Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By moizadil
  • 1 Post By moizadil
  • 1 Post By moizadil
  • 1 Post By Hassan1991

Thread: Buying for resale? My opinion

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    moizadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    324
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

    Default Buying for resale? My opinion

    I want to ask all the members here a question. Recently I had an option to buy between a Honda City model 2009 and a Honda City 2010. The problem was that Honda City 2009 was a silver color whereas the Honda 2010 was a maroon color. It would have been easy to sell Honda City 2009 since it was a market color so everybody advised me to go for that. However I was not in the favor of doing this since I was getting the Honda City 2010 for cheaper price and the same condition

    Ultimately I opted for 2010 since it was an up model and getting it for 5k cheaper than the 2009. This didn't go well with a showroom jannay wala we have as he thinks we made a wrong decisions and everyone I tell this to says the same. I still don't get the mindset of the people here. You have to drive the car sitting inside it and not on the roof. People should keep mechanical condition as their priority whereas we buy cars based on their body. In my opinion is this wrong. Btw I plan to use this car for atleast 4 years

    I have 2 questions

    1) what would you have done?

    2) is Marron Honda city very out of market?

    Sent from my 0PJA2 using PW Forums mobile app


  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    aa78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    704
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    You chose right, though to some fiscal detriment due to prevalent market "resale" thought process. Anyone who knows his car(s) will prefer a newer year model over color or repaint jobs in panels. It's your money, your choice. Don't let anyone else's opinion make you indulge in buyer's remorse.

  3. #3
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Hassan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,283
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Get 2010 model don't listen to what people say about resale value bla bla....
    even some people will suggest you new cultus or mehran in this price LOL
    The first step towards knowledge is to know that WE are IGNORANT

  4. #4
    PakWheeler Follow
    walzor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    23
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    If you ask me, I would have done exactly the same.

  5. #5
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    qwertypoiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    29,144
    Follows
    2
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    So as I understand

    2009 and 2010 city has no difference.. Just the registration year/mfg year.

    They were identical in condition but the 2010 was 5k cheaper.

    What you did is your saved your 5k and bought a 2010 model which is just on paper and is no superior over 2009 model.

    you saved 5k by buying the maroon one.. Not that you liked the maroon color over silver..


    In other words 5k weighted more then all the resale related issues..


    As i know city.. 4-5 years down the line when you will go to sell your car assuming both the one you bought and the silver one are identical in condition will sell for almost the same price but you mind find a buyer bit late because of the color


    Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    RIP

  6. #6
    PakWheeler Follow
    moizadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    324
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hassan1991 View Post
    Get 2010 model don't listen to what people say about resale value bla bla....
    even some people will suggest you new cultus or mehran in this price LOL
    EXACTLY. I think maybe it's the inferiority complex of the people or they are just afraid because of which they miss out on very good deals by not buying a used car. Same goes with smartphones.

    10 months back I had a budget of 700k to buy a car. Everybody advised me to go for a used cultus or a new mehran, however I went for a baleno and it's honestly the best decision I've made. Wonderful ac, decent mileage and in these 10 months the only trip to the mechanic was for air filter.

    Sent from my 0PJA2 using PW Forums mobile app

  7. #7
    PakWheeler Follow
    moizadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    324
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    So as I understand

    2009 and 2010 city has no difference.. Just the registration year/mfg year.

    They were identical in condition but the 2010 was 5k cheaper.

    What you did is your saved your 5k and bought a 2010 model which is just on paper and is no superior over 2009 model.

    you saved 5k by buying the maroon one.. Not that you liked the maroon color over silver..


    In other words 5k weighted more then all the resale related issues..


    As i know city.. 4-5 years down the line when you will go to sell your car assuming both the one you bought and the silver one are identical in condition will sell for almost the same price but you mind find a buyer bit late because of the color


    Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    Okay come to think of it, you're right. You have a very valid point. However I preferred the maroon color over silver. Pathar kay neechay sa bhi aaj kal silver city nikal jati hai. So annoyingly common in Pakistan. I don't know why we never move our of white, black, silver and grey. I once saw a blue city, just beautiful.

    And yes while resale it might cost me 10 20 days extra to sell but I think buyer might give weightage to an up model. Because I was looking for 07 city before moving onto this and I can say that for an old car one year matters a lot.

    Sent from my 0PJA2 using PW Forums mobile app

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Hassan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,283
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moizadil View Post
    EXACTLY. I think maybe it's the inferiority complex of the people or they are just afraid because of which they miss out on very good deals by not buying a used car. Same goes with smartphones.

    10 months back I had a budget of 700k to buy a car. Everybody advised me to go for a used cultus or a new mehran, however I went for a baleno and it's honestly the best decision I've made. Wonderful ac, decent mileage and in these 10 months the only trip to the mechanic was for air filter.

    Sent from my 0PJA2 using PW Forums mobile app
    You had made the right decision if I'm in such situation I'm had did the same thing.
    I don't know why people have made resale value so much important even they get hatchback rather then sedan just because of resale.
    I know resale matters but it doesn't matter this much.
    The first step towards knowledge is to know that WE are IGNORANT

  9. #9
    PakWheeler Follow
    moizadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    324
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

    Default

    Yes exactly. I've seen my family rejected brilliant cars because of a door or two repainted. Bhai kuch nahi hota repaint honay sa!!!

    Sent from my 0PJA2 using PW Forums mobile app

  10. #10
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Hassan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,283
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moizadil View Post
    Yes exactly. I've seen my family rejected brilliant cars because of a door or two repainted. Bhai kuch nahi hota repaint honay sa!!!

    Sent from my 0PJA2 using PW Forums mobile app
    Muja bhi nae samaj aati log ek fender colour hona ki vaja sa deal finish kr deta haien....
    The first step towards knowledge is to know that WE are IGNORANT

  11. #11
    PakWheeler Follow
    moizadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    324
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

    Default

    Yes very true. I think the only concern about the car being repainted is that the roof or the Bonnet of the car has been painted. This would indicate that the car has been in a major accidentaccident. Correct me if I'm wrong

    Sent from my 0PJA2 using PW Forums mobile app

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Hassan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,283
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moizadil View Post
    Yes very true. I think the only concern about the car being repainted is that the roof or the Bonnet of the car has been painted. This would indicate that the car has been in a major accidentaccident. Correct me if I'm wrong

    Sent from my 0PJA2 using PW Forums mobile app
    can't say bonnet of small hatchbacks because there bonnet get bend even if cars hits at walking speed
    The first step towards knowledge is to know that WE are IGNORANT

  13. #13
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Hassan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,283
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moizadil View Post
    Yes very true. I think the only concern about the car being repainted is that the roof or the Bonnet of the car has been painted. This would indicate that the car has been in a major accidentaccident. Correct me if I'm wrong

    Sent from my 0PJA2 using PW Forums mobile app
    can't say bonnet of small hatchbacks because there bonnet get bend even it cars hits at walking speed
    The first step towards knowledge is to know that WE are IGNORANT

  14. #14
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Sarkaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Which color you liked better ? obviously on a given day there will be more people liking silver over red. If you like the red color then go for it, you see it already lost resale to silver one, a whole year difference better condition but selling at lower price but again there are people who like red color if you like the color then go for it!
    Corolla Altis 1.6 2016-to date
    Wagon R VXL 2014-2016

  15. #15
    PakWheeler Follow
    moizadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    324
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkaar View Post
    Which color you liked better ? obviously on a given day there will be more people liking silver over red. If you like the red color then go for it, you see it already lost resale to silver one, a whole year difference better condition but selling at lower price but again there are people who like red color if you like the color then go for it!
    Yeah I liked the red and ultimately i went for it too. But the problem I discussed in the thread wasn't this. The actual problem is that people actually love the red color and even the blue color but our stiff minded market doesn't allow you to deviate from the basic silver, grey, white colors because of which they have to go against the wishes. But this to obviously come down do the demand of the product, if there was a demand for the color then it would have been priced higher, and the demand is influenced by the resale of the car. It's a loop.

    However I'll always be of the opinion that if you like something you should not let the resale of the product influence your decision. In most of the cases people keep their cars for 3 4 years atleast and during that time atleast I'd love to have something comfortable and something I like to look at rather than something I just bought over the fact that it has resale value.

    I developed this thinking after I saw my father buying used Toyota and not anything else because it has resale. And those Toyota have cause more mechanic khawari than anything imaginable.

    Sent from my 0PJA2 using PW Forums mobile app

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •