Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By ahmar.mirza
  • 1 Post By noman8ff
  • 1 Post By ahmar.mirza
  • 1 Post By noman8ff
  • 2 Post By sherkhan
  • 4 Post By noman8ff
  • 1 Post By waqqasnasir
  • 1 Post By noman8ff
  • 1 Post By sherkhan

Thread: SJ410 suspension

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    ahmar.mirza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    3
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default SJ410 suspension

    I have recently got a suzuki sj410. The ride quality is not very comfortable due to its current suspension setup. I wanted to know if its easy to change its suspension to that of siera and will it make it more comfortable? And any ideas how much will it cost to change the whole suspension and will it be bolt on or do i need any alterations?

    I would appreciate replies from experts regarding it as I am totally new to this 4x4 thing and I want my jeep to be safe for off-road and as a daily runner.


  2. #2
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    qwertypoiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    29,128
    Follows
    2
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Its better not to touch it and live with it, there is no great solution to its hard suspension.
    RIP

  3. #3
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    noman8ff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,758
    Follows
    10
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    the leaf springs are bolt on. get the original 3 springs and a jumper spring in front and 4 + 1 at rear. also get original good quality shocks and it will to some extend improve the set up. also mention the types of tires (tire size) and rims u r running. if not clear pls call me on 03335119925 and i'll explain.

  4. #4
    PakWheeler Follow
    ahmar.mirza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    3
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    At the moment its having stock tires n rims. But i definitely would go for wider tires and some better looking rims. Any suggestions on that as well?

    Quote Originally Posted by noman8ff View Post
    the leaf springs are bolt on. get the original 3 springs and a jumper spring in front and 4 + 1 at rear. also get original good quality shocks and it will to some extend improve the set up. also mention the types of tires (tire size) and rims u r running. if not clear pls call me on 03335119925 and i'll explain.

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    ahmar.mirza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    3
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Plus the setup you mentioned, any ideas how much would that cost? My plan is to first get comfortable suspension then upgrade the looks.

    Quote Originally Posted by noman8ff View Post
    the leaf springs are bolt on. get the original 3 springs and a jumper spring in front and 4 + 1 at rear. also get original good quality shocks and it will to some extend improve the set up. also mention the types of tires (tire size) and rims u r running. if not clear pls call me on 03335119925 and i'll explain.

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    noman8ff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,758
    Follows
    10
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    so as i told earlier, get the original leafs and shocks and than will discuss the rest

  7. #7
    PakWheeler Follow
    sherkhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    49
    Posts
    60
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    AoA,

    @noman8ff and qwertypoiu

    I have the same question and many ppl. have converted to Jimny/Sierra coil spring suspension and infact am going today to a mechanic who claims has done this kind of alterations.

    What are the drawbacks as you both experts are advising against it?
    It will be very helpful if any of you guys explains in detail the pros n cons, I love my first buy 89' SJ410 and not getting any younger so I need a softer ride
    It's the best rough n tough ride in city traffic jams and I call it boxer as has broken many rickshaw noses

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    waqqasnasir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,106
    Follows
    1
    Following
    18
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @noman8ff sir

    I am also interested in this alteration.... if this is advisable and total cost estimate..
    Winning is not every thing .... its the only thing

  9. #9
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    noman8ff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,758
    Follows
    10
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Hmmmmmmmmm

    A very difficult and tricky thing to explain.

    The problem of hard suspension of an sj 410 can be solved but it does have some negatives.

    Like the stock leafs are 3 in front and 5 at rear (less the jumper leaf). So if you just make them 3 in front and 4 genuine springs in rear, the ride will slightly improve but the problem you will face is that the veh will get lowered once loaded (means 4 to 5 ppl) and the rubber pieces on top of the tubes will hit the frame.

    Same is the case with the coil springs. The ride wil improve but once loaded it will be a problem.

    And this is the problem with all light weight vehicles that more leafs make them hard and both less leafs and coils make the ride soft but less load bearable.

    What i used to do is to keep stock leafs, means 3+5 and would use 15" rims and bigger tires so that on events of IJC i can reduce the tire pressure and get a comfortable ride. The stock 6X16 general tires can also work bot if u keep less than 18/ 20 pounds of air pressure.

    Going for coil spring is just as you reduce the no of leaf springs. And just to explain, if you keep only 2 leafs at front and 2 at rear, the drive will be like a crown, but than weight lifting will be a problem. I hope something is clear?

    Just to give you an example, a person went to a skin specialist to show him pimples on his face. The dr asked, what do you eat? And the reply started with 5 eggs in the braekfast followed by a long list of hot meals. The dr asked why do u eat so much of protein and the person replied that he does body building also. The dr than commented that, " either you can become Shah Rukh Khan or Arnold".

  10. #10
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    waqqasnasir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,106
    Follows
    1
    Following
    18
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Shahrukh or Arnold ...

    very nicely explained
    Winning is not every thing .... its the only thing

  11. #11
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    sarmadqureshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,599
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Question

    @noman8ff what is the cost of getting a decent Suzuki 410/413 these days? One that requires no work and all.
    TLC FJ90 SWB ~ 1KZ-TE ~ 50mm OEM Lift

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    noman8ff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,758
    Follows
    10
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarmadqureshi View Post
    @noman8ff what is the cost of getting a decent Suzuki 410/413 these days? One that requires no work and all.
    Around 4 if it's stock and 4,50 of it has power steering and front discs/ survo. And soft tops have no price tags.

  13. #13
    PakWheeler Follow
    sherkhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    49
    Posts
    60
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Thank you very much noman8ff for a very thorough explanation and sharing valuable info.

    Well, for me it certainly works as 90% it will be me only or 1+1,I hardly will carry any heavier load.
    Though I've seen pictures and videos of some extreme mods done to suspension and some very good off roading with SJ410s.

    My jeep has seen a lot of action in early 90's,before these rallies where started we were doing some extreme stunts beyond jeep's limit and used to race on chenab ,ravi and indus banks while hunting tours and it was a lot of fun
    The tiny 970cc engine and it's very impressive 4x4 pulled a bogged 3door 85 Pajero as we did not have any winches.

    In city it's not a problem but if on a broken road it feels rather bumpy though I'm having 235/70/15 tyres (The 2C engine can easily drag low pressure tyres)
    I'm planning to go for a G13bb engine with either original or Jimny/
    Samurai transmission + suspension and might go for adjustable long travel heavy duty softer shocks.Front disc brakes too.
    I've seen a sample of 86 model jeep and test drove it yesterday,there was considerable difference in ride comfort.According to the owner it was 98 model suspension however the engine/gear was original.
    I do not have any plans to lift it but lift kits for SJ410 are available (those might be for leaf springs).
    There are plans for power steering and some other cosmetic changes as well.
    I might also change the original front seats to some comfy car's bucket seats and rear jump seats will be cut short for 1+1 or may be no rear seats at back

    Anyway thank you very much for your replies.
    cheers!

  14. #14
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    noman8ff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,758
    Follows
    10
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sherkhan View Post
    Thank you very much noman8ff for a very thorough explanation and sharing valuable info.

    Well, for me it certainly works as 90% it will be me only or 1+1,I hardly will carry any heavier load.
    Though I've seen pictures and videos of some extreme mods done to suspension and some very good off roading with SJ410s.

    My jeep has seen a lot of action in early 90's,before these rallies where started we were doing some extreme stunts beyond jeep's limit and used to race on chenab ,ravi and indus banks while hunting tours and it was a lot of fun
    The tiny 970cc engine and it's very impressive 4x4 pulled a bogged 3door 85 Pajero as we did not have any winches.

    In city it's not a problem but if on a broken road it feels rather bumpy though I'm having 235/70/15 tyres (The 2C engine can easily drag low pressure tyres)
    I'm planning to go for a G13bb engine with either original or Jimny/
    Samurai transmission + suspension and might go for adjustable long travel heavy duty softer shocks.Front disc brakes too.
    I've seen a sample of 86 model jeep and test drove it yesterday,there was considerable difference in ride comfort.According to the owner it was 98 model suspension however the engine/gear was original.
    I do not have any plans to lift it but lift kits for SJ410 are available (those might be for leaf springs).
    There are plans for power steering and some other cosmetic changes as well.
    I might also change the original front seats to some comfy car's bucket seats and rear jump seats will be cut short for 1+1 or may be no rear seats at back

    Anyway thank you very much for your replies.
    cheers!
    my pleasure brother.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •