Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default AUTO PICTURE BEYOND WAGAH BORDER

Hello,

I would like to start a new post, wherein, I wish to come up with AUTO news and state of auto industry, auto development and products, market values from this side of the border.

If you people are really interested, only then I could get along with this post.

This post would be exclusively for those people who are really interested to know about the auto scene here.
    Upwards Onwards, when the going gets tough the Tough gets going.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

CARS

Before 1983 there were only three licenced car makers in India. These were :-

1) Hindustan Motors making Ambassdor cars and Trekker jeeps
    2) Premier Motors making Padmini ( Fiat 1100) cars
    3) Standard Motors making Standard Gazel cars.

Then came the state owned Maruti car ( Old design ) and changed everything for the coming times. It was a brain child of Late Sanjay Gandhi ( second son of Indira Gandhi ) who wanted India to have a latest car for the masses. For this he went shopping everywhere like Volksvagon, Fiat, Diahtsu and Suzuki. All these car makers except for Suzuki were reluctant to share their 2nd generation car technology and ready to dispense away their older gen cars only.

Thus Suzuki came helping and there came the car of masses for just Rs. 49,000/- per car but deriving a hot premium of Rs. 50,000/- extra for each delivery. In those days a Fiat Padmini 1100 car was priced at 85,000/- and still the Public went for a Maruti 800 due to its latest design, technology and high fuel efficiency. It was a craze.
    Initially the old model was produced as CKD units, meanwhile the Company created its infrastructure to produce the present day Maruti 800 ( Mehran type ). in June/July 1986 the present day Maruti 800 was launched with an over 65% indignisation levels. Technical collaborations were entered in every department of the car like for Electicals Denso, Shockers/structs with Showa, Glass with Asahi glass. Also almunium Radiators, steering systems, dashboards/bumpers, instrument panels, suspension parts etc. In each field the respective component supplier in Japan collaborated with Indian companies giving them an edge to produce all the Maruti needs. By 1995 Maruti was a 100 % Indian product.

Then came other models like Gypsy, Zen, 1000 later called 1300 Esteem and then an array of new models like Baleno, Versa, Wagon R. Grand Vitara and now Swift.

I do remember when Suzuki was so much adament to not to transfer the gear box technology as it felt at that time ( somewhere in 1994-95 ) it would drift the comany out of its technological upperhand. But it was proved wrong and later in the coming times Maruti's Gurgaon base came to be a Research & Development base for Suzuki for small cars. A lot of research was carried out in India about developing the Swift car and also the redesigning of Zen car was exclusively done at Gurgaon only with a cost of Rs. 620 crores which includes designing, tooling, and actual production.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

PREMIER MOTORS

They were there since 1950s and making the famous FIAT 1100 (old model with front doors opening from A Piller side) and later updated that model to Premier Padmani ( Bombay Taxi ).

They were ruling the Indian auto market without any hitch as HM's Ambassdor had an alltogether different clientile ( Govt departments/Delhi-calcutta Taxi/ and some die hard Ambassdor fans, especially big families ). The other car maker Standard Motors were churning out their Gazel car in small quantities and their domain was restricted to South Indian cities and that too among Ladies as that car was considered something for the lady type )

Then came the Maruti and things started changing at PAL and soon they realised to update the model with FIAT's new car. There came the dies/jigs/moulds for FIAT Lada type car in 1985. But PAL sourced the engine design from Nissan and named the car as Premier 118 NE. It was a runaway succuss but the company could keep quality or worksmanship issue with suspension parts of the car and slowly the car gave away to Maruti 800 and later to Maruti Zen. Desprated, PAL tried their luck with FIAT Uno Diesel. They were astonished to receive a booking from over 6 lac. prospective customers.

To PAL's badluck, there emerged a big strike in its plant led by that time trade union stalwart Dutta Samant. It was alleged that there was a difinite Maruti hand in the whole episode. Later Dutta Samant was shot dead by some unknown person.

But the strike had done so much damage to PAL that they could never come out of red after that. The company failed to keep up with deliveries and in an effort to speed up production the quality aspect was also ignored to some extent. The real issue came up with petrol models as deliveries of petrol model started first. There was some problem with the weber type carburetter of 1.2 Uno petrol car, as you race the accelrator, the car faced some blank before actually getting pace.

But this issue seriously affected the reputation of UNO and people rushed to get their booking amounts refunded as if PAL has gone bankrupt.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Shergill
    What does "Dtsi" stands for in Bajaj Bikes ? Is this term represents some specific technolgy or model etc ?
    Exploring Machines is my Passion...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ imranbhatti

Dtsi stands for Digital twin spark ignition configration of Bajaj Pulsar and Discover motorcycle engines.

I will come up with exact definition very soon but I have read it many a times and it exactly related to two spark plugs technology for a single cylinder engine.

Bajaj has already perfected it and it is a standard feature on all Pulsars ( 150 and 180 ) and Discover 125 bikes

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Shergill
    Thanx for ur quick reponse. One more question, is there any 800CC car made by Suzuki/Maruti having Efi engine?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ imranbhatti

Thanx for your interest Bhatti,

Infact, pollution norms are very strict here and infact even more stringent than even many developed countries.

Present standard is Euro III norms which require all cars to atleast have MPFi or Efi technlogy.

Maruti 800, Alto, Zen, Esteem, etc allhave Mpfi engines ( Multi point fuel injection systems ). There is no room for any carburetted engine in any car as it will not be allowed to get registered anywhere in India.

Even our Old ambassdor has an mpfi engine.

Please also tell me if Bhattis in Pakistan are Jatts or Rajputs.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

as per my knowledge Bhatti's are Rajput's...Right Mr Bhatti?
    75% of earth is covered by water... the rest by Jeep
    www.brokenknucklegarage.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanx akifjanjua

Infact, here inNorth India Bhatti is a common surname ( Gotra ) among Rajputs and some Jatt clans.

I've learnt that there are Cheema, Bajwa, Chahal, Tiwana etc many surnames of Jatts in Pakistani Punjab.

Myself being a Jatt find too much interest in out fraternity out there.

Could anyone help sharing information about this aspect ?

I shall be grateful for the gesture.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Its realy a gr8 & good step by Indian Govt. if all the new cars regestring should be MPfi. So what about the old & Vintage Cars are the allow to run on road or they have to change their Feul systems ?

Bhattis in Pakistan r having both casts (Jatt & Rajput)
    But mostly native are Jatt & migrated after partition are Rajputs. This is not a pet formula but according to my observation it is like that.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Akif
    As per my knowledge janjuas r also rajputs.
    Ok lets finish this discusion about casts might be other members are not intrested in it & the main thing is that the forum is for Auto mobiles discussion.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanx Bhatti

The new Euro III norms are for new cars before Registration. Old cars are allowed to roam as it is but not the commercial ones.

Taxi, Commercial Passanger vehicles ( Truck/Bus/ Jeep/Car) are not allowed to renew their registration papers and all those vehicles are getting scrapped in junkyards.

Infact, it was a clever policy by Auto makers to inflate their sales figures but it helped us positively in two ways.

First, it got us rid from old machinary drinking a lot of precious fuel, then polluting the environment

Secondly, it made the Economy boom with money getting circulated properly.

Nowadays, there is a trend to not keep any car more than 4-5 years. Cars are changing hands at regular intervals and by the time a car has attained 8-10 years of age it is getting routed to the junkyard/ rolling mills.

Thus giving way for new cars. Actually, there is no taker or very few buyers for cars born before the year 2000. Resale values of cars older than 5 years are at lowest.

You could pick a Maruti 2000 model in very good condition for just Rs. 70-80 Thousand Rupees. 1995-98 models are getting rotton for anything between 30 to 60 Thousand Rupees. only.

The scene is even worse for bigger cars as anybody canhave a vey good Baleno 2000 model for Rs. Rs. 1,75,000/- only. Or a Honda City 1999 model could be yours for Rs. 2,25,000/- only

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Shergill

I am advising can u please come on 27th Sunday or any other day At wahgah Border at Flag Ceremony so we can meet there..... Wha ek point hay jha hum hardly 5 feet door hogay........ n we can talk there too......
    In love with my Nissan Altima 3.5 litre 260HP Manual Edition..............

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hello,

I hope some day in Pakistan it is also implemented that vehciles of 19XX will not be cleared fitness test.

So Far only LAW exist, but there is no implementation. The current status is that law is applied only on Passenger buses.

Chandigarh and Wagah are quiet far apart my dear friend, its not Lahore ~ Wagah.
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Saifi007

Great idea brother. I think on this birthday you are blessed with newton ideas.

I am amazed that why not such a good idea come to mind ever.

Very soon I would be visiting Amritsar and I will inform you people in advance before coming to witness Flag ceremony.

Great idea brother.

We will meet there waving hands to each other.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Shergill
    What you think about $2000 Tata car, any future?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ r1zwan

Infact, TATA's never waste money on anything impractical.

They spend a lot of money on just assessing the market before they really get into serious thinking about any project.

Rs. 1 lakh car or $ 2000 car is not an impossible feat as you would be amazed to know that average cost of a Maruti 800 car is just Rs. 35,000/- here and after 300% plus profit margin per car they sell it around 1,91,000/- ( inclusive of all govt. taxes, levies, octroies etc )

Yesterday, the TATAs showcased the prototype of their new car , which is a very modern looking car with a 700cc petrol engine in the rear of the car. (2007 model ) and a diesel 700 cc engine for the 2008 model is already doing duty in TATA's last commercial success ACE one tonner pickup.

The site for the plant has already been chosen in West Bengal and you know every State Govt tried its level best to woo TATAs to set the plant in their respective states. But WBengal won the Baazi this time.

The actual price figures by the launch time would be around 1,25,000/- approx.

No doubt TATA always come up with dependable and successful products only. They never let their product get bad name, how much for that purpose they have to spend.

Maruti has already signelled about reducing the 800 cc car models prices by around 30-40 % by the time TATA come up with their new car in early 2007.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ SHERGILL
    Thanx buddy for apriciating my idea.....
    So we are waiting........
    In love with my Nissan Altima 3.5 litre 260HP Manual Edition..............

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It just occured in my mind that people here in India prefer local products for better resale value, availability of spare parts in every nook and corner of the country and above all the local technology has been proven better a number of times.

TATA 407 indegenious LCV drove away all the Japanese LCV makers and captured the overall market in just two years 1986-1988. TATA Sumo captured the overall Taxi market and MUV market driving away Maruti Omni Van, Tempo's Matador van, Maruti's Gypsy etc in 1991.

Mahindra's Jeeps, Balero, Scorpio, Utility pickups and many other vehicles have settled for a niche for themselves in the market and their is no replacement there.

Toyota could not compete with Mahindra Scorpio, TATA Sumo, Safari, Belero in MUV section and had to withdraw their Qualis MUV due to cost reasons.

There is no visible competitor for TATA indica, Indigo cars due to high fuel efficiency ( 18 to 22 kmpl of diesel fuel )

Above all, all these vehicles are getting world class each passing day with these companies coming up with routine improvements every 3 to 6 months.

Even the spare parts dealers could not keep pace with ever changing/improving parts of these vehicles.

I remember one dealer saying " Sardarji aajkal koi bhi dukandaar agar 1 crore kaa bhi maal rakh ley tobhi sare spare parts purey nahin kar sakta"

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ saifi 007

Very soon I will inform you but it willbe difficult for me to come on last days of month as it is closing period of the month for my company.

I am rather free in the first week of month.

Jaldi milangey.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I must congratulate Shergill on this excellent post.

Can you tell us something about the Ambassador???

Ive heard from Indian friends here in UK that its pretty expensive...contrary to what I had assumed. Its only kept by ministers etc....

Which car was the Ambassador originally??? Fiat????

Regards.
    If there are no Beetles in heaven, Im not going!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

User Tag List