Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default AUTO PICTURE BEYOND WAGAH BORDER

Hello,

I would like to start a new post, wherein, I wish to come up with AUTO news and state of auto industry, auto development and products, market values from this side of the border.

If you people are really interested, only then I could get along with this post.

This post would be exclusively for those people who are really interested to know about the auto scene here.
    Upwards Onwards, when the going gets tough the Tough gets going.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanx for complement AsadIshaque

Infact, Ambassdor is a no mean product as you people out there see.

It is a big car boasting of a Euro III ready MPFI 1800 petrol mill with all synchromesh 5+1 gear box unit. And a diesel turbo 1995 engine with a matching gear box.

AC, Heater, Power steering, power windows, leather seats etc all comes standard.

Hindustan Motors ( A Birla Group company ) has been producing Amby since 1955 and before that they were importing its Parent car MORRIS and Baby Hindustan from UK.

Ambassdor is a proven workhorse and an insignia of POWER and Ruling class. It is just like Khadi for any Politician, Adminsitrator, Director and any Powerful officer in India.

Nobody dares to stop a white furling Ambassdor on road.

Earlier ( before 1983 ) The HM would just come up with cosmetic changes with marking the car as Mark I, II, III and Mark IV. with no changes in the internal organs.

But then things changed after that. The old Morris OHV petrol engine was dispensed away making way for the all new HM Isszu 1800 cc electronic ignition engine with matching gear box in 1988. Then came the diesel Unit and so many other changes on regular intervals in the form of NOVA, ISZ 1800, Grand etc

All its steering geomatery, axles, brakes, suspension have been changed expect for the unique shape, which die hard fans would never allow like the Enfield Bullet standard. Earlier Top European firms like Richards, Le mans etc were hired to replace the aging technology of above mentioned departments and now the local R&D section is doing all the regular changes in the form of adding catalyitic convertors, AC/heaters/power steering,power windows redesigning crample Zones, each member, panels, cross members, pillers, bonnet,boot lid, running boards, locks, electricals, instruments panels, bumper zones, fuel tank, boot space etc to come up with the present day manufacturing processes and present technology parameters.

Dont be amazed to know that all Ambassdors produced now ( around 1800 units each month ) are Euro III pollution norms ready )

Contessa classic introduced in 1985 as its successor even tired away by 1998-99 and it is available on orders only. But our old ambassdor is still there.

So you could conjure up the status and present state of technological level of an Ambassdor.

It is exported to UK, Japan , Australia, New Zealand and USA to retro car lovers.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Some pics from my trip in March...Just a beautiful thing to watch. I highly reccmmend it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Some pics from my trip in March...Just a beautiful thing to watch. I highly reccmmend it.

AUTO PICTURE  BEYOND WAGAH BORDER -645105

AUTO PICTURE  BEYOND WAGAH BORDER -645106

AUTO PICTURE  BEYOND WAGAH BORDER -645107

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice pictures

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Mahindra story
    Mahindra & Mahindra were net importers of willy CJ3B universal jeeps and International Tractors in 1950-60s and then owing to high demands they started assembling the Jeep in Bombay and gradually locallised all its parts well before 1970s. Learning from their experiences with the jeep making and selling they went into full manufacturing of International B275 40 hp tractors and locallised it 100% injust 4 years.

After 1973 petroleum crisis they had to resort to diesel options for their jeep. They had already stretched the 84 inch chassis of CJ3B jeep to 91 inches and now it is time for a diesel mill to make it worthy enough to be in the market especially the Govt. departments and the rural India.

Also, for hills and terrain it was the only option among Indian masses as well all the Govt departments.

It occured to Mahindra Engineers well before 1980s to adapt the International Tractor IDI 4 cylinder diesel engine for the jeep while retaining the transmission setup as it was. All they needed to do is about the fuel pump governer modification to deal with the upper rpm level. Also a heavier and bigger clutch plate was taken to handle the high torque character of this diesel engine.

It was a runaway success among rural masses and above all now it is very easy to repair/service overhaul a diesel jeep with a Tractor engine.

Continued

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Continued from last post

In the wake of Japenese technology coming into cars like Maruti in 1982-83 there was a great rush at that period among Indian Auto makers to either infuse new technology or improve upon the existing models.

Mahindras came up with an all new project to make their so called MM 540 jeep ( CJ 7 styled ). Now first of all all they did is to tie up with Peugeot of France for a 2000 cc Plus diesel engine which could be really termed as a Jeep engine rather than continuing with the aging IH Tractor IDI diesel unit.

For the transmission gear box they tied up with Kia of Korea as their CJ3B gear box was found to be too small and mismatching tohandle the high torque of IH unit. also it had only 3 forward gears making it unsuitable for a diesel engine.

The Kia 4+1 gear box was a bulky unit with heavier gear cogs and synchromesh on all forwards. The setup was a matching affair and the drive train was tested on a 91 inches Mahindra jeep well before it could be mounted on the new project vehicle.

Now the MM540 project faced another problem, as Mahindra had originally tied up with AMC ( US company holding the Jeep brand in those days ) and in mid 80s the jeep brand has changed hands and AMC was no longer at the helm of affairs with the jeep. At that time the die/mould making industry was not much developed here( as far as automobile is concerned ) and thus they hired Sumitumo corporation of Japan to make dies/jigs and presses for the 540 jeep. It has two front doors with car like door glass lifting mechanism, a Centre piller, P.U. Canopy etc. With a new Peugeot engine was swift, silent, refined and above all due to CJ7 styling it was a smart enough for the young people also.

It was a big success competing successfully with the Maruti Gypsy ( Potohor in Pakistan ) and accepted by all and sundry. Rural and suburban families adopted as a family car, roomy and stylish, front bucket seats came as standard. Govt departments accepted it as a state vehicle with a Roplas fibreglass body. Youth found it suitable for style with broad tyres and canopy removed.

Mahindra story continues

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

nice info
    I'm a freak who lost his mind in the busy world of today and takes his frustration by being funny with others

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ portage1

Thanx brother,

Infact, I felt that there is so much being talked about what is happening in India nowdays. Nobody knew how the Indian auto industry went through and evolved to the present day scene.

As narrating the history of Indian auto industry would definately serve the purpose of a post trying to answer many a question among auto lovers there and all around clicking Pakwheels.com buttons.

Also, it helps me freshen up my memories as I have been going through auto magazines since 1985 or so . It also makes me get into net digging and tuning pages of old magazine /books / owners manuals of Indian vehicles to bring to light a genuine picture of auto mobiles here.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@shergill
    Which iz the most famous or i must say hot cake brand in india as in pakistan toyota corolla n suzuki's. ??

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ skybolturs

Infact, there is no single hot selling brand here at least for now.

Earlier (5-10 years ago ) it was always Maruti models ranging from Maruti 800, Zen, Esteem, Alto, etc. but now the scene has changed dramatically and keeping a car model hot cake for any longer than 6 to 10 months is almost impossible for any manufacturure here.

TATA Indica has been selling well for the last 6-7 years, Mahindra Bolero was sold like hot cakes in 1999-2002 till Scorpio replaced it and I am glad to tell that Mahindra Scorpio is still selling very well and commands a highest after sales value ( resale value ).

No doubth Toyota cars are good but even then not many buyers for the Toyota Corolla or the Camery. Indeed Innova is selling well. Its Qualis was a sought after MUV and had settled for a very good position in the market but amazingly they phased out it prematurely,

Skoda Octavia is doing very well for the last 4 years and still going strong.

Ford Ikon faired well between 2000 to 2002 only and now its Fiesta is a hot selling model but the hot character is lost somewhere within just 5 months of its launch.

HM Mitubishi lancer is a consistent player with evergreen character till now.

Maruti Swift could not create the magic as expected but it is still selling around 9000 units per month. Some people like it very much and others hate it in the same manner.

There is no taker for Fiat Palio, Adventrue Sienna etc

Hyundai Santro is also a consistent player but its Accent CRDI was considered very hot anywhere between 2002 to 2005 but now its sales has dwindled to a great extent and the resale value has nosedived inthe last one year or so.

GM opel cars are a rejected lot. Astra, Corsa Sail, swing and even optra earned the ire of general public for money wasting excercise. Its Tavera MUV is the only one to hold ground that too due to untimely phasing out of Toyota Qualis by Toyota.

TATA Sumo and Safari are also getting the heat due to Scorpio and Tavera in the market. While the Indigo is doing good in the market but not as much what TATA expected. Infact Indigo has no serious competition in the market.

Volkswagon is coming up with a new car plant this year and let us see what magic its cars would create in the market. But it is sure that its cars would be trusted for quality as with Skoda ( Skoda has German inputs )

TATA' Rs. 1 lakh car will also be available by 2007 and there is much hype already created about this car. Let us wait for its launch.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Let us forget everything and let Indica say what she likes.

Let her be a self styled winner.

I find no harm accepting her as a better and educated person than myself and as she claimed she knows better than me.

Well my intention to have this post is give provide a first hand knowledge about what is prevailing in the market and what market feedback we receive directly from Car dealers, second car market and the customers.

I really feel bad for getting into an argument with so called Indica. I declare her a clear winner provided she accepts not to interfare in this post again.

This way we could save this post from being ruined

I also request admn to delete unwanted replies including that of mine to make this post somewhat objective.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Can we stop this INDIAN Thread? between the 2 individuals.

What bearing does it have on US locals. Let alone a debate between Indica & Shergill.

None of the cars manufactured in India have any significant user value to PAKISTAN market unless otherwise market is open. Neither their performance make any DENT to users here, else the comparison.

Am Glad I found about YEZDI Origin - and I will try and restore the one in my back yard. It belonged to my Grand father and he was allowed to bring that as personal baggage when Pakistan Mission was closed in New Delhi before 1971 war.

I still remember her Engine Sound, which was close to tune of Triumph Tiger Cub.
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ capsat

Quoting you:
    ''Can we stop this INDIAN Thread?''

You seem to have some problem with Shergill being from India?????? Are you sooooo myopic and intolerant of your neighbours that you just cant stand the INDIAN brothers??????

You have yet to see the world and come out of the dreamland you live in. Behaving like a 5 year old kid!! You should learn to be tolerant of others. Besides its nice of him to post stuff here. Very nice. If you have ever been out of country you will learn that INDIANS can and are your nicest friends besides Pakistanis and other people from the region. Break the shell around you. The worlds a small place and a global village.

I hope NOT that with a few people like you PAKISTANIS are seen as intolerant idiots by the whole world which is exactly the picture you are potraying!! Keep your views and comments to yourself. I feel sickened by your childish comments.

Moreover, quoting you again:

''What bearing does it have on US locals''

And then in the next line you say.....

''Am Glad I found about YEZDI Origin .......''

So you contradict yourself, Mister!! You already have made a fool out of yourself!!! See even an idiot like you derived some benefit from his posts.........so you see a reason why Shergill and other INDIANS should post?????

@ Shergill and other Indian brothers n sisters

Please continue with your posts and ignore characters like capsat......there are a few ignorant black sheep who must be discouraged!!

Peace!!

PS: If you still think you are right Mr capsat, just see how many people on Pakwheels support your views!!
    If there are no Beetles in heaven, Im not going!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Mr. Ishaque

Glad it took you 3 days to compose a reply.

Quiet youthful attitude, like street brats, who wake up 3 days after being high.

read back the threads. It was a useless debate between Indica and Shergill to which I pointed about.

Also - I stand by my questions. What bearing does the indian auto industry and their performance, have on local pakistan market.

I would not respond further in this respect. Am not allowed to sink myself low.

Cheers!
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Capsat

At the very outset, I would request for peace all around.

Capsat, you seems to be taking the Rose from thorny side my dear. You just want to throw the Dictionary, coz you have got the word and you do not need it anymore.

Moreover, I started this thread to tell my point of view about the Indian Auto Industry, Its past, present and what is coming ahead.

There is no reason looking forward to use this piece of information vis-a-vis Indian cars coming to Pakistani in near future.

There are some people who are interested in this information in one way or the other. Like you were looking for Yezdi, you found it and that all. But still there could be many mores for some other information.

I am not a versed Historian and I could not be 100% right as far as telling my part of the story. But it brings my knowledge into check of others and they could rightfully stop me or even they may admonish me for unauthenticated information et el.

Infact, somebody asked about the hot selling car models here and I explained the scene as I knew. Somebody objected to a particular model's success and there started a debate.

I rather would like to regret for getting involved into the rift without any reason.

Anyway, never mind.

@ AsadIshaque

Thanx for your support brother.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Capsat

I was expecting something of this sort from you!!

It did not take me 3 days to compose the reply, rather it was just over 3 minutes! People have lives to lead which means they are not on the www 24/7!!! Just came across your post while browsing over the weekend and shared my thoughts.

You call my attitude youthful…….if mine is youthful then you aren’t even born yet!
    At 35 years of age we expect you to be more mature and sensible. You should learn to be an ambassador of peace on the World Wide Web rather than childishly pointing towards peoples’ nationality and proclaiming that to be a reason for them not to post.

And you’re the one who seems to be on a high (or low for that matter!). You just posted the same reply TWICE! Did you imagine you were seeing double and thus ignored the second post????

I don’t need to read back the thread which I had been following btw. Perhaps you need to rejoin you English Language classes at school:

Quote:
    ‘’ What bearing does it have on US locals. Let alone a debate between Indica & Shergill.’’

If you still don’t see my point, my sympathies for your language skills. You did not refer ONLY to the debate between Shergill and Indica, you were referring to the ENTIRE thread.

And for that matter debates do arise every now and then all over Pakwheels or on any discussion board/forum for that matter. People disagree and argue. Its just natural to have different opinions and be human.

On what grounds do you ‘’stand by’’ your questions??? Everyone has derived at least some benefit from this thread, even you!! And worthy members who put regular POSITIVE input into Pakwheels have backed it all the way if you care to notice!

And since the Indian Auto Industry is more developed than ours and turns out lower priced cars, perhaps we can study their example and improve our own performance???? Hows that for a BEARING Mr capsat???

The beauty of having a hobby is it brings you closer to people from all over the world. I for one have friends in the USA, UK, Malaysia, Brazil, Canada, Bangladesh etc. All Volkswagen enthusiasts like myself. We sometimes exchange p-mails over various political and social issues and I’m proud to say here that I have done my bit to clear many glaring and sometimes amusing misconceptions people have about our beloved Pakistan. And I have learnt much along the way.

But yours is a classic case of how an ignorant fool lives inside his own shell and only sinks further in the crap already surrounding him. A closed mind just rots and stinks!!

Had you had an open attitude you could have learnt a lot more about grandpa's Yezdi bike and managed to get it up and running easily as a tribute to the departed soul.
    Instead you let it rust in your backyard as you're too proud to ask questions from your neighbours!

Its excellent that we will not see any more of you here!! Thank you!! You had no legs to stand upon so you beat a hasty retreat??? We have wasted enough space on Pakwheels already.

And just add an ‘’er’’ to your second last word. That would be more appropriate!!!

Peace!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You are most welcome brother Shergill!!

Now with the ranting gentleman (hopefully) out of the way can we please get back to the interesting subject again?

Regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks Asad

I will be concentrating of each company's history and how they evoloved.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AUTO PICTURE  BEYOND WAGAH BORDER -646904