Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: How to save fuel through your driving style/habits (Hypermiling)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default How to save fuel through your driving style/habits (Hypermiling)

I have been posting my fuel statistics on Civic 9th Generation forum. The focus from Civic diverted from its features to some other topic. That's why I decided to make a separate thread for the same purpose. I shall be explaining the methods and ways for increasing the fuel efficiency of Civic 9th Generation.

First of all, I shall explain what actually is Hyper-Milling?
    Definition: It is a method of increasing your car's gas mileage by making skillful changes in the way you drive, allowing you to save gas and thereby have an easier time withstanding the rising oil and gas prices.

Basics of Hyper-Milling
    1. Don't Rush
    2. Always Remain Calm
    3. Don't push accelerator HARD
    4. Always anticipate ahead
    5. Don't brake HARD
    6. Drive with flow of Traffic

Techniques of Saving Fuel on 9th Gen Prosmatic
    1. Motorway
    I shall be mentioning the speed limits and mileage you will get against each on Motorway. However, this also variates whether going from Islamabad to Lahore, Islamabad to Peshawar and vice-versa. There are various factors like winds, terrain etc. Average will be better when going from Islamabad to Lahore than moving back because you save a lot of fuel at Salt Ranges.
    Less than 70 kmpl - The average will more or less remain same or will get bad at very slow speeds.
    70 km/hr - 22.5 kmpl
    80 km/hr - 21.5 kmpl
    90 km/hr - 20.5 kmpl
    100 km/hr - 19 kmpl
    110 km/hr - 17 kmpl
    120 km/hr - 15 kmpl
    130 km/hr - 14 kmpl
    140 km/hr - 13 kmpl
    150 km/hr - 11.5 kmpl
    These are my calculated averages so there may be variation at different locations at different conditions.

2. G.T. Road
    The driving at GT Roads is a bit tricky. I try to maintain 80 or I drive with the flow of traffic. Here is a thumb rule. Always Anticipate. Neither accelerate hard nor brake hard. Whenever you see any slow traffic, leave accelerator from far distance instead of going very close and then braking hard. It wastes a lot of fuel. Whenever you see clear road, always take use of Cruise Control.

3. Express Highway, Islamabad
    Thumb Rule; Always drive between 60-80 with Cruise Control. And feel the difference in average.

General Points
    1. Drive your vehicle on Econ Mode.
    2. Set the temperature on auto and select the temperature which is reasonable
    3. Always make use of Cruise Control
    4. Tyre play an important role in saving fuel so keep 30 psi in all tires. Whenever you fill the air in any Tyre, ask the person to check all tires because you will always find difference in every other gauge. The reason is that gauges here are never collaborated.
    5. Don't slide down the windows. Instead of saving fuel, they decrease the fuel efficiency.
    6. The maximum fuel one can save is during acceleration. Always accelerate with light foot. Initially it will irritate you. Once you get used to it, you will start enjoying your driving.

Benefits of Hyper-Milling
    1. You save fuel
    2. Obviously you save money
    3. You drive safe
    4. You feel relaxed
    5. You don't get stressed
    6. You feel relaxed and enjoy your drive

Can you become a Hyper-Miller?
    Obviously YES. I used to be a rashhhhhh driver. I used to drive my accord at 180 on G.T Roads. I used to participate in races. I have set records of driving from one place to another. YES, I WAS A FOOL. If I can change myself, definitely You can too. Its just that you need a WILL.

Last Point
    People always say that if you have 2.5 million car, then why to save money on fuel. People also say that why should one drive Civic so slow, Civic isn't meant for that. Well, its you who has to decide whether to behave maturely, and save your precious money, precious energy i.e. fuel, save lives of yours and others or do otherwise what others say. Decide yourself.

Happy & Safe Driving!

I am available for any type of Queries...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ tashkeel That are some great fuel averages on a civic!

i have city 2012 and have never been able to achieve more than 19.3km/l. I travel about once a month between sadiqabad and islamabad (round trip of about 1850km).
    im not really a hyper miler but try to maintain my car's momentum and speed; i accelerate moderately-high when overtaking a slower vehicle (i hate ppl who slowly overtake a slow moving truck because they break the whole momentum of the cars behind), use gear braking along with low brake pressure and shift gears so the car remains in the 2000rpm ~ 3000rpm bracket

Here are a couple of fuel avg figures (with 100% ac with full thermostat at fan speed 1-2) that i remember based on actual fuel consumed vs distance covered (not the trip avg show by the car as in my case it always shows about 5-6% better fuel average):

LHR-ISB motorway, avg speed 150+km/hr, fuel avg: 12.3 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15
    LHR-ISB motorway, avg speed 140km/hr, fuel avg: 13.5 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15
    LHR-ISB motorway, avg speed 130km/hr, fuel avg: 14.4 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15
    LHR-ISB motorway, avg speed 120km/hr, fuel avg: 15.5 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15
    LHR-ISB motorway, avg speed 110km/hr, fuel avg: 16.7 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15
    LHR-ISB motorway, avg speed 100km/hr, fuel avg: 18.1 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15

SDQ-LHR KLP road, LHR-ISB GT road (total distance: 910km), avg speed 80km/hr*, target speed 110 km/hr** fuel avg: 18.2 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15
    SDQ-LHR KLP road, LHR-ISB GT road (total distance: 910km), avg speed 90km/hr*, target speed 110 km/hr** fuel avg: 18.4 km/l, tires: michelin energy saver 195/65/r15
    SDQ-LHR KLP road, LHR-ISB GT road (total distance: 910km), avg speed 75km/hr*, target speed 100 km/hr** fuel avg: 19.3 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15

Some other factors besides driving habits that effect fuel economy based on my experience:
    On avg the dunlop tires gave about 0.8 km/l better fuel economy than the michelin (185mm wide tires vs 195mm tires)
    Fuel quality (fuel station, time of refuling, amount of fuel refulled etc.) also effects fuel economy (can be as high as 1.7 km/l)
    continuous use of a/c decreases fuel economy by about 1.3 km/l
    Car maintenance performed recently (air, fuel filter cleaned/ replaced, lube oil replaced)
    road condition more bumpy = less fuel economy
    and traffic density

*avg speed here is the avg for whole trip (i.e. total distance divided by total time taken)
    ** target speed is the constant speed that i want to maintain

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nomidangerous View Post
    @ tashkeel That are some great fuel averages on a civic!

i have city 2012 and have never been able to achieve more than 19.3km/l. I travel about once a month between sadiqabad and islamabad (round trip of about 1850km).
    im not really a hyper miler but try to maintain my car's momentum and speed; i accelerate moderately-high when overtaking a slower vehicle (i hate ppl who slowly overtake a slow moving truck because they break the whole momentum of the cars behind), use gear braking along with low brake pressure and shift gears so the car remains in the 2000rpm ~ 3000rpm bracket

Here are a couple of fuel avg figures (with 100% ac with full thermostat at fan speed 1-2) that i remember based on actual fuel consumed vs distance covered (not the trip avg show by the car as in my case it always shows about 5-6% better fuel average):

LHR-ISB motorway, avg speed 150+km/hr, fuel avg: 12.3 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15
    LHR-ISB motorway, avg speed 140km/hr, fuel avg: 13.5 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15
    LHR-ISB motorway, avg speed 130km/hr, fuel avg: 14.4 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15
    LHR-ISB motorway, avg speed 120km/hr, fuel avg: 15.5 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15
    LHR-ISB motorway, avg speed 110km/hr, fuel avg: 16.7 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15
    LHR-ISB motorway, avg speed 100km/hr, fuel avg: 18.1 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15

SDQ-LHR KLP road, LHR-ISB GT road (total distance: 910km), avg speed 80km/hr*, target speed 110 km/hr** fuel avg: 18.2 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15
    SDQ-LHR KLP road, LHR-ISB GT road (total distance: 910km), avg speed 90km/hr*, target speed 110 km/hr** fuel avg: 18.4 km/l, tires: michelin energy saver 195/65/r15
    SDQ-LHR KLP road, LHR-ISB GT road (total distance: 910km), avg speed 75km/hr*, target speed 100 km/hr** fuel avg: 19.3 km/l, tires: dunlop sp300 185/65/r15

Some other factors besides driving habits that effect fuel economy based on my experience:
    On avg the dunlop tires gave about 0.8 km/l better fuel economy than the michelin (185mm wide tires vs 195mm tires)
    Fuel quality (fuel station, time of refuling, amount of fuel refulled etc.) also effects fuel economy (can be as high as 1.7 km/l)
    continuous use of a/c decreases fuel economy by about 1.3 km/l
    Car maintenance performed recently (air, fuel filter cleaned/ replaced, lube oil replaced)
    road condition more bumpy = less fuel economy
    and traffic density

*avg speed here is the avg for whole trip (i.e. total distance divided by total time taken)
    ** target speed is the constant speed that i want to maintain
    Brother, Very well explained that too in detail...
    There are two things in latest civic which have an edge over latest city and those are:-
    1. Cruise Control
    2. Combination of Auto Climate and Eco Mode

Rest, city has an edge because it has a smaller engine which eats less fuel while accelerating...

Sent from my A600 using Tapatalk 2

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tashkeel View Post
    Brother, I have already discussed that it depends upon priority. If civic is suitable for 120 then people should Mercedes and BMW for speeds higher than 150. You right in the view that if fuel has to be saved then one should keep city or Cultus etc. But they are not as comfortable as civic. And cultus even doesn't have a fuel efficient engine for long drive. The point is valid for motorway to drive at 120 but on other roads, one had to remain careful himself.
    And if we calculate the time one saves by driving fast, it comes to only few minutes or an hour at maximum for the trips having more than 500 kms. And this hour someday can cost either life or manner other things.
    Driving at 120 only on motorway is logical because motorway is meant for this. But driving at high speeds on any other road is not at all recommended. And by the way, I don't drive at 80 on motorway. ;-)
    To conclude Bhai, still I will say it depends upon priorities. As far as hybrids are concerned, I have my reservations and don't want to start a discussion which deviates us from the basic discussion.
    Happy driving Bhai...

At the end of the day it's about personal opinion and choice.

I went to get a oriel prosmatec in white the day it was launched, the car is the best PKDM car produced without a doubt.

But fuel economy and honda civic never go together atleast from my experience I have civics since 86 .

This new model however is being appreciated for fuel efficiency I had my reservations in hybrid cars too imported some units to resale then saw my money's worth and decided to keep one, cancelled that very new shape civic.

Now a 1.8 is on the way let's see how that car performs, civic vs new Prius is a common discussion these days; interestingly everyone having owned or used a Prius never goes back to the civic, the new comers never take the risk and prefer the oriel

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums mobile app
    The future of Automobile...Mercedes-Benz S Class Saloon

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by abdullah1 View Post
    At the end of the day it's about personal opinion and choice.

I went to get a oriel prosmatec in white the day it was launched, the car is the best PKDM car produced without a doubt.

But fuel economy and honda civic never go together atleast from my experience I have civics since 86 .

This new model however is being appreciated for fuel efficiency I had my reservations in hybrid cars too imported some units to resale then saw my money's worth and decided to keep one, cancelled that very new shape civic.

Now a 1.8 is on the way let's see how that car performs, civic vs new Prius is a common discussion these days; interestingly everyone having owned or used a Prius never goes back to the civic, the new comers never take the risk and prefer the oriel

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums mobile app
    Yes Bhai, it's personal opinion and choice. :-)

I am, however, not convinced about your experience regarding fuel efficiency and Honda. I think honda have much advanced engines than Toyota being installed in pkdm.

Rest hybrid is hybrid and normal cars can never match their performance. But for that, it's your luck if find a good car or bad one. People like us can not take risk. ;-)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Never was able to get more than 14km/l on manual civic reborn
    Aunda Fan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mubeenshahid View Post
    Never was able to get more than 14km/l on manual civic reborn
    Reborn isn't fuel efficient Mobeen Bhai...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tashkeel View Post
    Reborn isn't fuel efficient Mobeen Bhai...

Still a manual should do more.WIth AC this mileage drops to 10-11km/l
    Aunda Fan

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How come it is 20.7 while the car speed is zero

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by azyy View Post
    How come it is 20.7 while the car speed is zero
    Sir, this is total average the car has traveled...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great post Tashkeel Bahi !

Come to think about it these things are not impossible to follow, it just needs a bit of a common sense. I mean when you see other cars stopping for a red light, then what is the point of rushing to get to the signal then brake hard ? You can just coast, and hopefully by the time you get there the signal will be green
    If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zeeshan.javed.108 View Post
    Great post Tashkeel Bahi !

Come to think about it these things are not impossible to follow, it just needs a bit of a common sense. I mean when you see other cars stopping for a red light, then what is the point of rushing to get to the signal then brake hard ? You can just coast, and hopefully by the time you get there the signal will be green
    Thank you Zeeshan Bhai...

You have got the point... ;-)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

These figures are for manual transmission, i suppose?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My experience with Civic 2013 Prosmatic is that keep rpm under control and less than 2000 in gears 1-3, then keep it around 1700 for gears 4-5. You will get good mileage.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by shabbir233 View Post
    These figures are for manual transmission, i suppose?
    These are for prosmatic Bhai...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by shabbir233 View Post
    My experience with Civic 2013 Prosmatic is that keep rpm under control and less than 2000 in gears 1-3, then keep it around 1700 for gears 4-5. You will get good mileage.
    Quite right...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

my new vitz giving 10 in city

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mubashirbukhari View Post
    my new vitz giving 10 in city
    You can get it checked if you are driving it with light foot already.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the techniques you have posted to save fuel for 9th gen civic can be applied to other cars ? btw nice info, I like it.
    The men are back. @TGT.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

my probox gives me 715+km in a whole tank, what's the average of this?
    The men are back. @TGT.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice information. Driving slow is safe as well as one can also save few extra bucks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

User Tag List