Season Schedule

-Formula 1  - Season 2010 - -615562

-Formula 1  - Season 2010 - -615563

Previous Season's Discussion Archives

Some Formula 1 related WebSites

Live Streaming

Live Timing

Enjoy Posting

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    M Saad Umar-

"Fear is part of people's life. Some of them don't know how to face it, others — where I include myself — learn coexisting with it or face it, not as a negative thing, but like a autoprotection sensation."

-- Ayrton Senna

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sebastian Vettel says the only consolation about his late race heartbreak in the Bahrain Grand Prix is that he did not miss out on any champagne - because the drink is not sprayed on the podium there.
    so cruely hurt..

and i don't understand one thing if vettel was so quick for most part of the race then whatever happened to Webber's RB??...

plus i now subscribed to F1 messaging service and it seems free...they msged me for verification as soon as i hit the submit button..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ecclestone: No panic over F1 show<!-- end title -->
    Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone insists there is no need for panic about the state of the sport - despite criticism about the boring season opener in Bahrain.

Sauber poised to request name change<!-- end title -->
    Peter Sauber is poised to lodge an application to change the name of his Formula 1 team, AUTOSPORT has learned, after he carried the BMW moniker into the new season.

Webber 'shocked' by lack of passing<!-- end title -->
    Mark Webber says the lack of overtaking at the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix does not bode well for the rest of the races where one-stop strategies are expected.

Coulthard calls for mandatory pitstops<!-- end title -->
    David Coulthard believes changes to F1's tyres and mandatory pitstops are the way to go to improve racing, as the former grand prix winner joined the criticism of the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix.

Cosworth pleased with Bahrain showing<!-- end title -->
    Cosworth's general manager Mark Gallagher declared himself very satisfied with the performance of the company's engines on its return to Formula 1.

Button says confidence remains intact<!-- end title -->
    World champion Jenson Button says his confidence remains intact despite being outpaced by McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton at the season-opening race in Bahrain.
    M Saad Umar-

"Fear is part of people's life. Some of them don't know how to face it, others — where I include myself — learn coexisting with it or face it, not as a negative thing, but like a autoprotection sensation."

-- Ayrton Senna

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@genius83

I didn't get what you were saying about less cars in Q1 or Q3.
    The 107% rule is quite simple and it cannot be enforced this season because every team has to agree to it before it's implemented. HRT or Virgin are unlikely to do that. Next year is a different story, 70% of the teams need to agree for it to come into effect next year and that 70% is quite easy to get from the current grid. If you were suggesting Todt might enforce it this year and the teams will try and get an injunction from the courts against the order before it's settled at a final hearing then thats a different matter. I would say the FIA have a very good case, based on safety grounds, no court is going to hear arguments of these teams. Safety of the drivers, pit crews, marshals and spectators is of paramount importance. If F1 loses two teams, it will still have a 20 car grid, Lotus will improve as the season goes on and Virgin might too, given that the fastest lap by Heikki in the race was about 2.5 seconds off the Mercedes' fastest lap. I don't know what the rule is about the new points system but as far as i am concerned it cant go early enough.
    I must sound like a broken record repeating myself for the umpteenth time, Hermann Tilke is responsible for half of Formula 1's problems. His boring track designs don't encourage overtaking. The only decent track he designed is Malaysia and turn 8 at Istanbul. I can't recall anything else. F1 had pretty much the same cars last year but there was a lot of overtaking on tracks in Brazil, Spa etc. This is a long and never ending argument.
    The old cars, no one on the current grid will drive them, no one. The only person i can think off is Jacques Villeneuve, who is off his rocker, maybe Juan Pablo as well but no one else. For the current crop of drivers, there is not enough safety already.
    Come back, Luca Badoer, all is forgiven.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@UK
    My question is simple about the difference of Q1 and Q3. In Q1 we have 24 cars this season and in Q3 we have 10 cars this season. On some tracks like Monaco, Valencia and Singapore, we will see traffic problems in Q1 when all the teams are sending their both cars out for putting a lap in the final mins of the session and certainly some cars will then be penalised for blocking other cars on there flying laps. So the lap times will be on the higher side in Q1 but when the top 10 cars in Q3 post there lap times they could go faster then Q1 in no refuelling situation. Imagine in a 107% rule situation the last 4 drivers who are been eliminated in Q1 were within the 107% rule time of that session's top driver, but after Q3 the driver pole has posted a lap time of 1 sec faster then Q1 and in the process eliminate the last 4 drivers as there times are now outside the 107% rule. Just tell me do you think its fair to eliminate a competitor from the race when they are not able to show that they could set a time within the rule. If you still don't understand what I am saying then here is an example of what I am saying

Imagine Alonso puts the fastest lap in Q1 at Monaco with the time 1.16.267 and the last four drivers which are from Virgin and HRT have posted a time Glock(Virgin) 1.20.769, Lucas Di Grassi(Virgin) 1.20.834, Senna(HRT) 1.20.850, Chandock(HRT) 1.20.875. They all are within the 107% time of Alonso's time. But in Q3 Alonso set a pole time of 1.15.089 and because of this time the last four drivers are effectively eliminated from the race as there times are well outside the 107% rule of Alonso's Pole Lap time. They should have a time within 1.20.345 and neither of them is within that time. This situation for me is not what we should call a fair play and to resolve such situtation there are only 2 ways
    1) Either take the times from the Q1 session as a bench mark for applying 107% rule or
    2) Arrange a special Q4 session for those cars which are outside the 107% rule and allow them to set a time within the 107% time of the polesitter otherwise they are eliminated from the race.

The reason is simple back in the old days with a 1 hour qualifying session all the teams are allowed to put a lap time when ever they wanted and in the last 15 mins all the slower cars were on the track trying to put a lap time within the 107% rule as they all know what time they have to beat but in nowadays situtation this is not possible as the slowest cars are been eliminated first so even if they are within the time after Q1 but could be eliminated after Q3 as the top 10 cars go faster then Q1.

Bro, as you said this debate will be ongoing forever I still thinks that if the cars from past could be run on the Tilke's tracks and they will show exciting races. The problem is not with Tilke, its with the cars remember I have posted Hamilton's overtaking video from GP2 and you said that why I am posting Hamilton's video well in reality I was only showing that on the Tilke's track overtaking is possible if the cars are designed for the purpose. Do you know what is the basis of GP2 cars, what concept they have used designing GP2 cars Aero or Ground Effect? If you don't know then here is an article from Will Buxton about the first generation GP2 cars which have run from 2005 to 2010 in GP2 and GP2 Asia series.

Saying farewell to an old friend
    This weekend saw the motorsport world bid a fond farewell to a car which has formed the bedrock of the careers of half the current F1 grid, as the original GP2 Series car completed its final race.
    The GP2/05, designed by Dallara, powered by a 4l V8 Renault engine assembled and maintained by Mecachrome and run on Bridgestone Potenza tyres (grooved for its first season in 2005) made its track debut in July 2004 at Circuit Paul Ricard when Frank Montagny gave it its initial shakedown. Over the next few months, he and Allan McNish conducted the development work on the car which would race in the very first season of the GP2 Series when it was launched in 2005.
    Despite some very public problems in its debut weekend at the San Marino Grand Prix (namely the electronics going haywire in practice and the brakes wearing out in the first race), the racing was exciting and the competition fierce. Brembo had heard rumours of the inadequacies of the initial brake supplier and had brought enough brake pads and discs for the entire field to Imola, storing them in a truck in a nearby carpark. When the problems arose in the first race, a Brembo representative asked the series organisers if they fancied switching supplier. They did. With reliability issues pretty much resolved with Mecachrome a few races into the season, GP2 established itself as unmissable racing.
    Nico Rosberg was crowned the first champion in 2005, beating Heikki Kovalainen and Scott Speed to the crown and all three were promoted to Formula 1, starting a trend which has seen 17 drivers promoted to an active F1 seat since the championship began.
    For the record, they are: Nico Rosberg, Heikki Kovalainen, Scott Speed, Alexandre Premat (F1 Practice Session), Nelson Piquet, Ernesto Viso (F1 Practice Session), Lewis Hamilton, Timo Glock, Lucas di Grassi, Vitaly Petrov, Kazuki Nakajima, Bruno Senna, Karun Chandhok, Sebastien Buemi, Romain Grosjean, Kamui Kobayashi and Nico Hulkenberg.
    Of those 17, 11 remain in Formula 1 in 2010.
    It would also be remiss to forget the tens of drivers who have received positions as test drivers at F1 teams, be it on a season-long contract or simply a one-off test, as a result of their results in GP2.
    And all of them, without exception, have raced the GP2/05. For while the original car raced in the main series for three years, creating champions out of Rosberg, Hamilton and Glock, the car was then shipped off to Asia to compete in the GP2 Asia Series between 2008 and 2010. There simply isn’t a driver to have been promoted from GP2 to Formula 1 who has not competed in a field of GP2/05s.
    The car, which was designed around a concept of ground effect rather than over reliance on body aerodynamics, was created not only with the specific intention of training the future drivers of F1, but to provide overtaking and an exciting show. Even today it remains fast and relevant. Despite racing with a detuned engine in the Asia series, its laptimes on its final weekend weren’t far off those being set by the new teams in F1… not bad for a six year old racer.
    With its Main Series replacement, the GP2/08, due to be used in Asia for the 2010/2011 championship when its own replacement (GP2/11) is unveiled for the 2011 Main Series, Sunday was thus the last time we’ll see the 05 race. It has given us six seasons of racing which I and many colleagues will never forget. It has also stood the test of time, providing a safe racing environment throughout its life.
    But, alas, after 94 races, six champions and some of the best racing I’ve ever seen, the GP2/05 will race no more. Whether they are to become museum pieces or sit in the teams’ factories is, as yet, unclear. But if anyone’s thinking of holding a track day with one, please let me know… I’d move heaven and earth to get into one, even if it was for just the one lap.
    I hope that wherever they end up, they take pride of place. Because without them, today’s F1 grid wouldn’t contain half the talent it does.
    I have higlighted the needed para so what it does tell that to get exciting racing you have go away from Aero and rely on ground effect or mechanical grip. I am a firm believer that when ever they goes back to the same concept with some other rule changes like one engine(transmission, gearbox included) one race, increasing RPM limit to 20K or 21K, increasing the power output with max at 1000bhp we will have exciting racing at the Tilke's track and we are also sure that the racing safer then ever.
    M Saad Umar-

-- Ayrton Senna

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@genius83

You didn't answer one of my questions. Why do the same cars, ones with double diffusers and those before it that had more aero, how do they manage to pass people on tracks like Spa, Interlagos or Monza for example? What is so different there that does not affect these same cars on those tracks?
    Tilke, now how many amazing tracks has he designed? Lets see, Valencia, Yas Marina, the track at Singapore, in China, Bahrain, Istanbul, and Sepang. With the exception of Sepang, which is a nice track, what has he brought to other tracks? and he is working on the Korean track. Wonder what rubbish he will produce there. Forget F1 cars, will the GP2 cars pass others at Valencia or Singapore or China?
    Interesting stuff in the article that you pasted. For starters, the last line Because without them, today’s F1 grid wouldn’t contain half the talent it does. I didn't know drivers like Heikki Kovalainen, Scott Speed, Alexandre Premat, Nelson Piquet, Ernesto Viso, Timo Glock, Lucas di Grassi, Vitaly Petrov, Kazuki Nakajima, Karun Chandhok, Sebastien Buemi, Romain Grosjean, Kamui Kobayashi counted as talented drivers who are making F1 exciting. The guy writing the article clearly is watching something else to what we get.
    Lewis Hamilton, like him or hate him, is a very good and very aggressive driver. One of the few who can actually pass people. Maybe the rules had something to do with it in GP2, but the guy is good, maybe too aggressive. Him passing people will come as no surprise. I don't want to post videos here because they will come across as bashing the great man of F1, but just watch some on youtube. Search for Montoya, and see what you come up with and see what he did to people in cars that had alot more down force than today's cars. It's an art, some people have it, some don't. A very famous quote of Sir Frank Williams appeared after Montoya left his team for Mclaren. Something like " Frank will miss his pass master " It's still some where on F1db some where. It quoted Sir Frank Williams as saying, Juan Pablo can see an over taking opportunity like no one else in F1. Eight of the ten passes he puts on people are not even visible to others including-Schumacher. This after Montoya had left his team, so he wasn't praising his own driver, besides Sir Frank Williams is a man of high integrity to be accused of anything like that. The point is, some people are better at it than others and silly rule changes don't help either. Regarding mechanical grip vs aero, i was reading a nice article Here

In the years gone by, all the teams would be on track towards the end and teams and drivers had to find/make space for their flying lap. In those days the Minardi or others at the back were not threatening pole position either, they would be on track and get out of the way of the front runners. Again, they were not 10 seconds off the pace. There are examples where the stewards have taken a different view and allowed certain cars to take part in the race after they ended up outside the 107% time. 1997, Jacques Villeneuve was on pole by a second from his team mate Frentzen, and 2.1 seconds from third placed man Schumacher. I think Diniz was allowed to race despite being outside the 107% time. In the example you give, if a driver goes 1.2 seconds faster in Q3 than i can assure you the track has nothing to do with it. The track can give you a couple of tenths at the most unless it's a drying track in which case the stewards will have a different view of the 107% time or maybe the pole sitter made a mistake in Q2, to be able to go 1.2 seconds quicker in Q3. I don't know how someone can find that amount of time unless he did something wrong in Q2.
    Your idea of Q4 for these teams is not bad. Just who will watch it, who will telecast it on TV etc I don't know. I guess no one will show it but they can try and get to within the 107% time. It obviously negates another thing, TV exposure for what ever sponsors they have or it could be a drying track and they will post the fastest times of all and take the front couple of rows. That should be fun, denying the top teams and cars of a shot at winning the Monaco GP for example or let the rookies in the mix for what might be a crucial championship race. Truth be told, teams like HRT, USF1 and Virgin GP should not have been selected to begin with and they would not have been if it was done in a fair manner. Well established outfits were over looked, the criteria was not merit but something else, financial. Who cares about US F1 but they were selected because F1 wants to make inroads into North America, and they cleverly talked about hiring a female F1 driver. Bernie and Max thought it was too good an idea to pass. Same is the case with Karan Chandhok. He might be good, but the hype and support given to him by Bernie and our friend Steve Slatter is not because of his talent but his nationality. Slatter is kissing up to him and as a result the team and Force India because he works for a channel which is directed at their audience. Bernie wants part of one of the world's rapidly growing economy. Thats why he took F1 to China too. There are so many things that need to be changed. FIA will inspect the diffusers in Australia, and make a rule clarification. I thought they would have done that after last year but clearly not. Four teams are running what might be deemed to be illegal difusers, among them, Mclaren and Mercedes. The other two are not clear, they might be Renault and Williams or maybe not and Ferrari might be one of the teams. So, there you have it. We might be heading into another controversy. Makes one think why were these rules not made clear after last year and all grey areas cleared up.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@UK
    Yes, I have not answer your question but the reason is on street circuits traffic will be a huge problem while on tracks like Spa, Interlagos I think even at Melbourne we will not see the traffic problem so I don't think it need to be mentioned that these cars can overtake on those tracks. You have mentioned all the Tilke's track except Hockeinheim on which we are returning this season. The new Hockenheim is also Tilke's design and it still provides the overtaking oppurtnity like the old Hockenheim. Also I like to point out that when you mention Montoya, I think the whole debate should not be diverted towards driver's talent but rather the lack of excitement in general, because if driver's talent will be discussed then Michal has said that overtaking is not possible and I think we will see him doing one or 2 overtaking moves in the next race at Melbourne and then he said that it is a bit difficult but still possible to do it. GP2 cars have passed on Valencia Street circuit last season and certainly neither Singapore nor China is on GP2 Asia series event venues so can't say whether GP2 cars could overtake there or not. I have read James article and the aero engineer is just saving his companions by blaming mechanical grip for the lack of overtaking. I think this is the right time to remind all the aero engineers that what Enzo Ferrari says about Aerodynamics "Aerodynamic is for amaetuers who don't know about mechanical stuff." Correct me if I am wrong about Enzo's quote.
    I will continue my discussion in my next post because loadshedding could happen at any time.
    M Saad Umar-

-- Ayrton Senna

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

although the race very boring...but to me redbull was rally on strong side.....although good win for alonso and massa but yet if vettle didt had the exhaust issue ..he would have been on first position

what about the schumi performance..he defended good 6th position ..but i think his package for race was not good..although rosberg performed well
    MOTOR MANIACS ... An automotive service and repair workshop
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Motor-Maniacs/721830141231922

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@rozzzzz
    Just to correct one thing Vettel has spark plug issue and not the exhaust issue, one of the spark plugs misfires which causes lost of power. Yes, RedBull is looking strong but some questions will be answered in next 3 races like how they perform in colder conditions of Melbourne and as FOM still wants a twilight Malaysian GP may be another wet race is around the corner and then in China they again face the colder conditions so a good conclusion will be drawn after China I guess about their performance.

Michal needs some time and he most likely will show his better form in the European races.

@UK
    About the last line that you mention about the article I think its a bit exaggerated but still is true that most of the new generation drivers have qualified from GP2. Certainly GP2 for last few season is the major series before F1 so all the drivers that have done something special in GP2 has qualified for F1 automatically.

I know you don't like Starsports F1 broadcast but during BahrainGP pre race show Sanjeev Palar(the indian Guy) has asked a question to Alonso that with the new points system are you happy? Alonso replied that yes it provides the winner a bigger reward then second position driver. After which the second question Sanjeev asked was So if you are on second do you try to go for attack on first position driver and Alonso replies NO. I just can't believe that the most talented driver of current grid is not wanting to go for the win even knowing the fact that win weighs more then second place, the reason is simple if he or anyone else finds himself in the position where he could attack the first position driver will not do it because they knows if they can't get the position they not only could lost the 2nd position but also overused their engine and gearboxes which could become a hurdle in future. The only way to remove such mentality from drivers mind is to remove some of the restricitons that are been imposed like the gearbox limit, engine limit for season, RPM limit. Until these retrictions remains we will never get the kind of racing we are wishing for quite some time.

Last but not least when you use Spa and Interlagos as an example for overtaking I could assure you that if those tracks are been build nowadays they could not provide the same level of exciting racing as they have produce last season. The rules for track building set by FIA(for safety) and FOM(for commercial) are so tight that you can't find a loop hole in them. Last season if DD diffusers could be banned we could have seen some more close racing then ever before. Back in old days the reliability was so low that if 26 cars start most of time less then 50% cars complete the race thatswhy those races are been regarded as exciting races other wise those races also doesnot have many lead changes like today.

Thanks for liking the Q4 suggestion, as for your point I don't think it is possible for any team to come out from last place to pole in that system because if such thing happens then it will raise a whole new debate and controversy of such high level that F1 may not afford that at all. Even in from wet to dry conditions I don't think there will be huge difference for the track surface as Q4 will happen within 5 mins of completion of Q3 and until or unless the race marshalls use blowers and helicopters to dry the track it is not possible for any wet surface to dry much. Plus this session only needs at max 5 mins because the number of cars will certainly not more then 6 or 8.
    M Saad Umar-

-- Ayrton Senna

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Fry relaxed about Schumacher's form<!-- end title -->
    Mercedes GP CEO Nick Fry says the team sees no reason to suggest that Michael Schumacher is having trouble adapting to the current generation of Formula 1 cars and tyres, and reckons it is just a matter of Mercedes improving its pace to allow the drivers to start winning.

Lopez critical of US F1 team<!-- end title -->
    Jose Maria Lopez has criticised the US F1 team after his dream move into Formula 1 collapsed when the outfit aborted its plans to enter in 2010.

Mallya not ruling out podiums in 2010<!-- end title -->
    Force India boss Vijay Mallya is not ruling out podium finishes this year after a promising performance in the opening race in Bahrain.

Bridgestone: No U-turn on F1 exit<!-- end title -->
    Formula 1 tyre supplier Bridgestone has played down talk that it is reconsidering its decision to quit the sport at the end of the year.

Kolles: Bahrain hardest weekend ever<!-- end title -->
    HRT F1 team boss Colin Kolles reckons that the Bahrain Grand Prix was the hardest race weekend he has ever experienced - after his outfit pulled off a series of all-nighters to get its cars ready.

Button: McLaren will be stronger in Oz<!-- end title -->
    World champion Jenson Button has no doubts that McLaren will do better in the Australian Grand Prix that it did in Bahrain last weekend.
    M Saad Umar-

-- Ayrton Senna

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ferrari: We can improve on Bahrain<!-- end title -->
    Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali thinks his team's performance in the Bahrain Grand Prix can only be rated as an eight out of ten - despite Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa taking a one-two finish.

McLaren buys back Mercedes stake<!-- end title -->
    McLaren has bought back the majority of Mercedes-Benz's stake in its Formula 1 team.
    The German manufacturer owned 40 per cent of McLaren's F1 operation prior to taking over Brawn GP.

'The will to please the public really isn't there'
    Formula One lacks the "will" to make sweeping changes to address the problem of the sport's flagging spectacle, according to two prominent figures of the governing body, the FIA.

Mercedes denies breaking engine freeze
    Mercedes has denied that it gained an unfair advantage by increasing the power of its engine under the development freeze last year.

Formula One staying at Monza
    Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has signed an agreement to keep the Italian Grand Prix at Monza until at least 2016.

Here comes the verdict of FIA on TDD or (Triple Deck Diffuser)
    FIA orders Merc and Renault to alter diffusers
    Mar.18 (GMM) It is expected that two more teams will be asked by the FIA to alter their double diffuser designs prior to scrutineering for next week’s Australian grand prix.
    OR
    FIA to tell more teams to alter diffusers
    OR
    F1SA - Motorsport: News channel - F1 : FIA to tell a couple more Formula 1 teams to alter rear diffuser design
    OR
    FIA to tell more teams to alter diffusers
    M Saad Umar-

-- Ayrton Senna

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^ hmm...really?..in the presence of Redbull, Ferrari, Mclaren etc...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The ominous thing for most teams is that, Red Bull and Ferrari are not thought to be the teams who would be asked to change anything. This comes on the back of their dominant display in Bahrain, and Ferrari are working on a new diffuser which is likely to debut in Barcelona.

@genius83

The old man was clearly wrong about what he said regarding aerodynamics.
    FIA regulations about safety and Bernie's desire to have a couple of few slow corners does not mean the whole track has to be messed up. A1 ring had a total of 7 corners, only 7, and it produced great racing. Adding little mickey mouse sections like the new bit at Bahrain does little to help racing. Tilke is not forced at gun point to produce sections like that on new tracks. He has done a decent job with the new Hockenhiem ring but at what cost? It destroyed a very unique track and one of the very few with minimum down force requirements. Not his fault i know, but spending time trying to think of making the pit exit through a tunnel etc isn't helping his track designs much.
    Removing restrictions on revs, engine and gear box use is something no team will agree with, at least not the middle or back of the grid teams because they will have no hope of competing with the big teams. The easiest and cheapest way right now might be a tire war. All the gifts left behind by Max Mosley will take time to dismantle.
    You are walking on think ice, bro. Calling Alonso, the most talented driver on the current grid, when Schumacher is on the same grid might be considered blasphemy by some. Well, luckily for you, they won't be showing up here till he scores a podium or out performs Rosberg.
    Lastly, yes a drying track can give you any amount of time especially in a 15 minute period. Five minutes break before the session and you have got to gibe them at least ten minutes to do a few runs to try and get within the 107% time. That will mess with that GP2 series though. Again, it's a never ending discussion and we agree to disagree again

@m_waqas

Yes, Sutil, who is a bit of a magnet for accidents, would have been on the podium, if he had avoided the mess on lap one, given how the race turned out. Even before the race people were saying he would end up on the podium after starting the race on the harder compound if he could manage to stay within 25secs of the leaders. We 'd never know since he had all those problems at the start but those Force India cars look quite fast.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes, Sutil, who is a bit of a magnet for accidents, would have been on the podium, if he had avoided the mess on lap one, given how the race turned out. Even before the race people were saying he would end up on the podium after starting the race on the harder compound if he could manage to stay within 25secs of the leaders. We 'd never know since he had all those problems at the start but those Force India cars look quite fast. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    hmm...thats what its about...not just the car but driver too has to be mentally strong to be able to finish on podium...i remember he squandered his chance of finishing on podium last year too..came very close..but lets see..

and i think i heard/read schumacher say that he liked sector 2 of Bahrain circuit...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Webber confident of Red Bull reliability<!-- end title -->
    Mark Webber is confident that Red Bull Racing will get on top of reliability this year, despite seeing it lose victory in the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix through a spark plug problem.

Sauber bullish on chances for Australia<!-- end title -->
    Sauber's technical director Willy Rampf is confident his team will be significantly stronger at the Australian Grand Prix than it was in Bahrain.

Brawn confident Mercedes will catch up<!-- end title -->
    Mercedes GP team boss Ross Brawn is adamant the German squad will be fighting at the front soon thanks to its development plan.

Virgin targeting early success<!-- end title -->
    Richard Branson believes Formula 1's move to cut down costs in the next few years will help his Virgin Racing team on a fast track to success.

Renault to keep aggressive development<!-- end title -->
    Renault has vowed to continue an aggressive development push at the start of the season after an encouraging start to its campaign in the Bahrain Grand Prix.

@UK
    Yes, A1-Ring, Austria has only 7 corners and thatswhy FIA drops the track. Bernie needs as many corners as possible just to make sponsors happy when cars slowing down to take the turn. Do you really know Why Bahrain has to adopt this endurance circuit because Bernie wants a track which has not been used by any other major series as the International circuit has been used by Aussie V8 Supercar Series this season thatswhy F1 has to take the endurance circuit and that is why I have said Bernie likes more corners otherwise he could have used the outertrack of the Bahrain Circuit which could provide more fast racing.

Well may be if we look at the current cars and say that Enzo was wrong but at that time the cars were becoming gliders because of such high wings present on the cars. How many cars from the past having aerodynamic advantage are been remembered as classics, but mechanical advantage cars are still been remembered as classics whether they have N/A V12's or Turbo I4's or Cosworth DFV V8's.

We will see what happens when Michal could get a podium first because if he wins I think our topic could sky rocketed with posts for his praise.
    The easiest and cheapset way out is not the tyre war because tyre war has also increase the budget plus that war has only favoured 2 teams.

There was a time when Goodyear was a sole tyre supplier and the racing was great don't you agree.

And as you said its a never ending discussion so how could I end this.
    M Saad Umar-

-- Ayrton Senna

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Renault allowed to make engine changes<!-- end title -->
    Renault has been given approval to make a 'large' number of improvements to its engines for cost and reliability reasons, AUTOSPORT has learned, even though the FIA has ruled out any form of power equalisation for this year.

FOTA backs FIA's road safety campaign<!-- end title -->
    The Formula One Teams' Association has announced that every car run by its member teams will carry a 'Make Roads Safe' logo from the Australian Grand Prix.

Stefanovic keeps pushing for F1 slot<!-- end title -->
    Serbian businessman Zoran Stefanovic is still pushing to get on to the grid in 2010, AUTOSPORT has learned, despite the FIA having told his Stefan GP outfit that it has not been granted an entry for this year.

FIA invites teams for 2011 selection<!-- end title -->
    The FIA has invited possible entrants for the 2011 Formula 1 season, after announcing earlier this month that it will open a new selection process to find more teams to fill the grid.
    M Saad Umar-

-- Ayrton Senna

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Williams hoping to hold onto Hulkenberg
    Sir Frank Williams is hoping to nurture Nico Hulkenberg at Williams and has tipped him as a star of the future.

Lauda tips Schumacher for Malaysia breakthorugh
    Three-time champion Niki Lauda is confident Michael Schumacher will be back at his very best by the time the F1 circus reaches Malaysia for the third round of the season.

Webber blames new front tyres for lack of overtaking
    Mark Webber believes the narrower front tyres introduced this season to improve the car's balance were key to the lack of overtaking at the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Mercedes relying on developments to close gap
    Mercedes has a development plan to close the gap to Red Bull and Ferrari over the next few races according to team principal Ross Brawn.

Schumacher hoping to draw on past success in Australia
    Michael Schumacher hopes his fond memories of driving the Albert Park circuit will stand him in good stead for next weekend's Australian Grand Prix.

Small teams 'playing for millions'
    Mike Gascoyne, the technical boss of the new Malaysian-backed Lotus team, has revealed that the battle at the back is actually a dash for many millions.
    M Saad Umar-

-- Ayrton Senna

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ferrari's young drivers get F2008 test<!-- end title -->
    Ferrari Driver Academy members Jules Bianchi, Mirko Bortolotti and Daniel Zampieri had a day of testing in one of the team's 2008 Formula 1 cars at Fiorano on Friday.

Hispania sets sights on race finish<!-- end title -->
    The Hispania team says its goal for next weekend's Australian Grand Prix is to get one of its cars to the finish of a race for the first time.

Button: Give F1 2010 time to improve<!-- end title -->
    World champion Jenson Button has warned against knee-jerk changes in the wake of the uneventful season opener in Bahrain - but acknowledged that the opening round of the 2010 campaign had been a disappointing spectacle.

Hamilton: Red Bull has big advantage<!-- end title -->
    Lewis Hamilton reckons Red Bull has a 'ridiculous' margin of superiority over its rivals based on its performance in Bahrain.
    M Saad Umar-

-- Ayrton Senna

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ayrton Senna: A life in pictures<!-- end title -->
    Triple world champion Ayrton Senna would have been 50 years old today.
    The Brazilian legend electrified Formula 1 from the moment he arrived with the humble Toleman team in 1984 until his tragic death at the age of 34 in an accident during the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix.

Here is a tribute video to the legend as FOM is deleting videos from Youtube so I am posting the downloadable link. It is a must watch video and I hope you guys will like it.

http://www.filefront.com/15810629/Ayrton-Senna.avi/
    M Saad Umar-

-- Ayrton Senna

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@genius83

First of all thank you very much for posting the link. I 've seen quite a few documentaries about the great man, but this ranks as one of the best if not the best. I was going to post the youtube links to it, five parts, but as always a couple of days after posting it, Antti's videos have been taken down again. He has used different documentaries and footage very nicely and handled the end better than most.

Back to the never ending discussion I don't recall FIA closing down the A-1 ring because of it's seven corners. It was something to do with environmentalists at that time, lack of government support and like most, actually every GP track, A-1 ring was making a loss. Red Bull owner tried to resurrect the track but nothing came off it. My point was not about why it was closed, I was trying to say that even with 7 corners you can have a track that allows teams to pass. Tilke can put a dozen slow corners for all i care if only he would also put two three that give people an opportunity to pass.
    F1 has never had great over taking to be honest. F1 remembers rivalries more than it remembers drivers and past always looks better to everyone in every respect, be it sport or general life. We tend to think there were over takings galore in the years gone by but if you look closely, you will see it was always someone in a top team and just about always a very special driver/champion who did that. Today's rules and tracks make it a lot more difficult than it was before.
    About the tire war, no, not two teams benefited from it but more, something like four teams easily, Mclaren, Williams, Renault and Ferrari and even BAR-Honda in 2004. They were pretty much the front line teams with the best drivers, most resources, and logically they will always be at the front. Tire war is not expensive, it's free for F1. It will only be expensive for the tire suppliers and that too not to the extent we will make F1 expensive if we bring back rules like no limit on engine use, gearbox and unlimited testing etc, Teams never pay anything for the tires they get and the suppliers gain a lot of advantage by supplying tires to F1. That's the game Bridgestone are playing right now and delaying their announcement to remain in F1. They will get a lot of mileage out of the road safety campaign that FIA is going to run and their tires will feature prominently in that.
    Lastly, when was racing great when Goodyear was the only tire supplier? Unless you are talking about the rivalries that i mentioned earlier.
    The never ending discussion goes on

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Blanchimont tunnel collapses at Spa<!-- end title -->
    A section of an access tunnel underneath the track at Spa-Francorchamps collapsed on Sunday morning.

De la Rosa expects Sauber improvement<!-- end title -->
    Pedro de la Rosa expects BMW Sauber to improve its performance in Australia, following a disappointing opening race of the season for the team in Bahrain.

Stefan GP ends Toyota collaboration<!-- end title -->
    Zoran Stefanovic says he will not continue his relationship with the Toyota ex-Formula 1 team based in Germany this year, after his plans for an F1 entry for this year failed.

Renault hopeful of challenging top four<!-- end title -->
    Renault's chief race engineer Alan Permane believes the team can get among the established top four this season after a strong first race in Bahrain.

@UK
    I know you like it, well I am a subscriber of Antti's Youtube channel and as soon as I got the notification for the video I have check the first part and knowing Antti's ability because of his previous videos I know after just first 2, 3 mins of watching first part that this is an awesome video and when he puts the downloading link I download it because this video deserves watching complete in one go and on Youtube watching it in parts will not worth it. The level of stupidity from FOM is reaching new heights they not only ask to remove all the videos but also block Antti's account too.

Now for the discussion, No I am not referring to the rivalaries of that era but the fact that even if anyone who started a bit low on the grid has the chance of getting podiums and even wins too and all of this could only happen because of the lack of reliability which nowadays has vanished from the sports, as I said about 3 months ago when Starsports has shown the 94 British GP that one engine blowup at the very start another car stopped just after 3 laps nowadays such things are not possible. The cars now coming with bulletproof reliability for last few season and may be this season that trend could change because of the 3 new teams otherwise all the other teams have almost perfect reliability. I have question for you imagine if we have one engine one race rule this season do you think after the spark plug issue Vettel slows down or he still pushes the car to gain as much time as possible from the Ferrari's and Hamilton because I think he slows down to save the engine when the team told him that the problem is mechanical and goes into a fuel saving mode so that the engine could remain in healthy shape because otherwise he losts a engine at the very first race of the season and then he has only 7 engines for the remaining 18 races. Remember I am not saying he could win with a faulty cylinder but could take enough time difference between himself and Hamilton that Hamilton would force to attack him in the last few laps.

As you the reasons why A1 Ring was drop, I like to give you a conspiracy theory about Spa. On PlanetF1, a member has asked a question regarding the property value around SpaFrancorchamps circuit and then put a wild theory that what are the chances that Bernie could but some of that house around the circuit and give to some of his known people and those are the people who has filed the lawsuit against Spa to close down as a circuit. (This whole theory was presented when there was a lawsuit in Belgian Court). Now I am asking do you think the environmentalists that were responsible for the dropping A1 Ring were paid by Bernie too.

Renault was the main beneficiary of Michelin's tyre development and Ferrari was the main beneficiary of Bridgestone's tyre development. Although Michelin's development has provided help to other teams too but not to the extent like Renault. Bridgestone doesnot have anyother major team so certainly there full efforts have been in the light what of Ferrari ask them.
    M Saad Umar-

-- Ayrton Senna

Closed Thread

User Tag List