Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question thinking about restoring merc w123

aoa guys.

i need your input (especially those who have such experience)regarding my plan to buy old merc w123 and try to restore it so that it can be used as a daily runner.
    budget is around 3lac.

regards

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

good car..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

double post - time out problems..
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mdkn View Post
    aoa guys.

i need your input (especially those who have such experience)regarding my plan to buy old merc w123 and try to restore it so that it can be used as a daily runner.
    budget is around 3lac.

regards
    Ive worked on many models of MB and currently own a W124 - what are you calling restoration? because if you wish to fully take it by the horns for a proper repair job with german parts. Rs 300,000/- can be enough for the job or just parts depending on how bad the car is.

When repairing the undercarriage with new bushings/mountings/shocks/GRMs/balljoints etc. expect to pay about USD 1200/- in parts only, the engine work is dependant on what engine you have.. and the expensive bit would be the interior and electrics. Some parts like the A/C blower are now NLA brand new (no longer available) - if the A/C is the climate control type and has been jugaar repaired by A/C waaley ustaads of Pakistan, prepare to shell out USD350/- for a rebuilt one, heater valve, pump and core are separate, if the vacuum pods in the dash are shot - you have to buy new MB parts, no other way around they are about USD300/- for all.

Repairing the driveshaft is mandatory too as it uses rubber couplings instead of U joints. If that coupling fails the driveshaft will completely destroy the transmission tunnel.

And you would need a very nicely laid out tool kit too with an assortment of hex bits and a set of 1/4 inch sockets and a vacuum pump tool (it is a life saver on this car), They are great cars but require some special tools to service, e.g. putting on the front crank oil seal requires a plastic sleeve, If you dont use it then it doesnt seal on the rider sleeve and you end up with leaks - problem is that you cannot see the rider as its deep in the seal cavity.

Who is going to tackle the job, you? or mechanics? and what cars have you looked at? I will quote a very famous saying about mercedes benz cars. There is no car more expensive than a cheap mercedes benz.

meaning that buy a car that is not a basket case.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thankyou very much for your promt reply. sufficient to jolt my senses. to expose my heinous plans. I am (was) thinking of installing toyota G engine with auto gear (estimated cost 90K). basically trying coupling comfort of benz to reliability of toyota. saw 1980 model w123. with good interior. acceptable rust. requiring a paint and bit of denter's job. no idea about shocks etc. and ofcourse for work, to be relied on mechanic.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well the thread is quite old now and i hope you wouldn't had done something stupid like installing a donkey in front of horse cart?

7. 18-04-2012, 11:26 AM

Site Banned

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List