Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Help and Guidance Required From Bike Community

Salam brothers.
    I wanted advice or you can say information regarding bike, as nearly everyone here Masha Allah has experience with bikes and have had their share of different bikes over the years. Im still the owner of first bike which is a CD 70 1999 model (25k - 30k driven). This was mostly a college going vehicle and after that for 4 years or more has been in storage. Ive recently decided to get it into a drivable condition to enjoy that feeling of riding a bike once again, but since it has been 4 years that Ive not started it im hesitant to start it in the fear of the engine might seize up. This information was given to me by a friend of mine that dont start it it will seize up , you have to get the engine rebuilt etc etc.

Now the question or rather the advice i need is.

1. Should i just go ahead and start it up (no damage will be done?)
    2. Should drain the old oil and put in new and start it ?
    3. Get the engine rebuilt or overhauled (dont know what to call it)

Please need the bike community to help me on this.

"Spending money I don't have, to buy parts I don't need, to impress people I don't know!". Politicians & Diapers need to be changed... often for the same reason

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 3nigma View Post
    Salam brothers.
    I wanted advice or you can say information regarding bike, as nearly everyone here Masha Allah has experience with bikes and have had their share of different bikes over the years. Im still the owner of first bike which is a CD 70 1999 model (25k - 30k driven). This was mostly a college going vehicle and after that for 4 years or more has been in storage. Ive recently decided to get it into a drivable condition to enjoy that feeling of riding a bike once again, but since it has been 4 years that Ive not started it im hesitant to start it in the fear of the engine might seize up. This information was given to me by a friend of mine that dont start it it will seize up , you have to get the engine rebuilt etc etc.

Now the question or rather the advice i need is.

1. Should i just go ahead and start it up (no damage will be done?)
    2. Should drain the old oil and put in new and start it ?
    3. Get the engine rebuilt or overhauled (dont know what to call it)

Please need the bike community to help me on this.
    All you need to do is remove the spark plug and insert a couple droplets of fresh engine oil inside the cylinder to lube it up. Once the oil is there, keep the plug removed and slowly push the kick start lever. This will help coat/lube the entire cylinder with a light film of oil. Once done, put the plug back in, start it and enjoy it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Change the engine oil
    Change the spark plug
    Involve a a mechanic and tell him to start it with u
    After start up chq the lights ,tyres condition , abnormal sounds, brakes any leakge ...............then go a head to enjoy
    What an Idea SIR G.......

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank for the reply, brother , i was planning to flush out the old oil out and put in fresh oil too , the old oil would be mucky and sticky instead of slippery. i will try your method.

Any other brother wants to add or have another suggestion?
    "Spending money I don't have, to buy parts I don't need, to impress people I don't know!". Politicians & Diapers need to be changed... often for the same reason

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank for the reply, brother , i was planning to flush out the old oil out and put in fresh oil too , the old oil would be mucky and sticky instead of slippery. i will try your method.

Any other brother wants to add or have another suggestion?
    If the old oil has been used up previously (completed mileage) then it would certainly be a good idea to replace the oil with fresh new one. However, do not forget to put in a few droplets of fresh oil inside the cylinder to avoid the liner from getting scratched up. Replace oil filter and air filter along the way as well.

I also believe there is a slight possibility of the carburetor being gummed up, provided the carburetor was not drained out before storage. For that you'll most definitely need a mechanics help. You could confirm this by unscrewing the float bowl drain screw, located at the bottom of the carburetor. If fuel spills out, you could consider the carburetor good and hence all you will need is fresh new oil, emphasis again on a few droplets inside the spark plug hole before kicking it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Synchrony View Post
    If the old oil has been used up previously (completed mileage) then it would certainly be a good idea to replace the oil with fresh new one. However, do not forget to put in a few droplets of fresh oil inside the cylinder to avoid the liner from getting scratched up. Replace oil filter and air filter along the way as well.

I also believe there is a slight possibility of the carburetor being gummed up, provided the carburetor was not drained out before storage. For that you'll most definitely need a mechanics help. You could confirm this by unscrewing the float bowl drain screw, located at the bottom of the carburetor. If fuel spills out, you could consider the carburetor good and hence all you will need is fresh new oil, emphasis again on a few droplets inside the spark plug hole before kicking it.
    Waoh alot of technical stuff that went above my head, bro like i said im a novice when it comes to bike stuff. Well i have thought about it and well the best idea i came up was that i load it on a pickup and take it to a honda service center.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I forgot to mention this in earlier post , one of my esteemed idiotic neighbor tried and kick started it , well i dont know if any damage is done but the bike started up. Foul smell made me turn it off , tires are flat so as mentioned above pickup would be the way i would be looking at.

i hope that the smell is not something to worry about and is just the petrol left in it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

bro pour few drops of oil in cylinder by removing plug.move kick to lubricate the piston .put plug back and then start it .its better to drain old oil and dnt wory about that smell.petrol if kept in tank for long time makes a white layer of smelly component.atleast it happend with me when i opened carb of my bike standing for long time
    legend will revive soon

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Waoh alot of technical stuff that went above my head, bro like i said im a novice when it comes to bike stuff. Well i have thought about it and well the best idea i came up was that i load it on a pickup and take it to a honda service center.
    The guide mentioned was for novices (I believed), technicals that ought to go over your top would be cam durations, piston ring placements, stroking, big bores etc.

Now since the bike is up and running, there is not much left to worry about. Instead you could look forward to riding it and for this, you could somewhat be thankful of the neighbor. I'm sure the instant the bike started up, there were a number of concerns that must've vanished away. The liner has a 40 to 60% ratio of getting scratched up, but then in some cases, the scratches are again honed by the piston rings. Hence not much to worry about anymore. The smell should be of no concern either.

Change oil
    Air and Oil filter
    Lube the chain, accelerator and clutch cables, also the speedometer cable if can.
    Fix the flat tires (Most probably they won't be flat and will just need some fresh new air) Don't let the puncture people fool you on this.

Good luck and ride safe.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List