Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Living with a high-end European Car in Lahore. Worth it?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Living with a high-end European Car in Lahore. Worth it?

I've been living in US for a while now and doing very well (Alhamduliliah). Recently, I've been thinking about buying a nice European car for my dad - he's always had a thing for BMW, Merc and Audis. Looking at the Audi A3, it looks very appealing, because of the price-point, styling, features included in the price of the car. The other option I'm considering is importing a used BMW from UK - as the new ones are really expensive.

I did have a few concerns that'll I'll really appreciate others opinion on. Assuming we decide to get an Audi A3...

- My parents live in DHA Lahore. Is it safe to own such a car in that area? Car snatchings are pretty uncommon in Lahore. I'm still worried if having such a car would get unwanted attention and result in more trouble than is worth it? Typically, I've noticed that the people who own these cars have a bodyguard as well. We do have a servant family that has been with us for almost a decade now and we trust them very much, however, they obviously don't have the presence of a bodyguard with a gun.

- Traffic situation in Pakistan is pretty bad, especially the motorcycle guys who don't brake in time and ram into the bumper. Actually happened to our brand new civic on the 2nd day :l Now civic can be easily repaired by any 'mistry' but its going to be very costly for a car like Audi. In your experience, do other people keep distance from expensive cars or are they fair game in Lahori traffic?

- How's the resale values on these, especially Audi A3. I've noticed that quite a few of these were sold on pakwheels with very low mileage. Is there any reason for it? Did those guys get too much unwanted attention and decided to just get two civics instead

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

euro cars do attract attention ,esp at ATMs . i know a friend who had a 7 series , he was robbed by THE POLICE at a DHA atm .

people even get '' parchees "

i will not talk about the high consumables cost since if you can afford a 7 million vehicle, you can afford its bread.

better option is to get the new camry hybrid. japa cars now offer the same luxury and gimmicks .

forger resale value , you would be lucky to even find customers for AUDIs in the first place

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Don't keep it as the primary car. Otherwise youre good to go. Get something with warranty, Audi is pretty good and getting quite common in lahore.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pistonhead View Post
    Don't keep it as the primary car. Otherwise youre good to go. Get something with warranty, Audi is pretty good and getting quite common in lahore.
    Yea, it wont be for everyday use. Mostly for weekends etc. Looking at the other comment, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to wait another year, hopefully by then there'll be more Audi's on road.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by blueazure View Post
    euro cars do attract attention ,esp at ATMs . i know a friend who had a 7 series , he was robbed by THE POLICE at a DHA atm .

i will not talk about the high consumables cost since if you can afford a 7 million vehicle, you can afford its bread.

better option is to get the new camry hybrid. japa cars now offer the same luxury and gimmicks .

forger resale value , you would be lucky to even find customers for AUDIs in the first place
    wow...didn't know parchi thing was going on in Lahore as well.

Few A3s that I saw listed (even sold) on pakwheels were listed close to MSRP. Even if they were less than a year old, that's not bad. I guess, if one was really determined to sell their cars, they can price it couple of lakhs lower than market value and hopefully get it sold quickly.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So parchees has been introduced in lhr as well

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeejay View Post
    I've been living in US for a while now and doing very well (Alhamduliliah). Recently, I've been thinking about buying a nice European car for my dad - he's always had a thing for BMW, Merc and Audis. Looking at the Audi A3, it looks very appealing, because of the price-point, styling, features included in the price of the car. The other option I'm considering is importing a used BMW from UK - as the new ones are really expensive.

I did have a few concerns that'll I'll really appreciate others opinion on. Assuming we decide to get an Audi A3...

- My parents live in DHA Lahore. Is it safe to own such a car in that area? Car snatchings are pretty uncommon in Lahore. I'm still worried if having such a car would get unwanted attention and result in more trouble than is worth it? Typically, I've noticed that the people who own these cars have a bodyguard as well. We do have a servant family that has been with us for almost a decade now and we trust them very much, however, they obviously don't have the presence of a bodyguard with a gun.

- Traffic situation in Pakistan is pretty bad, especially the motorcycle guys who don't brake in time and ram into the bumper. Actually happened to our brand new civic on the 2nd day :l Now civic can be easily repaired by any 'mistry' but its going to be very costly for a car like Audi. In your experience, do other people keep distance from expensive cars or are they fair game in Lahori traffic?

- How's the resale values on these, especially Audi A3. I've noticed that quite a few of these were sold on pakwheels with very low mileage. Is there any reason for it? Did those guys get too much unwanted attention and decided to just get two civics instead
    Lets see, attention catching?... Audi, always will. Security hazard?... Well depends on how one uses it, if you use it to bloat and showboat, it might, if you just occassionally use it and keep it under covers otherwise, it won't cause problems. It actually all in the way you carry yourself, and ofcourse rumours.

As for maintenance and resale, the higher the vehicle is priced, the harder it falls, so if say you buy an A3 for 45, 6 months later, 40. if you buy a civic for 26, 6 months later, 25. Maintenance won't be too much of a worry as it would be new. Till where accidents are concerned, keep the vehicle insured and you are good to go.

Here is an important question, how old is your father, how enthusiastic and how good a driver is he?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dayrider View Post
    Here is an important question, how old is your father, how enthusiastic and how good a driver is he?
    He's in his early 60s, he has always been a fan of nice cars, drives very well and likes to take care of his cars too...obviously that doesn't mean he's into big alloy wheels, woofers and such :p

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

He's in his early 60s, he has always been a fan of nice cars, drives very well and likes to take care of his cars too...obviously that doesn't mean he's into big alloy wheels, woofers and such :p
    An A3 will surely serve him well. It has good economy, decent power and ride height too. The only drawback is the rear leg space. Get him one, and let him enjoy. Don't be too worried about security, when something has to happen, the probability of it happening to a person in a civic and that in a rolls Royce is the same.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bro i live in Lahore on Raiwind Road (Thokar Niaz Baig). We have hell of big houses near our house and high end Cars are very common in our area.... Merc, BMW, Porsche, Cruisers, AUDI etc.... even AUDI Service Center is just a km away from my house.... My area do not have as much security as DHA..... i dont think there should be any problem.....
    Sent from my own Desktop Computer using my own Keyboard !!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

security problem is the same for all car owners be it civic or audi...although corollas top the list currently imotraffic situation is okay on this side of ferozepur road (gulberg, dha etc.)...just tell ur father not go beyond the wall (johar town, iqbal town etc.)resale is a problem but as for ur question tht ppl are selling slightly used audis tht happens after a few oil changes mostly when they realize its expensive to maintain
    The Flag is the Embodiment, not of Sentiment, but of History.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If you can afford to maintain the cars like BMW, Mercedes and Audi, then go for it, the security is same for all the cars present on the road, i have seen alots of German and Japanese high end cars in DHA without any security protocol. You can keep the car but then you will have to be extra careful regarding the usage and the handling.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Better to buy a Mark X or Premio.
    Body kits available for all cars...
    PM for details

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aqibasit View Post
    I call them Pakistani-poor-man's Rolls Royce.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

no one will steal an audi since it wont sell anywhere ( atelast in pak ) . the problem is of rather unwelcome attention ,esp at ATMs and close circles.

potential dacoits and give-you-away servants do notice such things . a person willing to spend 7 + million on a vehicle can sure be kidnapped and forced to negotiate a ransom. this happened to my friend who had the habit of driving around in DHA in his 7 series. he was robbed of 9000rs cash at an ATM by the POLICE !

god help us all but there are too many prying eyes here in Pakistan.. id rather prefer to lay low .

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

no one will steal an audi since it wont sell anywhere ( atelast in pak ) . the problem is of rather unwelcome attention ,esp at ATMs and close circles.

potential dacoits and give-you-away servants do notice such things . a person willing to spend 7 + million on a vehicle can sure be kidnapped and forced to negotiate a ransom. this happened to my friend who had the habit of driving around in DHA in his 7 series. he was robbed of 9000rs cash at an ATM by the POLICE !

god help us all but there are too many prying eyes here in Pakistan.. id rather prefer to lay low .
    Jo dar gaya, samjho MAr gaya. Did your friend then recover his stolen amount from the "police"?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aqibasit View Post
    Japanifing a thread related to german automakers? Seriously?

If your dad is as enthusiastic about german cars, get one for him. He deserves it tbh. Let him enjoy something he loves.

Regarding your queries, here's what I can tell you.

1) DHA is one of the safest places. I lived in phase 2 for 6 months and the place is full of European/american cars, most of the time without security protocols. Just regular people driving their cars. If the car will be a weekend fun driver, I doubt it will attract unwanted attention. Lahore is full of these cars. So is Islamabad. Hell, even Peshawar has a whole bunch of these cars. I'm sure every city has them. There was a mention about rear leg room not being great. True. But isn't the car for you parents to enjoy? I mean, its not gonna be a family hauler now is it?

2) The traffic situation is bad everywhere. Even in Islamabad, the one place I actually feel easy driving around, things are taking a turn for the worse. About lahore, well, DHA is pretty easy for the driver. The bike problem is huge though through out lahore. What I did notice was that most people kinda stay away from these type of car's at stops. So you shouldn't worry too much. But its always better to stick to the right/left lane. That way, one side of the car is protected.

3) Every car looses value over time until they become a collectible. Don't buy a car if you are already planning on selling it before you have even paid for it.

Best of luck.
    My 1985 Mercedes Benz W201 190D (DIY's, Detailing and Photo-shoots)
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/members-member-rides/207432-my-mercedes-c-class-w201

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

buy him a brand new car or under warranty one so he remains in peace
    DHA is flooded with high end cars on weekends specially.
    A3 will actually look like a corolla in main DHA area on a Saturday night
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

LOL did police took it at gun point ? if not then dont blame the police its your friends fault for handing them over the money.. Doesnt matter if it he was using a 7 series or a Rikshwa..
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well when i bought A new Camera i did a bit of photography back then check this thread, this is what we see in upscale areas of Lahore(dha,cant, gulberg etc) https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/spo...ngs-qwertypoiu

So an audi A3 is not problem
    RIP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List