7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Who ordained Vitz, Mini Pajero, Terios etc on us

Subsequent to so-called liberalisation of import policies by the govt. to combat local manufacturers pressure tactics, we have seen a flood of cars that seems incompatible with Pakistani road conditions & environment.

My point is who decided to import Vitz, Pajero Mini, Terios kid, Toyota Cami, Ist and God knows every odd looking model suzuki ever produced. Are we a junk yard of rejected items?

Why could decent 1000cc, 1300cc, 1500cc cars (especially sedan shape) not be imported. What happened to Civics, cities, lancers and sunnies. Was this not a good chance to introduce those models and variants production of which shall start in a few years from now. People would have easily adjusted to them by then.

Who the hell decided to thrust upon us these 660cc dinkys with no spares backup and no resale.

In the last Pakwheels Magazine, Alta, while reviewing Mini Pajero said, it is probably made to crush flower bed of your lawn and nothing more than that. Reality bites.

A few years down the road, all these imports shall soon land up in auto clementory. However, the importers by then would have diverted towards local cars for gaining the much needed premuim for themselves. This is how a banana republic operates. Musharaf has rightly said about Pakistan being so in his book.
    The tragedy of life is not what we suffer, its rather what we miss.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you're right abt the junk yard bit...
    "The rough, hard idle swells up and out from under the car, ricochets off other cars, and rams into the ears of the driver, the spectators. You think twice about a 383 Road Runner, but a hemi only once -- and let it pass."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@hasnain2005

I agree with your theory generally but not completely. Specifically regaring Vitz which is also sold as Yaris in Europe is a very nice car and worth buying.
    Perfect Male...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    24 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

totaly agree but whats even worse here is the attitude/minds of people who cannot differentiate good from bad. GOD help us.
    Keep a cool head and wear seatbelts!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I agree but we as a nation have a lot of catching up to do to reach at a level where we can differntiate good from bad. I bought the Vitz because it was such a nice car and I was driving an Alto at that time and I was sick and tired of it. I thought why not upgrade it by spending 100,000 Rs. The funny thing is that I sold the Alto in 2 hrs for almost the same price I bought it after 2 yrs. Vitz I was trying to sell (Want to upgrade again) but was not able to although my car is in a very nice condition... Strange behaviours...
    Perfect Male...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

winner: Govt. : ppl import cheap junk that is sure to rot in a few years time, Govt. charges heavy customs and taxes, nobody realizes whats happening

loser: Consumer: pays for the profits of exporter, importer, dealer, spare parts retailer, mechanics, and govt. taxes and duties and makes himself happy for a few months, later gets fed up and sells at a loss

Real Loser: Consumer and the Government: Consumer is a loser as above. The govt. while enjoying good CBR reports is losing its valuable forex for junk rather than production machinery and stuff.

Real Winner: NO ONE!

OH GOD! I WISH I HAD TAKEN MY ECONOMICS CLASSES SERIOUSLY, BUT JUST COULD'NT PUSH **** OUTTA MY HEAD
    Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ omaqsood. You are right about the selling part. But that has a logic. If the government (if there is one) had played the true regulatory role, it should have allowed only the Progressive manufacturers to bring in Vitz etc, backed by 3S, that would have reposed public confidence in the vehicles and buying/selling would have been like your alto.

However, those long term thinkers know that come last day of Mr. Shortcut Aziz, all import policies shall tumble down like humpty dumpty and we shall revert to square one. The speech of the new PM would be like this....the former govt's car import policy did more harm to the country than any good. Our local car and vendor industry went to dogs, it has, therefore, been decided to impose 325% import duty on vehicles imported into Pakistan under the personal baggage, gift and TR schemes.
    The tragedy of life is not what we suffer, its rather what we miss.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@hasnain2005

You are right boss but who has so much IQ to understand these things, and even if we do we are left with little choice. e.g. I knew that this could happen with Vitz but I was tired and sick of the local manufactured crap cars no matter which brand. I liked the Vitz because of its features; I saw and used it in Europe before. I bought it because I had no other choice not in terms of money; in terms of understanding cars. Now I will make a great loss while selling it. Still I dont understand why Suzuki alto is so poular even if it has the 3S or whatever because its not a car at all

Long term Thinkers and Policy Makers Ahhh Fools Paradise We are in an endless loop and god knows when we will get out of this...
    Perfect Male...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The toyota cami is quite nice.. 1300 cc VVT-i and comparable to any jeep in its class.
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

its the service part that most of the users are worried together with the parts availability . most of the spare parts shops do not sell high priced items which they know takes time to get their money returned . They are more better with sellin suzuki , toyotas n honda items ...suzuki still rules as every tom , dick and harry has these parts . No worry even for mechanic as all can handle local cars
    ..........Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead. ~Mac McCleary
    ..........Anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
    .......Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hmm..Interesting thread.

One upon a time when I was in Isloo,Amir Malik the owner of toyota capital told me that with every one car exported outa japan, two cars are sent out in the shape of parts.

Which in direct terms means that no car is worth it if it is not supported by easy avaialbilty of parts etc...

The phenomenon of exporting used cars is not only confined to third world countries as an example,the US exports cars to Canada, Mexico and the GCC amomgst many others.

Now the used cars exported to relative better economies are dissassembled and used as spares.

In Pakistan's case, We drive these used cars thinking of em to be "almost new". But that IMHO is becuase of the dearth of assemblers in the country and also the vicous cycle of premiums that runs in our country.

To sum it up, Pakistan really doesnt have a choice, cause the assemblers seem to imply 'Its my way or the highway'
    Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List