14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Cholistan Desert Rally 2007.

For all offroading Enthusiasts, kindly post about yr ride and trip plan and vehicle modifications for ur ride, if ya are planning to venture into adeventure of a life time.

Multan—Tourism Development Corporation Punjab (TDCP) will try to attract international racers for participation in its third annual Cholistan desert jeep rally expected to be held in March 2007 at Bahawalpur.

TDCP has decided in a meeting to contact ambassadors of foreign countries, particularly the Arab countries, to come to Cholistan desert to watch the rally.

“We will also try to ensure participation of at least ten jeep racers from foreign countries to give international colour to this rally”, Regional Manager TDCP Multan Shoaib Ahmad told APP by telephone.

The Sep 23 TDCP meeting was chaired by its Managing Director Irfan Ali. Representatives from Four Wheel Drive Club (FWDC) Lahore Mujahid Zafar and Suhail Ahmad, Roni Patel from FWDC Karachi, Mehmood Majeed from FWDC Bahawalpur, Col (rtd) Kamaluddin Rana from Houbara Foundation, general manager (operations) TDCP Mrs. Shazia Ikram, EDO F&P Dr. Raheel Siddiqui, tourism officer Ashfaq Khan, and rally cell members Musa Raza, and Saqib Rasheed attended the meeting.

In 2006 jeep rally, Dubai car rally champion had registered for the contest but voluntarily withdrew for his four-wheeler was powerful and well equipped than the other participants. “We may add more categories to accommodate powerful vehicles in 2007 rally”, Shoaib said.

“An ambassadors’ city comprising of luxurious tents equipped with all facilities would also be set up near historical Derawar Fort in Cholistan desert to facilitate the ambassadors in case they decide to witness the rally.”

March 9-10-11 are the tentative dates for the mega three-day event which would be finalized later. “We may hold the event earlier than the aforesaid dates in March.” Shoaib said, Punjab government has offered a helicopter to get aerial view of the rally and to serve as ambulance in case of any accident.

The 2007 rally route would be over 250-kilometre long, some 20 kilometres longer than the 2006 rally, Shoaib said adding the route committee has been formed comprising Shoaib himself, EDO Dr. Raheel and FWDC members Mujahid and Mehmood Majeed who will visit the area for inspection of route after Eidul Fitar.

Prime Minister Shoukat Aziz has sent an appreciation letter to the TDCP on two successful jeep rallies in Cholistan desert and has promised federal government’s coordination in holding the event in future.

Promising strict observance of rules, Shoaib said entry fee has been enhanced from Rs 10,000 to Rs 15000 per pair of participants i.e driver and navigator. Procedure for allotment of numbers to participants has also changed.

Participants would have to join a race at a five-kilometre long oval-shape route at the dry bed of river Sutlej to get numbers according to the positions they will secure in the race.

According to tentative programme, dinner at Darbar Mehel Bahawalpur would be held on March 9, 2007, stickers would be pasted on vehicles and their fitness would be checked at circuit house on March 10 and five-kilometre race at the river bed would be held the same day at 12 pm.

Main race will be held on March 11. Prize money has been enhanced from Rs 100,000 last year to Rs 150,000 for first position holders in all categories. Second position holders will get Rs 100,000 each and third Rs 75000 in each category.—APP
    Jayala....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well I wana partcipate.I will Inshallah.All u need is guts.Its not the machine its the man behind the wheel.
    Willys makes its own way
    Do let us know if any further progress regarding the same.Entry fee,last date of entry fee,In rwp or Isb where we can reg ourself for the same.Any other participants from ISb Rwp so we can co-ordinate ourselves or any Pak wheeler who dares ..etc ect.....
    Regards,
    Fahad Ali
    Fahadali4wd@yahoo.com
    Cholistan Desert Rally 2007 -678486

Cholistan Desert Rally 2007 -678487

Cholistan Desert Rally 2007 -678488
    "Fun Begins Where Road Ends"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Friends,
    One more thimg I wana discuss is 2006 last rally the trail was long straight strech without any special section Like tomb climbing,water crossing or rough & soft sand.It was a plane long streach so any body having a strong vehical just floor the throttle thats it.If any one of you remember the Ist Jeep Rally sponsered by Morven Gold (Gawadar to Hub) won by Jan Mohd & Rony Patel was 2nd.That was a true jeep rally which includes tomb climbing,river crossing,soft sand,pure four wheeling with 3 special stages.If that kind of rally can be arranged than it will be a real test for the driver & true challange for the machine as well.
    I will apprciate if more Pak Wheelers will spot light on this issue as well.
    Can any one tell me how many types of classes of jeeps will be there,Plz describe as per engine capacity.My jeep is 2.2L Turbo Diesel.So I can acess my competators.
    Regards,
    Fahad
    "Fun Begins Where Road Ends"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Inshallah will participate.

@OFFRoad..I have been told that this is a 250 kilometer long rally, so I am sure and also hope that there are some serious off road challenges in the track.

If its a straight track, then all you need is a fast machine like Evo, and you are home!

For me the thrill would be just being part of the rally, no matter where and how I finish.

I am sure Shani606 is also planning to participate and some other Pakwheelers as well and as such it will be a good opportunity to meet everyone.

Best Regards
    and Salaams
    Sajidd
    Pakwatan Explorer

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Entry fee is 15k for the normal participants and 25k for the sponsored particpant. Its for driver/navigator. Fee is quoted to me by someone else.

Last Date for entry will be near to 15 Feb or something lik tht.
    Jayala....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I will be participating in the rally inshallah. I was thinking of buying a new vehicle for the rally but dropped the idea as I am not aiming for the podium and it happens to be my first time and ALta told me that bumper of Surf cost more then 15k so I think its better to modify and prep what I got in the stable. And will buy the new SUV after the rally.

Vehicle: Nissan Double Cabin Hardbody 1987.
    Engine: Nissan TD-27 Naturally Aspirated.
    Suspension: Rancho Shocks(But they are no gudd now I extracted all the juice) rest of the stuff stock.

Modifications Planned/Done:

Changed the self couple of days back.

Bought the new brake assembly/kit along with a new and more powerful brake booster. Its from Nissan Patrol GQ. Will install it tommorrow.

Rims/Tyres Change preferably to Bridgestone Dueler A/T, I had a very good experience with them in past.

Suspension Upgrade Most important work to be done, there is a kit available for this peculiar model for offroading purposes which will give a body lift aswell. It includes rear/front shocks, mounts, front differential mount etc. It needed to be imported, so I am planning to order it by 20th Nov as shipping costs nearly same as of the kit.

Interior SOund Insulation/Engine Bay new firewall.

Roll-Cage Fabrication planning and researching about it.

All Housing/Piping and wiring change.

Addition of a Tachometer/Trip Meter and working out something for the GPS.

New Front Differential.

New sway bar.

Re-alignment of Kamani Sleeves.

New Exhaust preferably a perfomance one as it makes it easier to breath.

Checking out the feasibility of adding a Snorkel.

Discussing the turbo/intercooler upgrade with fellow pakwheelers but yet to decide.

Upgrading the Clutch to Heavy-Duty Clutch Plate. Pressure plate aswell.

Thts it for uptill now. More things to follow. I will update Pakwheels with the progress of the work.

Can anybody post what was last year's winning time and lowest time. And terrain conditions...

Thnxx..
    Jayala....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Charter..I am impressed ! Good luck with the upgrades..
    By the way, is your double cabin 4x4? and how much does one of them cost?

Regards
    Sajid
    Pakwatan Explorer

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yeah, its a 4x4 Version. And price goes lik 3-4.5. Depending on the stuff. Ther's one ther at Saba Avenue in black color with with modifications which makes it similiar to Nissan Patrol GQ Pickup and he is asking 625,000 for it. So price varies. The reasons goin for Nissan Double Cab as for the rally are tht tht its not gettin sold, I am unable to afford the repair cost of a new SUV considering the worst case scenario (thts a roll-over), And I know almost everything about my pickup its weaknesses/strenths/ I am used to it and can make jugars for a road side problem.

Thts the kit I am planning to go for...

Cholistan Desert Rally 2007 -678644

Cholistan Desert Rally 2007 -678645

Thnxx..
    Jayala....

R.I.P. Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Have you thought about changing the engine ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Charter
    I have a few words of advice Lighter the better. Remember Power to weight ratio. If you cannot increase power, then reduce weight. Remove anything that is not going to help you succed. You can even remove the rear storage bin unneccassary seats and other stuff.
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." Soichiro Honda

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Pave
    For a Novice I think his DC is very good enough.

@Charter
    One more thing, aim at completing the rally rather as novice then beating it as pro. This will give you plenty of experience.
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." Soichiro Honda

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Sajidd, I will keep my eyes open. This CJ is on Lasbela number means not a full-time rather an over-time headache. And I prefer if one is going for a CJ/Willys/Mutt go for the chassis and a shell and re-build the whole unit yrself or goto Quetta and replace the body over the Chassis. Go for a Defender 90 Cabri or the hardtop, they will be more appealing and suits the purpose ya got in mind.

@Racer, For me winning the rally is completing the rally. And I know that I hardly stands a chance against vehicles in my class, as got Evo Wagons, Rally tuned Cruisings(LC), Nissan Patrols, Wrnagler/CJ's, Vigo, Prado and some outta market rally tuned things. So for me a 20 year old vehicle with an average condition and an underpowered engine, dont really stands a chance as far as beating the pros is concerned. And this is my first time, as I dont have a proper earlier experience, whereas most of the opponenets ha been in the scene since atleast 5+ rallys. So working my way to make it as reliable as possible on moderate speeds. As far as making it lighter is concerned, I will not be having a support vehicle with me all the way to Cholistan, though I made an arrangement in Bahawalpur for a Vehicle to accompany me to the rally incase of any emergency or back-up. So, I will be carrying tents/lubricants/filters/clothes/rally gear/some spares/atleast couple of tyres/Two persons from Khi excluding me means 3 persons/So weight reduction as ya mentioned should be more like which we can do at the rally prep place. Kindly Gimme suggestions keeping these factors in mind.

Thnxx..
    Jayala....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Charter
    Wow! In this case keep what you will realy need and just carrying a Navigator should be enough not more then that. Well you will need spares during the rally but there things that you do not need to carry if you had a support vehicle which would have met you at over night rest areas. That is wher youwill need spares other then tyres and belts.

As for other things I think you shoul;d prepare yourself mentally and physically too. I place more importance on the physical part as you and your navigator will be needing a lot of strength. There will be times you will have unload vehicle to change flat tyres and the rlaod again.

Talking about tyres you will need good proper new tyres. If you can have the paths checked and do research on tyres. Decide which will give you better traction and a that might be your possible advantage.

I can go on but I think there is this site and pdf file which can sum it up better the I would. If there is anything I can do to help in any way pls feel free to ask

http://www.classicadelaide.com.au/as...ionGuide05.pdf

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Racer, thanks alot bro, this pdf file answers many questions especially regarding the pace notes and other features. And very very much to the point stuff. During rally I will carry only one navigator. As for the spares, they will be ther at the support vehicle which is a Suzuki Potohar Jeep. Kindly Check yr e-mail.

Just bought a portable Generator which can run fans/blower/lights and some other stuff as for the night for the tent.

Cholistan Desert Rally 2007 -678900

Thnxx..
    Jayala....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Racer/ Charter.. I am impressed..you guys are really getting in to it..Charter if I make it out there, then we can pool in some resources for support purposes..

Sajidd
    Pakwatan Explorer

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Charterali

For weight reduction you can do some of the following:

- Replace the hood with fibre glass hood. Should shed about 10-15 lbs

- Remove the rear seats

- Take off the front and the rear bumper

- Also take off the rear gate door of the pick up

- Take out any other extra stuff. I would have recommended removing the rear doors of the cabin, but since this is a desert rally it would not be safe to do so.

- You could put your self and your navigator on a diet for next couple of months. LOL

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Sajid
    I wish I was there and be able to participate in the rally, I would even have a Diesel Mechanic/Navigator along with me. So in a way I am full filling my desire through Sheriyar bai

@Omer
    yes very possible and I think we should setup a team for rallies.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Racer..why dont you come down for the Cholistan Rally? Or even better, the Jhal Rally that will take place later this month?

Sajidd
    Pakwatan Explorer

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Omer
    Charter

Remember, one man's junk is another man's treasure..

Salaams
    Sajidd
    Pakwatan Explorer

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If the one you are mentioning is near Shahbaz then its the same 1. hazrat charter was planning to throw 350k for that & then 150-200k on restoring means 550k which will end up being 600-650k for that which is too much, wat do u think?
    If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man ~ Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

User Tag List