Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 106
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Dos and Don'ts for Car Maintenance/Repairs

  1. #1
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Naweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,469
    Follows
    12
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default DOs and DON'Ts for Car Maintenance / Repairs

    Guideline for posting

    .. keep it general
    .. keep it simple
    .. quote authority or reference where available
    .. correct, what proves to be wrong later
    .. avoid unnecessary discussion

    Thanks

    Examples

    - Do change engine oil once in 6 months even if prescribed mileage has not been achieved
    - Don't
    remove CAT (catalyst convertor), either clean it or replace it

    Purpose

    Of this thread is to share knowledge on everyday issues .. question where the advice is not clear .. a healthy sharing and discussion .. in a typical thread not everyone gets knowledge then sometimes contradictions end up in unwanted debates .. hopefully those elements will surface less here
    "You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."

  2. #81
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    aliusman420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    6,935
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    when brake pads are removed - they are usually worn down and are of no use anymore, they are replaced. If you are paying for some sort of job that involves roughing up your old brake pads then change shops - your current one is not upto good.
    They say that this treatment is advised after every 10,000 km. Never fell for this though.


    Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    8th Gen Mitsubishi Lancer 1.3 GLX 2006; 3rd Gen Toyota Prius 1.8 S-Touring 2010; 11th Gen Toyota Corolla 1.3 GLi AT 2014.

  3. #82
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aliusman420 View Post
    They say that this treatment is advised after every 10,000 km. Never fell for this though.


    Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    ask them to show you this in writing from the manufacturer.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  4. #83
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    aliusman420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    6,935
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    ask them to show you this in writing from the manufacturer.
    They certainly won't have any answer to that.
    After how much kms do you suggest rotating the tires?


    Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    8th Gen Mitsubishi Lancer 1.3 GLX 2006; 3rd Gen Toyota Prius 1.8 S-Touring 2010; 11th Gen Toyota Corolla 1.3 GLi AT 2014.

  5. #84
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aliusman420 View Post
    They certainly won't have any answer to that.
    After how much kms do you suggest rotating the tires?


    Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    10,000 kms is a good interval.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  6. #85
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    aliusman420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    6,935
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    10,000 kms is a good interval.
    Okay thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    8th Gen Mitsubishi Lancer 1.3 GLX 2006; 3rd Gen Toyota Prius 1.8 S-Touring 2010; 11th Gen Toyota Corolla 1.3 GLi AT 2014.

  7. #86
    PakWheeler Follow
    huraiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    562
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    brake pad change is actually called brake service. when they are changed the discs are inspected for weardown and are changed if under manufacturer specification, rubber parts are changed out if worn down too (the workshop is held liable in case of any accident caused by such worn down parts left installed on vehicles they service)

    drum brake service is quite simple and easy. Its just a simple wash down with soap and water, then a few dabs of greasing and a bit of adjustment - Shops just charge ONE wheel charges to service two wheels of drum brakes - unless springs and hardware is being swapped out - and this is done when the car rolls in for a brake service job (pad change etc).

    The one very vital bit of brake service is flushing out the brake fluid. A very critical and necessary job.
    Oh that clarifies it I was talking about the service Pakistani mechanics do ie cleaning pads and discs only.
    How often brake fluid should be replaced,on my car It's been two years.


    Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

  8. #87
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huraiz View Post
    Oh that clarifies it I was talking about the service Pakistani mechanics do ie cleaning pads and discs only.
    How often brake fluid should be replaced,on my car It's been two years.


    Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    its best to do it on a yearly bases. Two is stretching it - mostly good for dry areas but terrible for wet.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  9. #88
    PakWheeler Follow
    huraiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    562
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    its best to do it on a yearly bases. Two is stretching it - mostly good for dry areas but terrible for wet.
    Thanks for this. Time to visit garage again,I was in impression it's minimum two years.


    Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

  10. #89
    PakWheeler Follow
    pakfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    56
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Optimum performance is achieved by using the recommended octane rating. If you are mixing two kinds of fuels then either you are using a lower octane rating which is not optimum and can damage your engine or are wasting your money on a higher octane rating that you don't need.
    Nation Got The Country... But Country Didn't Get The Nation!

  11. #90
    PakWheeler Follow
    pakfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    56
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Brake fluid should be good for about 40,000 miles. It will depend on your use. If the brake oil appears dirty and has particles or bubbles then it might be time for a change.
    Nation Got The Country... But Country Didn't Get The Nation!

  12. #91
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    VCheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Select City
    Posts
    25,479
    Follows
    7
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pakfin View Post
    Brake fluid should be good for about 40,000 miles. It will depend on your use. If the brake oil appears dirty and has particles or bubbles then it might be time for a change.
    Brake fluids replacements should be done by time, not mileage. Every two years is a good interval for most situations.

  13. #92
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    dms664's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Select City
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,013
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
    Brake fluids replacements should be done by time, not mileage. Every two years is a good interval for most situations.
    Sir what the book says on this?

    Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

  14. #93
    PakWheeler Follow
    shahidwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    17
    Posts
    323
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pakfin View Post
    Optimum performance is achieved by using the recommended octane rating. If you are mixing two kinds of fuels then either you are using a lower octane rating which is not optimum and can damage your engine or are wasting your money on a higher octane rating that you don't need.
    It means that we shouldn't mix high octane and supreme..???

    Sent from my HUAWEI G700-U10 using Tapatalk

  15. #94
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dms664 View Post
    Sir what the book says on this?

    Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    nearly half manufacturers are on the 1 year category and the other half are on the 2 year category, the Pakistani category of "kaala birake haail" is unique to Pakistan only.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  16. #95
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    VCheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Select City
    Posts
    25,479
    Follows
    7
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    nearly half manufacturers are on the 1 year category and the other half are on the 2 year category, the Pakistani category of "kaala birake haail" is unique to Pakistan only.
    .... under normal operating conditions, even more frequently in areas of persistently high humidity, or if it ever boils.

  17. #96
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    dms664's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Select City
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,013
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    nearly half manufacturers are on the 1 year category and the other half are on the 2 year category, the Pakistani category of "kaala birake haail" is unique to Pakistan only.
    sir my car is dec 2010 model and driven 60k up till now. Every time I insist to the 3s dealer service adviser about brake fluid change he is like no not now and it will be changed after 100k. I am personally feeling now that the braking is not up to the mark but they will not listen to me and will show me the oil in reservoir which is yellowish and according to them till the time it does not get blackish it is good to go.

    Sir Kindly guide me which type of brake oil i need to pour in PKDM corolla gli 2010. The car came with 2nzfe. ODO is something above 60k with all the periodic maintenance done from 3S.

    Recently I changed transmission fluid despite all the advisors and foremen of 3s stopping me from doing so. According to them there is no need to change manual transmission fluid until it gives problems. Believe me after I changed the transmission oil the car acceleration has improved a lot. I don't know if it is a placebo or manual transmission fluid change improves acceleration.
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

  18. #97
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dms664 View Post
    sir my car is dec 2010 model and driven 60k up till now. Every time I insist to the 3s dealer service adviser about brake fluid change he is like no not now and it will be changed after 100k. I am personally feeling now that the braking is not up to the mark but they will not listen to me and will show me the oil in reservoir which is yellowish and according to them till the time it does not get blackish it is good to go.

    Sir Kindly guide me which type of brake oil i need to pour in PKDM corolla gli 2010. The car came with 2nzfe. ODO is something above 60k with all the periodic maintenance done from 3S.

    Recently I changed transmission fluid despite all the advisors and foremen of 3s stopping me from doing so. According to them there is no need to change manual transmission fluid until it gives problems. Believe me after I changed the transmission oil the car acceleration has improved a lot. I don't know if it is a placebo or manual transmission fluid change improves acceleration.
    please complain on this dealer, brake fluid exchange is done on a yearly basis for good performance of your vehicles brake, the fluid to use is any good quality DOT3 brake fluid - Guard, Sieken, ZIC, FUCHS, Emarat, Caltex, Wagner etc etc all work good, you will need about 700~1000 ml of it to flush it out.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  19. #98
    PakWheeler Follow
    usmanqadeer.education's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    26
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    this is a no activity code - this essentially means that there is nothing coming back from the sensor to the ECU, usually such case is a blind sensor (fouled/dead) or damaged wiring. - btw I hope you are replacing with new O2 sensor not junkyard ones.

    @VCheng - please move this cluster of posts to the Q/A thread in mechanical/electrical
    Unfortunately I was getting from junkyard from a qabli engine dealer and replaced almost 3 to 4 times but same result. Mechanic was asking that lets try to change and try exhaust (CAT converter etc). If it work then He gonna charge me. According to him this may work.
    But I'm thinking to get a new sensor first.

  20. #99
    PakWheeler Follow
    hyderhamdani92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    26
    Posts
    246
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Don't apply luster on the interior.It makes it sticky and the dust accumulates quickly.
    SpeeD Widout Control Iz Nothin...

  21. #100
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Naweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,469
    Follows
    12
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    do not use fully synthetic oil in engines above 50,000 km driven .. unless recommended by oem
    do not use hi-octane in cars where its not a must .. occasional %age filling is acceptable
    "You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •