Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Battery charging

hi
    does any one uses dedicated battery charger with their bike battery?

cause whenever i check my battery voltage it came out as 12 volts (unloaded) and most people on the net say the battery is fully charged if it reaches 14.3 volts,,, and i do not think the default charging system on bike is that much good..

also most manual says to charge the battery overnight with 300-700 m amps current ,, and most honda manual recommends charging at 300 m amps ,, and for quick/rapid charge they recommend 700 m amps,,

and i think default charging system on bikes put a lot of current 3-4 Amps when headlight is off and 2 Amps when headlight is off to battery .. and this much current degrades battery quickly.

thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ahsan bhai mujhay ziada specification ka to nahi pata but i installed a new battery carger,ab light thori kum hugai ha par jalti nahi pehle jal jati thi if i gave more throttel
    legend will revive soon

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asjdsm View Post
    hi
    does any one uses dedicated battery charger with their bike battery?

cause whenever i check my battery voltage it came out as 12 volts (unloaded) and most people on the net say the battery is fully charged if it reaches 14.3 volts,,, and i do not think the default charging system on bike is that much good..

also most manual says to charge the battery overnight with 300-700 m amps current ,, and most honda manual recommends charging at 300 m amps ,, and for quick/rapid charge they recommend 700 m amps,,

and i think default charging system on bikes put a lot of current 3-4 Amps when headlight is off and 2 Amps when headlight is off to battery .. and this much current degrades battery quickly.

thanks
    i agree with you and when you checked bike`s dc voltage was the engine in idle speed (rpm) ? and check manuals coz the max dc output voltage written on the manuals are on a specific engine rpm like 5000rpm or 6000 rpm

and there is a DC charge controller under the seat it controls dc voltage and charging current .when terminal voltage reaches at its cut off point it stops charging...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i checked it when it was idling ...
    and also i tried checking battery voltages by disconnecting it from restof circuit,, and i never got above 12 volts.. a fully chaged battery should give 14.1 volts.. i checked it wehen it was brand new,,, i checked it numerous times and i was sure its battery would be fully charged as i had used it for a week without headlamp,,

regarding current i m uhsing cheapo cheapo multimeter so the current figures are not to be trusted..

i m of the view that if ne uses an external dedicated charger battery may work good,,? has anyone used it?

wwhat is the cuttof voltage of the battery charger installed in bikes by default?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i checked it when it was idling ...
    and also i tried checking battery voltages by disconnecting it from restof circuit,, and i never got above 12 volts.. a fully chaged battery should give 14.1 volts.. i checked it wehen it was brand new,,, i checked it numerous times and i was sure its battery would be fully charged as i had used it for a week without headlamp,,

regarding current i m uhsing cheapo cheapo multimeter so the current figures are not to be trusted..

i m of the view that if ne uses an external dedicated charger battery may work good,,? has anyone used it?

wwhat is the cuttof voltage of the battery charger installed in bikes by default?
    check voltage when bike start and engine rpm min 5000rpm or 6000rpm(if you didn't have a electric tachometer) then just twist throttle and connect a multimeter with DC output you will have a highest voltage reading approx 14 to 14.3 voltage or what your bike have..

your battery has 12v but Open-circuit voltage should min 12.5v check its specific gravity of cells

no idea about external battery charger ..i think its stock chager is good enough..

its a link for battery info..

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...d_acid_battery

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by YamahaYB100 View Post
    check voltage when bike start and engine rpm min 5000rpm or 6000rpm(if you didn't have a electric tachometer) then just twist throttle and connect a multimeter with DC output you will have a highest voltage reading approx 14 to 14.3 voltage or what your bike have..

your battery has 12v but Open-circuit voltage should min 12.5v check its specific gravity of cells

no idea about external battery charger ..i think its stock chager is good enough..

its a link for battery info..

Charging Information For Lead Acid Batteries ? Battery University
    ok i will check its specific gravit.. where can i check it? hoe much this test costs? kia motorcycle walon ka paas hothi ha aisi checking device? and what is the desi/local way to ask for this test..

voltage accross battery terminal in open circuit no load no charging situation i have never seen above 12 volts,,, what that site claims is it should be 14.4 volts ,,

and my bikes output is 14-17 volts when i checked it idling and full throttle,, respectivly,,when it was connected to battery,, but the moment bike is turned off it goes back to 12 volts, for obvious reasons as the higher volts were not from battery but from charging circuit..

also where is the charging devise on bike ? under my seat there is cdi unit,, and on right side cover there is a rectifier ,, apart from these two items i could not find any device, may be it be hidden somewhere else or i did not noticed it,, a link to pic or image will be good,,

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ok i will check its specific gravit.. where can i check it? hoe much this test costs? kia motorcycle walon ka paas hothi ha aisi checking device? and what is the desi/local way to ask for this test..

voltage accross battery terminal in open circuit no load no charging situation i have never seen above 12 volts,,, what that site claims is it should be 14.4 volts ,,

and my bikes output is 14-17 volts when i checked it idling and full throttle,, respectivly,,when it was connected to battery,, but the moment bike is turned off it goes back to 12 volts, for obvious reasons as the higher volts were not from battery but from charging circuit..

also where is the charging devise on bike ? under my seat there is cdi unit,, and on right side cover there is a rectifier ,, apart from these two items i could not find any device, may be it be hidden somewhere else or i did not noticed it,, a link to pic or image will be good,,
    for specific gravity check you need a Hydrometer it will cost you around max 150 rs 200 rs or go to a battery shop he will check the electrolyte`s specific gravity free of cost

no site claims 14.4v volts only the manufacturer of battery will show the all info like volts per cell and max current etc in their manuals

your bike generator generate max 17v for battery charge you need more volts than the battery...if you have a 12v battery then you need minimum 14 v to charge

for battery charger i will upload a pic

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List