+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By ahmadbila
  • 2 Post By aqs29
  • 2 Post By supereagle
  • 2 Post By usama1
  • 1 Post By abidjafri
  • 1 Post By deel_ee

Thread: What makes a car "a market car" in Pakistan?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default What makes a car "a market car" in Pakistan?

I never really understood what makes a car a "market car" in Pakistan. Let me illustrate my point.

About 5-6 years ago, around the time when I joined Pakwheels as well, I quite liked Mark X and thought I'd purchase it one day. Little did I know how our currency was going to de-value ( dollar went up from 60 odd Rs. to 80+), making it impossible for a middle class person like me to buy any decent car, let alone a mark x.

The other day when I was having a conversation with a friend who is in Pakistan ( I have been away from local market scene for 4 years now) he said that mark X is not very popular in our market. Wy not? I think it is a very decent car. Is it due to reliability issues or our mechanics' inability to deal with such cars? Along similar lines, where did mini Pajero disappear? There used to be loads of mini Pajeros for sales few years back. Now I hardly ever see any. What about Mitsubishi gallant? Why don't we see any of those?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

take an absolutely amazing car. i mean the most perfect that u can ever imagine. now throw away the amazing and perfect things, there u have it! a "market car" of Pakistan...
    When the power of love exceeds the love for power, the world will finally know peace=Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Reasonabily priced parts availability everywhere & easily available mechanical help make any car a Market Car anywhere in the world. Pakistan ain't no different.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

spare parts availability. if no parts then people cant fix broken cars. there is no salvage system here
    ,,, unless you know the track, you're not good enough to sit behind the wheel." K T

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by deel_ee View Post
    I never really understood what makes a car a "market car" in Pakistan. Let me illustrate my point.

About 5-6 years ago, around the time when I joined Pakwheels as well, I quite liked Mark X and thought I'd purchase it one day. Little did I know how our currency was going to de-value ( dollar went up from 60 odd Rs. to 80+), making it impossible for a middle class person like me to buy any decent car, let alone a mark x.

The other day when I was having a conversation with a friend who is in Pakistan ( I have been away from local market scene for 4 years now) he said that mark X is not very popular in our market. Wy not? I think it is a very decent car. Is it due to reliability issues or our mechanics' inability to deal with such cars? Along similar lines, where did mini Pajero disappear? There used to be loads of mini Pajeros for sales few years back. Now I hardly ever see any. What about Mitsubishi gallant? Why don't we see any of those?
    @deel_ee

Mohtaram Mr. deel_ee Sahib,
    You can manufacture a market car in Pakistan. Just make a contract with any foreign car maker, bribe the government and start making trash with a minimal price-tag. Look at Suzuki Mehran. It is the top of the line market car in Pakistan and tops from the bottom in quality, probably the worst quality car in the world and it is a 'market car.' Hell yeah!

Cost also comes into effect. Pakistan being a poor country with more than 60% of the population making less than $2 dollars a day, owning a car is a dream. The policies of the government don't help the country, politicians are very busy looting the funds of all kinds and enjoy their S Class Mercedeses and Land Cruisers. On the other hand the policies of IMF and World Bank have caused poverty to increase in the wrongly called developing countries of the world. Both IMF and the World Bank were formed at the end of World War 2 to help poor countries develop and look what happened. The majority of countries taking loans from these agencies have gone further deep down into poverty. How can a common man afford a Mark X in Pakistan to make it a 'market car,' where even a Suzuki Mehran (a market car) is out of his reach? IMF and World Bank also dictates the Custom Duties on the import of not only cars but everything else. Cars are becoming more and more expensive by the day also because of the devaluation of the rupee against the Dollar, Euro and the Japanese Yen.

Just to give yo an example. I bought a Suzuki FX, zero mile in 1985 for Rs. 67700 equivalent to US $ 4220. Today I can sell my car for Rs. 150,000 equivalent to US $ 1500 after running it for 28 years and doing 300,000+ km. This is how much our currency has devalued over the years. The value of one's currency reflects the state of the economy and ours is in a shambles.

The most favourite car in Pakistan is a Toyota Corolla GLi and is a relatively quality car although driving it reminds me of riding a donkey compared to JDMs (Japanese Domestic Market cars), European or American cars. It has a tremendously amazing resale value and does its job well minus the driving pleasure. It too is a rich man's car in Pakistan. Only the elite can afford it. Imagine GLi trash being within the reach of the elite only. What a tragedy!

Regards and take care.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The WORST the QUALITY,The CAR is the MOST MARKET CAR
    eg suzuki mehran is thr most IN car of the market, alto is lill less,and Liana is totally out of market almost.

Same is the case with Corolla, XLi is the most IN car of the market, then it comes GLi, then Altis n GLi 1.6 with max options with least MARKET.

Lets take one more example, civic back in 1996 was for 640k almost and npw in 2013 you still manage to sell it in the same price after using it for 17 years, but Honda Accord was for 18 lac in 1996 but now you will hardly get 8-9 lac, althogh there is no match of PKDM civic and Japan Assembled Accord which has almost every option and hell more comfortable then civic...pakistani car mkt is ridiculous.

Sent from my A8 using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Latest News Update 1$ is now PKR 105+ ...
    A Winner Never Quits -- A Quitter Never Wins !!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by usama1 View Post
    The WORST the QUALITY,The CAR is the MOST MARKET CAR
    eg suzuki mehran is thr most IN car of the market, alto is lill less,and Liana is totally out of market almost.

Same is the case with Corolla, XLi is the most IN car of the market, then it comes GLi, then Altis n GLi 1.6 with max options with least MARKET.

Lets take one more example, civic back in 1996 was for 640k almost and npw in 2013 you still manage to sell it in the same price after using it for 17 years, but Honda Accord was for 18 lac in 1996 but now you will hardly get 8-9 lac, althogh there is no match of PKDM civic and Japan Assembled Accord which has almost every option and hell more comfortable then civic...pakistani car mkt is ridiculous.

Sent from my A8 using PW Forums mobile app
    And the new accord is "only" around 99lac rupees, thanks to our duty structure and inability of our car manufacturers to make good cars locally.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Seems like a touched a nerve or two there :p @supereagle

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by deel_ee View Post
    Seems like a touched a nerve or two there :p @supereagle
    @deel_ee

Mohtaram deel_ee Sahib,
    Thanks for your input. I just answered your question about what a 'market car' is and I tried my best to answer it. I hope my post has helped you in understanding what a 'market car' is in Pakistan. I feel that lots of our brothers in pakwheels.com feel the same way about cars in Pakistan. Just look at the price and once, heaven forbid, you crash it, all your money and investment is gone. The insurance premiums are very high. Not very many people can afford to have insurance for the reasons I've mentioned in my earlier post.

I understand that you are based in London and might not have an idea about what's going on in the Pakistani car market. Some British-Pakistanis are in the business of exporting quality cars to Pakistan including Mercedes (C180 and C200 Kompressor), BMW (3 and 5 Series) and 4X4s like the pick-up trucks (Hilux) and Land Cruisers.

Regards and take care.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List