Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Daytime Running Lights?

Salaam@ all.

Hey, everyone has their lights burning during the night, but what about the day? I sometimes run the parking lights or fog lights during the day to keep my car more visible. In AMerica, most cars have this thing called DRL which is the title name. Basically, this can keep u more visible especially to idiots crossing the roads blindly or some moron turning with his eyes closed.

But I figured in PK, people have never heard of such things. ALthough, on the contrary I have actually seen a few hundred cars with their lights burning and it makes me pleased to see Im not the only genius.

Go to automobiles.honda.com and look at the new Civic safety features and stuff. Ull find it has auto Daytime Running Lights. GO to http://toyota-indus.com/hints/driving.asp -- 4th last point.

Id like to see ur views too now.
    What good is a Genius without the Human aspect?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes, you're very right. it may just be useful because my brother told me a similar thing about cars abroad too but people like me cant accept it which is why i often point to drivers their lights are on because i know for sure they arent educated enough to know new inventions and that their's are on by mistake.

the problem with the cars here is that the lights wont go off once the ignition is, unlike those you're talking of. still, I, for some reason cannot come to understand their logic. my brother simply says "they can improve visibility and there's no harm in it" which may be right but........WHY?

anyone?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ok, obviously u dont see the logic. Its ok I didnt either till i researched.

Lets say ur turning into a small lane. Having ur lights off, another car coming in the oposite directin can hit u. If the corner was translucent or opaque, he may not have seen ur car despite the time 2 in the afternoon. If ur lights are on(low beam not parking) he would see the beam and slow down.

If that case wasnt clear, heres a nother one. U r going up the margallas and u meet a blind corner. Look at this-- BLIND CORNER. It is difficult for the oncoming traffic to see u and thts y there are mirrrors there. But still he may be an illiterate. If ur lights are on, theres a higher possiblity u r safe.

ANother case.
    U turn into the F7 area where all those tailors are ,, u know right in front of the " Gol MArket " Blck. I witnesssed this case myself so im telling u. I turned into the area ( next to Kabul REst.) and this jeep came out @ the same time. My lights were off, and he didnt see my and if I were in a Mehran I wouldve been in an accident. My brakes were good and the ABS kicked in. I stopped just in time, cuz that idiot came and turnd looking away from the road. I thought and said to myself if my lights were on he wouldve seen me.

I dont think this is very clear... but heck.

The thing is the lights make ur car more visible and people can see and are more certain there is a car comning. Be careful--keep ur low beams on (even if u dont understand) . ask me fr more dtailed help on this if u want. I know a lot about safety. WEar ur seatbelts too!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

oh yeah..i usually do that when it rains here in KL...it rains like cats n dogs seriously...so for the visibility for approaching drivers..it is advisable to switch on the fog lights..
    Wham Bam Thank You Mam
    -----------------------------------------

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3666/untitled1qh2.jpg

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

On cars with automatic lights, the lights are only turned off if the sun is shining brightly. Just a slight dip and the low beams are turned on.

Being visible to other cars seems to be the major reason.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well here in PAK i would like to say there is no concept of SAFETY on roads. Like u can observe how many of us use to wear SEAT BELTS ???

Even on MOTORWAYS i saw many drivers driving the car without wearing the SEAT BELT.

And this should hav to be followed but first we people need to understand basic saftey feature.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Turning your light on in Daytime!!!!!
    Sounds wierd to me.
    On motor ways and long routs keeping your light turned ON is useless and stupid cuz we have better and clearer visibility throught out the road.
    I agree that while travelling in tight corners and hilly areas it can help but how often you drive to such areas?I think relatively small times.
    Also at daytime low beam seems to be very feeble and mostly difficult to notice unless you are coming from the opposite direction.At turns efficiency drops a lot.
    Atleast in the traffic system of Pakistan,I guess there is no room for such sophisticated phenomenon.We have difficulty to observe our most simple and basic rules, regulations with our people.
    V!C!Ou$ VeLoC!tY Be ThE P@$S!ON

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AS I HAV HIDZ IN MA CAR,,,,MERA TO BUSS NAHE CHALTA KA DOHAIR ME B LIHTZ JALA LOON....BTW I SWITCH ON MA HEAD LIGHTZ AN OUR B4 MAGRIB....NO NOT FOR THE SAFTEY PURPOSE BUT FOR BHARAM
    F20B DOHC VTEC

197hp@7200/145tq@6600

(ported head and type-s cams(12.1, 11.2 lift), 2.0L block 11:1cr 85mm pistons

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yeah,

Seatbelts are very important especially in cars with airbags.

But u see the lights thing in day is not for u to see but for others to see you.Lot of Pakis are blind apparently and they dont look for other cars. It seems 80 % of drivers believe the roads are theirs and never look for other cars but assume they are Sadar Musharaf and the roads are vacant cuz they r going. Ur lights being on help the blindos to know u r coming and some one else may learn from u guyz. If a hundred drives keep their lights on and 3% copy them every week...think how many lights will be on in the day! A safer road for u and I .

Please check ur tires, wear seatbelts, use turn signals, dont use Bi-Xenon lights especially on single roads and keep ur low beams on in the day.

Thankyou all !

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I agree 100%
    I'm a freak who lost his mind in the busy world of today and takes his frustration by being funny with others

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

DRL or Daytime-Running-Lights are a safety precaution. For a car equipped with these, the low beam lamps turn on - as soon as u release the parking break. They burn at 40% of their peak capacity. They turn off as soon as u've put the gear lever in Park (for automatics) and turn off the ignition switch.

For on coming traffic - with the sun behind u, it is hard for them to see u. With DRLs there is a better probability of them making u out. Also, there is a thing called a "blind spot" and if ur car happens to be in someone else's blind spot he can't make u out but ur lights can be reflected in their rear view mirror. Also, motorcycles are equiped with this functionality but their headlight burn at the full rate. The reason is that the front profile of a bike is so small that it can easily be out-of-vision if they r coming from front or following behind u. Again there is a better probability of some one spotting them in their rear view mirror or making them out if they r approaching from the front.

I wonder why no one in Pakistan raises this issue to the manufacturers or at some other platform or start demanding it outright from the dealers. (atleast put out a demand for safety features). Its a safety issue and should be made standard on all cars. It is NOT THE SAME as turning ur head-light on. The amount of energy required is much less with DRLs and since this system is functioning all the time the car is running, a seperate dediceted cirucit is often employed for this.

I have also, always wondered why "Bumpers" are not included as standard or even optional equipment on our cars in Pakistan. What they put on is just the regular bumper cover and we're happy with it! Its imperative that every car should have a front and rear bumper installed. It not only saves costly repairs for minor fender-benders but also saves lives and limbs of pedestrians! (I got two made for my Civic, front and rear, and installed them - at a local shop - for a cost of Rs 1,200 - way back in 1998).

I've not seen the latest offerings in Pakistan, but if you guys view the front 2/3rds of any modern car and its engine compartment, u'll notice that most of the designers have gone for softer edges or round edges. Not only is this aerodynamically more efficient - this design paradigm is also responsible for saving lives/limbs of pedestrians. Has anyone thought about why manufacturers have started putting plastic-covers on top of the car's engines? Would you believe it is a safety issue as well !!! Consider the fact that if a pedestrian is hit (by a car not having an engine cover), the bonnett will bend down and the pedestrian can be hurt from the engine components - which WILL protrude through the bonnect if enough force (like the speed of the car hitting the pedestrian) is applied to it.

Please everyone, when u drive, be careful not only for ur safety but also for the safety of every road user and ALWAYS Buckle up when u drive.
    -

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List