Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Xulfiqar

Thread: What sealant do u people use/prefer?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question What sealant do u people use/prefer?

hi as the topic suggests what sealant do u people prefer to be used apart form the gaskets when re attaching either the cylinder or head or crankcase sides ?

what i have observed/seen is that for base gasket and head most desi mechanics prefer 'CURIL'.. and for case attachements they prefer silicone..
    curil can work at temps of upto 400 degree F. not sure not but will confirm it..
    and silicone can work for upto 450 degrees..

another thing that i have observed is that most people on international/other forums recomend red silicone..
    after a bit of searching i found that the company that makes magic depoxi also makes red silicon that is made to bear more sever heat upto 650 Degrees F.

Thanks.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asjdsm View Post
    hi as the topic suggests what sealant do u people prefer to be used apart form the gaskets when re attaching either the cylinder or head or crankcase sides ?

what i have observed/seen is that for base gasket and head most desi mechanics prefer 'CURIL'.. and for case attachements they prefer silicone..
    curil can work at temps of upto 400 degree F. not sure not but will confirm it..
    and silicone can work for upto 450 degrees..

another thing that i have observed is that most people on international/other forums recomend red silicone..
    after a bit of searching i found that the company that makes magic depoxi also makes red silicon that is made to bear more sever heat upto 650 Degrees F.

Thanks.
    correct case sealant for aluminium cased engines is threebond 1104 - it remains pliable when set meaning it can contract and expand with heat/cool cycles, the curil becomes crystalline and hard and cracks with expansion.

silicone is not recommended as it is quite thick and cannot be compressed - it causes leaks as it tends to escape from the joint when tightened, its use is elsewhere where there are breathing holes provided like car oil sumps and some old engine tappet covers.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

as i mentioned that the mechanics in markets use these two either RTV silicon or curil,, but if they r not suitable what else options are here in pakistan,,they dont even seems to understand it,, they only knows of curil or silicon,, please can u mention a brand along with further info that's easily available in pakistan?

keeping it in mind that this would be used in comjunction with the paper gasket..

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List