Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Driving AUTO TRANS car on steep roads!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Driving AUTO TRANS car on steep roads!!

Hello everyone,

i wana through this question to those who have drove auto trans cars on steep roads in normal conditions as well as during/after rain or snowfall. I have been told by someone who owns a promatic civic oriel, UG that if u plan to go to hill stations frequently then dont buy a auto trans car coz it really gives problem while climbing steep roads and also slips when road is covered with snow compared to the manual tran car.

your comments are invited on this issue. also if anyone has experience of CUORE AUTO, that will be too gr8.

thanx in advance.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

for any automatic transmission car, including coure i try to keep it as simple as possible:

as you know auto shifts transmisson according to load on engine and accelerator pedal, you have options of 1 (1st gear only), 2 (1st and 2nd gear) and D (drive 1 , 2 and 3) plus O/D 1, 2, 3, 4 (over/drive) the gear ratios are designed in a way that D of auto is somewhere in between 3 and 4 of (5 speed gearbox). and O/D is close to 5th gear of (5 speed gearbox. triptronic and 4 speed auto from honda and other companies is similar giving more options to driver.

But the important point is automatic gearbox does not downshift a gear on its own,, unless you want to accelearate car using acceleartor padel. so going uphill or downhill, driver needs to use "2" instead of "D" to keep car in engine control and avoid brake overheat and skid..... if you plan to drive slow around 40 km/hr approx on steep climb or downhill. best is to keep car in higher gear instead of putting it in D that will loose the engine power away from car often, not recommended at all.
    same applies to sand/mud/hard rain/snow/ice/ pulling another vechicle/load or other similar road conditions.. where driving at slower speed required.,,,,,,,,,drive safe!
    ,,, unless you know the track, you're not good enough to sit behind the wheel." K T

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@LEVIN:

Thanks a lot for a very detailed and informative note. I think it will benefit the readers alot while driving under the demanding/dangerous conditions.

what i have inferred from your reply is, it doesnt matter which type of trans it is while driving in those conditions.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List