Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Price Check - (W140) 1995 Mercedes Benz S320 Petrol, Black, ISB Reg.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Price Check - (W140) 1995 Mercedes Benz S320 Petrol, Black, ISB Reg.

Hey guys,

I hope you all are doing good. I wanted to inquire about the price of a (W140) 1995 Mercedes Benz S320 Petrol in black.
    Details as follows....

1. Islamabad registered.
    2. Black color, no piece painted. Few touch-ups with "qalam".
    3. 3.2L, inline 6 cylinder petrol engine.
    4. Long wheel base version (LWB).
    5. Its in great condition.
    6. No sunroof, no parking sensors, no headlight washers.
    7. Standard 16inch alloys.
    8. Has powered seats etc....
    9. 90,000KMs driven, original mileage.

Its a great car and its in great condition.
    What should be the price of such a car considering the given details?
    I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thank you!

@Haroon_Tarar, @capsat, @CerwinVega
    The hardest part about moving forward is not looking back.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear such old mercs have no fixed market price and completely depends on buyer buyer demand and seller willingness to buy ... But I have seen an outclass 2000 model s320 full option in 19 lacs so this car should not be above 15lac
    " Gravity is not responsible for people falling in Love "

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CerwinVega View Post
    Dear such old mercs have no fixed market price and completely depends on buyer buyer demand and seller willingness to buy ... But I have seen an outclass 2000 model s320 full option in 19 lacs so this car should not be above 15lac
    So the maximum I should pay for this car is 15lakhs? The car is in mint condition though. Only the driver's seat is a bit worn other than that, the whole car is in good nick.

What do you say @Haroon_Tarar, @capsat?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Does it have complete shahnawaz maintenance history ? If yes then its certainly not worth 15 but more like 25/or what ever owner is willing to give it away for because such cars are rare now a days
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    Does it have complete shahnawaz maintenance history ? If yes then its certainly not worth 15 but more like 25/or what ever owner is willing to give it away for because such cars are rare now a days
    I haven't asked about the Shahnawaz history, will do though. I am going to check it again thoroughly tomorrow, most probably. I did check one time but that was just a 'run-through'. One thing that bothers me is that such old cars don't usually come with Shahnawaz history, its rare from what I've seen. I'll have to check that.
    If it doesn't have Shahnawaz history, what should be its price then? @Xulfiqar, what things should I pay attention to while checking the car?

I would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by akramsalman.164 View Post
    Hey guys,

I hope you all are doing good. I wanted to inquire about the price of a (W140) 1995 Mercedes Benz S320 Petrol in black.
    Details as follows....

1. Islamabad registered.
    2. Black color, no piece painted. Few touch-ups with "qalam".
    3. 3.2L, inline 6 cylinder petrol engine.
    4. Long wheel base version (LWB).
    5. Its in great condition.
    6. No sunroof, no parking sensors, no headlight washers.
    7. Standard 16inch alloys.
    8. Has powered seats etc....
    9. 90,000KMs driven, original mileage.

Its a great car and its in great condition.
    What should be the price of such a car considering the given details?
    I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thank you!

@Haroon_Tarar, @capsat, @CerwinVega
    2 mil, give or take 2 lacs. a decent S500 is 23 plus miinus 2

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Anyone else????
    Need more opinions

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Right,

you really need to investigate such a car in great detail.

These cars do not drive nice unless everything is working properly.

Go purely on condition and visual look underneath, ball joint checks, dampers checked, everything underneath. Get the engine checked (easy) and make sure everything is working.

It does'nt matter who serviced it. It needs to be PROPER and there are checks that you can do yourself.

If the service history is there + it's passing all the checks and it's a proper minter then it's worth 25k as the above poster mentioned.

When we buy high performance classics in the UK (E34 M5's, E39 M5's, E28 M5's, W124 500E's) we do not care for the service history. It's nice paperwork but it all depends on how good the car is.

Special cars like this can be bought cheap and totally transformed into a brand new driving car. Having driven both the S600 V12 W140 and an S320 I can tell you, nothing this side of 2005 is going to touch it for the grand scale it delivers.

If you buy a worn one with lots needed... err.... financial suicide.

I have been bitten by the 'perfect service history bug' and got stung hard before.

There's another real slick one for sale at 20k. It's got the AMG kit and the AMG bodykit.

Ideally my friend you need a proper experienced W140 engineer or someone who understand these cars to go with you.

Mechanic opening hood and revving engine from cold to check for engine health must be avoided.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Can I ask where exactly are you going to drive a W140? The thing is too big for Lahore DHA roads.

Considered W124 320 or 300E-24? I have these back in the UK and they are no slouches and extremely nice to travel in. Much better suited and way cheaper to repair no matter what breaks.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

please check if the car is a USED UK import / embassy auction or from auction by Pakistan Foreign office, Islamabad.

Review the papers as if you are reviewing your a exam answer sheet take your time, do not make a decision in haste if at all you are hell bent to buy the HATHI [ in terms of local traffic conditions where every 4th car is a hatch and every 2nd vehicle is a 2 wheeler ]

unless car have a complete maintenance history from Shahnawaz Islamabad, its bit difficult to throw dice on blank specially when it is S & E class.

If you are sure of your observations - 1.3 mil is best bet provided the vehicle is good to handle mechanically and shell has no metal beating. - visit the car between 11 am to 3 pm in bright day light, take a test drive rev hard and notice any anomaly in transmission shift, & cornering.

in Karachi at Khalid bin walid road few show rooms have S 320 1995 ranging between 900,000 to 1500000 -
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

this car is plagued with the crumbling wiring harness problem too, the engine wiring loom actually delaminates and exposes all copper wires, the remedy is to completely rebuild the wiring with new stuff.

Please remember that a W140 is like 3 corollas packed into one, there is an insane amount of parts in the car and all work in beautiful harmony to give that road going yacht feel that this car is famous for.

also remember that this car is old, its a senior citizen now and will have some oddball issues popping up (e.g. steering gear issues, control arm bushing issues, SLS issues. All are repairable if your technician/mechanic is worth his salt and knows how to and is equipped to service these cars (lots of oddball tools)

the M104 engine is extremely smooth but has some problems - one being the headgasket - its not a design failure but plain physics, the head is aluminium and the block is iron - both expand at different rates and the sacrficial item is the headgasket, the failure is usually external leakage or oil in the coolant. - Its almost a recurring repair job every 130,000 kms on these engines. - Make sure the engine is cooled with good quality coolant - otherwise you are looking at expenses of heater valve replacement, heater pump and core replacement too (for removal of core read the next para)

These cars are equipped with dissimilar metal AC evaporators from the factory, they fail due to the same reasons as above, make sure your mechanic knows what he's getting into - removing the dashboard to extract the evaporator takes 8 hours of constant work. The replacement item is all aluminium construction. (good forever)

At this age I can assure you that being in Pakistan this car was obviously one of the "bass aail chenj karte hain - mashAllah baree mazboot gaadi hai" - this literally translates as - All I care is that there is a 3 pointed star on the bonnet and every car drives like a beat up suzuki mehran - this is no different.

reason for above post is - the undercarriage rubber parts would be rotting/shot/torn because "mazboot gaadi syndrome" - make sure you check everything before signing the sale reciept.

the early 722.6 gearbox (which this car would have) - had 2 updates to the TCU which desensitizes the TCU in regards to throwing speed sensor faults, official Shahnawaz imports would have these updates. This gearbox has 2 more issues which show up after quite a while in service and after being super neglected. One is easy to repair - its just a few springs and valves in the valve body, the other is a bit ugly - its the front planetary gear set.

If you hear a metallic racket type noise while moving off in D - the gearbox is going to be toast in a few thousand or a few hundred kms. There are repalcement bushings now available which solve this only if its caught early, putting it off for later (breakdown repair) means that you will need a whole new gearbox as the chewed up planetary set will disperse ground up metal into the gearbox.

Do not assume that a replacement gearbox is easy on this car - if you do choose to replace it make absolutely damn sure the entire model number of the replacement gearbox matches your original. otherwise you will need more parts to make this work - because there are a lot of variations of this gearbox.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hahaha what an excellent feedback and all realistic ....
    " Gravity is not responsible for people falling in Love "

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

One more thing.

Once your car is sorted to "factory service level" - there is nothing produced till today that can beat the ride quality and driving experience of a W140 chassis mercedes benz.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    please check if the car is a USED UK import / embassy auction or from auction by Pakistan Foreign office, Islamabad.

Review the papers as if you are reviewing your a exam answer sheet take your time, do not make a decision in haste if at all you are hell bent to buy the HATHI [ in terms of local traffic conditions where every 4th car is a hatch and every 2nd vehicle is a 2 wheeler ]

unless car have a complete maintenance history from Shahnawaz Islamabad, its bit difficult to throw dice on blank specially when it is S & E class.

If you are sure of your observations - 1.3 mil is best bet provided the vehicle is good to handle mechanically and shell has no metal beating. - visit the car between 11 am to 3 pm in bright day light, take a test drive rev hard and notice any anomaly in transmission shift, & cornering.

in Karachi at Khalid bin walid road few show rooms have S 320 1995 ranging between 900,000 to 1500000 -
    W140, for a mil? I need to pop by Karachi, here w126 are for those prices

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

use Google - " Mercedes s320 1995 " 3 cars will pop for under 1 millon at Gojranwala Sargodha & Lahore. carmudi portal have S320 1995 as well too

like xulfiqar said it is a road Yatch and not anyone can manage to maintain it to SPECS.. & like i said focus on mechanicals not on shell
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    use Google - " Mercedes s320 1995 " 3 cars will pop for under 1 millon at Gojranwala Sargodha & Lahore. carmudi portal have S320 1995 as well too

like xulfiqar said it is a road Yatch and not anyone can manage to maintain it to SPECS.. & like i said focus on mechanicals not on shell
    Instead of buying a factory spec one for 25 lacs. If one buys a reasonable condition one which has had oil change done for a mil. Won't I be able to return it to factory settings in say 5-7 lacs?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dayrider View Post
    Instead of buying a factory spec one for 25 lacs. If one buys a reasonable condition one which has had oil change done for a mil. Won't I be able to return it to factory settings in say 5-7 lacs?
    depends on the car and depends on how equipped you are to service it. It has some very oddball wiring systems. prices of items can be low or high depending on what is bad and what is not.

e.g. if your gearbox is OK and not making a nut/bolts in blender noise then a rebuild job can cost you under 1000 dollars in Pakistan, if you need hard parts for it because its toast then that is easily doubled. (make sure your rebuilder can redo MB electronic automatics)

other bits like rear SLS (self levelling) can be easy and can be damned expensive depending on how bad it is. e.g. the levelling valve and spheres are not bad to price out, the lifting rams are heart attack material. (they can be redone if you are technically savvy and know what to look for in redoing - dont expect it to be a chrome paalish job, its a hard chrome and machining job - expect a rechrome and rework for about 20K rupees if you can locate someone, new lifting rams are about 700 euro a piece.

The steering gearbox maybe worn or sloppy, there is no rebuild kit sold for these cars in RHD form, there are some bespoke places in industrial complexes in UK who redo such steering gearboxes like this car or a Rover P5 etc etc. (rare classic stuff) - retailers and etailers usually have the LHD version of it available. - Dont expect it to be cheap, even a rebuilt one for a W124 costs USD 400/- in USA. - installation extra.

if your repair experience is only opening your wallet and you need assistance in identifying XZN and torx sockets then dont buy such car in Pakistan - you will burn all your money.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

to source fresh parts & transport to your location and ...... a person with skill to correctly replace / adjust to specs, Please feel free to use your money as your wisdom guide

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And what are the opinions on a decent w126, is that this complicated as well?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And what are the opinions on a decent w126, is that this complicated as well?
    W126 is ancient technology, its a mix of W116 and W123 design, pretty simple dead bolts car but its fuel injection system is very very unique (if you buy it with petrol engine). I do know that shahnawaz ltd had the test bench for the KE-jetronic system but that is now decommissioned, so if you need service/repairs help in this matter you should buy the bosch K jetronic books and get to know how it works. Otherwise you will be tossed around like a tennis ball at mechanics.

otherwise its a purely mechanical machine and drives nice too, some parts in it are unique - but not too bad. Its also some magnitudes simpler than a W140. - similarly as with other mercedes in Pakistan - dont buy it from a "marsdeez baree mazboot gaadi hai, sirf ail chenj kya hai saari zindagi"

if you are buying a W126 and thinking of toyotafying it then might as well dont buy it, get a toyota celsior or crown - its already cut for your pallate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List