Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By javedikhan1
  • 1 Post By imtishal

Thread: I need advice from Hilux experts

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    javedikhan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default I need advice from Hilux experts

    Basically,
    The 5th gen. Hilux double cabin pickup (1988-1997) is known all over the world for its legendary durability and ruggedness.It has been called as an unbreakable vehicle despite using and 'abusing it' and even nowadays its considered reliable by most users here in Pakistan.In fact,they are a common sight on roads both in urban and rural areas of our country.

    I've got 2 questions and would be really grateful if you guys could help me out.

    1) What I want to know is that- is the Hilux Surf of the early to mid 90s also enjoying this reputation of hardness and durability or is it somewhat 'softer' than its brother,the Hilux double cabin pickup of the early-mid 90s?

    2) Is the Hilux pickup double cabin of the early 6th gen (1998-2000) also as hard and reliable as its predecessor ,the Hilux pickup of 1988-97?

    P.S- I am only talking about imported vehicles,in case local assembled vehicles of these models are also available .

  2. #2
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    imtishal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,881
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    1 - Yes the early model is also quite rough and tough, IF compared to later models.
    2 - Yes it is. But early models of hilux had kamani system all around hence are considered more rugged and tough for off-road use.
    Qaiser Pal,I have not failed.But found 1 of 10,000 ways which doesn't work.....Toyota driver "I couldn't repair my brakes,so i made my horn louder"..When i was born i was so surprised that i didn't talked to one and half year..since light travel faster then sound,people appear bright until you hear them speak..If u can't convince them,confuse them

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    javedikhan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imtishal View Post
    1 - Yes the early model is also quite rough and tough, IF compared to later models.
    2 - Yes it is. But early models of hilux had kamani system all around hence are considered more rugged and tough for off-road use.
    Imtishal bhai-
    Regarding my first question,is there any difference in terms of hardness between the Surf and hilux pickup of the early 90s?Is the surf as 'unbreakable 'as the hilux pickup?

    Considering the Hilux pickups of that era work fine even now,could the same be said for the surf?

    Regarding my second question,what is the kamani system?
    Is the kamani system present in hilux 1998-2000 and in the surf?
    If yes,till what model surf is the kamani system present?

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    joinami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,949
    Follows
    5
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by javedikhan1 View Post
    Imtishal bhai-
    Regarding my first question,is there any difference in terms of hardness between the Surf and hilux pickup of the early 90s?Is the surf as 'unbreakable 'as the hilux pickup?

    Considering the Hilux pickups of that era work fine even now,could the same be said for the surf?

    Regarding my second question,what is the kamani system?
    Is the kamani system present in hilux 1998-2000 and in the surf?
    If yes,till what model surf is the kamani system present?

    SURF never came with leaf Springs (A.K.A Kamani) and front suspension in all post 1996 Hilux is independent . and basically the both generations you inquiring are pretty much the same however engine choice is better in later models (1997 onward ) .
    Hilux is a True work horse i have kept 3 generations of Hilux and its the ultimate thing to drive/keep/work/tour/bush/beat......


    try to get a Diesel Hilux and enjoy ..
    Old is Gold
    Sulfide by Nature ....Trained & Tuned @ Toyota,,,,,,

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    javedikhan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joinami View Post
    SURF never came with leaf Springs (A.K.A Kamani) and front suspension in all post 1996 Hilux is independent . and basically the both generations you inquiring are pretty much the same however engine choice is better in later models (1997 onward ) .
    Hilux is a True work horse i have kept 3 generations of Hilux and its the ultimate thing to drive/keep/work/tour/bush/beat......


    try to get a Diesel Hilux and enjoy ..
    Yeah I definitely prefer diesel over petrol. The reason I wanted a 1998-2000 model was- that it looks as if its made up of real iron and has a harder look to it than the Vigo we have from 2005 onwards.The Vigo,although a great and capable machine but it has "soft"looks.What do you say bro?

  6. #6
    PakWheeler Follow
    javedikhan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @joinami
    Have you taken your hiluxes offroading??
    The newer ones i.e Vigo is an excellent off-roader-what about the older ones?

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    imtishal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,881
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by javedikhan1 View Post
    Imtishal bhai-
    Regarding my first question,is there any difference in terms of hardness between the Surf and hilux pickup of the early 90s?Is the surf as 'unbreakable 'as the hilux pickup?

    Considering the Hilux pickups of that era work fine even now,could the same be said for the surf?

    Regarding my second question,what is the kamani system?
    Is the kamani system present in hilux 1998-2000 and in the surf?
    If yes,till what model surf is the kamani system present?

    if you are referring hardness as roughness then yes, there must be difference as surf has coil spring in rear, which makes it somewhat softer, the plus point of which is less bumpy ride, the -ve is sway under load. But overall, yes surf is almost 'unbreakable'. yes surfs of that era are working fine till now provided if not abused.
    As for kamani system i believe joinami has already explained to you. And no all surfs came with coil spring rear suspension ,well may be the very early model of surf pre-90 might had kamanis (not sure about it though)
    Qaiser Pal,I have not failed.But found 1 of 10,000 ways which doesn't work.....Toyota driver "I couldn't repair my brakes,so i made my horn louder"..When i was born i was so surprised that i didn't talked to one and half year..since light travel faster then sound,people appear bright until you hear them speak..If u can't convince them,confuse them

  8. #8
    PakWheeler Follow
    javedikhan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imtishal View Post
    if you are referring hardness as roughness then yes, there must be difference as surf has coil spring in rear, which makes it somewhat softer, the plus point of which is less bumpy ride, the -ve is sway under load. But overall, yes surf is almost 'unbreakable'. yes surfs of that era are working fine till now provided if not abused.
    As for kamani system i believe joinami has already explained to you. And no all surfs came with coil spring rear suspension ,well may be the very early model of surf pre-90 might had kamanis (not sure about it though)
    Thanks bhai for the detailed explanation.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •