99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Unhappy A rarely discussed topic - bike engine seals

Salam all. I want to discuss something that I have not seen on previous threads on PWs. Last year I went to muree on my cg125 classic 2008. One week after I came back the bike's engine oil started leaking from the left side. I had the seals changed from my local mechanic. 4 months later the seals again gave way and this time I got them changed from another mechanic. Now after 3 months again engine oil was dripping from left side. But this time I thought to buy original seals from a honda 5s dealer. Today when I went to change the seals the mechanic said that these seals will not fit your bike. He said your bike is old and you need over sized seals. The bike was already open so I had no option but to go with his seals. He says seals break after 5 to 6 months and that is normal in all bikes.
    I want to ask following questions:
    1. is there something called oversized seals? do older bikes have different seal sizes?
    2. is it normal to change engine seals after 5 or 6 months? This is the first time someone has said this to me!
    3. I asked a couple of other mechanics in my area and one said when bike gets very hot seals break and the other said if you wash your bike while it is hot then seals will break. Are they right?

Brothers I have very busy schedule and I am very fed up with this engine leaking. Kindly suggest a remedy. If my mechanic was lying about oversized seals then I am never going to him again.
    I am hoping that all bike riders would give their opinion.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHorn View Post
    Salam all. I want to discuss something that I have not seen on previous threads on PWs. Last year I went to muree on my cg125 classic 2008. One week after I came back the bike's engine oil started leaking from the left side. I had the seals changed from my local mechanic. 4 months later the seals again gave way and this time I got them changed from another mechanic. Now after 3 months again engine oil was dripping from left side. But this time I thought to buy original seals from a honda 5s dealer. Today when I went to change the seals the mechanic said that these seals will not fit your bike. He said your bike is old and you need over sized seals. The bike was already open so I had no option but to go with his seals. He says seals break after 5 to 6 months and that is normal in all bikes.
    I want to ask following questions:
    1. is there something called oversized seals? do older bikes have different seal sizes?
    2. is it normal to change engine seals after 5 or 6 months? This is the first time someone has said this to me!
    3. I asked a couple of other mechanics in my area and one said when bike gets very hot seals break and the other said if you wash your bike while it is hot then seals will break. Are they right?

Brothers I have very busy schedule and I am very fed up with this engine leaking. Kindly suggest a remedy. If my mechanic was lying about oversized seals then I am never going to him again.
    I am hoping that all bike riders would give their opinion.
    u r quite right its rarely discussed and topic.. though i posted a thread about this problem which i had and have..
    the temporary solution is to wash it then apply Red Silicon onto the area where the surfaces mate... red silicone is available for 45 rs and will be enough for 2 applications of ur right crankcase ..

the ppl that told u that seals needs to be changed after 5-6 months are right and wrong... they r right because the aftermarket gaskets are of poor quality paper type .. no good material is available.. so they are not upto the mark and after repeated cycles of heat and cold causes cracks in them...
    and those ppl are wrong if u use proper type of gaskets .. but they are not available..

my advise to u is,,
    wash ur bike,, open the case,, clean well the surfaces ,, apply red silicone on the mating surface .. put the gasket on it.. apply the silicone to the other face of the case... try not to put too much silicone .. else it would drab back into the engine and would cause a hell of problems .. so apply so that when the two surfaces are joined the drabs wont go out.. u need to guess/practise with this quantity needed..

then rejoin the cases and apply proper force to join them...

i assure u that u will never ever again see this problem in ur bike unless u open it back and rejoin it wrong way..

this red silicone is extremely resistant to temp it can bear quite high as well quite low ..
    its the best thing... in fact even u dont need the paper gasket thingy .. but its much better to have it...

i will post the pics of the silicone tube that i have .. sometime again.. its lying with me ... whenever i open it i will mend mine..

ask mechanic to do it this way .. and remember it should be done on cold engine and its better to not start it for at least 2-3 hours.. and best if left for 24 hours... after that period try to check if all the nuts are well tightened..

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@asjdsm - applying silicone seems to be good idea. Do upload pics of such DIY. Btw are you facing same problem? do you have to change seals after 6 months??

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yar silicon works wonders red one moslty used in gearbox seals try dat
    my Dad's vespa has this issue even seales are changed millons of times as its 78 model but after this slicon application problem solved even once i had a problem in my car one rubber boot war torn from one side and grease was leaking out i put this red silicon seal and it worked for 2 months till i got the time to change the boot
    Hanjiii Kaa Storeey Eehh !

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

brothers asjdsm and ekdrifter . are you guys suggesting to put the seals and then apply red silicon on top of seals or to not put seals at all and only red silicon ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@asjdsm - applying silicone seems to be good idea. Do upload pics of such DIY. Btw are you facing same problem? do you have to change seals after 6 months??
    yar once i tried o open right crank case and damaged the gasket with screwdriver ,, now still i m using it,,and keep in mind that it was ok earlier,, i will do this DIY on next oil change,,

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i suggest to apply red silione on both mating faces and place gasket between,, take care ka ziada na lag jay ,,, warna case k ander hi oil k sath mix hokay oil passages ko banda karay ga,,

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

red RTV silicone is not recommended to seal a motorcycle crankcase, its not tacky enough and slips out of the joint too.

Correct sealants are available, I used to buy them from Karachi marriot road. Threebond 1104 and 1209, they cost a lot but pay off in the long run, they are nonhardening, extremely tacky and can bear thermal expansion too. (thats what the factory used also)

For gaskets - if you buy genuine gasket made from good material they would be good, if they have become dry - put them in a bag along with a wet towel - the paper will absorb the moisture back and become new again.

For oil seals - firstly always use good quality oil seals, secondly note the seal, if it has radial grooves in which are backwards it will leak no matter what. Always use proper oil seals, if you cannot find them at your favorite motorcycle parts ki dukaan, go to a specialty oil seal shop (there are about 10 in karachi) to buy branded and quality items.

If the shaft you like to seal is grooved it wont seal. repair the item and polish it up with. Lastly always put a little grease in the spring cavity of the oil seal to ensure it does not pop out, and slowly press the seal onto the shaft and finally squarely seat in its boss. - large sockets or pieces of pipe are great for this.

If you face crankcase leaks often - check the flatness of the casing edges, smooth out with a pane of glass and emery paste. And be sure to use proper screws to tighten your engine cases, the cheap phillips head (+head) screws are garbage and require an impact driver to loosen and tighten, allen (socket) head screws are far more strong, pretty and their tools dont slip either.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks for the Threebond 1104 and 1209 ... actually i asked many mechanics and shopkeeprs neither seem to know it here in pindi .. so after a lot of searching on the net and forums i came to the conclusion that red silicone is excellant material..
    to op if u find this Threebond 1104 and 1209 then definitely go for it..
    else red is the best ..
    also as xulfiqar has recomended make sure the surfaces are flat not warped up...

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Xulfiqar - are such seals also available in Lahore

@ All - Btw i think my mechanic was lying, my bike is only 3 years old (2008 model) and about 25,000km driven. I dont think it would need oversized seals that soon/ what do you guys think??

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

wat u mean by oversized seals?
    where r they used?
    my previous reply was regarding gaskets,, r u talking abou something else?
    if u mean gaskets ,, how they need to be oversized?
    did u bikes crankcase just got fatter ,,cauze it may be of zardari era?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

dun apply silicons on side covers of engines cz they will ruin the magnet and coil inside that cover

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asjdsm View Post
    wat u mean by oversized seals?
    where r they used?
    my previous reply was regarding gaskets,, r u talking abou something else?
    if u mean gaskets ,, how they need to be oversized?
    did u bikes crankcase just got fatter ,,cauze it may be of zardari era?
    there are seals to prevent engine oil from leaking. These are on the left side on the bike. Remove the left side of the engine. Now you can see the magnet of bike. Behind this magnet is a seal that is leaking engine oil. To replace that you get a set of seals for rs.120
    I am talking about these seals. The mechanic said your bike needs oversized seals for this. I suspect there is no such thing as oversized seals for this. That is why i asked the question here.
    I hope now you know what I am talking about.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

so u i m sory i assumed it to be gaskets,,.. then u dont need to apply the silicone,,
    and these seals not meant to be replaced so often,,,
    just make sure the holes are not warped up,, measure them,, please try to post pics of the problems that would help avoid any confusion as those mechanics use strange vocabulary,,

please try posting its pics,,

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asjdsm View Post
    so u i m sory i assumed it to be gaskets,,.. then u dont need to apply the silicone,,
    and these seals not meant to be replaced so often,,,
    just make sure the holes are not warped up,, measure them,, please try to post pics of the problems that would help avoid any confusion as those mechanics use strange vocabulary,,

please try posting its pics,,
    brother now the new seals are in place. but when they will need replacement I will surely take some pics.
    but to give u an idea, go to mechanic and say that engine oil is leaking from left side of cg125. he will give u a set of seals 'challa'. From this you can see which seals I am talking about

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

where are our expert brothers?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

there are seals to prevent engine oil from leaking. These are on the left side on the bike. Remove the left side of the engine. Now you can see the magnet of bike. Behind this magnet is a seal that is leaking engine oil. To replace that you get a set of seals for rs.120
    I am talking about these seals. The mechanic said your bike needs oversized seals for this. I suspect there is no such thing as oversized seals for this. That is why i asked the question here.
    I hope now you know what I am talking about.
    If your motorcycle engine is leaking oil from the seal behind the magneto and its a new seal - its not the seals fault but the shaft is running askew, most probably because the mechanic did not use a puller to remove the magneto and used a hammer on it.

The only correct remedy is to remove the crankshaft and align the crankwheels again using a dial gauge and the crank spinning on a lathe (not the chacha jee eyballing it) Be sure to lock the crankpin with bearinglock compound.

If the seal is hardened to hell - replace it - remove it with a "cut screw" and pull it out, when replacing use a pipe over teh crankshaft axle and tap it home. If the seal boss is gouged you may use a tiny bit of silicone.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by xulfiqar View Post
    if your motorcycle engine is leaking oil from the seal behind the magneto and its a new seal - its not the seals fault but the shaft is running askew, most probably because the mechanic did not use a puller to remove the magneto and used a hammer on it.

The only correct remedy is to remove the crankshaft and align the crankwheels again using a dial gauge and the crank spinning on a lathe (not the chacha jee eyballing it) be sure to lock the crankpin with bearinglock compound.

If the seal is hardened to hell - replace it - remove it with a "cut screw" and pull it out, when replacing use a pipe over teh crankshaft axle and tap it home. If the seal boss is gouged you may use a tiny bit of silicone.
    یار جب میکینک حظرات ایک پراپر ٹول کی بجائے ہتوڑی اور پیچکس استمعال کرتے ہیں تو سیل کی جہگیں ٹیڑی میڑی ہو جاتی ہیں ۔ ۔۔۔
    اور جب وہ ہتوڑا استمعال کرتے ہیں تو مجے سخت غصہ آتا ہے ان پر۔۔۔
    لیکن کیا کریں ۔۔ کتے کی دم سو سال کینجو تب بھی ٹھیڑی ہی رہتی ہے۔۔

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    If your motorcycle engine is leaking oil from the seal behind the magneto and its a new seal - its not the seals fault but the shaft is running askew, most probably because the mechanic did not use a puller to remove the magneto and used a hammer on it.

The only correct remedy is to remove the crankshaft and align the crankwheels again using a dial gauge and the crank spinning on a lathe (not the chacha jee eyballing it) Be sure to lock the crankpin with bearinglock compound.

haha dial guage tho kharadiya ka paas bhi mnahi hoga,,,,anyhow,, the way u outlined is proper way but unfortunately it is not practised,,

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar - yes that is the place oil is leaking from. What surprises me is that I have been using this mechanic for a year and he lies to me for just r.120 by saying that over sized seals needed to installed. now i find that there is no such thing as oversized seals for this area
    i am very disappointed. It looks like our awam is waiting for any chance to cheat just to make a few rupees

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List