0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lightbulb Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan!

It was Saturday evening, i was going to G.P.O when i saw a Marcopolo bus of army (or may be PTDC) which reminded me of something and now i'm posting it rite here.

I still remember the days when first motorway M2 was built in 97, i was 8 years old. From 97 to 99, i traveled a lot in coaches with my family. Since i was very sharp observer and very much interested in vehicles, i saw many Mercedes, Marcopolo and some other coaches which were NOT there before 1997. (Original pix are not available, just for reference so you can recognize the vehicles)
    I traveled with my uncle in new khan's mercedes frm lahore to isb twice.
    Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan! -1026673
    (It took me more than an hour to search the exact model and the name of the bus thanks to Google and my excellent research techniques It is Mercedes Tourismo 1993-2001!!! BOLO, AB YAAD AYEA? )

I also traveled in Marcopolo (Rehber travels) from Sahiwal to Lahore with my grandma.
    Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan! -1026674

(This is longer version, with toilet and has 8 wheeler, ours was w/o toilet, different color and 6 wheeler, but front lites are same, it's Marcopolo Dina, 1990s. New khan had at least 10 coaches)

But after 2000, we traveled more in trains than coaches. Now last year, I went to South Punjab by Skyways, and i could see just Japanese Nishi high-deck, no Mercedes, Marcopolo or any of those buses i saw during that time. I came back by Niazi, same situation. They had desi Hino and Nishi. Skyways has now running Daewoo as luxary coach.

And all the way on motorway, I unable to spot a single bus of type I mentioned, until today when i finally saw one in my own city.

Now im very curious to find the answers of few questions:

Where did these buses come from?

Mercedese and Marcopolo were RHD, may be from uk, but im sure i did see this type of coach which were gone through LHD to RHD conversion because
    Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan! -393898 (This time I unable to find the exact model, but it's close sister and do appreciate me for my research skills actually there was totally 2 or 3 buses running between lhr to isb, and whenever I saw them, they were on the move, couldn't read the name)

I noticed the driver's door was looking like passenger door and vice versa. Although i was a kid, yet very smart to detect that thing.
    I think it could be Renault or MAN.

What i guess, prime minister allowed limited number of duty free coaches for motorway because he knew that our missile buses were too bad for motorway. What do you think?

Where have the buses gone?

We still have 70s bedford with coaster bodies. Even hell condition vehicles are still on the road, so what made them disappeared?

They could do the engine swap, but dumping or grounding a new and expensive coach doesn't make any sense in country like pakistan!

Or did they export these buses to???

Still doubt, Afghanistan and Iran drive LHDs, trade with india was very limited during that time and they have Tata, why would they import 3rd hand pakistani coaches?

So it's like the death of a young person.
    These questions have been haunting me for 3 days

And this is not all over, this has happened to some other vehicles too!

There were green three wheeler long chases rickshaws used to commute between Gulshan Ravi and morh Samanabad Lahore in 1994-5, just like this one.
    Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan! -393902
    (Original pix not available)

And what happened to this?
    Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan! -393903
    (original pix, introduced in mid 2000s, couldn't spot it again while I visit Lahore in 2009 and 2011)

Same thing for 1990s ford transit vans which were there in twin cities during late 90s but couldn't be seen after 2001.
    Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan! -393905

So i want replies and if you know same thing happened to some vehicles in past, please do share it!

It's all about to share and discuss EXTINCT vehicles of pakistan those came and suddenly disappeared.

Please don't mention anything like Moris, because it comes in vintage and classic.

However, you can include any classic which was there during 70s or 80s but disappeared soon after it was introduced.
    Adam Revo and TMC are also eligible for 'extinct vehicles' of pakistan category.
    Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan! -393908
    Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan! -393909

I hope now you have got my point

Safety 1st!
    Always Must!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

nice..
    Maa Da Laddlaa Vigar Gaya.... Chevy Aveo Ly K Nikal Gaya.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ekdrifter View Post
    i remember marcopolo they were a hit before daewoo
    They remained there till early 2000, good competition with Daewoo Sammi. . .

Now it's good to see Skyways Daewoo, they are charging very reasonable, I think just 700 from Lahore to Rawalpindi (Faizabad)

Quote Originally Posted by rohaansaeed View Post
    According to some of my contacts, transport operators who were operating the imported buses throughout the country had taken loans from different banks and they were paying heavy instalments to the banks, due to a hike in oil and fuel prices the transporters were on the brink of bankruptcy, along with this the maintenance and parts were being too much of a burden for them, these buses had very delicate technology (complicated for our transporters) and they were unable to sort things out if a malfunction occurred. The main drawback was the suspension design and electronics that confused the transporters and this was where they faced their main problems.

All of these factors forced the operators to opt for buses that were comparatively cheaper and had low maintenance costs. Some of these buses still stand parked at certain 'addaas' or lots, others were impounded by banks.

There's various lots in Karachi where I've seen imported buses totally deserted. These include buses by manufacturers such as Mercedes and MAN.

Busy with exams >.>
    Oh I seeeee!!!! Please try to take a shot of parked elephants if you can I'd really appreciate it

And thanks very much for nice info you've shared despite you're busy in exams! Good luck and I want to see you back in that thread rite after exams

Quote Originally Posted by Skt_Z4 View Post
    hahh!! What great thing U've Posted!! I Remember the Marcopolo & New Khan's Roadliner!!

Roadliners, you mean red and white Hino? These buses were successful and I'm sure most of the buses are still there with body modifications, so we can't recognize them. But I can see many buses with LHP, RIR and IDT license plates. . .

I can't forget the Trip that i Traveled on Marcopolo With my family in 1999 ! That was amazing
    Me too and the trip to Pindi (I used to live in Lahore) in Red and white Mercedes Tourismo, I enjoyed playing with study lamps and adjusting the seats It was a nice experience. When we stopped in service area, I asked the driver, "where is the engine?" he smiled and told me it was on rear
    Safety 1st!
    Always Must!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Smile

@PrinceSultan
    The Marco Polo buses you mentioned were made by Mercedes Benz Brazil and not Germany. I travelled in them and also in the Japanese Hino buses imported 2nd hand by Skyways and New Khan. The Marco Polo is not as comfortable as the Hino. And maintenance of Marco Polo is also very expensive and peculiar. There is only one mechanic of Marco Polo buses in Lahore and he also does improvised repairs (jugaru). And the technology used is also strange. You can't use only the fan function for ventilation. Have to switch on either the heater or A/C. And since the buses were expensive compared to Hino so only a few are now being used in Pakistan.

You forgot to mention the Yamaha Enduro trail bike which was a craze in the 1980s.
    :-)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by rohaansaeed View Post

There's various lots in Karachi where I've seen imported buses totally deserted. These include buses by manufacturers such as Mercedes and MAN.
    Sir! If you've seen these buses on Karachi port, this could be the reason of our "friendly" custom duty procedure so the buses couldn't run for a kilometre in Pakistan after import

They say Tata Buses are rusting to death in Khi Port because of import policies. . .

Am I rite?
    Safety 1st!
    Always Must!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Nice to see you!

Quote Originally Posted by mehran View Post
    @PrinceSultan
    The Marco Polo buses you mentioned were made by Mercedes Benz Brazil and not Germany. I travelled in them and also in the Japanese Hino buses imported 2nd hand by Skyways and New Khan. The Marco Polo is not as comfortable as the Hino. And maintenance of Marco Polo is also very expensive and peculiar. There is only one mechanic of Marco Polo buses in Lahore and he also does improvised repairs (jugaru). And the technology used is also strange. You can't use only the fan function for ventilation. Have to switch on either the heater or A/C. And since the buses were expensive compared to Hino so only a few are now being used in Pakistan.

You forgot to mention the Yamaha Enduro trail bike which was a craze in the 1980s.
    Hino (Nishi) high-deck are comfortable but they really suck when they enter in Salt Range Mercedes Tourismo climbed well as I remembered, we easily overtook Daewoo Sammi and Hino Roadliners in Kalar Kahar area.

Talking about Marcopolo, now they are ONLY running in Navy and PTDC. So I called it Extinct vehicle

Yamaha Enduro! I think I saw few in my childhood, but I was born in 1989, the last year of 1980s thanks for sharing, I want more people to share anything which is now "EXTINCT' in Pakistan!!!
    Safety 1st!
    Always Must!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Yamaha Enduro, this one?

Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan! - 394599 Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan  99858026 1thumb 550x410 500x372
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Safety 1st!
    Always Must!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceSultan View Post
    Sir! If you've seen these buses on Karachi port, this could be the reason of our "friendly" custom duty procedure so the buses couldn't run for a kilometre in Pakistan after import

They say Tata Buses are rusting to death in Khi Port because of import policies. . .

Am I rite?
    These aren't on the port, these are parked in various plots.

Yes there are Tata buses on the port and it's not mainly the customs that are being a problem, our transport mafia is doing everything it can to not let these buses become functional and bus operators are already under loans so they're asking the Government to help in the form of subsidy, talks are being done but to no avail so far.
    City SX8 - Civic ES - Accord SiR CF4 F20B
    Build Threads http://ow.ly/cZpvx and http://ow.ly/cZpDb

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

May be due to parts availability and expensive maint those buses were dumped.
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I want to see this thing extinct

Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan! - 523178760 ff088c5f1e

Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan! -1015690
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i liked the double decker,i sat once in it in lahore,it was fun to have a ride in it ...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dms664 View Post
    May be due to parts availability and expensive maint those buses were dumped.
    But the problem is, we Pakistanis don't dump even 50 years old vehicles, 1970s buses are still on the road with body modification every 3 to 5 years. Our USTAADz are very clever, they can fit Toyota & Suzukiz parts in almost every vehicle! In this case, they could fit Hino & Isuzu parts in Mercedes and Marcopolo, as they do with Volvo trucks (6 & 10 wheeler tractor), Afghani Mercedes tractors (trailor) and some Volvo trucks on our roads are fixed by desi mechanics.

Yes, I also wish this thing becomes extinct, and it'll once some bandy da puttar takes charge in Parliament House and Presidency OR if IG, some senior Army man or politition get killed by these illegal trucks :@ Otherwise it will remain there for accidents. . .

Quote Originally Posted by usmanulamin View Post
    i liked the double decker,i sat once in it in lahore,it was fun to have a ride in it ...
    Good! Are the buses still running in Lahore? Or at least have you spotted one in Lahore?
    Safety 1st!
    Always Must!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i also see a Fiat parked in saddar Peshawar its a 4 door type pick up and i really grown up watching that car its still in use now it has a toyota engine and parts only body is fiat and its owned by a mechanic plus it has a 86 corolla dash and same for Fiat UNO diesl very rare to see one
    i remember my uncle had imported a KIA back in 96 yes it was the first kia pride in KPK at that time we used to see it how different it was from other stuff like khybers around now its scraped and they own a JENIAN mehran
    other vehicles include which i think are going to be extinct are Vespa's why cost of petrol they don't give good millage and spares are expencive from many bikes out there and u mentioned that dirt bike yes i loved it never had a ride on it but it was most desirable 2 wheeler , other then that my neighbours had a bike it was china made but it had paddels it workd like a bi cycle if u run out of petrol and that's from early 90's other thing was subaru j10i its also a rare car now and no one wants it plus Quad bikes how every kid in 90's was crazy for them and BMX bikes as well
    Hanjiii Kaa Storeey Eehh !

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i still miss the marcopolo bus! used to travel from isb to lhr when i was a kid its ac was really really good!seats were also nice!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Marschall View Post
    THAT my friend is and has been the workhorse for Pakistan since our granddads and will continue to be the backbone of our economy till our grandchildren
    y not induct new workhorses?

Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan! - 389685 10151486823545567 879755566 23384539 2033574482 n

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Man you have artistic way of thinking! i like that. I still remember those three wheeler rikshaws In gulshan ravi, as i live here. Now stupid chingqi's have taken its place. New khan has a bus terminal nat band road but its like a haunted place now. They also used to have those mercedes benz wagons. Only niazi and skyways is operational now. The reason why we dont see those old buses is poor after sales service.
    I used to want to change the world. Now I just want to leave the room with a little dignity.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dms664 View Post
    I want to see this thing extinct

Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan! - 523178760 ff088c5f1e

Extinct Vehicles of Pakistan! -1015691
    THAT my friend is and has been the workhorse for Pakistan since our granddads and will continue to be the backbone of our economy till our grandchildren
    "Stand by your glasses steady and drink to your comrade's eyes.
    Here's a toast to the dead already and hurrah for the next to die."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The problem with the buses are lack of proper repair systems, e.g. I have worked on the mercedes turismo A/C unit. The owners had spent about Rs 100,000/- in 6 months and still it had a terrible time controlling cooling. Most Bus A/C works places had recommended to install complete Hino A/C units (typical pakistani mentality) at a huge staggering cost - and you can well imagine how it would have been tied to the main control system.

The problem was these buses A/C units are calibrated depending on the area of use, meaning that if the bus is to be used in a cold climate then the A/C is used in conjunction with the heating to maintain humidity. Do not expect the A/C to cool down Multan summer heat. For that the expansion valves and switchovers need to be replaced and the condenser cooling system reworked, reworked also is recommended for rough road driving. An order for parts from Turkey, installed and done - those same original A/C systems were making the buses meat freezing units.

The same thing was with transmissions, they had automatic units and require full flushes every 30,000 kms, most bus/truck mechanics are not versed with repairing automatic transmissions. They dont even care how a turbocharger boosts a diesel engine, they go ahead and put petrol in the fuel to boost power, rather than work the diesel pump.

They met the fate of every other machinery in Pakistan, if it doesnt work, hammer it, doesnt work then toyota or suzukify it, doesnt work, sell it for scrap.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Smile Thanks all for showing interest!

Quote Originally Posted by cooldevil View Post
    i still miss the marcopolo bus! used to travel from isb to lhr when i was a kid its ac was really really good!seats were also nice!
    Good to see you here, as you are a fan of the buses

Quote Originally Posted by xain91 View Post
    Man you have artistic way of thinking! i like that. I still remember those three wheeler rikshaws In gulshan ravi, as i live here. Now stupid chingqi's have taken its place. New khan has a bus terminal nat band road but its like a haunted place now. They also used to have those mercedes benz wagons. Only niazi and skyways is operational now. The reason why we dont see those old buses is poor after sales service.
    Thanks dear And it’s really good to see at least someone is there who remember the 3 wheelers I used to live in C block, G. Ravi I think in 1994-95. Actually they extinct because:
    1] Petrol got expensive
    2] if you can take 7 passengers in “Chand Gadi” then why would one need it for 9 passengers?

The Mercedes Wagons are still there, but they have got Toyota engine + CNG so they are no more comfortable! Now they are under power, and AC of Toyota Coaster is even better than Toyotafied (m taking the word from Dictionary of Xulfqar, USA. vol xxi ) Mercedes wagons. Plus three big CNG tanks inside the passenger cabin I never take ride in the vans again!

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    The problem with the buses are lack of proper repair systems, e.g. I have worked on the mercedes turismo A/C unit. The owners had spent about Rs 100,000/- in 6 months and still it had a terrible time controlling cooling. Most Bus A/C works places had recommended to install complete Hino A/C units (typical pakistani mentality) at a huge staggering cost - and you can well imagine how it would have been tied to the main control system.

The problem was these buses A/C units are calibrated depending on the area of use, meaning that if the bus is to be used in a cold climate then the A/C is used in conjunction with the heating to maintain humidity. Do not expect the A/C to cool down Multan summer heat. For that the expansion valves and switchovers need to be replaced and the condenser cooling system reworked, reworked also is recommended for rough road driving. An order for parts from Turkey, installed and done - those same original A/C systems were making the buses meat freezing units.

The same thing was with transmissions, they had automatic units and require full flushes every 30,000 kms, most bus/truck mechanics are not versed with repairing automatic transmissions. They dont even care how a turbocharger boosts a diesel engine, they go ahead and put petrol in the fuel to boost power, rather than work the diesel pump.

They met the fate of every other machinery in Pakistan, if it doesnt work, hammer it, doesnt work then toyota or suzukify it, doesnt work, sell it for scrap.
    Welcome sir!

It’s really good to know that you worked on Tourismo, and sure thing, if the owner had to spend 100k in 6 months (we used to pay 150-180 Rupees per seat from Pindi to Lahore), in fact the owner was losing more than 50% of what he earned.

One of my relatives is ‘IBNE-BATOOTA’ he works in KSA, but he had traveled to many countries, about half of Asia, Europe and America. He told me Mercedes Tourismo is running successfully even in poorer countries. It is popular coach in Egypt, France and many African and Latin countries.

Well, that was the end of these nice coaches a Khan driver told me Marcoplo is one of the reasons why New Khan Roadrunners had to withdraw from Pindi-Lahore route. Skyways and Niazi chose Nishi and they are still successful!

Any idea how much did they used to co$t in 1990s in Pakistan and how did they import it & from where?
    Safety 1st!
    Always Must!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

any machinery is as good as the person keeping it in proper repair. similarly you cannot expect a "qasai" to do surgery. The result would be disastrous at best.

In Pakistan everything is left to ustaad shaagird to resolve. And these ustaads think that they are the final word in automotive technology, same with drivers too - the drivers of the turismo were usually seen gunning the vehicle overloaded which would raise trans temperature to dangerous levels and eventually burn the clutches. There was a gauge right on the dashboard for trans temperature. Even simple jobs of wheel bearing packing and sealing are botched up, how many vehicles have you seen that have leaking hubs with black grease splattered on the wheel?

My reasoning of butcher doing surgery is very correct here, our mechanics are best at throwing parts at a problem, why do you think toyota corollas, hilux, hiace, cruisers and coasters are so successful? They are in abundant supply as cut up old parts which our mechanics will buy as whole and replace them in the original car calling it their "skill"

So now our people are stuck with a Gul Khan coh works body with seats fit for hobbits, riding 2 ft above ground on Hino rolling chassis with engine in the front so the passengers can hear every note the engine puts out.

for about where these buses came from? they were brought in as used items originating from different parts of the world.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well because when Daewoo started their work in Lahore and other Major Cities of Pakistan. They introduced the LUXURY Buses concept in Pakistan, so in competitive rivalry the other Transporters shift to the existing class of Coaches and Buses. It is my view point every one has right to disagree with me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List