17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74

I've had a few people show some interest in recent project, a Land Cruiser BJ74 as a result of which I have decided to take you on a pictorial tour.

It all started when I was around 14 or 15 years old. I saw General Muhammed Zia-ul-Haq's motorcade whizz by a number of times and I was crazy about the BJs in his entourage and always thought to myself that one day I'll get one of those.

A year or so later, a friends cousin acquired a BJ, the right car in the right colour and at that time I offered him my total life savings of two thousand five hundred rupees which he graciously refused.

Over 10 to 12 years later, I was looking for a car and suddenly remembered that car. I traced the guy down after much difficulty only to find he had moved from Pakistan and my hopes were once again shattered. I then discovered that he did however still own the car but it hadn't been driven for a while. I then traced him to Dubai and made a deal with him without looking at the car over the phone just on his word that the car was good.... It wasn't. Actually it wasn't bad at all but not quite as well as I wanted.

Overwhelmed with emotions, I still proceeded to purchase the vehicle...

This is the first time I saw the car after almost 12 years when I went to collect it.

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -565345
    "A car is just a car unless it's my car" - Faraz Arif

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dil mange more..........
    All the best

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Farazarif,

Sir, it is truly a pleasure to read your post. This is my favorite vehicle too. Please post as much detail as you can - tips and advice for people like me, who would probably take the same route as you did. We would like to know EVERYTHINGGGGG.

Wish you a long and happy companionship with the BJ74.

Warm regards,

Abu Jamal
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forumreply_az_TopicID!53562~ForumID!29~pw.html

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AUR PHIR KIA HOOUA?????????????
    To all the extreme drivers, please come offroad like ME to keep others safe on the roads.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

u can change complete body engine in 3 lac as i did with my lc,
    "Roads ? Where we are going we don't need Roads.....! "

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys, thanks for the appreciation, you are all really too kind and generous,

Body change in 3 lacs was not an option, the BJ74 mid-wheel base is quite a rare body and I have never seen or heard of it's body being available,

further, as you guys might be familiar, an average fibertop, i.e. wrangler / CJ is for between 75k and 100k, the BJ74 fibertop alone has had a number of offers the best of which was 160k,

the jeep may look good in it's original condition as the photographs were taken from afar,
    up close it had rust bubbles on several panels, scrapes and scratches and just looked sad... looks much better and happier now, every morning it smiles and winks at me before I get in!

I think 23 years from now almost all of us would do well with some denting painting ,

ok moving on with the story...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As the body work progressed, the car slowly started taking shape and looked better by the day,
    That doesn't mean it was all plain sailing, there were a few hitches along the way,

it seems in Pakistan (karachi at least) tradesmen try to take the shortest possible shortcut in everything that they do,

at times my painter suggested to me, "in my best interest" that he should paint over all the trim etc as it would look better and more even,

I suspect he was trying to avoid having to remove the trim, I asked him if he colours his hair and mustache,
    with a sheepish grin, he started looking down at the floor and playing with his fingers,

array bhai, mein ne tumhaara rishtaa nahi maanga, jawab do sharmeeli,

he replied.... ji Faraz paijaan,

so I told him why do you bother, why don't you apply the colour to your whole head, that way it will look better and more even,

that was the last time he ever spoke of such blasphemy

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Very interesting thread indeed.
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thats a beauty really.. love this model too
    75% of earth is covered by water... the rest by Jeep
    www.brokenknucklegarage.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Next Chapter...

The paint was eventually completed and it was time for the car to go to a better place... I had already booked it in with the doctor for a complete check up and transfusion.

It was an emotional moment leaving the paint shop, most of the workshop staff was gathered around us for the send off, it looked good, far better than when it had arrived, the friends I had made at the painters and in the vicinity smiled approvingly as I got into the car, then I noticed a slight problem...

as described by the painters, garee lashkaare maar rahi thi, but there was nothing inside it, no interior what so ever except for the dashboard.

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887249

In my haste to get the project completed on time, the interior had been sent off to be remade parallel to the paint work being undertaken. We hastily arranged for a disused plastic drum to improvise as a seat and I jumped on grinning at my ingenuity.

In my haste I failed to notice the car was in gear, as I turned the key and the car lurched forward I found my self thinking there is definitely something wrong here...

ahhh, I had fallen off the drum landed on my back and was looking up at the roof.

After some more comedy and a bit of drama along the way, I finally arrived at the mechanic's place. As I entered the courtyard the scene was like one from ER,

Doctor we have an emergency, the patient has arrived... get a stretcher stat...

One of the mechanics who I refer to as the troll ran along side dragging a trolley jack, the chief mechanic frowned and placed a large wad of niswaar under his tongue as his elves (chotay) ran around with axle stands. In not time at all the pit crew had the patient jacked up, placed on the stands, tires removed and chief (ustaad) was under the car.

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887250

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887251

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887252

As he came out from underneath, had a look under the bonnet, tasted the engine oil and sniffed the exhaust fumes and sucked and blew on various hoses and tubes under the bonnet, I looked at him holding my breath...

Doctor, yeh theek to ho jaye gaa na, please doctor batao batao...

Ustaad's tongue did a little jiggle as he got the niswaar back in place, he looked at me seriously with a Mona Lisa type expression, I didn't know if he was happy or sad...

and then... relief, he smiled broadly showing all four of his teeth,

injun teek hai, saara cheez ka tel badalna maangta hai aur saara cheez service karenga, fir garee mersh deesh (mercedes) ki tarah hoenga,

and then they got started, opening up, cleaning and replacing fluids on everything.

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887253

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Amazing... Keep it up!!!
    Labrador Puppies FOR SALE: http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/sale/139500-labrador-pups-show-winner-parents-sale

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

A couple of weeks later, the engine, transmission, hubs, brakes etc had all been cleaned up, several lines replaced, fluids bled and changed and it was time for the car to be tested.

By now the interior had been completed after much deliberation and selection of fabrics, their breathing, cleaning and maintenance properties being taken into account, foam qualities tested by many back sides, everything was installed and vehicle was usable once again.

With the "Eye of the Tiger" theme playing in my head I jumped in the car, for this moment I had a new key cut out of the finest light weight Italian aluminium dud.

I gently stroked the dashboard of the beast, scratched it's belly, whispering "easy tiger, easyyyy easy" and turned the key half way...

The instrumentation lit up, fuel gauge showing that the 90 liter tank had around 5 liters in it, I eased the handbrake to the unlock position, the handbrake light turned off... looking good so far, the presence of glo-plugs in the 3.4 liter direct injection turbo B13 T engine meant I didnt need to wait for ignition coils to heat up so I cranked...

ok, something was not right here, the car wasn't talking to me, thinking to my self "kitt, where the eff are you, kitt,
    talk to me baby" I tried again, the half drained batteries made a feeble attempt to turn over... still nothing.

Houston, we have a problem...

Red faced I got out of the car, scanned the workshop looking for blood, I saw the elves scamper away hiding behind parked cars, the troll crawled under hydrolic ramp's inspection pit and hid, ustaad looked up at the sky concentrating immensely on the flying habits of the local birds, I swallowed my temper, politely asked for a battery and some jump-start cables, we connected her up to a spare battery,

ok, attempt No.3, key turning, turning, turning,
    reminiscent of Frankenstein, in a half attempt the dragon puffed out some smoke and came to life, "I've created a monster" she looked good, sounded better. As I kicked the accelerator the car vibrated and the workshop reverberated with cheers, the crowds went wild... well a singular cheer as I cheered myself.

Beaming I stepped out of the beast, one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind... patted ustaad, patted the elves on their little elfish heads, snapped my fingers and winked at the troll, it was now time for electrics.

I had previously figured that there was a battery charging problem since I had already installed a pair of brand new 100amp batteries, but was secretly hoping it would magically disappear... it didnt, so off to the electrician the next morning and it turned out the cut off switch was burned, alternator was under charging, also the AC fan switch relay was gone, I ran around the car with a jacket tester and amp-meter testing everything, it all looked good. So it was time for the Shershah chronicles to begin.

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887273

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887274

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887275

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

interesting (Y)

and ??????????

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I like your style man... Great work.... And how about urdu translations aswell?
    you could publish your own column in a local daily or digest??
    That Does Not Kill You.........
    Makes You Stronger!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hybrid_Parameter et al

Thanks for your appreciation, writing for an urdu column, hmm, interesting proposition, maybe I'll write for a weekly column, english / urdu whatever, like in dawn's Sunday advertiser where they have a small write-up on some aspect of car / car ownership...

Salman,
    Brother! Great to hear from you again, I might be visiting Islamabad Inshallah towards the end of this month but it would only be for a day, will let you know the details if something materialises.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Shershah Chronicles were fraught with danger, terror, anger and exasperation, finally 3 alternators and 2 cut-out switches and several electrical components later, the vehicle was finally dependable to be used without having to look for an incline or a mound of mud to park on everytime I used the car so that I could get a rolling start.

As this is my only means of transport, and without a car I am simply useless, this is the kind of parking I would normally look for:

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887291

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887292

Parking on a sharp incline meant I was saved of the embarrassment of having to find a driver of a diesel so that I could get a jump start everywhere I went, I'd park on a hill, let it roll down and get a rolling start.

This is the last alternator being fitted which was perfect and is still going strong Maashallah:

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887293

At last, it seemed that the major proportion of my infatuation was behind me, I could now move on to live life like a normal motorist again, I decided that my new partner and I needed to have a shower together to cleanse ourselves of the hard work and fatigue, so off we went...

Shower Scene: (explicit scenes, not suitable for younger audiences)

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887294

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887295

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887296

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887297

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887298

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I took the car home that day for the first time, the unveiling went well and everyone thought I was crazy and insane, i.e. all was normal.

In excitement of using the car as normal from the next day I could barely sleep all night. The next morning I got dressed for the office, clean shirt, polished shoes (wiped with the greasy old garee ka kapra), suit and a new-ish tie, some fresh engine oil in my hair, and a generous dollop of Hashmi ka surma, ok I may have gotten a bit carried away here, anyways...

I went outside and smiled at the car, i was touched by what I saw, it was leaning toward the driver's side as if to welcome me about, I gently patted the bullbar, got in, thinking it would now resume it's normal stance,

No... it didn't, ok now what's the problem here, I looked at my watch, 0915, ok I'm only 15 mins late for the office, we can do this, come on babe straighten up, chop chop... nothing. I turned the key, the car started perfectly, ok at least it was a new problem, I got out and walked around to find that 2 of the old, bald, tires had expired during the night. Since the car had been standing before I purchased it, the tires were in a poor way, I thought I could nurse them back to health, I was wrong...

Damn it, now what, ok first things first...

Hello boss, cough cough, I'm not feeling too well this morning, splutter, spit, cough..., umm, I think it's a combination of bird flu and man flu... must have been the chicken I ate last night, I knew I should have killed and cooked it before eating, I won't be in *cough* till a bit later when I find the strength to come in to work,
    no no, I would never stay home just because I'm sick and dieing, yes I'll definitely come in, give me a couple of hours.... ok boss, pray for me, love you too...

A couple of hours later, I had the tires re-inflated and stopped by my tire buddy's shop to select some tires, he didn't have the one's I wanted in stock, after twisting his arm and feigning severe depression and suicidal tendencies we agreed on a price.

A couple of days later, my lady had her new shoes...

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887303

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887304

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887305

A Love Story Land Cruiser BJ74 -887306

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Now that the essentials were out of the way, I decided it was time to test the vehicle's off-road abilities, the next Sunday I called a friend and asked him what he was up to, he said he was busy,
    due to medical problem, my ears can not hear things that they don't want to hear, so I turned up unannounced at his place and kidnapped him 15 minutes later,
    and off we went to Phase VIII.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

excellento (Y)

its a jeep thing for sure
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@faraz

buhat aala. sadqe jaon apke stlye par
    Apki chummi layene ko dil kar raha hai apki story parh kar..
    baiya, khabi islamabad aana ho tou milna zara akele mai..
    Qaiser Pal,I have not failed.But found 1 of 10,000 ways which doesn't work.....Toyota driver "I couldn't repair my brakes,so i made my horn louder"..When i was born i was so surprised that i didn't talked to one and half year..since light travel faster then sound,people appear bright until you hear them speak..If u can't convince them,confuse them

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This is a beautifully written thread and by far one of the best reads on PW after a long time (Y) your writing skills are commendable as is your humour.

i loved the moustache question,.. keep up the excellent work, i'm here reading.
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

User Tag List