Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Thinking of Building an FJ40

Dear Members,

First off, new FJ40 fan boy here so please pardon my lack of knowledge.

I have been thinking about building a customized FJ40. This car will most likely be driven daily, so I want somewhat fuel economy and comfort. There are a few fixed demands and a few variables. I am aware that what I want, will end up costing me more than Rs. 1 Million, but I still do not have an unlimited budget. Let's see if we can get the best bang for the buck. I would ask senior pakwheelers to help me with the costing and enlighten me with your knowledge/experience.

Fixed Demands

1) Power - Need decent power/acceleration. I am thinking of a 2UZ or 1UZ
    2) Comfort - It will be driven daily. I know it's not built for softies, but I still do not want my back to hurt so need good suspension.
    3) Tires/Rims - Ideally 33 inch tires with spacers to widen the profile
    4) ABS
    5) A/C
    6) Auto transmission (ideally) but fine with manual as well
    7) Custom steel bumper (maybe ARB style) witch winch
    8) Power steering
    8) good quality seats

In the end I would like the end product to resemble somewhat like the pictures below.

Attached Images Attached Images     
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Will give more
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1984 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 for sale
    PKR 650,000
    https://www.pakwheels.com/used-cars/...amabad-1153118

Shared via Pakwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Initiator View Post
    @kambrit .. lovely ride bro. Very well done @shahzad401 ... kindly share the pics
    @yshah82 ... I'll call you in a cpl of days

@suhaibKiani ... just the kind of response I was looking for. I have a go-getter attitude with things, and once I have made up my mind, I'll get it done insha'Allah. Point noted to start with a restored vehicle and improve as required. Let's have a chat some time. I added you on linkedin. First Name: Ahmed.

Good then. I would recommend that you should test drive 2 or 3 of the best 40s that you can find in Islamabad. Talk to their owners on history of the car, its restoration and specific mods done to it. It will give you an idea of whether this is a vehicle for you or not, and whether you want a hard top / soft top etc etc. In my view, between 6-7 lakhs, if you can get one a properly done up one (which do not have hidden kharchas and/or under the carpet issues) its a good deal at the end of the day. I am posting below the link of the 'comfy' 40 which is also up for sale. All the best.

Used Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 1981 Car for sale in Islamabad - 918642 | PakWheels
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well aisy to na karein. Just checkout my beloved fj :p

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1984 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 for sale
    PKR 650,000
    https://www.pakwheels.com/used-cars/...amabad-1153118

Shared via Pakwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by shahzad401 View Post
    Well aisy to na karein. Just checkout my beloved fj :p
    Indeed! Wonderful looking vehicle and the price is attractive too!
    Is it parked outside race course ground in the pics there?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

N its rebuilt by farooq awan bhai. City sadar

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

N i am the first owner n i have all the details. Bus meri shadi sir py hai is waja sy.....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It's only Toyota jeep with aggressive looks

Fj40(84), ae101(95),e36 (1998 face lift).

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear if any body want to sale his Bj or Fj 40 plz let me know!

aur111@hotmail.com

Amigos

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Good then. I would recommend that you should test drive 2 or 3 of the best 40s that you can find in Islamabad. Talk to their owners on history of the car, its restoration and specific mods done to it. It will give you an idea of whether this is a vehicle for you or not, and whether you want a hard top / soft top etc etc. In my view, between 6-7 lakhs, if you can get one a properly done up one (which do not have hidden kharchas and/or under the carpet issues) its a good deal at the end of the day. I am posting below the link of the 'comfy' 40 which is also up for sale. All the best.

Used Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 1981 Car for sale in Islamabad - 918642 | PakWheels
    Indeed! I discussed it with my brother last night. The decision has been made, and now it's just the matter of finding a well built Fj40. Among others, I will definitely check out the one suggested by you. Could you please let me know the approx costs for the following?

1) engine swap - 2uz or 1uz .. both with and without auto tranny
    2) suspension upgrade for a comfy ride
    3) disc brakes all around

kind regards
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Indeed! I discussed it with my brother last night. The decision has been made, and now it's just the matter of finding a well built Fj40. Among others, I will definitely check out the one suggested by you. Could you please let me know the approx costs for the following?

1) engine swap - 2uz or 1uz .. both with and without auto tranny
    2) suspension upgrade for a comfy ride
    3) disc brakes all around

kind regards
    1. The important thing is that there is a huge difference between 2UZ and 1UZ cost and maintenance while there is not as much power/torque difference for a small vehicle. In the 1UZ there are two main variants: the vvti vs non-vvti. The vvti is for about 110k while the older non vvti is about 90k for engine gear and essential electronics. The overall cost of installation would probably be double the amount for each, though it can vary....
    2. If you want to do it proper, FJ70 leafs 20k for all four. Rancho second hand shocks 15k or Bilstein new ones USD 80 each. Stabilizer bars front and back 10k.
    3. Not sure but if you replace diffs to a 70 series it will be...again not sure.

Prices are indicative only and there always can be unforseen expenditures, and a more rigorous exercise would be needed to pin things down....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1. The important thing is that there is a huge difference between 2UZ and 1UZ cost and maintenance while there is not as much power/torque difference for a small vehicle. In the 1UZ there are two main variants: the vvti vs non-vvti. The vvti is for about 110k while the older non vvti is about 90k for engine gear and essential electronics. The overall cost of installation would probably be double the amount for each, though it can vary....
    2. If you want to do it proper, FJ70 leafs 20k for all four. Rancho second hand shocks 15k or Bilstein new ones USD 80 each. Stabilizer bars front and back 10k.
    3. Not sure but if you replace diffs to a 70 series it will be...again not sure.

Prices are indicative only and there always can be unforseen expenditures, and a more rigorous exercise would be needed to pin things down....
    Thank you very much Suhaib saheb. Greatly appreciated!

The (approx) figures you have quoted are not too far off from what I had on my mind. I get that give or take I am looking at Rs. 400K for engine, suspension, brakes and power steering. Perhaps will need another 30 - 40 K for air conditioning as well. So around Rs 450K in total.

You're very right that the performance difference between 2UZ and 1UZ does not justify the price difference.

Apologies in advance if you think that I am bombarding you with questions, but I really do have a few more.

1- 1UZ is primarily mated for non 4x4 vehicles. Does it make a difference if installed in a 4x4?
    2- Ideally I would want auto tranny plus 4x4 gears .. is it a good idea or should I stick to manual? What would be expense in both cases?
    3) We may have limited options available on tires/rims in Pakistan. I'm thinking of 33', but am not really sure about the available options and associated costs. Please enlighten.

Regards,

Ahmed
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

WRT to point 1, what's the scope in Pindi market for electricians making a 1UZ VVTi manual setup run properly/reliably, addressing all that immobilizer and common engine/gear ECU bull? How frequent are engine hiccups arising from wiring issues? For the torsion bar, I do know that both front and rear 70 axles do have the mounting points, questions are; are the torsion bars the same for the pre 1990 and post 1990 models which have a smaller front diff? Where can they be had?

From purely theoretical grounds, I dream that a VVTi 1UZ will be best suited to 4x4 applications, considering its near electric motor like torque curve..
    Flat six flattening things out!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by HamzahF View Post
    WRT to point 1, what's the scope in Pindi market for electricians making a 1UZ VVTi manual setup run properly/reliably, addressing all that immobilizer and common engine/gear ECU bull? How frequent are engine hiccups arising from wiring issues? For the torsion bar, I do know that both front and rear 70 axles do have the mounting points, questions are; are the torsion bars the same for the pre 1990 and post 1990 models which have a smaller front diff? Where can they be had?

From purely theoretical grounds, I dream that a VVTi 1UZ will be best suited to 4x4 applications, considering its near electric motor like torque curve..

Hamza, Suhaib saheb has been running 1UZ in his J40 for some time now, and his recommendation must be coming from experience.

Nevertheless, it is extremely important to have a good mechanic/electrician to do the job. Engine swaps are not easy and it's not worth having to literally live in the workshop because of complications after the swap. I will rather get it right from the beginning even if it costs a bit more than the initial estimate.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by HamzahF View Post

Hamza hope your well, long time.....

The 1UZs work perfectly fine electronically when you mate them to manual transmissions. They don't miss their autos. The auto wiring is slightly more cumbersome but nevertheless not rocket science. The vvti wiring has a bit more bells and whistles than the older 1UZ but its still fairly simple and well understood by now. Immobilizer costs 20-25k to fix up but never had issues with it once done. Engine wiring issues are not all that common as such. Its mainly the coils, ignitors and fuel pumps that occasionally end up being problematic. Once you hook up the wiring harness properly and make sure any extra connections are good quality it should be quite robust.

I dream of V8 torque in a cheap discarded chassis too, then I wake up and ask myself "did we actually do that, or was it just a dream " : https://www.facebook.com/samiurrahma...5/?pnref=story

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you very much Suhaib saheb. Greatly appreciated!

The (approx) figures you have quoted are not too far off from what I had on my mind. I get that give or take I am looking at Rs. 400K for engine, suspension, brakes and power steering. Perhaps will need another 30 - 40 K for air conditioning as well. So around Rs 450K in total.

You're very right that the performance difference between 2UZ and 1UZ does not justify the price difference.

Apologies in advance if you think that I am bombarding you with questions, but I really do have a few more.

1- 1UZ is primarily mated for non 4x4 vehicles. Does it make a difference if installed in a 4x4?
    2- Ideally I would want auto tranny plus 4x4 gears .. is it a good idea or should I stick to manual? What would be expense in both cases?
    3) We may have limited options available on tires/rims in Pakistan. I'm thinking of 33', but am not really sure about the available options and associated costs. Please enlighten.

Regards,

Ahmed
    1. Short answer : No real difference, as long as cooling system is adequate.
    2. Ummm its down to personal choice, manual is slightly more expensive, but personally I prefer it in 4x4s.
    3. Both 31s and 33s are good sizes. FJs are generally more comfortable and nimble on 31s but 33s look more djhango! Yokohama Geolandar ATS for 31s should be good as available new while second hand 33 deals can be found at Rawal Road or with Haji Zaman (IJP road)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Indeed! Wonderful looking vehicle and the price is attractive too!
    Is it parked outside race course ground in the pics there?
    Yes bro

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Name:  ImageUploadedByPW Forums1432320788.640815.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  146.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByPW Forums1432320808.069617.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  146.2 KB

Fj40(84), ae101(95),e36 (1998 face lift).

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hamza hope your well, long time.....

The 1UZs work perfectly fine electronically when you mate them to manual transmissions. They don't miss their autos. The auto wiring is slightly more cumbersome but nevertheless not rocket science. The vvti wiring has a bit more bells and whistles than the older 1UZ but its still fairly simple and well understood by now. Immobilizer costs 20-25k to fix up but never had issues with it once done. Engine wiring issues are not all that common as such. Its mainly the coils, ignitors and fuel pumps that occasionally end up being problematic. Once you hook up the wiring harness properly and make sure any extra connections are good quality it should be quite robust.

I dream of V8 torque in a cheap discarded chassis too, then I wake up and ask myself "did we actually do that, or was it just a dream " : https://www.facebook.com/samiurrahma...5/?pnref=story
    Thanks for the wishes SK, that 40 of yours made me smile...

Guy in the comments saying it flies off of 800rpm makes total sense. What are the diff ratios you have on it? Is it a VVTi engine in there? The items you mentioned as possible points of failure, are they so by virtue of age or the retrofit process? I ask because the swap will be made in a daily driven LJ79.

Once again, bravo!
    Flat six flattening things out!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List