Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default CD 70 6 Volt TO 12 Volt Conversion

Salam,
    I am having a Honda CD 70 (Breaker point model)
    It came equipped with a 6 Volt wiring system which served well for almost 22 years, But now I think that its time to upgrade it to 12 Volts because of the following reasons

The non availability of 6volt accessories like bulbs and igination coil etc.
    The Dull Headlight and Dim Indicators.
    I even had to get the brake light switch disconnected as the brake light also caused a decrease in the headlight brightness and affected the charging system.

I was planning to get all this work done by tommorow but then this idea struck my mind that I should better ask for opinion from any one who has done this or have information regarding this.

So my major concerns are :

1 What will be the things that will have to get changed excluding the battery,bulbs?
    2 Im in Rawalpindi so what would be the cost of labour and the things needed for the conversion?
    3 Will it be usefull or not as I want the light to be as strong as the new CD,s

Waiting for your valueable suggestions

Thanks in advance.

One of the most difficult things in the world is to know how to do something, and to watch without comment, somebody else do it incorrectly.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@daniyal
    Since 2 diffrent electricins verified that wiring harness of ur bikes are in good condiiton & as u told that light assy/housings are alos original & in good condition. so it seems me like generator/Alternator coil of ur bike is weak & its quite common problem with bike having old 6V electrics. If these coil are weak than installation of relay will not increase performance. So to verifiy the condition of generator coils, ask ur Electricians to directly put Headlight beam (Direct from Bulb Holder wires) to direct cable coming from generator coil if its glow properly than the problem is in wiring harness other wise Coil is weak & u shud replace it with new one ( in worst case ucan get it rewind).

Also let me tell u that if u simply get modify ur old setup to 12v ( by replacing Rectifier, Baterry & rewinding of coil as Electrician told u)it will not gives u better results( like u want same as in brand new bike) & in most of the cases it becomes mess.

So i wud say again that its better to stay with original setup (After proper repairing) or other wise switch to complete 12V setup including Magnet new 6 coil genreator plate & original CDI system if u want results like new bikes.
    Exploring Machines is my Passion...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hello?
    One of the most difficult things in the world is to know how to do something, and to watch without comment, somebody else do it incorrectly.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

aa:

well i answered yesterday but don't know why it disappeared...

anyways in short, yes u can put a relay but i won't advise it.
    ur system worked fine when the bike was new so why it can't perform now with everything to the original specs.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I was thinking the same.
    but some body advised me to go for a relay so I thought that I should ask you
    I was quite busy this week.
    have to get this work done this weekend or early next week.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by imranbhatti View Post
    @daniyal
    Since 2 diffrent electricins verified that wiring harness of ur bikes are in good condiiton & as u told that light assy/housings are alos original & in good condition. so it seems me like generator/Alternator coil of ur bike is weak & its quite common problem with bike having old 6V electrics. If these coil are weak than installation of relay will not increase performance. So to verifiy the condition of generator coils, ask ur Electricians to directly put Headlight beam (Direct from Bulb Holder wires) to direct cable coming from generator coil if its glow properly than the problem is in wiring harness other wise Coil is weak & u shud replace it with new one ( in worst case ucan get it rewind).

Also let me tell u that if u simply get modify ur old setup to 12v ( by replacing Rectifier, Baterry & rewinding of coil as Electrician told u)it will not gives u better results( like u want same as in brand new bike) & in most of the cases it becomes mess.

So i wud say again that its better to stay with original setup (After proper repairing) or other wise switch to complete 12V setup including Magnet new 6 coil genreator plate & original CDI system if u want results like new bikes.
    How I missed your reply?
    Thats what I want to do now.
    I was of the view that 12v will result in an increase in the light but I saw the both headlight bulbs and they both gave the same out put i-e 25watt so I think that its better to get the 6 volt setup repaired
    BTW what will be the cost of the complete 12volt conversion including 6 coil generator and the genuine CDI unit?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@daniyal

Yep U got it now Coz Bulb rating of 6V & 12V systems are almost same but technicaly 12V system face apparently less losses & is bit efficient than 6V. I m not sure but this if u cud find complete 12v setup with CDI from junk it shud cost u ~2500 Rs.
    Exploring Machines is my Passion...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^ I see,
    And what about the new one?
    Is genuine one available?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My mechanic is saying the same,
    I think I should get the CDI unit installed, though it never gave me any problems on breaker points but why take the risk?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List