Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: How to save fuel through your driving style/habits (Hypermiling)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default How to save fuel through your driving style/habits (Hypermiling)

I have been posting my fuel statistics on Civic 9th Generation forum. The focus from Civic diverted from its features to some other topic. That's why I decided to make a separate thread for the same purpose. I shall be explaining the methods and ways for increasing the fuel efficiency of Civic 9th Generation.

First of all, I shall explain what actually is Hyper-Milling?
    Definition: It is a method of increasing your car's gas mileage by making skillful changes in the way you drive, allowing you to save gas and thereby have an easier time withstanding the rising oil and gas prices.

Basics of Hyper-Milling
    1. Don't Rush
    2. Always Remain Calm
    3. Don't push accelerator HARD
    4. Always anticipate ahead
    5. Don't brake HARD
    6. Drive with flow of Traffic

Techniques of Saving Fuel on 9th Gen Prosmatic
    1. Motorway
    I shall be mentioning the speed limits and mileage you will get against each on Motorway. However, this also variates whether going from Islamabad to Lahore, Islamabad to Peshawar and vice-versa. There are various factors like winds, terrain etc. Average will be better when going from Islamabad to Lahore than moving back because you save a lot of fuel at Salt Ranges.
    Less than 70 kmpl - The average will more or less remain same or will get bad at very slow speeds.
    70 km/hr - 22.5 kmpl
    80 km/hr - 21.5 kmpl
    90 km/hr - 20.5 kmpl
    100 km/hr - 19 kmpl
    110 km/hr - 17 kmpl
    120 km/hr - 15 kmpl
    130 km/hr - 14 kmpl
    140 km/hr - 13 kmpl
    150 km/hr - 11.5 kmpl
    These are my calculated averages so there may be variation at different locations at different conditions.

2. G.T. Road
    The driving at GT Roads is a bit tricky. I try to maintain 80 or I drive with the flow of traffic. Here is a thumb rule. Always Anticipate. Neither accelerate hard nor brake hard. Whenever you see any slow traffic, leave accelerator from far distance instead of going very close and then braking hard. It wastes a lot of fuel. Whenever you see clear road, always take use of Cruise Control.

3. Express Highway, Islamabad
    Thumb Rule; Always drive between 60-80 with Cruise Control. And feel the difference in average.

General Points
    1. Drive your vehicle on Econ Mode.
    2. Set the temperature on auto and select the temperature which is reasonable
    3. Always make use of Cruise Control
    4. Tyre play an important role in saving fuel so keep 30 psi in all tires. Whenever you fill the air in any Tyre, ask the person to check all tires because you will always find difference in every other gauge. The reason is that gauges here are never collaborated.
    5. Don't slide down the windows. Instead of saving fuel, they decrease the fuel efficiency.
    6. The maximum fuel one can save is during acceleration. Always accelerate with light foot. Initially it will irritate you. Once you get used to it, you will start enjoying your driving.

Benefits of Hyper-Milling
    1. You save fuel
    2. Obviously you save money
    3. You drive safe
    4. You feel relaxed
    5. You don't get stressed
    6. You feel relaxed and enjoy your drive

Can you become a Hyper-Miller?
    Obviously YES. I used to be a rashhhhhh driver. I used to drive my accord at 180 on G.T Roads. I used to participate in races. I have set records of driving from one place to another. YES, I WAS A FOOL. If I can change myself, definitely You can too. Its just that you need a WILL.

Last Point
    People always say that if you have 2.5 million car, then why to save money on fuel. People also say that why should one drive Civic so slow, Civic isn't meant for that. Well, its you who has to decide whether to behave maturely, and save your precious money, precious energy i.e. fuel, save lives of yours and others or do otherwise what others say. Decide yourself.

Happy & Safe Driving!

I am available for any type of Queries...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tashkeel View Post
    However, this also variates whether going from Islamabad to Lahore, Islamabad to Peshawar and vice-versa. There are various factors like winds, terrain etc. Average will be better when going from Islamabad to Lahore than moving back because you save a lot of fuel at Salt Ranges.
    I've a totally different experience. After travelling on M2 for the last 7-8 yrs regularly, I always got better mileage on my northbound travel that is from Lahore to Islamabad in City 2005 till 2011, City 2012 and now Vitz 2007 even with the fact that usually I drive a bit faster while going to Islmabad. The best I achieved was 24km/litre in my iDSI 2005 back in 2009/10 again going to Islamabad. I never achieved more than 22 km/litre in City 2012 or Vitz (Vitz best is 21.4km/litre I set on this Eid holidays) no matter how much I tried to break my own record of 24km/litre till now, especially going towards Lahore.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Very nice and informative thread Tashkeel bro... I can say that we can apply hyper-miling on any car even without cruise control. The most and basic thing is that if we want to be hyper-miler we have to change our driving habit means no harsh driving. Following are the facts we must have to consider (most of the points taken from your post Tashkeel bro)

1. Don't Rush
    2. Always Remain Calm
    5. Don't brake HARD
    6. Don't Accelerate while you are descending
    7. Proper checkups of oils and water
    8. Drive with flow of Traffic
    9. Tyre play an important role in saving fuel so keep 30 psi in all tires
    10. Proper checkup of Tires wear and tear and alignment
    11. Don't slide down the windows
    12. Always accelerate with light foot
    13. Always drive you car after engine warmup (if you drive your car with cold engine, it also effects of mileage, due to non circulation and storage of fuel and oils in pipes and hoses. After warmup all oils and fuels got good circulation)
    14. Always try to be car in Neutral if you are in waiting position (either red light or traffic jam etc)
    Toyota Cressida 1982 GL ... Mazda Cx-9 2009... Toyota Corolla 2007 XLI EXECUTIVE (SOLD)...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aakbar View Post
    I've a totally different experience. After travelling on M2 for the last 7-8 yrs regularly, I always got better mileage on my northbound travel that is from Lahore to Islamabad in City 2005 till 2011, City 2012 and now Vitz 2007 even with the fact that usually I drive a bit faster while going to Islmabad. The best I achieved was 24km/litre in my iDSI 2005 back in 2009/10 again going to Islamabad. I never achieved more than 22 km/litre in City 2012 or Vitz (Vitz best is 21.4km/litre I set on this Eid holidays) no matter how much I tried to break my own record of 24km/litre till now, especially going towards Lahore.
    You might be right. Let's keep recording the data and then we can conclude logically. I will observe it in my next trip Insha-Allah. By the way, nice stats on all the cars. Almost impossible to beat.

Sent from my A600 using Tapatalk 2

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by faisalayub View Post
    Very nice and informative thread Tashkeel bro... I can say that we can apply hyper-miling on any car even without cruise control. The most and basic thing is that if we want to be hyper-miler we have to change our driving habit means no harsh driving. Following are the facts we must have to consider (most of the points taken from your post Tashkeel bro)

1. Don't Rush
    2. Always Remain Calm
    5. Don't brake HARD
    6. Don't Accelerate while you are descending
    7. Proper checkups of oils and water
    8. Drive with flow of Traffic
    9. Tyre play an important role in saving fuel so keep 30 psi in all tires
    10. Proper checkup of Tires wear and tear and alignment
    11. Don't slide down the windows
    12. Always accelerate with light foot
    13. Always drive you car after engine warmup (if you drive your car with cold engine, it also effects of mileage, due to non circulation and storage of fuel and oils in pipes and hoses. After warmup all oils and fuels got good circulation)
    14. Always try to be car in Neutral if you are in waiting position (either red light or traffic jam etc)
    Very well explained Bhai... :-)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How to safe fuel through your Driving StyleHabits HyperMilling! -1287624
    Here is a pic of the best mileage I got from my City 2012 as per the Odometer showing 25.2km/litre southbound Islamabad to Lahore between Chakri and Balkasar interchange. By the time I reached Lahore, the Odometer reading went down to 21.5km/litre although there was downhill at Salt range.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I also observe these points 10% of time. No compromise on vehicle pick, though

Would add one thing, you can get better mileage if you follow another vehicle all the time, maintaining safe distance. That vehicle faces wind resistance, but your car, following that car, doesn't have to spend fuel to overcome that air resistance.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The title should be "How to SAVE fuel" Instead of "SAFE FUEL"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan4808 View Post
    The title should be "How to SAVE fuel" Instead of "SAFE FUEL"
    You are right brother. It was a mistake but sadly when I tried to change the error, I came to know that title cannot be changed...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by IsbCap View Post
    I also observe these points 10% of time. No compromise on vehicle pick, though

Would add one thing, you can get better mileage if you follow another vehicle all the time, maintaining safe distance. That vehicle faces wind resistance, but your car, following that car, doesn't have to spend fuel to overcome that air resistance.
    Yes brother, you are right. That's another debatable topic. I have been doing it a number of times but there are many other factors involved in it then...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aakbar View Post
    How to safe fuel through your Driving StyleHabits HyperMilling! -1287624
    Here is a pic of the best mileage I got from my City 2012 as per the Odometer showing 25.2km/litre southbound Islamabad to Lahore between Chakri and Balkasar interchange. By the time I reached Lahore, the Odometer reading went down to 21.5km/litre although there was downhill at Salt range.
    Hmmmm... I thought you got the average all the way till Lahore. You got 25 initially because of terrain but the more you start getting salt ranges, you have to cross more ups and downs. Initially I was also getting 22.5 in 9th Gen civic but after crossing, it dropped to 20.5 I guess...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Now this is the war between time and fuel. If the time is more costly for you then you can not save fuel but if you have a lot of extra time then it will be a great pleasure to save some bucks. But to control urself to drive 1.8 civic under 100 will be a great achievement. And you will be out of this world as Mehrans and cultus will be passing you with great feelings lol. You will be a super hero then having great nerves.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^Completely agreed, one chooses a 1.8 engine to achieve atleast ideal performance, a 1.3 2nz-fe is noisy at 120 so the R18A does the job.

Laikin agar 80 pe hi chalani hai then even cultus is a great car.

I usually travel on to Lahore and back to islamabad on the same day so there isn't much time to be the wise driver. My solution to the Hypermiling and modern fuel prices is Name:  ImageUploadedByPW Forums1382623140.742994.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  122.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums mobile app
    The future of Automobile...Mercedes-Benz S Class Saloon

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I never look up my driving style and re engage it all the time rather look on the road and there's hardly any time for the calmness usually, again it depends from person to person.

The only drawback in case of a hybrid is it doesn't do over 18 on the M2 because the battery isn't used, but then again my speed is 130-140 because the target is 3 hours max with stoppage time

The future of Automobile...Mercedes-Benz S Class Saloon

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by abdullah1 View Post
    ^Completely agreed, one chooses a 1.8 engine to achieve atleast ideal performance, a 1.3 2nz-fe is noisy at 120 so the R18A does the job.

Laikin agar 80 pe hi chalani hai then even cultus is a great car.

I usually travel on to Lahore and back to islamabad on the same day so there isn't much time to be the wise driver. My solution to the Hypermiling and modern fuel prices is Name:  ImageUploadedByPW Forums1382623140.742994.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  122.1 KB

Brother, I have already discussed that it depends upon priority. If civic is suitable for 120 then people should Mercedes and BMW for speeds higher than 150. You right in the view that if fuel has to be saved then one should keep city or Cultus etc. But they are not as comfortable as civic. And cultus even doesn't have a fuel efficient engine for long drive. The point is valid for motorway to drive at 120 but on other roads, one had to remain careful himself.
    And if we calculate the time one saves by driving fast, it comes to only few minutes or an hour at maximum for the trips having more than 500 kms. And this hour someday can cost either life or manner other things.
    Driving at 120 only on motorway is logical because motorway is meant for this. But driving at high speeds on any other road is not at all recommended. And by the way, I don't drive at 80 on motorway. ;-)
    To conclude Bhai, still I will say it depends upon priorities. As far as hybrids are concerned, I have my reservations and don't want to start a discussion which deviates us from the basic discussion.
    Happy driving Bhai...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ABHS View Post
    Now this is the war between time and fuel. If the time is more costly for you then you can not save fuel but if you have a lot of extra time then it will be a great pleasure to save some bucks. But to control urself to drive 1.8 civic under 100 will be a great achievement. And you will be out of this world as Mehrans and cultus will be passing you with great feelings lol. You will be a super hero then having great nerves.
    Quite right... Very well explained... If you control your nerve, you control the car, and if you don't, then the car controls you... ;-)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How to safe fuel through your Driving StyleHabits HyperMilling! -1288248im getting 700kms from a tank in Lahore city with ac .. with winters coming I think I might be able to get 50-70 kms more .. what most people don't understand is that one does not have to become an extreme hypermiler to achieve these kind of stats .. no one would like to alter their driving style upto an extent that would frustrate or bore them .. but with minor changes in driving habits you can actually do good for your own safety and your pocket .. I am no hardcore hypermiler by any stretch of imagination but I do enuff to balance it out ..I do like to pump my civic sometimes coz I boght manual by choice but other times I just want calm peace and a bit of music and there I don't have to unnecessarily accelerate or break ... I hope I ve conveyed my point ,, peace

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tashkeel View Post
    Hmmmm... I thought you got the average all the way till Lahore. You got 25 initially because of terrain but the more you start getting salt ranges, you have to cross more ups and downs. Initially I was also getting 22.5 in 9th Gen civic but after crossing, it dropped to 20.5 I guess...

Your mileage on Civic is very impressive no doubt.

However, my point was that that mileage is good till I hit the plains on southbound travel on M2. Its gets bad after we cross climb down the salt range. More strange is the fact that I get better mileage from Lahore to Islamabad. Mileage only dops during uphill climb at Salt range but it goes up immeidately after the climb is finished.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Does driving in neutral when the car has enough speed help? (floating in neutral)

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it
    Almost everyone in Pakistan is doing corruption to the extent they can. Our leaders are doing at the level they can do. So why should we complain?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

salam
    From above discussion it seems that Its a thread related to petrol saving
    let me share my CNG experience
    I have 2006 cuore in a good condition. Earlier (about 1~1.5 yrs. ago) I used to drive bit harsh/fast, but one day I read a thread on hyper milling on PW, since then I always try to drive maturely, coz it not only saves your fuel and money but also less wear and tear to your car.
    Few weeks ago I took my car to motorway (lahore to sukhekhi trip). My expectations were that my car will do max. about 170km in one cylinder (55 ltr or 7kg), but unbelievably it did 230km in one cylinder and it was WITH AC ON all the time.....
    but it was not due to my driving style only, but also due to following reasons:
    -engine was tuned and oil change done one week earlier.
    -filled CNG cylinder one night before parking, coz cylinder becomes very hot when you get CNG filled, and hot gas provides lower efficiency, so in morning cylinder is at normal temperature.
    -on trip day, chkd tire pressure, air pressure to air filter and engine compartment.
    -and refilled cylinder (only 150 rupee) just before entering motorway
    -kept my speed between 80~90 all the time during trip, and hyper milling techniques before stops or toll plazas (using inertia of car in neutral before stops)
    on return from trip when I was entering in my society, the meter was showing 230kms and cng just turned to red dot.
    and remember, I always go for standard kgs of gas for filling, I never say "full ker do" , based on my own assumptions, I ask CNG wala to fill gas. (55ltr. cylinder takes 7kg gas at 200 bar pressure) coz many times, pressure is more than 200bar, which is not acceptable for me atleast.
    Allah ka shuker hai Jis ny mjy iss neamet (my car) say nwaza .
    Leave sooner, drive slower, live longer

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zia1288 View Post
    Does driving in neutral when the car has enough speed help? (floating in neutral)

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it
    yes definitely, coz throttle is not pressed, so no fuel injection to engine (fuel consumption at that time is only that of what it is at idle engine start position), but you are covering the distance, so more kms on your meter, with lesser fuel consumed.
    so always perform this technique before red signals, coming down from flyovers or when there is a stop or a slower traffic ahead of you at distance.
    Leave sooner, drive slower, live longer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

User Tag List