Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default CD 70 6 Volt TO 12 Volt Conversion

Salam,
    I am having a Honda CD 70 (Breaker point model)
    It came equipped with a 6 Volt wiring system which served well for almost 22 years, But now I think that its time to upgrade it to 12 Volts because of the following reasons

The non availability of 6volt accessories like bulbs and igination coil etc.
    The Dull Headlight and Dim Indicators.
    I even had to get the brake light switch disconnected as the brake light also caused a decrease in the headlight brightness and affected the charging system.

I was planning to get all this work done by tommorow but then this idea struck my mind that I should better ask for opinion from any one who has done this or have information regarding this.

So my major concerns are :

1 What will be the things that will have to get changed excluding the battery,bulbs?
    2 Im in Rawalpindi so what would be the cost of labour and the things needed for the conversion?
    3 Will it be usefull or not as I want the light to be as strong as the new CD,s

Waiting for your valueable suggestions

Thanks in advance.

One of the most difficult things in the world is to know how to do something, and to watch without comment, somebody else do it incorrectly.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

There shouldn't be any major issues if Done properly.
    This dog, is dog, a dog, good dog, way dog, to dog, keep dog, an dog, idiot dog, busy dog, for dog, 30 dog, seconds dog! ... Now read without the word dog.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

salaam all:

i own a 1983 honda cd-70e. am the first owner. has 6v electrics. alhamdulillah it has 154,000 kms on it. the ht-coil was replaced after about 100,000 kms. got a genuine coil from muhammadi autos, murree road, for rs. 550.00. alternator coils also replaced around that time, made in bangkok, working fine alright. all the electrics are brilliant. no problems at all. have replaced complete wiring harness once.
    i suggest, find some good electrician and keep the originality of the bike.
    i did it myself since autos / bikes are my hobby!

rgds

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^ I have just returned from the electritian and he said that the total estimate is around 1200~1500 PKR
    He said that all the wiring is ok and does not needs replacement.
    He was saying that only the battery, bulbs, rectifier will be changed.
    I also asked him that will the outcome be as good as the new CD then he said that it wont be as the new CD is CDI system + it is having a 6 coil generator so still its light will not be that much good but it will become alot better.
    He was saying that no need to change the starting coil which is of 6 volts also no need to change the condensor which seemed a bit confusing.
    BTW this electritian is running his shop in the street which is located opposite to Mohamadi Autos by the name of Zahid and Babar Electritians.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty_racer94 View Post
    There shouldn't be any major issues if Done properly.
    Thanks for the interest Rusty.
    I hope that all goes well and the outcome should be worth it.
    One of the most difficult things in the world is to know how to do something, and to watch without comment, somebody else do it incorrectly.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asifshah View Post
    salaam all:

i own a 1983 honda cd-70e. am the first owner. has 6v electrics. alhamdulillah it has 154,000 kms on it. the ht-coil was replaced after about 100,000 kms. got a genuine coil from muhammadi autos, murree road, for rs. 550.00. alternator coils also replaced around that time, made in bangkok, working fine alright. all the electrics are brilliant. no problems at all. have replaced complete wiring harness once.
    i suggest, find some good electrician and keep the originality of the bike.
    i did it myself since autos / bikes are my hobby!

rgds
    BTW what is this ht coil?
    I would love to keep it original as uptill now I was having no problems.
    Electric system is working alright but the lights are too dull, indicators and horn are also creating a bit of a problem moreover 6 volt accesories are not that easily available so thats why I opted to go for it.
    I dont know why Im having a feeling that untill and unless new wiring is done there will be no use of this conversion.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ht coil: high tension ignition coil. delivers 30k volts to the spark-plug.
    i think the generator (alternator) coils have weaken with time. these are two (02) in count. one assists the battery charging & ignition coil, while the other takes care of main head light, front positon light & rear position light.
    also the ageing wiring harness show lot of resistance to the flow of current. replace the same before you convert it to 12v. you just have to replace it from the plastic head-light housing to the battery compartment. it seems like main artery enclosed in a black pvc sleeve & a segment of it shows on left side of handle bars near the front end of the frame coming out of the head-light housing and getting into the frame underneath fuel tank. eventually terminates at the top of the battery.
    make sure your rear mud-guard is grounded properly as well.
    also replace the selenium rectifier. a faulty rectifier prevents proper charging. the original rectifier comes for rs. 100.00, you may get it from muhammadi or moon autos, rwp.
    keep in mind that a faulty condenser also decreases the charging efficiency of the generator.

by the way i have no problems with the purchase of 6-volts electrics so far.
    start step by step in this order, & observe the results,i.e; 1) replace the rectifier, 2) condenser, 3) wiring harness, 4) alternator coils.
    & then if you find youself still unsatisfied go for 12v conversion. but i assure you there is no guarantee on that either if not properly done.

think about it.

rgds

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thats what I was really confused as the electritian said that no need for the wiring change as its ok but I was of the view that new wiring matters alot in proper flow of current.
    The main thing that was a bit worrying for me was that even after the conversion if I donot get the expected results than obivously it would be a waste of money and time.
    The rectifier and condenser you are reffering me to change, I doubt will be available in 6 Volts and even if they will be available then they must be not of that good quality.

About the charging system, you are saying that will be resolved by the changing of the generator coils or should I get the new winding done for these coils? (which will be a better option?)

The Wiring Harness, what will I have to say to the dealer and from which shop can I get these?

In the end can you please tell me the list of things that I need to get changed in order to get the conversion done in the way you want it to be done.

I would be really gratefull if you can also give me an idea on the prices plus the brands of products that I should buy.
    What will be the total estimate of all the stuff If I make the purchase from Moon or Mohamadi autos as they are the most renowed shops over there.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well i already mentioned the step wise procedure that may be followed.
    regarding the prices, i can only give you a sketchy idea...like i said rectifier rs. 100.00~, condenser rs. 150.00~, wiring harness rs. 300.00~, alternator coils (02-off) rs. 300.00~.
    get parts from where ever you find quality, be it muhammadi or moon or anyone else. go for japanese brand names (stanley, daiichi), but if not available then go for taiwanese or bangkok made items. but select the ones you find good in finish/quality. check all honda parts outlets at murree road and kashmir road (saddar) for quality parts.
    hope this helps!

note: get new alternator coils unless you know anyone who can really do it with 100% accuracy.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks alot.
    I get it now
    I will be going to Muree Road in an hour or so and will hunt for the best ones available.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asifshah View Post
    well i already mentioned the step wise procedure that may be followed.
    regarding the prices, i can only give you a sketchy idea...like i said rectifier rs. 100.00~, condenser rs. 150.00~, wiring harness rs. 300.00~, alternator coils (02-off) rs. 300.00~.
    get parts from where ever you find quality, be it muhammadi or moon or anyone else. go for japanese brand names (stanley, daiichi), but if not available then go for taiwanese or bangkok made items. but select the ones you find good in finish/quality. check all honda parts outlets at murree road and kashmir road (saddar) for quality parts.
    hope this helps!

note: get new alternator coils unless you know anyone who can really do it with 100% accuracy.
    I today went to another electritian at circular road.
    He checked the bike and the wiring and according to him the wiring was A1 and didnot needed any replacement.
    I said to him that what if I want to get them changed anyway?
    He was of the view that the new wiring and the fitting will not match the quality of the wiring which comes factory fitted.
    He said that the coil will be winded for 12 volts and he was giving me a guarantee that the the winding done by him will be better than the one on the HT coil and I was like WTF?
    He said to me that "you can get it changed if you want but I will reccomend you get the original one winded".
    Moreover he said that condensor and rectifier will be changed with 12 volt ones and the charging issue will be resolved by the winding of the coil.
    Should I get it done the way he is saying or should I insist on getting the HT coil as you suggested?

Also another question,
    I want the Igination coil (the one which is connected to the spark plug) to be upgraded from 6 to 12 volts
    I asked him the procedure of the igination coil upgrade and he said that It cannot be as upgraded as for the upgrade it will have to be converted to a CDI and once again I was like WTF?

Im a complete nerd and clueless regarding this situation as every electritian I ask for suggestion, gives me his own philosophy.
    As you are having experience regarding this so I want to follow the steps mentioned by you but after all the work which will be done will be carried out by these electritians so unki bhi sun ni paray ge.

P.S (Forgive me If my questions are being too irritating but I want to get it done in the proper manner so I have to ask each and every thing )

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

aa:

i can understand you situation... & i know u have to trust the person doing the job for you. but remember everyone has his own limitations.

let's assume that ur wiring is ok & given that you have a new or functional battery.

to start with yourself, i think you will be able to replace the selenium rectifier yourself. you just have to pull out the old one & put new one into the connector (keeping correct polarity). then ride your bike for around ~1000 kms, check the lights/horn during day n night for any improvement.
    CD 70 6 Volt TO 12 Volt Conversion -31755

if you find things back to normal then no worries... but if you still have issues then get over the rest of the checks in a sequence i mentioned, only one at a time, by your electrician. check for the perforance in between & proceed to the next step if not satisfied.

again this is my point of view & have written this with true intentions... you are at full liberty to do ur own thing or whatever ur electrician says.
    i think it will cost you less mentally & financially if you focus on keeping 6-volt electrics rather than to covert it on 12v.

good luck!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I see
    Ok I will try to carry out the procedure on my own step by step as you mentioned and will let you know with the progress.
    Once again thanks for your help and support.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Asif bhai what is the difference between the genuine coil and the HT coil?
    is it the same or does it performs well than the one that came originally with the bike?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

both are high tension coils. genuine part comes in approved honda packing, whereas the after-market part has its own brand name / origin.

tcfficeffice" />

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I see,
    BTW that guy is giving me a guaruntee of his work.
    So should I got for the winding?
    These were his words " jo kaam ham kar ke dain ge uski hum aap ko guaruntee dainege aur jo coil aap humain la kr dain ge uski guaruntee aap khud dainge uski durability ki hum koi guaruntee nahi dete".

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well almost everyone claims he is the best, why don't you try the approved honda outlets?

anyway do whatever you are comfortable with.

good luck & rgds

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

That is a problem
    You have to trust, the guy who is doing the job for you.
    I will Inshallah check Honda Outlets aswell
    Moreover now Im more interested on keeping it on 6 volts as after alot of councelling with other friends I think that I should try to get the charging system okayed on 6 volts.
    I am getting some body work done this week so I will Inshallah get it done by the end of this week or maybe next week

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@daniyal

I agreed @asifshah.

If u r not getting desired results then u shud find culprit part & change it. The local upgradation done by mechanics may lead to some other problems as well. As far as Weak alternator/Generator coils are concern u can found the new one too.
    One other thing i wana mentioned is that the quality of parts like Indicators lights etc also matters alot in their performance i mean if u put poor qulity indicators/Lights on brand new bike then even they cant peform well.
    Exploring Machines is my Passion...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^ The bulbs and indicators housing is still genuine
    the bulbs were changed when they needed replacement
    headlight bulb is of Stanley 25W
    Horn is of Nikko
    I think that the charging system is kinda faulty.
    @Asif Bhai I consulted the 5s dealer Khawaja Autos on Muree Road yesterday and he said that they donot deal in these kind of conversions and guided me to another mechanic and said that he will increase the charging current so the issue will be resolved
    Btw Im having some body work being done to my bike and once it concludes then I will get this electric work done.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Asif Bhai can a RELAY be installed with the headlight of a motorbike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List