Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Manual to automatic transmission Gen 1 Pajero

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    ugkhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    52
    Posts
    136
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Manual to automatic transmission Gen 1 Pajero

    I am considering converting my Gen 1 pajero 4d56 tdi from manual to automatic transmission. A few mechanics I have talked to say this is doable but not recommended! What are the views of the experts?
    Any benefits or drawbacks.
    Regards


  2. #21
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    sami_voodoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,701
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thinking View Post
    bro doesnt this mean that the intercooler pajeros are not supposed to be used on motorways.

    limited application??

    Call it what you want, cruising speeds of 4x4s of that era was 70 km/h on the low end and 90 km/h on the top end. GT road was suited perfectly to them. The motorway unnecessarily stresses them out.
    Wise men think alike and fools never disagree...

    A siren is just a woman's face on the body of a Tuna...

  3. #22
    PakWheeler Follow
    ugkhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    52
    Posts
    136
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MITSU_MAN View Post
    Sir......
    That would be your luck (good or bad) entirely.......
    ONLY the served pudding would define the ingredients used.....
    Local ustaads....
    However.....
    Are likely to spoil the broth......
    Consider subletting the conversion job to someone educated....
    A thorough professional....
    sami_voodoo.....
    Btw, if this is of any help....
    Correct tranny code to look for....
    Is 4AW2
    Thanks again.
    Will look for 4AW2!

  4. #23
    PakWheeler Follow
    ugkhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    52
    Posts
    136
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thinking View Post
    bro doesnt this mean that the intercooler pajeros are not supposed to be used on motorways.

    limited application??
    I think this limitation is restricted to 4d56 engines. Intercooler pajeros with 4m40 can probably cruise at motorway speed without ill effects.

  5. #24
    PakWheeler Follow
    ugkhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    52
    Posts
    136
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sami_voodoo View Post
    You're too kind. I haven't tackled these kinds of conversions, ever. You need a proper transmission dyno to troubleshoot these A/Ts
    Any suggestions from where to get this conversion done in Rwp/Islamabad. Thanks

  6. #25
    PakWheeler Follow
    taskheershamas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thinking View Post
    bro doesnt this mean that the intercooler pajeros are not supposed to be used on motorways.

    limited application??
    You can use them but do not floor them most of the time. i have blown my 2 4D56 motors on motorway.
    Always a brides maid ...never a bride

  7. #26
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Thinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,300
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sami_voodoo View Post
    Call it what you want, cruising speeds of 4x4s of that era was 70 km/h on the low end and 90 km/h on the top end. GT road was suited perfectly to them. The motorway unnecessarily stresses them out.
    i dont know why are u replying to me in anger.

    its just that i believe there must be a solution to this. i dont expect this from japanese

  8. #27
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Thinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,300
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taskheershamas View Post
    You can use them but do not floor them most of the time. i have blown my 2 4D56 motors on motorway.
    My cousin has an Exceed version and i always used to think why he never bring his inter cooler to ISB.

    so i think either these should be with a 6 speed box in manual or a bigger radiator to address the issue.

  9. #28
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    sami_voodoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,701
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thinking View Post
    i dont know why are u replying to me in anger.

    its just that i believe there must be a solution to this. i dont expect this from japanese
    Anger? Not at all. For any piece of machinery, the closer you are operating to its limit, the greater the chances of failure. That's all that there is to it. Of course there is a solution, drive slower. Or, alternately, find a way to make the engine spin slower. The easiest way to to do that is by usng an Auto transmission.
    Wise men think alike and fools never disagree...

    A siren is just a woman's face on the body of a Tuna...

  10. #29
    PakWheeler Follow
    MITSU_MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    47
    Posts
    872
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    And here we go again.......
    This has been discussed so so so many times.....
    Summarizing once again.....
    Miss too bee shee waley......
    Bhaiyaan dey naam....
    4D56 tey 4M40
    For 'M' from the Manual.....
    Read GT road!!!
    'M' stands for......
    'Mian' dee Hotel dee daal at Kharian......
    'A' from the Auto (besides the real name of 99% politicians of our country)......
    Stands for 'Aram naal Motorway te lang jao'......
    Te j hun v samajh na avey......
    Aur qila daba k rakhan da arman na javey......
    Tey 4M41, 6G72, 74, ya 75 dee kharchay dee tyaree pharoo sarkar!
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

  11. #30
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Proverbial_Slang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    3,904
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    To be honest, me being an ignorant auto enthusiast thought at first that this can't be right because most cars with manual transmissions have higher top speeds and lower top gear ratios. It appears that this is not the case with Pajeros despite the fact that the manual is 5 forward and Auto is 4 forward.

    It would have been much easier if anyone had posted the gear ratios (which I will now). The 1 flaw in above information I spotted was the auto transmission code. I believe it is AW03 (1st gen auto) instead of 4AW2 (2nd gen gearbox).

    I am also surprised as to why the experts haven't suggested the simplest solution of putting on larger diameter tires.

    Another solution would be to change the manual with a V6 auto. I think it fits but acceleration at low speeds will suffer.

    My 2 cents.
    Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.

  12. #31
    PakWheeler Follow
    MITSU_MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    47
    Posts
    872
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbial_Slang View Post
    To be honest, me being an ignorant auto enthusiast thought at first that this can't be right because most cars with manual transmissions have higher top speeds and lower top gear ratios. It appears that this is not the case with Pajeros despite the fact that the manual is 5 forward and Auto is 4 forward.

    It would have been much easier if anyone had posted the gear ratios (which I will now). The 1 flaw in above information I spotted was the auto transmission code. I believe it is AW03 (1st gen auto) instead of 4AW2 (2nd gen gearbox).

    I am also surprised as to why the experts haven't suggested the simplest solution of putting on larger diameter tires.

    Another solution would be to change the manual with a V6 auto. I think it fits but acceleration at low speeds will suffer.

    My 2 cents.
    Brother.....
    4AW3 is for 2800 auto or 3500 auto.....
    4AW2 mates with 4D56, 6G72 and 4G64....
    Hope this helps.....
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •