Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: - FORMULA 1 Season 2007 - (RAIKONNEN WINS)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default - FORMULA 1 Season 2007 - (RAIKONNEN WINS)

There is considerable time left in the start of the season but there are a lot of news coming through. So, just like last time we had a single thread about F1 2006 season I am starting this thread for the 2007 Season. This will allow all of us to discuss things at one place.

My request to all the F1 fans, please post F1 2007 related stuff here.
    Honda City 1999 1.5L NEO MT | Honda City 2009 1.3L AT

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lawyers at work on Alonso's McLaren exit?
    Team claims no developments

Alonso's future remains the focus of much speculation

The wheels are now in motion for the early conclusion of Fernando Alonso's McLaren contract, according to reports.

On Tuesday, the German daily Bild said the team's lawyers are now working on ending the deal, after Spaniard Alonso's relationship with McLaren reached a new low following the espionage affair and claims of lying and extortion in Belgium.

"Adios, Alonso!" Bild exclaimed.

The news brings a fresh perspective to team boss Ron Dennis' admission at Spa-Francorchamps that he is seeking "closure" after one of the most difficult seasons in his 40-year career in racing.

"Part of our closure will be to take all the controversy out of the team," the Briton said, adding that any variation to any driver contract for next year would be "by mutual agreement."

"We have contracts with both drivers and those contracts are not under discussion. Our objective is to be focused on the remaining races this season.
    If there is any desire for anybody to vary their contract then, there will be the appropriate time to sit and talk about it, but that desire has not been expressed," Dennis declared on Saturday.

McLaren informed F1-Live.com that there have been no developments since the above statement was made.

Fernando Alonso's contract runs until the end of 2008 and also includes an option for a third year.

Nevertheless, it is believed that Alonso will return to Renault, where under the guidance of his mentor Flavio Briatore he secured back-to-back titles in 2005 and 2006.

D.B. © CAPSIS International
    Source GMM

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

McLaren withdraw Hungary sanction appeal
    Hint at acceptance of spy case verdict?

Out of the courts and back to racing?

McLaren-Mercedes have withdrawn their appeal against a points penalty the team received during last month's Hungarian Grand Prix, the International Automobile Federation (FIA) announced on Tuesday.

The Formula One team were deducted 15 points due to them in the constructors championship after Fernando Alonso was found to have voluntarily impeded team-mate Lewis Hamilton in qualifying.

Hamilton went on to win the race, with Alonso finishing fourth at the Hungaroring.

An appeal hearing had been scheduled for Paris on Wednesday, but the FIA said in a statement: "McLaren have notified the International Court of Appeal this morning (Tuesday) that they wish to withdraw their appeal against the decision of the Stewards.
    "

McLaren's decision to drop the appeal could mean that the British team have decided to accept the FIA's record 100 million dollars fine and the decision to remove them from the 2007 constructors' championship race after being found guilty of spying on the Ferrari team.

© CAPSIS International
    Source AFP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think it was very aggressive. Having said that he was well within his rights to defend his position as you would expect any other driver to do. The british media willl as always hype it up as their golden boy goes down for the count in the world championship of 2007.

Mclaren will not appeal against the FIA desicion. Ron Dennis said so much again and again in his interview before the start of the Belgian GP. He kept saying ` i want closure. I want to move on from this, and want to convince my partners not to go for appeal`.

Mclaren have to pay about 35 to 40 million in actual fine from their pocket as the rest will be the 65-70 million pounds which they would have recieved if they had won the constructors chmpionship this year which will now go towardes the fine.
    Come back, Luca Badoer, all is forgiven.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Transcript highlights Dennis/Alonso row
    McLaren team boss Ron Dennis revealed at the spying hearing that he and Fernando Alonso were not on speaking terms following the Hungarian Grand Prix.

In the transcripts of the hearing, made public by the FIA on Wednesday, Dennis explains how cold his relationship with the world champion has been since the Hungaroring and as a result of Alonso believing he should get preferential treatment over Lewis Hamilton at McLaren.

"We are not on speaking terms, but that does not matter," said Dennis during the FIA hearing on Thursday, 13th September.

"We have not had any conversations since that point," added Dennis, referring to the conversation in Hungary in which an upset Alonso told his team chief he had information that could be used against McLaren in the spy case involving the British squad and Ferrari.

"First, the relationship between Fernando and myself is extremely cold. That is an understatement," said Dennis. "In Fernando's mind, there is the firm belief that our policy, whereby each driver receives equal treatment, doe not properly reflect his status as World Champion.

"He bases this assertion on the fact that his experience and knowledge and what came to him from his former team is such that he should receive an advantage.

"In that discussion, he was extremely upset with what had taken place the previous day, but nowhere nearly as upset as I was," added Dennis referring to the incident during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix, where Alonso lost his pole position after a row with his teammate Hamilton.

"He said things that he subsequently and fully retracted. Within the passage of material, he made a specific reference to e-mails from a McLaren engineer. When he made this statement, I said, "Stop". I went out, brought Mr Whitmarsh him in, and Fernando said everything again, in front of his manager.

"When he had finished, I turned to Martin Whitmarsh, asking what we should do with this particular part of the conversation. Martin said we should find Max. After Martin and Fernando left, that is exactly what he did. I recounted the entire conversation to Max. I was upset and angry, but mainly upset. Max calmed me down.

"He said that I should do nothing. I started to calm down. Then, prior to the race, Fernando's manager came and said that he had lost his temper and completely retracted everything he said. When I phoned Max, Max was understanding and said things to me that are irrelevant here, though I would be more than comfortable sharing them.

"He was completely understanding and said that, on the basis of what I told him, if he felt there was any real validity in what Fernando had said, he would contact me prior to taking any action.

"I, however, on the basis that this was an engineering matter, I asked Martin whether he thought something was amiss in that area. He told me, 'We have been too thorough in talking to the engineers; he cannot have been telling the truth.' We subsequently had a reasonable Grand Prix.

"Fernando came to me. He had come in third. He apologised for the outburst and I put it down to the heat of the moment, in which he was angry. That is how I took it. Other than following up with Martin, the matter ended there, until 26 days later, when the drivers received a letter.

"What took place between those times, I do not know. I do not know what circumstances brought that into the public domain," Dennis concluded.

Dennis also revealed McLaren had asked Alonso to attend the Paris hearing, but the Spaniard had refused to go.

"Mr Alonso is not here because he does not want to be here," said Dennis. "He does not speak to anyone much. He is a remarkable recluse for a driver. He is not here by choice.

"Moreover, he said he had other things to do by previous arrangement. I cannot force him to come. We asked him to come."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

JAMES ALLEN'S VERDICT
    This was a dull and processional race, about as exciting as watching Colin Kolles get ready for bed.

But it did have a terrific start, with Hamilton and Alonso side-by-side into Eau Rouge.

It is well known that there is only one line into the world’s most famous corner and a few brave souls have perished trying to disprove that theory.

The trouble started at La Source, where Hamilton tried to go around the outside of Alonso.

The Spaniard was having none of it and pushed Lewis out wide, before diving back inside to take his line into the apex and having a go at Massa.

That failed and then he had to deal with Hamilton who was coming up fast on his left as they accelerated down the hill.

Alonso pushed Hamilton off the track, over the kerb and the fake grass strip and onto the wide Tarmac run-off area.

Hamilton did not lift and when he came back on track he was a half a car length in front – but, crucially, on the wrong line for Eau Rouge.

Undeterred, he entered the corner side-by-side with his team-mate, but soon realised he would be launched into space if he tried to stay there and so he lifted off.

Thereafter he was unable to mount a challenge and he finished a rather disappointed fourth.

Afterwards he wailed about Alonso’s tactics. “He threw his car at me!” he said.

Momentum man

There has been a slightly worrying trend for Lewis since Silverstone.

This was the third time in five races that he has not made it onto the podium and he has now dropped 12 points to his team-mate in that period.

Alonso always said that he would be stronger in the second half of the season once he was fully up to speed with the Bridgestone tyres and comfortable with his new team and his new car.

He looks like he’s wearing the car now, so his pace is very strong, but he must be very thick-skinned if he does not feel the animosity towards his from sections of the McLaren team.

But today he bore out Ron Dennis’ words when describing Alonso’s confrontation with him in Hungary, which led to all the trouble at the World Council. Ron said “competitive animals know no limits”.

We have learned a lot about Alonso this year, not all of it nice, but there is no doubt that he is a formidable competitor.

This is a man’s game and although Lewis was angry with Alonso’s driving at the start, he will be forced to recognise that he has to give as good as he gets if he is to beat the Spaniard.

Split down the middle

This is now the ‘squeaky bum’ part of the championship. Alonso’s been here twice before and both times he held his nerve and came out as world champion.

It looks like he’s going to do it again this year unless Lewis can dig deep and find some new strength.

But Lewis is now suffering from the lack of cooperation from the other side of the garage on set-up. Alonso is keeping his data to himself and his experience is making the difference at the moment.

Once Lewis has a couple of years of experience under his belt he’ll be a match for Alonso, but right now he’s in desperate need of a boost from somewhere.

It will be no disgrace to finish second to Alonso in his first season. But after all that has gone on behind the scenes at McLaren this year, especially with the extraordinary confrontation between Alonso and Dennis at the Hungarian Grand Prix, it will be hard for Lewis to understand how the team could sit back and allow Alonso to beat him to the world title.

Hamilton is their future. Alonso wants to leave – taking the title with him if he wins it – and there is little enthusiasm to prolong this relationship from McLaren’s side.

Wouldn’t it be ironic if the legendary fairness and equality in McLaren’s treatment of its drivers, which made Alonso so angry, was the very factor which gave him the world title?

Ayrton Senna said, “Nice men don’t win.” And he was the pioneer of the win at all costs mentality, which was adopted by Michael Schumacher.

The German was heavily influenced by Senna in his early career and the signs are that Alonso has watched and adopted a lot from Schumacher.

Michael was tough and uncompromising on the track, giving nothing away to the opposition.

He also made it his business to stay close to Max Mosley and use his influence behind the scenes. Alonso met with the FIA president for lunch on Saturday and he seems to be playing the game now, after being on the wrong side of the ‘town hall’ in recent years.

One area where Schumacher excelled but where Alonso is seriously lacking, however, is in his relationship with his team.

Michael bought presents for everyone, never criticised the team in public and engendered such loyalty in his men that they would have walked through a brick wall for him.

Alonso is made differently. He’s had a whinge where he’s felt it necessary and he does not build the relationships like Michael did.

But he is a very strong man and a very clever one. I doubt that Ron, even though he battled with Senna and Prost, has had too many experiences like the ones Alonso’s given him.

Lewis has to be as selfish and as hard as him or he won’t be champion.

Too little, too late?

Ferrari need three more results like this one for Kimi to take the drivers’ title. I don’t think they’ll get them.

Fuji will probably suit McLaren more, while Shanghai and Interlagos do not have the characteristics to favour either team.

At some point, however, one of the McLarens has got to break down – after all, they have finished both cars at every race, all but two of them in the points.

This was a dominant win for Ferrari – not by as much as Turkey, but satisfying for them nevertheless.

Kimi has now won three times on his favourite track, while Massa never made up for a slow opening stint. He had too much front wing, which gave him oversteer.

He pegged the gap in the second stint and tried to reduce it in the third, but Kimi always had plenty in reserve.

When he is on this kind of form he is unbeatable. This is the Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari wanted when they hired him. It’s been on view a few times this year, but not as many as

Renault's regret

Renault are certainly experimenting a lot with strategy this year, particularly on Kovalainen’s car.

Here they put him on a one-stop strategy, despite being faster than Rosberg in the low-fuel Q2 qualifying session.

So they had a faster car than the Williams here, but they ended up finishing eighth, while Rosberg was sixth. It didn’t work, in other words.

That was largely because Rosberg, Webber, and Trulli got in front of Kovy on the grid and then he lost more places at the start.

Still, he really looks the part now and I’m sure he’ll make a great team with Alonso at Renault next year…

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

HOW ALONSO GOT HIS GAME BACK
    Fernando Alonso is back to his best on the track having comprehensively out-raced his McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton at Monza and Spa.

With a third straight title now within Alonso's grasp, Mark Hughes says the Spaniard will be difficult to beat.

Lewis Hamilton’s once handsome championship lead is now a tenuous two points, with Spa the third successive race he has finished behind team-mate Fernando Alonso.

The Italian and Belgian Grands Prix saw the world champion in devastating form, and Hamilton struggling to keep up.

With the title fight entering its final decisive phase, Alonso’s timing could not have been more psychologically damaging to his rival.

What’s behind the recent resurgence in Alonso’s form?

It’s probably significant that at each of the last two races he has stopped trying to beat Hamilton by doing something different.

For much of the earlier part of the season, when Hamilton seemingly had a couple of tenths advantage over him, Alonso was trying to find a solution by making different tyre and brake choices – searching for a technical edge that might overcome the inherent speed advantage Lewis seemed to have in the driving department.

At Monza and Spa Alonso gave up on that search, simply got his head down and appeared to resolve to take on Hamilton on equal terms and beat him by doing a better job at the wheel.

That of course is far easier said than done and Alonso – operating almost as an island within McLaren following his breakdown in relations with boss Ron Dennis – has turned inward, looked inside himself for more performance, and found it.

At its core, performing at the top level in any sporting endeavour is a solitary experience.

A driver has his team around him, but still he is alone in the car and in his thoughts and motivations. These are rooted deep within his psyche.

We’ve seen this with Alonso before: When he feels outward circumstances are turning against him at the crucial moment, he is able to somehow use negative emotions around him to trigger a power within him.

In the run-in to last year’s title showdown he became deeply upset when Renault didn’t use team-mate Giancarlo Fisichella to protect him in his fight with Michael Schumacher at the Chinese Grand Prix.

A week later in Japan he told the world how he often felt alone in the team, how certain he was that such a situation could not have arisen at Ferrari where Schumacher was always protected if necessary.

The Renault team, who felt they were doing everything in their power to help Alonso win the title, were mystified by the outburst.

There would have been a distinctly uneasy atmosphere in their garages afterwards – yet Alonso went out and produced a devastating winning drive that virtually guaranteed him the title.

The previous year, once it became clear that the McLaren was a faster car than his Renault, we saw him baton down the hatches to protect his early points lead. He became a solitary figure during that time too, yet routinely produced brilliant drives.

Alonso is a strange mix – very insular, very private, only opening out to his small group of friends, yet naturally suspicious, always looking for who or what is about to trip him up.

And when he finds it – or believes he has found it – he unleashes the intense passion that fuels his best performances.

Now, having adapted his driving style to the very different demands of a McLaren on Bridgestones after five years of driving a rear-heavy Renault on Michelins, and digging deep within his special psyche, he is in a place that is going to be very difficult to beat.

But do not count out Lewis Hamilton.

His motivation seems to come from a different place, but we have seen many times in his career how he has the apparent ability to step up a gear when a new challenge is presented.

Fast team-mates stretch him, and only now is he seeing the real depths of Alonso’s ability. There is no way he will not recognise that. And this will trigger his own response.

The three-race showdown is going to be dynamite.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Unclekracker,will Alonso left Mclaren for Renualt in 2008?& what about Lewis Hamilton?
    thanx
    Valle!! the great with his YZRM1 looks more coool!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

McLaren to focus on future
    Team will not appeal WMSC decision
    Time to turn the page

McLaren Racing has notified the FIA of its intention not to appeal the verdict of the World Motor Sport Council, as announced on 13th September 2007.

Having now had time to study the judgement of the World Motor Sport Council with its lawyers and shareholders, McLaren thinks it is in the best interests of the sport, and its goal of winning races and world championships, not to appeal.

It is clear from the full judgement that the World Motor Sport Council concluded that the charge that a McLaren employee had "unauthorised possession of documents and confidential information" was proven.

Despite the existence of no evidence that the information was applied, tested or shared with the engineering team (which it was not), this possession constitutes a breach of the Code.

To our regret and embarrassment, the content of the previously unknown emails demonstrated possession not being limited to a single person, albeit unsanctioned in any way by the team. For this breach of Article 151c, a very heavy penalty has been imposed on the team.

The major principle of the issue for McLaren is: this information was not used to gain advantage on its cars.

Moving forwards, and in consultation with our shareholders, we will now review and further strengthen our internal compliance structures and processes.

Ron Dennis said: "We believe the time has come to put this huge distraction behind us. McLaren wants to win races and World Championships. We are fortunate to have, and continue to receive, unwavering support from our employees, sponsor partners and Formula 1 fans across the world – all of whom are equally keen that we totally focus on winning this year's Drivers' Championship and the remaining three races of the season."

Press Release
    McLaren Racing

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@air_explorer

Bro, i personally would like to see Alonso stay at Mclaren, if not for long atleast for one more season. He ( Alonso) always said he would be more comfortable in the second half of the season and its proving to be that way. We could have some nice racing next season if he and hamilton are team mates. Having said that i dont know how he will stay at Mclaren given his relationship with not only Ron Dennis but most of the team.
    I dont know if he will go back to Renault. He has achieved whatever there was to achieve with Renault. If he is moving, and there are many rumors about his likely destination then i think Toyota is a good option. They have resources and its a matter of time before they get it all together. They like Renault are waiting on Alonso`s decision about next year.
    There are also stories doing the rounds tht Alonso will swap his seat with Heidfeld or Webber.
    I think if he wins the championship he will leave the team. As for Hamilton he is tied in a long term contract with Mclaren and I dont think neither he nor the team want to part ways.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Montoya: I feel sorry for Alonso

Former McLaren driver Juan Pablo Montoya has revealed he felt 'sorry' for Fernando Alonso the moment he found out that Lewis Hamilton was going to be his teammate.

As the extent of the troubled relationship between Alonso and team boss Ron Dennis was made public this week in transcripts of the recent FIA spy hearing, Montoya has said he is not surprised that Alonso's time at McLaren has not worked out.

In an interview with news agency the Associated Press, Montoya said: "Fernando is a nice guy, but he was the No. 1 at Renault and he was used to winning and getting everything.

"Then he went to McLaren, and when (wife) Connie and I heard that Lewis was going to be his teammate, we said 'Oh my God.'

"We immediately felt sorry for Fernando because Lewis is Ron's baby. Ron paid his whole career, so Ron wants him to win and not Fernando. He would rather see Lewis win, who is like his own child to Ron. Fernando is nothing to him."

Montoya says there are similarities between the way that his and Alonso's relationship with Dennis panned out. And he thinks it is mostly to do with the way that Dennis likes to keep control over all aspects of the team.

"Ron, outside the work environment, is a great guy," Montoya said. "But he's two different guys. The guy who I signed with and played golf with, he just didn't exist in the office. He was just a different person, you wouldn't even recognize him.

"He wants to control everything, and I think Fernando is (angry) about that because he is not used to someone controlling everything and did not like that Ron was like that. I think Ron is used to drivers who don't say anything back.

"They are very quiet and very nice and do what everyone says, and I came along and he didn't like that. Now I guess Fernando is the same way."

When asked whether or not he believed Alonso was lured to McLaren expecting things to be different, Montoya said: "He thought he was going to come in and be No. 1, and he's just not.

"They try to make them be equal, but Lewis is genuinely a really fast driver. And apart from being really fast, he's Ron's favourite. It's just the truth, and it makes it bad for Fernando."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Montoya not surprised by spy scandal

Juan Pablo Montoya says he is not surprised that Formula One has become embroiled in a major spy scandal, because he thinks everyone has been pushing the rules to the limits in recent years.

The now NASCAR driver, who drove for McLaren in 2005 and 2006, thinks there is nothing out of the ordinary in what McLaren did.

"It's just how Formula One is," said Montoya in an interview with the Associated Press.

"Teams are allowed to bend the rules too much. That's just my personal opinion, but I always felt like people bent the rules and that some teams were allowed to bend the rules more than others. But this? This is crossing the line."

He added: "Someone is always cheating. All the teams have photographers who take pictures of everything on the car. Everybody does it. Here in NASCAR, you have the car right next door to you, you can see it and everything on it.

"But in F1, if someone tried a new wing or something, everyone would go and take pictures of it. A million pictures of the wing at every angle and then they'd put it on the wind tunnel and go try it.

"Everyone copies. It's just the way F1 works. There are so many ways for people to bend the rules."

Despite his feelings about what happened, Montoya does not actually believe that the emails between Fernando Alonso and Pedro de la Rosa that were central to the case were that unusual.

"The crazy thing about the e-mails is they aren't really that big of a deal because you can always find out what everybody else is running," he said. "Somebody will always open their mouth.

"You go for dinner, and somebody will say 'We are running this weight and doing that.' So most of the time you can find out what people are running anyway. And de la Rosa was always like that.

"He would call people and tell them 'We tried this, this and this, and this didn't work.' So he just sent e-mails that said 'We need to try the weight distribution of Ferrari.' But anybody could have found out those numbers without the documents."

When asked about his reaction to the penalties that were handed down against McLaren, Montoya said: "I was surprised by the fine. It was a little high.

"But I gotta say, I was surprised that since they were taking points, they should have taken the driver points, as well. That is crazy, you know, because they took the constructor points but the drivers gained from the knowledge. So if you are going to do it, do it properly."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

TED'S SPA NOTEBOOK
    Ted Kravitz is ITV Sport's pit lane reporter .

McLaren learning from Ferrari

The sheer volume of new information that came out of the FIA hearing last weekend was fascinating, especially the little nuggets of technical data we never knew before.

Apparently Ferrari has been using an unusual gas to inflate their tyres - one that has specific thermal properties that help reduce the internal temperature of the tyre and thus reduce blistering.

I did a bit of investigation about this. There is no specific rule concerning what teams can use to inflate their tyres.

Bridgestone supply the tyres inflated with air. Then each team deflates the tyres and re-inflates them with whatever gas they like.

Nitrogen has been standard, because unlike air, it does not expand when it gets hot and therefore keeps a constant tyre pressure.

But Pedro De La Rosa and Fernando Alonso got very excited about this other gas Ferrari might have been using to actively control the tyre’s temperature. It worked for Ferrari, but a Bridgestone engineer told De La Rosa he doubted it would work for McLaren, and it was never tested, despite Alonso wanting to try it ‘as a priority’.

It is difficult to get a confirmed answer as to what this gas was, but amongst the people I asked, Argon was favourite, followed by the rather more exotic Neon, Krypton and Xenon.

Is this why Ferrari have been able to run on the soft tyres for long stints this year, while McLaren cannot?

Then there were the other technical secrets:

Ferrari’s weight distribution, which surprised Alonso (presumably in how far forward it was compared with his Renault).

The fact that McLaren were testing a flexible wing that De La Rosa says is “a copy of the system we think Ferrari uses” (aren’t flexi wings banned?)

And the fact Ferrari had a driver-operated braking system that McLaren thought was worth investigating.

Just as significant was the fact that all these emails were between Coughlan, De La Rosa and Alonso, and not once did they feel the need to include Lewis Hamilton.

At that early point of the season in March, when the emails were written, Alonso and De La Rosa were working together for Alonso’s benefit - Pedro would test things on the car for Alonso and they would discuss the findings between them.

This is something that has angered the Hamilton camp, since it was all made public.

On the other hand, these insights do give some context to Alonso’s argument that it’s he and Pedro who’ve done most of the work improving the car, not Lewis, and possibly even supports Fernando’s famous ‘I’ve brought six-tenths of a second to the team’ claim.

The Blame Game

I asked Ron Dennis how Alonso and De La Rosa felt now that they had effectively cost their employers $100 million and a constructor’s championship, and what the team felt towards the drivers.

He argued that one had to look at the intent: Did De La Rosa and Alonso intend to damage McLaren when they wrote those emails? The answer is no.

Indeed, they were trying to do the best for McLaren - to make their car go faster. Unfortunately for them, it gave the FIA the evidence they needed to punish the team.

Why Fernando Alonso might want to stay at McLaren next year

I saw Fernando Alonso on the top floor of Red Bull’s motorhome, talking to Christian Horner and, significantly, to Paul Monaghan, who was Fernando’s race engineer for three years at Renault.

Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz was also at Spa on Sunday. Now if that’s not grounds enough for an ‘Alonso to Red Bull, Webber to McLaren’ story, then I don’t know what is.

Remember where you read it first!

I don’t think anyone really believes Fernando will stay at McLaren in 2008, although he might reflect that McLaren will have a significant advantage over the rest of the field next year because of the common Electronic Control Unit.

To govern the FIA’s ban on traction control, there will be a single ECU next year, to be used by all the teams. That ECU is made by McLaren Electronic Systems.

All the other teams have been given one to test already, and are having a nightmare getting their engine electronic systems to talk successfully with McLaren’s ‘black box’.

McLaren, on the other hand, have no such problem with the ECU, because they made it.

In McLaren Electronic Systems’ own words: “The company provides the complete automotive control system used by the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team to deliver the optimum performance available from the engine and chassis” Hooray!

So this winter, when every other team is running around in testing, trying to re-write millions of lines of software and de-bugging the integration of their new ECU, McLaren can concentrate on performance developments, such as weight distribution, braking systems, and tyre gas.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Fisichella must wait on F1 future

Giancarlo Fisichella looks set to face a longer wait to find out his Formula One future, as the driver market is put on hold because of uncertainty about Fernando Alonso's plans.

That is the view of the Italian's manager Enrico Zanarini, who thinks that teams are now stalling on firming up their seats for next year until they know whether or not Alonso will be a free agent.

Although Alonso has a contract with McLaren, his troubled relationship with the team and boss Ron Dennis has cast doubts over whether or not he will remain on board for 2008.

Renault have admitted they would welcome Alonso back, while speculation over the weekend has even linked the Spaniard with a move to Ferrari as replacement for Felipe Massa, who in turn has been linked with Toyota.

The situation remains uncertain, however, and Zanarini thinks all he and Fisichella can do is wait until the Alonso situation becomes clear.

"It's very confusing at the moment, everyone is waiting to see where Alonso ends up," Zanarini told Gazzetta dello Sport. "Until then we'll just have to wait.

"We've long held talks, but at the moment everyone just needs to wait and see whether Alonso leaves McLaren. At that point a complex mechanism of swaps will come into play.

"We don't know anything until he leaves. We'll then need to see what free seats will be available. At the moment we wait."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

FUJI SPEEDWAY

The Japanese Grand Prix heads back to its roots this weekend when the Fuji Speedway returns from the Formula 1 wilderness to host round 15 of the 2007 championship.

The Japanese Grand Prix returns to Fuji for the first time in 30 years in 2007, bringing to an end Suzuka’s 20-year unbroken sequence of races.

- The circuit sits in the foothills of the symbolic 12,388 ft Mount Fuji near the Pacific Coast of mainland Japan. The dormant volcano last erupted in 1708.

- The original Mount Fuji circuit was opened in 1965, although the layout was not in the same form as it had been on the original blueprint. The plan had been for the new circuit to be a 2.5 mile American-style Speedway, but the project ran out of money before both ends of the banking were complete

- Formula 1 made its first venture into the Far East in 1976, with Fuji staging the inaugural such race in the region.

- The renamed Fuji Speedway was given the nod to replace Suzuka and its ageing facilities from this year, although the 1970s layout has been significantly tamed following a multi-million dollar upgrade in recent years.

- Toyota took over the circuit in Autumn 2000 and over the next few years set about bringing the historic venue up to modern-day F1 standards.

- Major redevelopment began in 2003, with the circuit undergoing a substantial reprofiling by F1’s favoured circuit designer Hermann Tilke.

- A number of new chicanes towards the end of the lap were added, with the revised circuit now having 16 corners and measuring 2.835 miles.

- The 2007 race will run to 60 laps.

- Although Fuji officials initially announced an exclusive five-year deal to host the race, the GP will return to Suzuka in two year’s time after organisers agreed to alternate the race between the two Japanese venues from 2009.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@UncleKracker

well written article by urself. u have a lot of knowledge about f1

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

okay new rumors surfacing...alonso might be going to ferrari next yr...chaloo atleast now we'll know whose better kimi or alonso..lol
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

LOL @twisted2fit.

@sub7er
    Bro, it is a rumour for now especially when the source is something like " the news of the world " I would love to see Alonso at Mclaren for atleast one more year to finish the hamilton hype , and i want to see him partner raikkonen to finish that myth. Alonso is the most complete driver on the grid whilst i think raikkonen is the faster of the two on a given lap. They would make an awesome pairing with my money clearly on Alonso coming out on top.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@unclekrcker...yaaa but u never knoe rumors doo materialize...newhoo i think alonso is finally getting acclimatised with team mclaren...soo i expect him to beat hami in the remaining races fair n square, and as far as battle wid kimi is concerned i dont knoe buddy i still rate kimi better then alonso but i maybe wrong i guess we'll have to wait n see if alonso joins ferrari next season.. if he does then its game on!
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@sub7er
    bhai where r u nowadays....
    what are yr plans for the sehri gtg...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@comtrak..sorrie been lil outta scene, have been lil busy wid stuff ...will let u knoe da details later...yaar tum batoow r u going??? andddddddddd wat abt karting...kizzi was suppose to make a plann...?? yaar aghar karting keh scene karneh hai before dinner/sehri then set hai phir count me inn ..wat abt u n ns? r u guys going
    -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

User Tag List