Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Luxury Tax on 1960s CJ5 with 2400cc Engine?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Luxury Tax on 1960s CJ5 with 2400cc Engine?

Brothers, I am currently considering purchasing an unregistered 1960s CJ5 fitted with a 2400cc engine. It was auctioned by Pak Army in 2003. The Jeep has recently been restored and I intend to have the vehicle registered in Lahore. Could anyone please guide me if the Govt of Punjab Luxury Tax on imported vehicles, registered after June 2005, be applicable to this vehicle? if anyone could refer me to any agents etc., working with the Excise and Taxation Dept, who could help me with the details, I would be most obliged.

I understand that Supreme Court's is pursuing this case, and the next hearing is on December 12, 2008.

Thanks
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forumreply_az_TopicID!53562~ForumID!29~pw.html

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@abujamal

ive also own a m38a1 65 model with 3c engine. last week went to the eto office at islamabad for the registration, the agents quoted me 62k for the registration, he said that 50k accounting for advance value tax has been added after the budget. they said that the same implies for japan, ill confirm it from rpindi this saturday.

Im also waiting for the supreme court ruling with my fingers crossed.

Any other member having any info abt the subject pzl comment..........

regards
    1)Merdcedes W124-Daily driven, 2)Toyota FJ70 RKR-Reliable offroader, 3)Mitsubishi Pajero Shogun-Comfy workshorse, 4)M38A1-Fun ride, 5)Daewoo Racer- Econimically reliable

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am in the same boat. I have been trying to register 1982 Toyota FJ40 with Petrol engine 4000 cc. In Lahore registration office we have been told to deposit 50,000 for Luxury Tax or withholding tax PLUS registration fee of around 28,000 thousands. Making it total around Rs78,000 (including token).

I am not sure why the consumer should pay Rs50,000 on so called luxury tax on beat up and old Army auctioned jeeps which is worth 300,000.

regards,
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

it seems there are lot of new entrant to 4x4 with same registration fee problem. I have also bought a unimog 1984 and currently restoration is on. still didnt checked with registration authorities but seems like will face same issue as you do.
    Still Play with Mogs... DeeMog 421.129 1986... http://www.youtube.com/user/DeeMog421
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clubs-off-roaders-suv/87109-team-unimog-punga-project

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brothers,

I got the charges checked from the Excise office, Lahore yesterday. They said that tentative Registration Charges would be as follows:

1. Token from 2003 to July 2007 @ Rs 4,700 per year=23,500
    2. Token for 2008 to 2009 @ Rs 5,000 + Rs 200 (professional tax) =5,200
    3. Forensic Lab charges for Chassis inspection: Rs 8,000 approx
    4. Registration Charges: Rs 1,500
    5. 4% of the invoice value of vehicle (according to the auction sheet of Pak Army).
    6. Engine Number Chage Charges: Rs 5,000 approx

All told, the charges are approximately Rs 50,000 and the process takes about a week.

- Income tax (Rs 8000) would not be applicable since the jeep is older than 10 years.
    - Luxury tax (Rs 200,000) would also not be applicable since it is an auctioned jeep and does not come in the category of imported vehicles.

iSiddique, Sir, the next time you check with the tax people, do ask them why Withholding tax would be applicable to your LC, since its model is older than 10 years. By the way, the section that deals with Auction vehicles is on the First Floor of the Taxation office.

Brothers, please share updates as and when you get any, as there seem to be many exceptions to the Registration rules, disclosed only if one agrees to give a handsome kharcha pani.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AbuJamal thanks for your detailed email.
    I guess they ring up different numbers on different people.

I have a one question though (below)
    Token from 2003 to July 2007 @ Rs 4,700 per year=23,500
    (is that a case with you or they always charge 2003 to 2007 Tokens?

Are you sure about Withholding tax thing that it is not applicable for Jeep older then 10 years?
    This is where the issue came, because they wanted to charge Rs50,000 withholding Tax.

Well in a nut shell, Army auctioned Jeeps buyers, please do count 60,000 to 80,000 Rs for registration, which was not the case few months ago.

regards,
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

2 lac luxury tax on a old model jeep.. real shock

as far as my knowledge...

All vehicles that have registeration older then 10 Yrs do not have to pay with holding tax when they get the yearly token. e.g. On my 1997 reg daewoo racer tax was 1500 + 348 last year but this year its just 348. If you get ur jeep registered today this will apply after 10 yrs

A new withholding tax has been applied on all new registrations.. this is the 50K that u guys are talking abt.. im afraid u have to pay this.. as all cars/jeeps are registered through the same procedure.

I think withholding tax is advance income tax... u can claim that in your tax returns.. the idea is proably to make ppl file more return... but i have never heard that someone is refunded any money paid to govt

2 Lac tax on auctioned jeeps.. insane law
    75% of earth is covered by water... the rest by Jeep
    www.brokenknucklegarage.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

u can call mr saeed ma freind (agent there)
    0300 428 3585
    For Riding Jackets & Gloves, Armors, Saddle Bags, Knee & Elbow Guards etc: https://www.facebook.com/PbcMotorSport?fref=ts

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

iSiddique,

The token from 2003 to 2007 is exclusive to my case, as the Jeep was auctioned in 2003.

Akifjanjua,

The Daewoo illustration does make sense, that a vehicle gets exempted from withholding tax only after it has been registered for 10 years. I shall go to the Registration Office tomorrow myself and check the details, but then again, the officials there never tell complete details.

Gents, are these registration charges same across all provinces? What about NWFP? Can one get the vehicle registered from there if they dont charge withholding tax? Frankly the withholding tax alone makes the entire purchase way out of my budget. And are there any hazards of driving an NWFP registered 4x4 full time in Lahore?

Thank you all for your support and feedback.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you malikg115, I just spoke to Saeed Sb with your reference and he was very kind and helpful. Please thank him on my behalf the next time you see him. He really gave me a lot of details and clarified the confusions.

According to Mr. Saeed, Agent at Taxation Office,

- Withholding tax of Rs 50,000 is charged no matter how old the vehicle is, and it is applicable in all provinces and Islamabad. Mr. Saeed was not aware if one can claim this amount in tax returns, perhaps one needs to speak to a tax lawyer to clarify this, but I agree with Akif Sb, I have never heard of anyone receiving any refunds from the govt.

- The govt may waive a portion of token tax on its discretion. iSiddique, the token on your LC would be applicable from the date of Auction (mine was auctioned in 2003).

- Luxury tax is not applicable to this vehicle, so there would be no affect of the Supreme Court case regarding luxury tax imported vehicle on the registration of auctioned vehicles.

This is really mindboggling.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@DeeDee
    I am interested in checking out your unimog. Can you please post some pictures,
    AM General Jeep M825 MUTT | 3 C Turbo Diesel

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@aisheikh
    brother thanks for your interest in mog. I will post picture soon on IJC.

I have bought mog with a specified budget to restore but by going through the above dicsussion it seems like that i have to either increase my budget by 50k pertaining to restoration and registration.

Well first thing first....Restoration to its full capabilities than will see kay kaunsa bank lootna hai. heheh
    Still Play with Mogs... DeeMog 421.129 1986... http://www.youtube.com/user/DeeMog421
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clubs-off-roaders-suv/87109-team-unimog-punga-project

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi, what can you suggest on taxation/registration issue for a 1990 model vehicle being sold by a diplomat with a N.O.C of being duty free?
    To all the extreme drivers, please come offroad like ME to keep others safe on the roads.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Jeepaholic,

Sir, the best way is to go to the Taxation Office yourself and ask the officials as well as a few agents. As isiddique correctly pointed out, they seem to ring up different numbers on different people.

The Supreme Court was also supposed to hear the case of luxury tax today. The details would be available in newspapers tomorrow. Let's see where that leads to.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@abujamal

Forensic laboratory for army auctioned vehicles!!!!!!! I think the army guyz punch there own numbers on the frame, and the forsenic lab also tells us if the chasis/frame no. is tempered/changed...... then whats the benefit of doing the laboratory for army auctioned vehicles???????
    1)Merdcedes W124-Daily driven, 2)Toyota FJ70 RKR-Reliable offroader, 3)Mitsubishi Pajero Shogun-Comfy workshorse, 4)M38A1-Fun ride, 5)Daewoo Racer- Econimically reliable

R.I.P. Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

dont disclose the cc of new engine placed just write the old one like 1600-1800 which was orignally in the jeep.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Taimoorkhan and Topracer,

Brothers, thank you for your advice. I am looking into the possibility of getting this vehicle registered from peshawar as the NWFP Govt does not ask for Forensic Lab test and neither charge the withholding tax...yet .

Topracer, Sir, some of my friends have given me a similar advice. I shall share updates on this forum but so far the entire process is appearing painstakingly long and complicated.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List