Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70.[pics attached]

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70.[pics attached]

hi
    my bike was very noisey its idle was not good. moreover after some ride for half an hour it would die. did tuning but issue wasnt solved checked for intake leaks no leak was found. so though may be there would be some carbon deposits in the chamber .. so opened the engine.. cleaned the piston crown with wd40 and petrol and razor ,, repacked the engine cylinder was very nice and had a beautiful cross hash design on it,, after the entire process the change is only in bike sound and its idle ,, now its idle is very smooth and calm no vibration ,, and also the issue of bike dying after sometime is solved,, did all my self,,
    here are snaps..
    just look at the carbon deposits at the piston and the gasket,,
    Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258193

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258194

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258195

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258197

afte some cleaning with wd4 and petrol assited by tooth brush,, not good clraning but ok
    Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258198

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258199

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258200

look at the cut on the piston for exhaust and intake these cavities were fully filled by carbon deposits,,

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258201

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258202

at last the word IN on piston is visible

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258204

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258205
    more wd-40 to loss the rusted carbon,, and then agaimn using shaving razor blade to scrub the dirt,,

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258206

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258207

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258208

at last the piston crown is clean not good but much better then it was,,

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258212

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258213

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258214

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258215

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258216

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258220

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258221

cleaned combustion chamber ,, it is located in cylinder head,,

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258222

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258223

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258224
    Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258241

measuring the exhaust valve of e22 head ,, it is 20 mm
    Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258242

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258243

and the intake side of the e22 cylinder head,, it is 22 or 23 mm,, since i hav no vernier to measure it exactly,
    Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258244

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258245

diameter of the combustion chamber seems to be 49-50 mm but not sure about it ,, gues it for ur self,,

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258246

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258247

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258248

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258249

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258250

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258251

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258252

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70.[pics attached] - 258253 Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70  pics attached

the dirty combustion chamber,, before it was cleaned,, look at the oily layer at the sides,, was due to head gasket leak,,

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258254

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258255Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258256

Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258257

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258258

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258259

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258260

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258261

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258262

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258263

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258264

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258265

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258266

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258267

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258268

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258269

image through the intake port of e22 cylinder head,

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258270

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258271

omage through exhaust side of e22 cylinder head,

Carbon Desposits on Piston crown and in combustion chamber of dyl 70pics attached -258272

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

nyc job.. but more explanation is mandatory
    3D Printers | 3D Printing | Biotechnology
    www.grit3d.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

nice nice
    hope now its perfect
    what about that cd100 carb issue?
    legend will revive soon

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by cursedd View Post
    nyc job.. but more explanation is mandatory
    thanks for appreciation,, ask any query will try to answe it,,
    i have mentioned what hit my mind at the time of posting if something missing ask it will be glad to answer it,,

one thing that amazed me is that the valves are very big as compared to 70 second thing carb is very small for it should be at least 18-20mm ,,
    chamber is pretty big ,,
    the bike had done 22k kms and was serviced.tuned pretty much timely ,, still got such a dirty piston ..
    main reason was to replace gasket for which i needed to open it,
    now no serious performance difference is observed except that it is much soft in acceleration and sound,, and idles very nice,,,

as far as the cd100 carbi issue is concerned still that is lingering ,, will update that ,,

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

one thing is a nbit confusong me
    i also removed its cylinder to easily clean the piston and to check the piston and cylinder ,, and during this process i though removed the cylinder but did not removed the piston ,, however i rotated the rings in their positions to check if the can be rotated then i separated the opening gap between the first two rings by 120 degrees and i somehow forgot to check the opening of the oil rings,, however i did not rotated the oil rings and so at leas the two oil rings are in the same position and i m also sure that the opening of any ring doesn't coincides with the oil rings openings,, is it any serious issue?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if u have cleaned the side walls of the piston then u will face the loss of compression , because carbon deposits in older pistons help makin up the compression of piston , it is not advisable to pull the piston out of cylinder unless ur going to replace it

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@asjdsm
    good to know u became 25 from 40 , congrates

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice work you've done there
    Life is beauty, admire it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by umer009 View Post
    if u have cleaned the side walls of the piston then u will face the loss of compression , because carbon deposits in older pistons help makin up the compression of piston , it is not advisable to pull the piston out of cylinder unless ur going to replace it
    thanks for the advice ,, i havent done anything to side walls of piston all the scrubbing was done on the crown ,, the rings were as bright and clean as new,, so were the oil passageways, and cylinder wall weas excellant it had a very nice cross hash desingn on it,,

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the vave size is pretty big 23mm for inlet and 20mm for exhaust, can any body comment on the valves sizes of honda 70cc?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I always polish the piston crown with brasso polish to make it more slick - it slows down the carbon buildup activity on it.

btw the engine is new - and that much amount of soot on your piston looks pretty acceptable to me considering its an aircooled engine in a commuter motorcycle. And you did an excellent step to rotate and check the rings - they seal due to compression pressure buildup behind them. The piston ring grooves should be checked and cleaned whenever you take out the piston, Finally check ring gap in the bore and replace if required.

VERY NICE.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Awesome Job bro! i appreciate!
    Two of the best quotes of Punjabi : 1. Rull tan gae aan! Per Chass aa Gae ai!, 2. Gal Pya Dhol Ty Wajana Penda ay.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    I always polish the piston crown with brasso polish to make it more slick - it slows down the carbon buildup activity on it.

btw the engine is new - and that much amount of soot on your piston looks pretty acceptable to me considering its an aircooled engine in a commuter motorcycle. And you did an excellent step to rotate and check the rings - they seal due to compression pressure buildup behind them. The piston ring grooves should be checked and cleaned whenever you take out the piston, Finally check ring gap in the bore and replace if required.

VERY NICE.
    thanks dear,, actually i did nt have any figures for how clearance settings as these bikes has no workshop manuals so i did nt checked them, btw if somebody knows the tolerance for the rings gap i shall be very thankful to him,,,

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

can anyone tell me whats the sie of the valves on Honda CD 70 and other chinese clones , also on Hond CD 100.

thanks

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

great work!

i still remember opening my first 2-stroke Honda engine........and doing lovely things to it.....lol

on a more serious note the piston crown has a lot of pitting on top of it most probably caused by detonation by excessive combustion compression ratio which is a consequence of excess carbon buildup..........but the carbon buildup looks fairly normal for your engine but this carbon can adversely effect the cooling of the engine as it draws heat from the combustion process and destroys the engine.......so the valve seats and piston crowns should be paid a keen amount of interest for the well being and longevity of the engine in question

if I were youI would have taken a light die grinder with a stiff foam attachment and bring to the finish of brushed aluminum or even a 3M scotch brite would have done the same job

the piston rings , ring lands and with the free piston ring gap should be checked and noted down somewhere important.

thank you.
    The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks dear for pointing it out,, i hardly thought of it,, so do u think i nweed to replace the piston of do what ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

no need for any replacement as after the service you didn't feel any loss of power or rough idling and the engine is 22k kms run which is practically nothing in engine years.

its just that things are once open go over everything thoroughly as they say "if a job is worth doing.......its worth doing right"

thank you.
    The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ok boys can anyone tell me what is the valve sizes of Honda CD 100 and Honda CD 70 ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ok guys today i measured the valves of cd 70 ,, the are also 23/20mm but their design is different ,, they are curved at the fact unlike the dhooms which are flat,,

if any one comes accross a cd 100 valves sizes do post them

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List