Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: help regarding tappets[valve clearence] adjustment.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question help regarding tappets[valve clearence] adjustment.

hi
    i need some help regarding tappets[valve clearence] adjustment.... i have today adjusted my valves clearence of yd70 to .05mm inlet and .05mm exhaust.which is what the manual recoments .. i used the proper tools to do it. i.e. feeler gauge.. and i am 100 % sure that my settins are ok..but the problem is that it is has lost its power afte these adjustmnts... its pick is poor and top speed has reduced to 65-70km/hr.. what should be the ideal settings for valuves.. as mechanics dont use the feeler gauge they just using their fingers and adjust while the enginge is very hot..i did it on absolutely cold engine.so i suspect that either the original value has shifted because of these improper adjustemnts .. so should i make them a bit more tight or loose ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asjdsm View Post
    hi
    i need some help regarding tappets[valve clearence] adjustment.... i have today adjusted my valves clearence of yd70 to .05mm inlet and .05mm exhaust.which is what the manual recoments .. i used the proper tools to do it. i.e. feeler gauge.. and i am 100 % sure that my settins are ok..but the problem is that it is has lost its power afte these adjustmnts... its pick is poor and top speed has reduced to 65-70km/hr.. what should be the ideal settings for valuves.. as mechanics dont use the feeler gauge they just using their fingers and adjust while the enginge is very hot..i did it on absolutely cold engine.so i suspect that either the original value has shifted because of these improper adjustemnts .. so should i make them a bit more tight or loose ?
    thats y i never adjust them at home , u should be really expert to do it ,
    its true tappids should be adjusted in cold engine condition not in hot , i think u have tightened them a bit , loose them a little bit and c , its better to consult a mechanic

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

dear i have adjusted them on cold engine.. further adjusting tappets is not that much difficult. its very easy. just bring the piston to top dead center of compression stroke and allign the t mark on the flywheel with the notch in the case .. then adjust tappets using gauge..i think that since the mechanics have never adjusted them using feeler gauge. thats y now the optimal value has shifted... i think they keep it over tight ..tighter then the prescribed .05mm ... but i dont know how muc to more to tightn them...

however when i have time i will ask a mechanic about it...
    thanks and happy eid mubarak to all.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

check the clearance again - and your engine should not lose power after adjustment it should gain some power - did you adjust it slightly dragging or with a free sliding gauge - free sliding can cause it to be very very loose
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

no there was a slight drag on the feeler gauge .. and i could'nt insert a .08mm feeler gauge in it.. and i am sure that i put it .05mm ..

kia ya possible ha ka mechanics na is ko kabi exact value pa adjust nai kia .. and resultantly is ki normal value jo ka .05mm ha wo kuch our ban gai ho.. ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

no - thats impossible that the ideal clearance can change. (did the manual say to do it on a dead cold engine)

are you 100% sure it was at TDC - the crank has to rotate 2 times for the cam to rotate once. meaning you have the T mark line up once at exhaust stroke TDC and once at compression TDC - if you set it at exhaust TDC your settings would be seriously messed up, the cam lobe base circles are not correctly aligned to measure clearance in most high revving small engines
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes it is at tdc of compression ... and yes it should be done to cold engine.. however i will ask mechanic as to what clearence is it being set to...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brother!
    They r xtra tight.
    Plz keep them slightly lose.
    U n bike b come happy.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

dear i have adjusted them to .05mm and that is the correct value ... if it is to be kept loose then it means that either the .05mm figure given in manual is incorrect or this value has shifted to some other value...due to some reasons [ what could it be ].. i have double checked it is .05mm at tdc of compression....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

value cant shift, its not possible , and regarding manual, its always correct , so its better to recheck ur settings from some expert mechanic,
    ther place where i go 4 tunning always use feeler guage for setting

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Recheck the clearance again, could be you did not torque in the adjuster nut enough leading to the tappets becoming loose. I have the feeler gauge handy yet I always adjust the tappets on my bikes (cd7 or cg125) with hands, a little side to side but no up and down play at tdc is what I set my bikes tappets at. However the bucket/shim system on my XJ550 has no tappets so the feeler gauge always comes in handy for that particular mill.

I like the tappets on my bikes a little loose, If i do not hear the slight tick tick sound coming from the top I'm not at all satisfied. A little loose tappets help the cam move freely making the bike a little extra responsive. But again, this is just my personal opinion and just the way I like it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

dear i have adjusted them to .05mm and that is the correct value ... if it is to be kept loose then it means that either the .05mm figure given in manual is incorrect or this value has shifted to some other value...due to some reasons [ what could it be ].. i have double checked it is .05mm at tdc of compression....
    Yaar do din pehley main ne apne cg125 ki 2nd tuning karwai hai and this time i tried a new mechanic altho he is working from 11 years. Butt beleave me he really disappointed me. In short us ne mere bike ki mat mar ke rakh di. Main dobara us ke paas geya magar us ke senior se bhi adjustment na ho saki. So brother i have to go back to my original mechanic and finely he adjusted back the tappets and now its working fine with my peace of mind. So the conclusion is this brother some time koi senior admi bhi ghalat kam kar deta hai. Now simple is this go to some good mechanic and ask for readjustment.
    The reason behind this long post is this that im to much carious about tappets too.
    Sorry for length.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

sorry for the late replay ..

i got my bike tuned from shabir from kadha market islamabad... he is sorry to say very pathetic mechanic.. reasons is that my bike has lost power even my own tuning was way better then his .. now it is very hard to start it in the morning and if it starts it dies quickly .. and it also dies at various signals .. temporarly i have very much increased the idle rpm and the problem is a bit reduced. but still the power issue is there..

secondly he did not used the feeler gauge to set the tappets.. and he adjusted it using his experience and i asked him about the manual recomendations and he rubbished them aside... so i will have to redo tappet adjustments on my own somehow...

using the experience thing as opposed to the instruments is just a game of luck .. u may get the tappets adjusted perfectly just by chance and u may also get it ruined .. because one mechanic adjusted them very nice using his experience and the second time they were very poorly adjusted by the same mechanic...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

wht im looking from ur experiments is that u will end up damaging ur valves or i think they are already damaged , as the symptoms indicate that ur idle is unstable , go to a good honda service center in ur area and adjust them frm there , such experiments only end up ,costing an engine rebuild

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

When adjusting the tappets by your self do it in the morning because the bike engine will be totally cool.
    Mechanic use a term called "double top" when adjusting the tappets. Means first the inlet valve should be open and then the exhaust valve and its a complete cycle. At this point repeat the cycle once more and allign the t mark on the flywheel with the notch in the case.

The key point is that at the TDC you should feel a little play in the tappets when you move them by hand. At this point you should adjust the valve clearance.
    And the feeler guage should be moving between the valve clearance with a sliding force.
    I think you are over tightening the tappets as when u tight the nut with wrench you also move the tappet screw with it. Be sure not to move the tappet screw when tightening.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi Allz. I have bought nw CD70. Want to know who is best tuning/tappet expert in RWP/ISB?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default tappet adjustment

Where i can find a good mechanic for Honda pridor tappet adjustment in lahore

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zubair.ilyyas.5 View Post
    Where i can find a good mechanic for Honda pridor tappet adjustment in lahore
    You may visit Fine Autos Mustafa abad main Road, there ustad Aslam is the best Honda Mechanic. You may get the tappet adjustment from there.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hi
    Once a mechanic told me that inlet and outlet valves should have some difference 0.5 vs 0.7 etc.
    Otherwise both valves can colide and thees rattling and knocking.. dont know if its true? coz i researched a bit on onternet and did not find this to be true..

anyhow thats not my speciality.. goodluck

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Automotorsport_Lover View Post
    Once a mechanic told me that inlet and outlet valves should have some difference 0.5 vs 0.7 etc.
    Otherwise both valves can colide and thees rattling and knocking.. dont know if its true? coz i researched a bit on onternet and did not find this to be true..

anyhow thats not my speciality.. goodluck

veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy old post .

anyhow ..

auto this is false ..
    i have one head open right before me . with valves disassembled .. and tehre is no chance of valves colliding ..
    now i have no issue ..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List