0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Importance of Metallurgy in Car parts manfacturing

Guys I have read many discussions on car parts manufacturing, but seldam any one mentioned the importance of metallurgy, why is it so ? Can any one comment on the state of the affairs in this sector in our country? How bright is the future for a person holding an engineering degree in this discipline ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Metallurgy is extremly important. Materials is important. We only have a handful of qualified metallurgists in Pakistan I believe. There is good scope for it here.. Are you a metallurgist?
    Ehsan

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So little response ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So little response ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So little response ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Metallurgy is at the heart of the engineering process. As you must be aware of two main catagories of Engineers. Mechanical and Eletrical. Civil engineers also fall under either of these two, depeding on their area of specialization.

Metallurgist is a specialization of the mechanical engineer. I have some backgroung in mechanical engineering as well, as at the beginning of my college carreer I had chosen Engineering, later switched to Business.

Our most famous Pakistani brother, the father of our Nuclear bomb, Dr. A.Q. Khan is basically started his career as a metalurgist in Holland. This field is very vast, as it can be applied in all the fields, and auto industry is at the center of all the modern industries. You should definately go for it netsurfer bhai.
    Permanent positive change (in your life, or the society) with proper planning occurs slowly. While without planning any change becomes a disaster rather quickly. Said by Whocares...

I got Turbo fingers... Anyone wants to race me in typing....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear netsurfer...You are very timely. I have some familiarity with metallurgy and am looking for someone in Pakistan to develop the world's first ALL magnesium engine...Thanks for your vote in the awards post datz, but I designed only the engine "cradle" for the Z06 Corvette. This is a critical part that ties the engine to the chassis and the front suspension is mounted ot it. The engine is actually an aluminum block and heads with cast iron liners.

This would be the first one in the world and I will do it. I just want it to happen in Pakistan, not America. There are several hurdles in both metallurgy and processing and fatigue design along with corrosion. I have had this dream for 20 years and am closer than I have ever been, but the Germas are at my heels, so I have to work very fast. Interested, netsurfer? It truly is "The chance of a lifetime"

If you are SERIOUS drop me a line and we can talk. email: sdurrani@thetford.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi all

Matrials science and engineering is one of the most important branch of engineering. Metals, plastics ans ceramics are the three main categories of materials being used in industry. I have a PhD degree in material sciences and engineering but it is in plastics and composites. Although working in materials have given me a lot of exposure to metals and related materials. Unfortunately Pakistan does not have this engineering speciality in any of the university. The work is highly technical and needs supprot of state of the art lab equipment and testing machines in addition to processing technology. Presently I am working with Hyndaui motors in Bejing and sometimes in Seoul. Next year I am planning to return to Pakistan as National University os Sciences and Technology (NUST) has offered me teaching job in their new project which is named as National institue of Materials Science (NIMS). I take this oppertunity to serve my nation and introduce this technology.

Any industry and especially aerospace and auto industry is highly dependent on material engineering. Design of parts that could withstand physical, environmental and ageing effects is the top priority of any engineer. And this is not possible if correct material is not selected or processed. All car manufacturers are laying specific emphasis on developing materials that offer more strength, low cost, easy and environment frindly processibility. As Durrani Bhai has already mentioned that how an engine cradle new design can greatly improve the performance of a car. If you have any specific questions you are most welcome, I will answer them to my best of ability.
    Drive safe, life is precious

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanx guys for the replies! I just wanted to know about this discipline because by brother who is doing FSc (pre-engineering) is very much interested in this field ! BTW he is also a great fan of Pakwheels

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Wow everyone is talking abt Mteallurgy dats interesting 2 make things more interesting well 4m 2nd Jan 2006 ill be takin my first class of Metallurgical Engg in Punjab Univ. Mr MotownMadman if u can just wait for 4 years probably ill be da person ur lookin 4.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@mics420...I look forward to your return to Pakistan. Please drop me a line if you can at sdurrani@thetford.com

I need to do some very top secret and custom metal alloying in Pakistan for my project next year, and could definitely fund a grant for doing this with you at NUST...Interested?

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List