Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Engine Oil getting thin help

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Engine Oil getting thin help

    Hello,
    i have an old cg125 model 2003...the problem is that the oil in my bike is getting too thin..when i check the oil even when the bike is cold...it doesn't stick... the drops fall down...what could be the reason? any help? plus the bike is getting too hot too quick...and stays hot for quite a while..what could be the reason?
    also note that I have already installed new and geniune ring & piston kit recently......???
    any help..
    thanks..


  2. #2
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    asjdsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,483
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    use genuine oil.. from a reputable pump..
    try havoline of caltex or shell..
    remove this thin oil as soon as possible and use it to lubricate your chain,,will last a year...

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    first of all thanks for your thoughts...ok should I get the oil from a pump? I got it from an oil exchanger near my place who is known as a big distributor of the oil.. i dunno if he sales genuine oil or not though...and u sure this may be the prob? thnaks..

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Juste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    1,983
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    give a try to caltex havoline. then share the results with us.
    31.5497 N, 74.3436 E

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    ril9988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mian Walli
    Age
    50
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default oil getting lean

    Dear AOA, i BELIEVE U R ALREADY USING GOOD QUALITY OIL, AND YOUR OIL BECOMES LEAN ALONG WITH INCREASE IN OIL LEVEL FROM ORIGINAL FILLED POSITION.
    I WOULD ADVICE TO PAY ATTENTION THAT YOUR CARBURETTOR MIGHT BE OVERFLOWING THROUGH LEAKY VALVES IN CYLINDER TO THE OIL PAN. tHE CHECK IS TO CHANGE OIL AND MAKE A HABIT OF CLOSING THE FUEL VALVE TO "OFF" AFTER YOU USE THE BIKE. cHECK THE OIL AFTER SOME TIME. IF THIS WAS THE PROBLEM , THE OIL QUALITY AND LEVEL WOULD BE OK NOW.
    TAKE CARE, BYE

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    asjdsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,483
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    ^^ so u mean that there is a way/ppath through which petrol can go into engine where it mixes with engimne oil and thines it?

    OP
    bro i have seen 2 nambar oil that is realy shity ,, very thin,or stickiness is not as good as original one if u compare them side by side..

    but if u are sure that oil is good.original then the only other alternative for the oil getting thin is that its getting moixed with petrol somehow.. either through a leaky piston rings or as the above user said through carbb..(sic) ..

    are u sure your piston rings were properly fited and boring was done properly?

    was the ring to cylinder gap and ring ends gap checked and was in specs?

    u can ask ur mechanic and also try to check other gs150 bikes oil to have a comparison..

    meanwhile you should give a new engine oil a shot.. as the old oil will be used to lube chain frequently...

  7. #7
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asjdsm View Post
    ^^ so u mean that there is a way/ppath through which petrol can go into engine where it mixes with engimne oil and thines it?

    OP
    bro i have seen 2 nambar oil that is realy shity ,, very thin,or stickiness is not as good as original one if u compare them side by side..

    but if u are sure that oil is good.original then the only other alternative for the oil getting thin is that its getting moixed with petrol somehow.. either through a leaky piston rings or as the above user said through carbb..(sic) ..

    are u sure your piston rings were properly fited and boring was done properly?

    was the ring to cylinder gap and ring ends gap checked and was in specs?

    u can ask ur mechanic and also try to check other gs150 bikes oil to have a comparison..

    meanwhile you should give a new engine oil a shot.. as the old oil will be used to lube chain frequently...
    Once again thanks for the reply..

    I am not sure about the oil because I bought it from a reputable shop but he is not a listed authorized dealer i guess..but i found out an authorized zic dealer and i am going to give it a shot and try buying oil from them..

    as far as the piston rings are concerned....and boring is concerned..actually no boring was done because the cylinder was changed as well...new and genuine cylinder and ring piston were installed...

    on the other hand "was the ring to cylinder gap and ring ends gap checked and was in specs?" well..i can't say anything about it bro..because i don't know much about bikes...but i can say that my mechanic is known as the best mechanic of 125 in my area for quit a while...and all the 125 lovers love this guy..he does all the work himself instead of letting young kids fix the bike...so i cant say much abt dat..

    i also installed a new petrol knob kit..thats it..??so wat abt carborator??

    ill go to the mechanic today but any help would be appreciated

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    asjdsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,483
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    if it was new cylimnder then u need not to worry about those things,,
    ask ur mechanic to check oil.. if he says its thin then get new oil..

  9. #9
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    thin is good - be sure that the oil you are using is at least API SG or higher, SE and SF oils will break down in a small carb CG-125, and you are supposed to clean out the centrifugal oil filter that is mounted inside the engine every 15,000 kms. It gets plugged with dirt.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  10. #10
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asjdsm View Post
    if it was new cylimnder then u need not to worry about those things,,
    ask ur mechanic to check oil.. if he says its thin then get new oil..
    Yes, cylinder, ring piston kit, valves, etc were all new...ok ill ask the mechanic....

  11. #11
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    thin is good - be sure that the oil you are using is at least API SG or higher, SE and SF oils will break down in a small carb CG-125, and you are supposed to clean out the centrifugal oil filter that is mounted inside the engine every 15,000 kms. It gets plugged with dirt.
    The thing you said is exactly what an officer from ZIC department told me that thin is good...im using ZIC HIFLO......can you explain how thin is good? because a relative of mine said that..when the oil gets too thin...the friction is increased...and engine is not protected anymore..it needs to be lubricated enough to work without causing much friction...

    also..can you tell me how can I spot "centrifugal oil filter" and how can I clean it?
    Thanks.

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    asjdsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,483
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zealousguy View Post
    The thing you said is exactly what an officer from ZIC department told me that thin is good...im using ZIC HIFLO......can you explain how thin is good? because a relative of mine said that..when the oil gets too thin...the friction is increased...and engine is not protected anymore..it needs to be lubricated enough to work without causing much friction...

    also..can you tell me how can I spot "centrifugal oil filter" and how can I clean it?
    Thanks.
    yes he was right but it needs a bit further explaination.
    both thick and thin have advantages and disadvantages..

    extreme racers and mpg recorders even use kerosene (or diesel) instead of engine oil.. because the thinner the oil is the less the moving parts has to face resistance and it will floew eaily.. consider moving your finger through petrol vs engine oil.. u will see that you finger has little resistance when u move it through petrol.. same is the case with thin engine oil.. parts move faster. but the down side is that the lbrication is not suficent and parts gradulay detoririate and eventualyy friction increases to the extent to jam.,. this is the case with 'extremist mpg/economy gainers' and their bikes get destroyed after setting the 'record' ...

    so in the above situation there was a hell of difference between viscosity .. but in reality the different engine oils have little difference in viscosity.. so in theory thiner oil gives more mpg/economy/ or km/ltr but in the long run not good for engine durability.. also if u mainly run at slow speeds then thinner oil is good as it quickly starts its actions and so it is recomended and it here protects engine. but at high speed it doesnt protects engine well...

    thicker oil on the other hand is good at high speeds for engine protection but at least in theory it will reduce top speed and acceleration.. and at low speeds it will not be good for lubrication as it will take long time to get to its working state.. and parts will face friction.. and in case u turn on and off ur engine too frequently thick oil has the disadvantage of providing good lubrication.,,, as the fact is that bikes get most of damage at start,, as at start lubrication is not good.. so in this case thin oil is recomended...


    but after noting that there is very little difference in engine oil thickness and riding style is not consistant any oil (thick/or thin) will be ok..

    hope i m correct ..?

  13. #13
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asjdsm View Post
    yes he was right but it needs a bit further explaination.
    both thick and thin have advantages and disadvantages..

    extreme racers and mpg recorders even use kerosene (or diesel) instead of engine oil.. because the thinner the oil is the less the moving parts has to face resistance and it will floew eaily.. consider moving your finger through petrol vs engine oil.. u will see that you finger has little resistance when u move it through petrol.. same is the case with thin engine oil.. parts move faster. but the down side is that the lbrication is not suficent and parts gradulay detoririate and eventualyy friction increases to the extent to jam.,. this is the case with 'extremist mpg/economy gainers' and their bikes get destroyed after setting the 'record' ...

    so in the above situation there was a hell of difference between viscosity .. but in reality the different engine oils have little difference in viscosity.. so in theory thiner oil gives more mpg/economy/ or km/ltr but in the long run not good for engine durability.. also if u mainly run at slow speeds then thinner oil is good as it quickly starts its actions and so it is recomended and it here protects engine. but at high speed it doesnt protects engine well...

    thicker oil on the other hand is good at high speeds for engine protection but at least in theory it will reduce top speed and acceleration.. and at low speeds it will not be good for lubrication as it will take long time to get to its working state.. and parts will face friction.. and in case u turn on and off ur engine too frequently thick oil has the disadvantage of providing good lubrication.,,, as the fact is that bikes get most of damage at start,, as at start lubrication is not good.. so in this case thin oil is recomended...


    but after noting that there is very little difference in engine oil thickness and riding style is not consistant any oil (thick/or thin) will be ok..

    hope i m correct ..?
    well that was a really helpful post for not only me for other riders as well...as far as the riding style is considered...im a moderate rider...im not a racer by any means and i hardly run my bike at top speed (only once in a blue moon when im really late and i have to appear in an exam or something) other than that...i ride it on moderate speed....

    so...what is the bottom line though? should I juz be fine with the current state of the oil and put away all the doubts in my mind?

  14. #14
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    the basic laws of pressure vs flow are at work here, if you have a thick liquid it will have great pressure but with low volume. This maybe good in some circumstances only.

    but an engine requires flow of oil to keep itself lubricated, clean and cool too. For that thin oils will get into places in large volumes required. It will also reduce the oil pump drag losses.

    this is the simplest i can think of.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  15. #15
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    asjdsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,483
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zealousguy View Post
    well that was a really helpful post for not only me for other riders as well...as far as the riding style is considered...im a moderate rider...im not a racer by any means and i hardly run my bike at top speed (only once in a blue moon when im really late and i have to appear in an exam or something) other than that...i ride it on moderate speed....

    so...what is the bottom line though? should I juz be fine with the current state of the oil and put away all the doubts in my mind?
    i cannot say anything without checking oil.. and even then my words wont be final..
    take it this way if ur mechanic says ok ha and u are sure u got original.. be happy with it,, as ur riding stye needs thin oil...and next tme just buy from pump..

  16. #16
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asjdsm View Post
    i cannot say anything without checking oil.. and even then my words wont be final..
    take it this way if ur mechanic says ok ha and u are sure u got original.. be happy with it,, as ur riding stye needs thin oil...and next tme just buy from pump..
    Okay thanks. I will try to take some time off for this..by the way..is it normal that after a long route ride...if i put my hand close to the engine.. i can feel the heat..?

  17. #17
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    asjdsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,483
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zealousguy View Post
    Okay thanks. I will try to take some time off for this..by the way..is it normal that after a long route ride...if i put my hand close to the engine.. i can feel the heat..?
    yes.. u can an will fel the heat.. thats enough to give u a jerk if u keep it touched for more then few seconds..

  18. #18
    PakWheeler Follow
    ril9988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mian Walli
    Age
    50
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default lean oil

    dear AOA i WOULD ADVICE TO CHECK AS I INDICATED TO U EARLIER. THE OIL LEVEL INCREASES NOT WHEN ENGINE IS RUNNING BUT WHEN THE BIKE IS STANDING STILL DUE TO THE PROBLEM OF CARB. OVERFLOWING, PASSING OF VALVES PAST PISTON RINGS TO OIL PAN. YOUR OIL MIGHT BE HAVING FUEL MIXING IN IT WHICH IS MAKING IT LEAN, TRY SMELLING THE OIL. IT MIGHT SMELL LIKE PETROL. IF IT IS SO, CLOSING THE FUEL VALVE WHEN BIKE IS OFF WOULD PREVENT IT. TAKE CARE RIAZ.

  19. #19
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ril9988 View Post
    dear AOA i WOULD ADVICE TO CHECK AS I INDICATED TO U EARLIER. THE OIL LEVEL INCREASES NOT WHEN ENGINE IS RUNNING BUT WHEN THE BIKE IS STANDING STILL DUE TO THE PROBLEM OF CARB. OVERFLOWING, PASSING OF VALVES PAST PISTON RINGS TO OIL PAN. YOUR OIL MIGHT BE HAVING FUEL MIXING IN IT WHICH IS MAKING IT LEAN, TRY SMELLING THE OIL. IT MIGHT SMELL LIKE PETROL. IF IT IS SO, CLOSING THE FUEL VALVE WHEN BIKE IS OFF WOULD PREVENT IT. TAKE CARE RIAZ.
    Hello,
    Thank you i will try to smell it now..and turn the petrol off when standing...is there any perminant fix for this? do i need to replace the carb?

  20. #20
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    asjdsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,483
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    ^^ na bai na.. carb kabi na replace karna... until u get genuine for free..keep ur genuine carb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •