runs just as good as any other car. Problem in Pakistan is, most of the mechanics have been beaten and abused by their "ustaads" to repair Toyota's along with some brain damage accompanying too. Mitsubishi is by far the most intricate and finicky vehicle manufacturer out there. Their love for turbos is divine. If it was upto them they would have us running on Mitsubishi turbocharged mopeds . Toyota on the hand likes to keep it simple. Reliable, that any body with permanent brain damage can fix it in the middle of nowhere.

Coming down from the LC 100, the drive of the Mitsubishi is actually nicer as it behaves like a Honda on the road. Reliability issues occur because Mitsubishi has no presence of any kind to even tell the blithering idiots (toyota ustaad mechanics) how to fix it. Toyota enjoys their supremacy due to the fact they operate country wide with dealerships and factory workshops with a professionally trained staff, same goes for Suzuki and Honda.

As said earlier, don't tinker with them, don't try any fancy stuff and they will run as smooth as silk. Try to mingle with it, all hell will break loose. And this is why my friend i suggested the ML in the first place. A upgrade of luxury, great drive and of course the badge itself is a catch at just the cost of size.

P.S: Just struck my mind, with a bit of more budget you could go for a nice Range Rover just slightly under the 5 Mil Mark
    Actually we have an old cherokee standing in our village, and the Range Rover seems a much similar car, in the matter of looks. and I have never had the pleasure to get into one of those, that's why I didn't look for any of them. I thought they'd be much expensive as they had that mighty look of alien car type something. There was a beautiful Maroon Rover standing at a showroom and it's interior was like some UFO or spaceship type thing. that's why I didn't bother asking the price of that vehicle. I'd look for them today and If can find one in our range, or slightly higher than I think there's nothing else that'd be a better replacement for the LC?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bilal005 View Post
    @muzamil_r0cKy
    Bro my father owns a 2003 3.5 GDI super exceed.This car is with us nearly 4 years now. During this time we have only had routine service done( oil change , brake pads Etc). It is one of the most reliable cars my dad has owned, it didnt let him down even once. When compared to LC 100's ride one would find a tad firm mainly due to the fact that it has independent suspension all around compared to live axle in LC100. The advantage of this setup in this car is that you have a very stable car at motorway speed and beyond. The level of luxury this car has , it would be very difficult to match it in this price bracket.So if you are looking for a car which is clean and taken care of then I think you should go for it. I cant say anything about diesel powered pajeros though.
    Everyone I've asked about which one to buy has told me not to buy the petrol version. although when I took both of them out for a ride. the Petrol one felt way better than the diesel one. but the dealer said that when the diesel engine starts getting hot petrol version stands no way near it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i dont think that is the case. i think petrol version has better performance than the diesel version. the v6 GDI love to rev and its a joy to do that. im sure diesel is good but not as good as the petrol. That 5speed semi automatic is matched perfectly with the V6's torque band. you have plenty of power through out the rev range. Diesel 3.2 has 175hp vs v6 220hp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List