Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Suggestion regarding Purchase and Restoration of 60 Series LC

Aslam-o-Alaikum,

Hope every one is doing fine. I dont have much experience owning a 4WD....had a 2001 Hilux (3RZ-FE) and 2004 Hilux (5VZ-FE) face-lift model in Australia......loved both.....but never had much experience in maintaining them as I kept both for a few months....thus I need some help from the experts here regarding possibility of purchase and restoration of a 60 series LC

Vehicle in question belongs to one of my friend has one......he says its 1985 model and has those square lights in the front.....has a 2400 CC diesel engine...guess its a 2L as he took it out of his 1991 Prado.....engine has a lot of oil leaks and needs replacement.....also have heard this engine has the problem of head cracks

As far as the body is concerned.....its needs a new paint as its white color is all faded.....has a bit of rust on the ends where the wheel arch meets the base......nothing major though.....did not take any pics but guess it wont be that expensive

So my question is

1- How much should be the fair price of this jeep considering it needs a new engine, new paint job, fixing the rust bits and new tyres

2- What engine would best suit this jeep, I want to use it occasionally as a daily driver plus soft off-roading

Views would be highly appreciated and would definitely help me decide
    we ride together......we die together.......BAD BOYS 4 LIFE!!!!!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I came across 1988 60 series which was govt auctioned with original B3 engine. It needed paint only and maybe Lil title bits. The demand was 300,000. Now you can make your own calculations.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dont pay more then 300k for this vehicle And I guess 200k will be a good deal.
    New engine should be a 1hz or atleast a 2h and end of the day if you want to make it perfect it should cost you 7 to 8 lacs.
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1020 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if it is already registered fair enough otherwise a six figure adjustable withholding tax is applicable
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yup....it is already registered....guess its Islamabad and all token are up to date......I have already offered him 2 lakh considering the amount of work required.....he has to get back to me as his father is going to make the final decision

1h or 2h sounds fine.....what if I want to go for a petrol....5VZ-FE.......or if I want to slam a 2JZ-GE or 1UZ-FE

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
    I came across 1988 60 series which was govt auctioned with original B3 engine. It needed paint only and maybe Lil title bits. The demand was 300,000. Now you can make your own calculations.
    brother did u buy it??????.....if not, may I know the location its at or the contact detail???

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@umarsaryar my friend knows the location you can call him for directions on 03005271101

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dont even think of putting a 2 jz-ge.I have had a very bad experience. Now doubt 2jz is a very good engine but its just not a Jeep engine. Mating it with the your original transmission is the biggest problem. Even the best mechanics are unable to synchronize it perfectly. 1uz-vvti is a better option. If budget is not an issue then forget about these engines. Go for a B-3, 13BT, 3-F or a 1-HZ(best option in my opinion) depending on your likes and usage or requirements.
    But all these engines are expensive these days and you can forget about mileage (except b3/13 if tuned properly)
    and if you REALLY want to jump in it, then go for the MIGHTY 12-HT!!! One of the best diesel engines ever made and the best suitable engine for a 60! but it will thrash your pocket

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
    @umarsaryar my friend knows the location you can call him for directions on 03005271101
    thanks brother....can u please tell me your friend's name or your name....dont want to shock him when i call

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gallian007 View Post
    Dont even think of putting a 2 jz-ge.I have had a very bad experience. Now doubt 2jz is a very good engine but its just not a Jeep engine. Mating it with the your original transmission is the biggest problem. Even the best mechanics are unable to synchronize it perfectly. 1uz-vvti is a better option. If budget is not an issue then forget about these engines. Go for a B-3, 13BT, 3-F or a 1-HZ(best option in my opinion) depending on your likes and usage or requirements.
    But all these engines are expensive these days and you can forget about mileage (except b3/13 if tuned properly)
    and if you REALLY want to jump in it, then go for the MIGHTY 12-HT!!! One of the best diesel engines ever made and the best suitable engine for a 60! but it will thrash your pocket
    bro the only reason I mentioned 2JZ was that I have seen a few Prado's available with this engine and have seen a LC60 in member ride section having a 2JZ-GTE.....so what about a 1KZ??????....any comments on that???

just want to keep the budget within limits.....dont want to spend north of 3 lakhs on the engine

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

2jz-ge and 2jz-gte are pole apart engines. and that ride you are mentioning is built for rally.(sam's)
    1Kz is a good engine but for a prado not for a 60. you can get the engines I mentioned in 3 lac rupees if you survey properly.
    Also I would advise to spend as much on the mechanics of the rig as possible. theres is no need to repaint the whole jeep. Just get rid of the rusty parts. I would again say go for a 13B or 1HZ. (even better)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

2jz-ge and 2jz-gte are pole apart engines. and that ride you are mentioning is built for rally.(sam's)
    1Kz is a good engine but for a prado not for a 60. you can get the engines I mentioned in 3 lac rupees if you survey properly.
    Also I would advise to spend as much on the mechanics of the rig as possible. theres is no need to repaint the whole jeep. Just get rid of the rusty parts. I would again say go for a 13B or 1HZ. (even better)
    I have the same plan to fix the jeep up mechanically and fix the rusty bits.....dont mind driving a faded jeep as long as its good mechanically and interior wise

U know of any good jeep mechanics in lahore who wud fix it up properly.....never kept a jeep in Pakistan so dont know about any mechanics

So 13B or 1 HZ......any idea about their price???

Also please share your views about 1UZ???? Which one to go for vvti or normal?????.....had a Soarer with non vvti 1UZ in Australia so not sure about mating it with the 60 gear box.....have seen few FJ's with this engine

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As for mechanics in lahore, you should seek help from any of the mean machines member (4x4 club in lahore, check on pakwheels) they will guide you better
    I would suggest to go for a vvti one. but when I was putting engine in my 60, gurus advised me to go for a normal one to keep it as simple as possible (goes with 60)
    I will ask around for the prices of 13B and 1Hz

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As for mechanics in lahore, you should seek help from any of the mean machines member (4x4 club in lahore, check on pakwheels) they will guide you better
    I would suggest to go for a vvti one. but when I was putting engine in my 60, gurus advised me to go for a normal one to keep it as simple as possible (goes with 60)
    I will ask around for the prices of 13B and 1Hz
    Thanls brother for your insight

So did u end up putting a 1UZ in your 60 or did u go with some other engine?????

Will send a message to one of the mean machine members regarding mechanics.......thanks again

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I ended up buying another 60 with a 12HT, 88 model! ;-) The other one still runs on 2jz

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I ended up buying another 60 with a 12HT, 88 model! ;-) The other one still runs on 2jz
    how much did u buy the one with 12HT???????........just for the price idea

and how the one with 2JZ is performing????........I know I know u have told me to stay away from it but want to know why your experience is bad with 2JZ????

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bought it for 8 lac. Biggest problem I had was coupling with the original transmission which is H55 (5 forward manual). You have to make a custom adapter plate to connect the engine and the gear box (with clutch and fly wheel of course) Aligning this adapter plate perfectly is the biggest issue which leads to very irritating jerks when you change gears. I am unaware of the deep technicalities behind these things but I am telling you what I know and what I understand. Also the heavy differentials of the 60 just doesn't go well with the high rpm 2jz. So you might have to change the differentials as well. Mating the engine with its original transmission (w57 or w58 i guess) might solve this but I am not sure how would it effect the power and torque to drag such a heavy vehicle.
    Secondly, low end torque of 2jz is very low as compared to the diesel engines I mentioned because it is designed for a car (weight factor) So you will have to drive the jeep on high rpms if you really want something out of it especially on mountains when driving on 2 wheels. And lastly originality is the name of the game. Sticking to the engines which originally came in the 60 will save you lots of trouble.
    Having said that, 2jz is a fantastic engine but its just not a Jeep engine. I have smoked multi valve cruisings (80 series) and other jeeps both on plane and mountains. Very low maintenance/ no heating issues or other hastles which one do face in older diesel engines.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bought it for 8 lac. Biggest problem I had was coupling with the original transmission which is H55 (5 forward manual). You have to make a custom adapter plate to connect the engine and the gear box (with clutch and fly wheel of course) Aligning this adapter plate perfectly is the biggest issue which leads to very irritating jerks when you change gears. I am unaware of the deep technicalities behind these things but I am telling you what I know and what I understand. Also the heavy differentials of the 60 just doesn't go well with the high rpm 2jz. So you might have to change the differentials as well. Mating the engine with its original transmission (w57 or w58 i guess) might solve this but I am not sure how would it effect the power and torque to drag such a heavy vehicle.
    Secondly, low end torque of 2jz is very low as compared to the diesel engines I mentioned because it is designed for a car (weight factor) So you will have to drive the jeep on high rpms if you really want something out of it especially on mountains when driving on 2 wheels. And lastly originality is the name of the game. Sticking to the engines which originally came in the 60 will save you lots of trouble.
    Having said that, 2jz is a fantastic engine but its just not a Jeep engine. I have smoked multi valve cruisings (80 series) and other jeeps both on plane and mountains. Very low maintenance/ no heating issues or other hastles which one do face in older diesel engines.
    many thanks brother for your comprehensive reply

I totally agree that 2JZ is best suited for cars.....had a couple of Supra's in Australia with the same engine and the car really flies with this engine......only asked about it as have seen a few FJ's and Prado's with this engine so just thought of it as an option....as I have no experience at all regarding jeep restoration and maintenance, so wanted to get an opinion from someone who has experience in doing so.....yes mating with the original gear box would be an issue and I guess its best suited to throw in a diesel engine to make one's life easy

now the last part of your comments where u mentioned smoking 80 series.....was it with the 2JZ or some other engine?????

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes with 2 jz with some mods on intake and sequential fuel pumps