Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Some tips and suggestions regarding the Land Cruiser 60 series

So brothers,
    I have been trying for an SUV for past 6 or so months-(this is probably my third thread asking for suggestions) but somehow circumstances have not allowed me. Now I am hopeful that my efforts will be fruitful and soon I will be the owner of my first SUV.
    One vehicle that has grabbed my attention is the Land Cruiser 60 series,particularly the later models of 1988-89.I have seen good clean vehicles which have clocked only 100-150k kilometers.It is indeed a truly tough and durable vehicle.

My major concerns are:

1) It is a known fact that the LC 60 have been known to cross well above 500,000 km ..So if I get a decent,maintained one having approximately 100,000 mileage(and is 25+ years old), and spend some cash on it , can I expect it to serve me for a further 300,000-400,000 km ?

2) How much frequent and costly maintenance would be required to keep it in good condition ?

3) Will it be reliable enough to go on long,bumpy journeys keeping in mind its age?
    4)What about motorway/highway performance?
    5) Is it likely to have overheating issues in hot weather?
    Or issues in extreme cold on northern areas in winter?

Thanks

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys please come on...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by javedikhan1 View Post
    So brothers,
    I have been trying for an SUV for past 6 or so months-(this is probably my third thread asking for suggestions) but somehow circumstances have not allowed me. Now I am hopeful that my efforts will be fruitful and soon I will be the owner of my first SUV.
    One vehicle that has grabbed my attention is the Land Cruiser 60 series,particularly the later models of 1988-89.I have seen good clean vehicles which have clocked only 100-150k kilometers.It is indeed a truly tough and durable vehicle.

My major concerns are:

1) It is a known fact that the LC 60 have been known to cross well above 500,000 km ..So if I get a decent,maintained one having approximately 100,000 mileage(and is 25+ years old), and spend some cash on it , can I expect it to serve me for a further 300,000-400,000 km ?

2) How much frequent and costly maintenance would be required to keep it in good condition ?

3) Will it be reliable enough to go on long,bumpy journeys keeping in mind its age?
    4)What about motorway/highway performance?
    5) Is it likely to have overheating issues in hot weather?
    Or issues in extreme cold on northern areas in winter?

Thanks
    JK1 brother I will try to give answers to all your questions, but I have never owned a 60 series though I have driven a BJ60 a HJ60 and FJ62 converted to a 2H diesel.

1. I don't think that you can find a 60 with 100K to 150K on the clock or for that matter any 25 to 30 year old car. All over the world, on an average cars do 25K to 30K kilometers per year. So if you multiply that with the number of years you get a fair idea, though exceptions are always there.

2. TLCs in general are built to last, and I have seen quite a few running fine on maintenance as and when needed basis. The parts are easy to find and not very expensive, with the exception of few. When ever you buy a 60 try to avoid a 12HT. That is the only engine which might give you some issues regarding the parts. Avoid an automatic aswell. Stick to a basic and you will be just fine.

3. On reliability, you will have to work on it to make it reliable(as these are 30 year old). These TLCs are amazing vehicles, you fix it, shut it, and forget it. Though these will keep on throwing small headaches at you but no major one. Regarding the bumpy journeys in literal terms, yes leaf springs are a little uncomfortable, but on a LWB vehicle its not that big an issue. But never compare it to a coil spring setup, and that too of an eighty.

4. On highways and motorways its not that bad, again if you do not compare it to modern day cars or SUVs. It can sit comfortably at 100 to 110 Km/H for extended periods on motorway. Handling is a bit truck like but still not that bad.

5. Old engines are prone to overheating, but again if you get a good solid engine or if you get one rebuilt by a good mechanic it should not be an issue.

Never forget that you plan to buy a thirty year old car, it will keep you occupied but if you love a TLC 60 you will love every thing it throws at you.

My experience with Toyotas in general and Land Cruisers in particular have taught me that they never betray you, these amazing cars always bring you back home.

TC

P.S. I am not a guru there are a lot of other guys who will guide you a lot better
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well hsumbal has addressed your questions already. Since you have made up your mind of 60 series it fine.
    But as I have seen things in realy old vehicles its really really hard to find a good clean worthy vehicle so its better to buy a cheap one and restore it.

Maybe if you are able to find one registered before 2009 (no WHT tax payable) and restore it. That will be most economical.
    Secondly thing which I hate about these old vehicles is the steering play its horrible.

Other thing I have learned after my experience is just close your eyes and jump abroad the 4x4 ship... if you research and think too much you wont be able to decide and end up buying new corolla.
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    Well hsumbal has addressed your questions already. Since you have made up your mind of 60 series it fine.
    But as I have seen things in realy old vehicles its really really hard to find a good clean worthy vehicle so its better to buy a cheap one and restore it.

Maybe if you are able to find one registered before 2009 (no WHT tax payable) and restore it. That will be most economical.
    Secondly thing which I hate about these old vehicles is the steering play its horrible.

Other thing I have learned after my experience is just close your eyes and jump abroad the 4x4 ship... if you research and think too much you wont be able to decide and end up buying new corolla.

Sir regarding the play in the steering, I mentioned that you should not compare it to a modern day car or SUV. With a little bit of effort and work you can reduce the play to acceptable/safe level.

I drive a 40 with a steering setup a bit from 60 and a bit from 70, with a sway bar(commonly known as a control arm) added on the front suspension. That has improved the handling reasonably.

Here is a pic
    Some tips and suggestions regarding the Land Cruiser 60 series -1554511Some tips and suggestions regarding the Land Cruiser 60 series -1554512
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hsumbal1 View Post
    JK1 brother I will try to give answers to all your questions, but I have never owned a 60 series though I have driven a BJ60 a HJ60 and FJ62 converted to a 2H diesel.

1. I don't think that you can find a 60 with 100K to 150K on the clock or for that matter any 25 to 30 year old car. All over the world, on an average cars do 25K to 30K kilometers per year. So if you multiply that with the number of years you get a fair idea, though exceptions are always there.

2. TLCs in general are built to last, and I have seen quite a few running fine on maintenance as and when needed basis. The parts are easy to find and not very expensive, with the exception of few. When ever you buy a 60 try to avoid a 12HT. That is the only engine which might give you some issues regarding the parts. Avoid an automatic aswell. Stick to a basic and you will be just fine.

3. On reliability, you will have to work on it to make it reliable(as these are 30 year old). These TLCs are amazing vehicles, you fix it, shut it, and forget it. Though these will keep on throwing small headaches at you but no major one. Regarding the bumpy journeys in literal terms, yes leaf springs are a little uncomfortable, but on a LWB vehicle its not that big an issue. But never compare it to a coil spring setup, and that too of an eighty.

4. On highways and motorways its not that bad, again if you do not compare it to modern day cars or SUVs. It can sit comfortably at 100 to 110 Km/H for extended periods on motorway. Handling is a bit truck like but still not that bad.

5. Old engines are prone to overheating, but again if you get a good solid engine or if you get one rebuilt by a good mechanic it should not be an issue.

Never forget that you plan to buy a thirty year old car, it will keep you occupied but if you love a TLC 60 you will love every thing it throws at you.

My experience with Toyotas in general and Land Cruisers in particular have taught me that they never betray you, these amazing cars always bring you back home.

TC

P.S. I am not a guru there are a lot of other guys who will guide you a lot better
    brother,firstly thanks for your detailed answer.
    Secondly,as far as mileage is concerned, if you look at PakWheels used sections you'll see quite a few 60 series which have only 100-150k.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post

Bro as for your last point I guess you are right bcoz I am in that situation where i am trying to find the "perfect" SUV and hence unable to make my mind. On another note, if I do restore an old 60 which has done 100-150k km,how much further you think I can keep it?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

brother,firstly thanks for your detailed answer.
    Secondly,as far as mileage is concerned, if you look at PakWheels used sections you'll see quite a few 60 series which have only 100-150k.
    Never ever trust the ODO when buying a second hand car....always look and assess the condition...
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Though Hameed bro have addressed your question very accurately .
    And believe me there is 1/1000 chance of getting a 60 series in such low KMs.
    If you lucky to find such a low Km car than it will surely be more in price tag from a usually 80 series .
    Rest 60 series can never be a Daily runner and it will always drive like a light truck and ride will be reasonably bumpy .
    It's a good off road vehicle though but being so old it will keep demanding T&C when ever you come back from a long trip .
    Try to find one with a B series engine if you can as it quite cheap to maintain . And B series are known for reliability .
    If its Gonna be your first SUV than at least start with a Coil suspension at the front at least .
    The spare parts ( used) are quite cheap as compare to 70 or 80 series.

But it's true that do not think too much other wise you end up in buying nothing .

Best wishes for your new ride .

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    Old is Gold
    Sulfide by Nature ....Trained & Tuned @ Toyota,,,,,,

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by joinami View Post
    Though Hameed bro have addressed your question very accurately .
    And believe me there is 1/1000 chance of getting a 60 series in such low KMs.
    If you lucky to find such a low Km car than it will surely be more in price tag from a usually 80 series .
    Rest 60 series can never be a Daily runner and it will always drive like a light truck and ride will be reasonably bumpy .
    It's a good off road vehicle though but being so old it will keep demanding T&C when ever you come back from a long trip .
    Try to find one with a B series engine if you can as it quite cheap to maintain . And B series are known for reliability .
    If its Gonna be your first SUV than at least start with a Coil suspension at the front at least .
    The spare parts ( used) are quite cheap as compare to 70 or 80 series.

But it's true that do not think too much other wise you end up in buying nothing .

Best wishes for your new ride .

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    Hmmm..points to ponder.Anyway thanks alot bhai jaan

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hsumbal1 View Post
    Never ever trust the ODO when buying a second hand car....always look and assess the condition...
    Thanks for the advice bro.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I can understand the situation you are in since I was in a same fix one month earlier. I ended up buying a hj61 with 12ht. I would agree with the gurus here to get a simpler engine like a 3b, but the one I got was really taken care of mechanically. It does 140-160 kph like a piece of cake and recent trips on a highway got 9-10 km/ litre.

One golden rule to follow is to get a vehicle as stock as possible without alterations. Keep it simple.

One thing I have learned in car maintenance is to get it fixed right the first time and find a competent mechanic who understands the same. Believe you me, pay to get it right the first time around, it will cost you cheaper in the long run.

Maintenance checklist

Get all the oils changed. (diffs, engine, transmission)
    Get the damn radiator serviced and if need be get it replaced, with a proper coolant. (In my experience 95% engine killer is a screwed up radiator)
    Get the filters replaced. (Oil, fuel, air)
    Get the suspension serviced and replace faulty parts.
    Get the drive shafts serviced and if faulty replace or repair.
    Get the brakes serviced and install new pads.
    Get the alignment and balancing done. (Have the rims inspected as well as the tyres, replacing these will solve 50% of ride issues.
    Get the engine and misc pulleys inspected and replace if faulty.

If you do the above I am sure the vehicle will serve you for a memorable time.

Routine maintenance would be as with all vehicles, timely engine oil change with filters (oil,fuel air). Radiator kept rust free. (Do not underestimate this).

Good luck finding a well taken care of vehicle.
    Opportunities are limited... Work with what you have to get to what you want...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

By the way what is your budget, depending on which you may get better recommendations from gurus here.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kamranyousuf View Post
    I can understand the situation you are in since I was in a same fix one month earlier. I ended up buying a hj61 with 12ht. I would agree with the gurus here to get a simpler engine like a 3b, but the one I got was really taken care of mechanically. It does 140-160 kph like a piece of cake and recent trips on a highway got 9-10 km/ litre.

One golden rule to follow is to get a vehicle as stock as possible without alterations. Keep it simple.

One thing I have learned in car maintenance is to get it fixed right the first time and find a competent mechanic who understands the same. Believe you me, pay to get it right the first time around, it will cost you cheaper in the long run.

Maintenance checklist

Get all the oils changed. (diffs, engine, transmission)
    Get the damn radiator serviced and if need be get it replaced, with a proper coolant. (In my experience 95% engine killer is a screwed up radiator)
    Get the filters replaced. (Oil, fuel, air)
    Get the suspension serviced and replace faulty parts.
    Get the drive shafts serviced and if faulty replace or repair.
    Get the brakes serviced and install new pads.
    Get the alignment and balancing done. (Have the rims inspected as well as the tyres, replacing these will solve 50% of ride issues.
    Get the engine and misc pulleys inspected and replace if faulty.

If you do the above I am sure the vehicle will serve you for a memorable time.

Routine maintenance would be as with all vehicles, timely engine oil change with filters (oil,fuel air). Radiator kept rust free. (Do not underestimate this).

Good luck finding a well taken care of vehicle.
    Bro your reply really answered many of my queries.
    And yes,I agree that the vehicle should have as less alteration as possible. And lastly,how much mileage has yours done and if you dont mind the price you bought it?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bro your reply really answered many of my queries.
    And yes,I agree that the vehicle should have as less alteration as possible. And lastly,how much mileage has yours done and if you dont mind the price you bought it?
    A 30 year old human has more miles than what you are expecting from a vehicle.

Janab take a 30 year old car's mileage with a pinch of salt... as already suggested here take a general assessment of the vehicle and if possible have a test drive for at least 30 minutes. This will tell tales. And most important of all reach at least half an hour before agreed time for inspecting the vehicle.

As for price, a good maintained vehicle in stock condition should be in a ball park figure of 600,000 to 800,000.

It is your judgement in the end. As the saying goes shauk ka koi mol nahee.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

[QUOTE=kamranyousuf;4739991]A 30 year old human has more miles than what you are expecting from a vehicle.

Janab take a 30 year old car's mileage with a pinch of salt... as already suggested here take a general assessment of the vehicle and if possible have a test drive for at least 30 minutes. This will tell tales. And most important of all reach at least half an hour before agreed time for inspecting the vehicle.

As for price, a good maintained vehicle in stock condition should be in a ball park figure of 600,000 to 800,000.

It is your judgement in the end. As the saying goes shauk ka koi mol nahee.[/QUO

Agree.Especially that to reach before agreed time.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@jehanzebnasir you are liking all the posts but no reply,why? You also own an impressive 60 series Masha'Allah

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@jehanzebnasir you are liking all the posts but no reply,why? You also own an impressive 60 series Masha'Allah
    Although jehanzeb sahib has sold his ride but Thanks to @jehanzebnasir I got in contact with a mechanic who did the job quite competently on my hj61. But one word of advice as with going to any doctor, research the disease yourself.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Also timely and on the dot diagnosis from @HamzahF saved the day and I got the problem rectified. The senior members here are great people with valuable advice. Hats off to them.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Actually I think most of your question s have already been answered so I havent replied, I am still proud that I had one of the cleanest/unaltered 60, the only reason I sold it, was to upgrade to newer SUV and to make it my daily runner as well, secondly if I wont have sold my 60, i would have gone lift kit and MTs, so I thought couple of months (one of the difficult decision of my life) before making my decision whether to spend more on her or to sell it and upgrade.

1. I had 2H, 3980cc, non turbo engine with 425000 kms driven without overhauling and even nozzles were still original, giving 7.5-8.3 km/l in city, it was having 5 speed manual transmission, max 11 km/l wo AC on highway @ 100 km/h.

2. Al hamd o lillah I havent encountered any problem regarding engine, transmission and differentials. Vehicle was all original but not maintained well, so I did changed all its oils, filters, belts, leaking seals, suspension bushes, shocks, tie rod ends, brake booster, generator, self, batteries, alot of faulty relays, lights, thermostat valve, new sound system etc, did all the preventive maintainence in short and the most costly item was new Yokohama Geolandar AT/s. I spent almost 350k on her, but now she was not having a single rupee work left, and my confidence was never let down by her, even if I had to go to skardu by middle of night, all I needed was to fill the tank, thats all, al hamd o lillah.

3. I made my trip to Naran-Babusar-Astore-Rama-Chilum-Deosai-Skardu-Shigar-Khaplu-Hunza and way back in Aug 2013, here is the link:

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4...ptember-2013-a

For bumpy roads you can decrease the air pressure to 27 psi and it will be quite comfortable.

4. These SUVs are not designed for high speed motorway cruising, it aerodynamics is too bad, you can get 11km/l wo AC @ 90km/h and 8.5 km/l @110km/h. Air resistance is a major factor.

5. I came to know that my thermostat valve is not working properly when we were in Deosai, so I came back to Lahore and got it checked and to my surprise it was still original one, and it was getting struck when it gets hot, so I got new one in two to three weeks after ordering and replaced, no issue afterwards, I put Toyota Anti Freeze Coolant that works upto -37C, before visiting Kalam in Feb 2013, and the beast got started in second self even in -11C, I put 4 gallons of coolant and it costed me Rs. 9500 alone , here is the link enjoy:

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4...nowplow-2013-a

It was having a single alteration thats was an after market AC, as it was London model GX originally.

So i would recommend to get an un altered SUV and spend money on her slowly.

You will find answer to your each and every question in the link below:

60-Series Wagons | IH8MUD Forum

I kept on reading this forum for hours, in order to search for my probelms and I figured out almost all the probelms by myself.

In case you need further info, do let me know, you are more than welcome.

I came to know about the meanings of two statements by my HJ60 experience:

1. A non turbo diesel engine is half the engine. But good for newbies.

2. Jeep is a way of life, my kids regularly ask me when are we getting our new Jeep ?

Welcome to Jeep family.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List