Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Custom Tires vs Stock Tires

Hi All,
    I wanted to get an opinion abt Stock Tires. Do you ppl think its necessary to replace stock tires and put custom tires and rims cause as far as i think the stock tires are no good. Like in Civic Exi and All new corollas the tires are very hard and no good and secondly the rim size is always lower than a good size i.e 14" where is shud be 15" or 16"...wht makes the manufactuers do that, or these stock tires/rims would give optimal performance?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

mr whyty i think you answered your own question if you read it again
    Bees waal 4 life

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well for sure, i think so, but that wht i wana ask, do ppl out there have the same opinion. is it the cost saving these manufactueres are doing or wht?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the tires and rims the manufacturer gives is for the best fuel efficiency n a comfortable ride. Corolla gives 14" rims for comfortable ride, whereas if u put 15 or 16" rims, u r gonna get a more rigid ride (i.e u r really gonna feel it over the road bumps) n therefore u can mess up ur rims. Bigger rims will also give u less fuel economy. There is one advantage that bigger rims do have. They have waaay n i mean waaaayy better looks then stock rims.
    "Too many people in this world spend money that they didn't earn, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like"....Will Smith

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As 24spins said,
    Stock rims/tyres are there for best fuel economy, good ride comfort and average performance.

YOu have to remember that if you increase the rim size you will decrease the tire wall size, so when you will be increasing the grip, performance and looks of the car you will be decreasing the fuel economy, ride comfort, and tyre life.

And yess it saves car manufacturers alot of money too by using average products.
    http://www.extnix.com.au

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hello!!
    as in 1 year there is a huge difference come in automobile industry as theere are pressure from government to decrease prices so they decreses not soo much but with that they also decrease things like that......stock tires in new cars are of very low quality now days so u can change it with new ones but don't change the size of it so that u can get difference in fuel average and even u put load on shafts....so be with company size...no go for big ones....
    Thanxxxx

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I will attempt to add to this discussion by saying that...the manufacturers are not trying to save any money by putting the wheel/tire combination that they do. Milions are spent just on research to determine the optimal combination for all cars every year.

The stock tires put in cars (i will only single out toyota and honda) in Pakistan may not the best in quality but that doesnt mean that they are useless. You can get the same spec tire/wheel combination in a better brand..you will get the looks and the performance too.

I drive a 99 EX Civic in toronto which came with stock 185/65R14 Firestone tires. After 45K, i have just replaced them with Pirelli P3000 all season in exactly teh same specs. I never had any problem with Firestone except just before changing when they were slipping in snow.

So bottom line...keep your stock tires/wheels but if you must change..follow the recommended "INCH-UP" instructions available with most tire companies on the net. Like if you move up from 185/65R14...the next step is 195/60R15 or maybe a lower profile with 195/55R15. THE KEY IS..AND ALWAYS REMEMBER...THE ROLLING DIAMETER OF THE TIRE SHOULD NEVER CHANGE.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it..and so restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Fine but what about going with a bigger wheel size and low profile (shorter side wall), tire.
    Not sure about the performance but i guess looks are killing.

I just have a feeling that if the wheels that u put in are quality wheels (made up of light weight aluminum instead of heavy alloy which consists most iron as u can see mostly available in pakistan) you can still maintain the fuel efficieny and your looks can go well beyound the normal looks.

your suggestion and recommendation please:

Im thinking to put in 205/45 on R17 for 2005 Civic Exi Prosmatic. Or is it too much to go for?

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List