Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: which engine oil and air filter u use ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default which engine oil and air filter u use ?

the thread title says it all ....anyhow which engine oil and air filter u use ?
    i am uing shell and mechanics say its water... dnt use it.. and which cmpany air filter u use.. is there any k&n air filter available in pindi ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asad01 View Post
    @Storm
    could you please show me on the American Petrolium Institutes website where it says otherwise????
    my point exactly, all newer oils are designed to meet all previous requirements as well as new ones.

"Pump wallas" don't print the manual that comes with a new bike, get one and read which grade oil the manufacturer recommends.
    do you really believe those manuals are printed specifically for this region? also when were those manuals originally printed? real world experience is what is important, and the bottom line is that times have moved on and oil technology has vastly improved.

earlier you advised people to use API SG grade oil (for pre-1993 engines), which is obselete everywhere else in the world, this is something i'm agianst, i think that if someone is purposely using an inferior oil they should be advised not to buy it and rather spend their money on something which is better value for money and will provide better protection to their vehicle.

now i'm not in any way suggesting that you must use our brand of oil, there are plenty of great oils out there like Zic, fuchs, Mobil etc all of whom make oils of API SL or higher which will provide far superior cleaning etc of your bikes engine.

please reconsider your choice of engine oil.
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think some of the replies are about CARS, not motorbikes.

I use Caltex Havoline oil(black bottle) in my bike, I don't buy it from spares shops. I only get it from a good Caltex fuel station. It is API SG, 20w50 oil, and I change it every 1,000 kms. Whichever oil you use, get it from a well reputed petrol pump, not from spares shop. Do not use anything above API SG, (API SJ, SL, SM, etc.) those are for cars with catalytic converters.

Air filters for Suzuki are available from Suzuki workshops, since its made of foam, it can be washed and reused. I have not changed the filter yet, for over two years. Paper air filters sometime have problems. On my old Honda 110 (semi-circular paper filter) I have wrapped the filter with vacuum cleaner bag and put extra foam around the air intake hole. Buy the filter from main Honda shop and compare the quality.
    dear tooday i searched a lot but could not find caltex havoline 20w50.. there was only 20 w 40.. where do u get 20 w 50 ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

havoline onlycomes in 20w 40 in bike oil
    " Hope for the best & Prepare for the worst. "

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asjdsm View Post
    dear tooday i searched a lot but could not find caltex havoline 20w50.. there was only 20 w 40.. where do u get 20 w 50 ?
    It seems that you are looking at motorcycle parts shops or tuning shops because the 20w-40 packing is in 0.7 liters (usually used by 70cc mcycles) and is not available at Caltex petrol pumps. You could easily get the 1ltr pack (20w-50) from Caltex pumps.

There is also an oil available by Liquimoly Germany thats 20w-50 and API-SG rating. its in 1ltr packing. Caltex havoline stands nowhere to this oil in all aspects. The dealer is in bluearea ISD. but it will cost 500/ltr.

you can also try Castrol Active 4t API-SG 20w-50. its new but gaining popularity and its specifically being made for motorcycles keeping in mind all the requirements of motorcycle engine and wet clutch. I found it good too. To my experience its better than caltex bc the engine runs smooth and with less noise).

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bike_junky View Post
    It seems that you are looking at motorcycle parts shops or tuning shops because the 20w-40 packing is in 0.7 liters (usually used by 70cc mcycles) and is not available at Caltex petrol pumps. You could easily get the 1ltr pack (20w-50) from Caltex pumps.

There is also an oil available by Liquimoly Germany thats 20w-50 and API-SG rating. its in 1ltr packing. Caltex havoline stands nowhere to this oil in all aspects. The dealer is in bluearea ISD. but it will cost 500/ltr.

you can also try Castrol Active 4t API-SG 20w-50. its new but gaining popularity and its specifically being made for motorcycles keeping in mind all the requirements of motorcycle engine and wet clutch. I found it good too. To my experience its better than caltex bc the engine runs smooth and with less noise).
    perhaps i can convince you to try Ultra7 next time.
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Kixx Gold is great for DHOC engines
    Main tay Honda ee lay saa'n !!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    perhaps i can convince you to try Ultra7 next time.
    perhaps, but I still have 3 1ltr bottles of 100% Ester based fully synthetic mcycle oil that I bought from amazon. the oils are.

1)SILKOLENE OIL PRO 4 15W-50
    2)MAXIMA RACING OIL MAXUM 4 EXTRA 15W50
    3)MOTUL OIL 7100 20W50 4T SYN 1L

All of the above mentioned oils are JASO-MA and API-SG. I bought them to take advantage of their long drainage interval over mineral oils. Hopefully Ill cover the per liter cost of them by using for enough long time. the only thing I am worried about that there is no oil filter in my cg and the oil will contaminate soon o/wise thay can easily be used for 8 to 10k kms.
    any suggestions.

Hopefylly petromin will also introduce some good mcycle oil in the market too.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

perhaps, but I still have 3 1ltr bottles of 100% Ester based fully synthetic mcycle oil that I bought from amazon. the oils are.

1)SILKOLENE OIL PRO 4 15W-50
    2)MAXIMA RACING OIL MAXUM 4 EXTRA 15W50
    3)MOTUL OIL 7100 20W50 4T SYN 1L

All of the above mentioned oils are JASO-MA and API-SG. I bought them to take advantage of their long drainage interval over mineral oils. Hopefully Ill cover the per liter cost of them by using for enough long time. the only thing I am worried about that there is no oil filter in my cg and the oil will contaminate soon o/wise thay can easily be used for 8 to 10k kms.
    any suggestions.

Hopefylly petromin will also introduce some good mcycle oil in the market too.
    the lack of an oil filter will mean that they will not be able to perform or last that long in PK. This sucks since these are all good bike oils and would easily be able to give you much more milage in a different environment. unfortunately they'd be luck to give you 3-4k in PK without a filter.

any chances of retrofitting a filter on these bikes liek i did on my VW? i'm sure it'd make a HUGE difference to oil change intervals.

Petromin has a few 2stroke motorcycle oils but for 4 stroke bikes (and cars) ultra7 (SL) is more than enough.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes.. 20w50 isnt available in .7 liter packing and only (?) in 1 litr..but the "pump wallas" said that it is only for 125... NOT for 70 .... every employee of that particular pump wallas said that ... so i got a bit confused... what i thnk is to use 3 bottles and it can easily do for 4 refills.. however the sttements of pump wallas are a bit frightning ..realy this 1 ltr 20 w 50 cant be used in 70cc .. ?[definitly pouring .7 ltr in and storing the remaining.]

thanks

i cant find castrol pump in isd.. ilive in i-8.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If an oil has a JASO-MA grade, its best for motorbikes, doesn't matter what API rating it has. But since few oils available in Pakistan have JASO ratings, we have to stick with API SG rating.

Motorbikes use only one oil to do all different types of lubrication and other stuff for which cars use two or three different oils and water cooling.

I have to change Caltex Havoline oil in my motorbike after only 1,000 kms., but people using it in their cars change it after 3,000 kms. The reasons: 1) in cars the oil is not supposed to work as a coolant, 2) in cars the engines run at a lower rpm than a general 9,000 to 10,000 rpm of a motorbike engine, 3) in cars the engine oil is not subjected to extreme stress of gearbox lubrication, the gearbox in cars is separate and it uses gearbox oil, and 4) in cars the slipperier the oil the better is the fuel consumption, as the clutch plates are not submerged in the oil, in motorbikes however, the clutch is submerged in oil and will slip a lot earlier if a new car oil is used.

If an oil is good for motorbikes they should get a JASO-MA rating and the issue will be settled. The 'SILKOLENE OIL PRO 4 15W-50' oil mentioned above has multiple ratings: JASO MA & MA2
    API SG, SH & SJ
    CCMC G5.

I think a version of Total Quartz has SL and SG ratings (don't remember the number).
    Asad

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@asjdsm
    Yes you can use three 1 litre bottles for four fillings, no problem using it in a 70 or 50cc bike.

I think Castrol oils are available at PSO fuel stations.
    Asad

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ok today i bought caltex havoline 20w50 3 litre can for 1000 rs... heck its damn expensive... i mean 333 rs for a litre. and 20w50 1 litre costs 340.. and .7 litre 20w40 costs 202 rs.. or 288 per 1 liter.... i will update this thread after i use it once.thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

U would have used Castrol instead of caltex but best of luck with caltex.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

u can also try Zic 4T its API SJ/CD, SAE 10W/40 JASO MA and its very good oil

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Currently Im Using MOBIL Super S Plus Mobil Oil and HKS Mushroom Air Filter
    DIY The Best Workshop on the Holy Planet!
    Every thing changes,Its only the "change" which never changes.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Poster

Are u refering to bikes or Cars.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Faisal_RX8 View Post
    @Poster

Are u refering to bikes or Cars.
    BIKES and that is why i posted it in " Bikes / 3 Wheelers" section.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If an oil has a JASO-MA grade, its best for motorbikes, doesn't matter what API rating it has. But since few oils available in Pakistan have JASO ratings, we have to stick with API SG rating.

Motorbikes use only one oil to do all different types of lubrication and other stuff for which cars use two or three different oils and water cooling.

I have to change Caltex Havoline oil in my motorbike after only 1,000 kms., but people using it in their cars change it after 3,000 kms. The reasons: 1) in cars the oil is not supposed to work as a coolant, 2) in cars the engines run at a lower rpm than a general 9,000 to 10,000 rpm of a motorbike engine, 3) in cars the engine oil is not subjected to extreme stress of gearbox lubrication, the gearbox in cars is separate and it uses gearbox oil, and 4) in cars the slipperier the oil the better is the fuel consumption, as the clutch plates are not submerged in the oil, in motorbikes however, the clutch is submerged in oil and will slip a lot earlier if a new car oil is used.

If an oil is good for motorbikes they should get a JASO-MA rating and the issue will be settled. The 'SILKOLENE OIL PRO 4 15W-50' oil mentioned above has multiple ratings: JASO MA & MA2
    API SG, SH & SJ
    CCMC G5.

I think a version of Total Quartz has SL and SG ratings (don't remember the number).

salaam:

speaking of JASO MA & MA2 grades, your statement might be correct theoretically regarding premature slippage of clutch.
    i am running my cd70/1983 on conventional oils & has +156500~ km on the odo. it is still running on original clutch plates (clutch/engine never opened) with no noticeable change in clutch operation since day-one.

regards

v8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I use Caltex Havoline 20w50 for my civic-94 (d15b vtec)
    change it between 2,500km to 3,000km. Engine flushing is done at every 2nd oil-change

don't use air-filters!!
    bcoz got Air-Intake (Simota)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asjdsm View Post
    ok today i bought caltex havoline 20w50 3 litre can for 1000 rs... heck its damn expensive... i mean 333 rs for a litre. and 20w50 1 litre costs 340.. and .7 litre 20w40 costs 202 rs.. or 288 per 1 liter.... i will update this thread after i use it once.thanks

salaam:

try the caltex outlet run by the comapny at f-6 (adjacent to 'best price'). contact person is 'arif'. they have digital flow-meters, & officially dispense oils right off the drums at company price as no packing cost; etc, is involved. just take along an empty clean container in size according to your need.
    the drill is quite economical. tried this many times with havoline/motor oil 20w-50............

regards

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

User Tag List