Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Engine Oil getting thin help

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Engine Oil getting thin help

    Hello,
    i have an old cg125 model 2003...the problem is that the oil in my bike is getting too thin..when i check the oil even when the bike is cold...it doesn't stick... the drops fall down...what could be the reason? any help? plus the bike is getting too hot too quick...and stays hot for quite a while..what could be the reason?
    also note that I have already installed new and geniune ring & piston kit recently......???
    any help..
    thanks..


  2. #21
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asjdsm View Post
    ^^ na bai na.. carb kabi na replace karna... until u get genuine for free..keep ur genuine carb
    umm can you explain a bit further why u said thaT?is it because geniune carb is not available in the market? or is it because its too expensive? because u said dnt get it until u get it free and geniune lol!

  3. #22
    PakWheeler Follow
    6Forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    203
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Engine oil should be thin when engine temperature is low because of high starting friction at low temperature, and maintain proper viscosity at high temperature 100°C.
    All 20W-50 viscosity engine oils maintain viscosity from 16.3 to 21.9 cSt at100°C.
    If engine oil is thin at low temperature and less change in viscosity at high temperature, that oil have a Viscosity Index which is good.

  4. #23
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6Forward View Post
    Engine oil should be thin when engine temperature is low because of high starting friction at low temperature, and maintain proper viscosity at high temperature 100°C.
    All 20W-50 viscosity engine oils maintain viscosity from 16.3 to 21.9 cSt at100°C.
    If engine oil is thin at low temperature and less change in viscosity at high temperature, that oil have a Viscosity Index which is good.
    Thanks..you are right and I heard the same thing..that its good if its thin in cold temprature..but its so thin that it starts to drip like water...in both conditions..when standing still or after getting hot after a long ride...plus.. i think bike is getting too much time to get back to normal temprature after long rides..for instance.. after riding it for 20-25 km yesterday..i could feel its engine was hot even after an hour or so... plus i can hear a sound in my engine when it gets hot..also..the sharp sound goes away..like bharraata hua sound hojata hai...thats why i was a bit concerned....

  5. #24
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    also.. i went to the mechanic today...he said i should get castrol gtx or havoline for 125 and not zic...may be its true that synthetic oils are not good for old engine (2003) or rebuilt engines?

  6. #25
    PakWheeler Follow
    6Forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    203
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    ZIC HIFLO is not Synthetic oil. Well change the engine oil if it is too much thin.
    ZIC HIFLO is API SM & 20W-50. Now use 20W-50 and lower API grade like SG or SF

  7. #26
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6Forward View Post
    ZIC HIFLO is not Synthetic oil. Well change the engine oil if it is too much thin.
    ZIC HIFLO is API SM & 20W-50. Now use 20W-50 and lower API grade like SG or SF
    and can you name any oils with those specs u mentioneD? is havoline SG or Sf ?
    thanks.

  8. #27
    PakWheeler Follow
    6Forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    203
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Havoline is motor oil 20W-50, API SG, but Havoline 4t is 20W-40 API SF.
    Castrol 20W-50, API SG, Total 4T is 20W-50 API SF.
    So use 20W-50 any one.

  9. #28
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6Forward View Post
    Havoline is motor oil 20W-50, API SG, but Havoline 4t is 20W-40 API SF.
    Castrol 20W-50, API SG, Total 4T is 20W-50 API SF.
    So use 20W-50 any one.
    Okay great. than i will use havoline..most people here seem to guys having really good knowledge abt bikes..ok one more thing i observed...can you guess or speculate wat could be the prob? I am also observing that when my bike gets hot...its sound gets weird...in urdu I would say "BHARRAA raha hai sound" when i take out my bike in the morning..the sound is sharp...n aala..but after running around a bit bike gets hot too quickly..and it losses its sharp sound..is it also because of oil? or there could be some other problem?
    Thanks.

  10. #29
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    seems like you have an engine temperature problem, most causes are badly adjusted carburettor causing the engine to run hot (too lean mixture on load, your mechanic would mess around with the mixture screw but not know that the mixture screw only affects the mixture till 15% throttle opening), other causes are badly adjusted valve clearances (use feeler gauges) and do it only when dead cold.

    the lower rocker arms also wear out on the pin they ride on, if those are shot then you will never get the engine to shut up, it will be really loud. Your engine is supposed to make a "machine sound" when warmed up with a little clackle of the tappets - It cannot be dead silent. I would also suggest that you remove the clutch cover and renew the two O rings of the oil pump as they must have hardened with overheating. If they fail you will lose oil pressure and you will have destructive engine wear.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  11. #30
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    asjdsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,483
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zealousguy View Post
    umm can you explain a bit further why u said thaT?is it because geniune carb is not available in the market? or is it because its too expensive? because u said dnt get it until u get it free and geniune lol!
    both reasons ...

  12. #31
    PakWheeler Follow
    zealousguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    seems like you have an engine temperature problem, most causes are badly adjusted carburettor causing the engine to run hot (too lean mixture on load, your mechanic would mess around with the mixture screw but not know that the mixture screw only affects the mixture till 15% throttle opening), other causes are badly adjusted valve clearances (use feeler gauges) and do it only when dead cold.

    the lower rocker arms also wear out on the pin they ride on, if those are shot then you will never get the engine to shut up, it will be really loud. Your engine is supposed to make a "machine sound" when warmed up with a little clackle of the tappets - It cannot be dead silent. I would also suggest that you remove the clutch cover and renew the two O rings of the oil pump as they must have hardened with overheating. If they fail you will lose oil pressure and you will have destructive engine wear.
    well that was really a thoughtful post..sorry for being a noob...but i didnt get a few things...

    you said it could be badly adjusted valve clearance...how can it be adjusted the rite way then? I mean i don't have any knoweldge abt this stuff..so should I ask the mechanic or what?

    also explain what can be done to those rocker arms you are talking about? and again should i do it myself or ask the mechanic thanks.

  13. #32
    PakWheeler Follow
    6Forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    203
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zealousguy View Post
    Okay great. than i will use havoline..most people here seem to guys having really good knowledge abt bikes..ok one more thing i observed...can you guess or speculate wat could be the prob? I am also observing that when my bike gets hot...its sound gets weird...in urdu I would say "BHARRAA raha hai sound" when i take out my bike in the morning..the sound is sharp...n aala..but after running around a bit bike gets hot too quickly..and it losses its sharp sound..is it also because of oil? or there could be some other problem?
    Thanks.
    I don't think the weird sound is because of engine oil even if u use lighter viscosity engine oil.
    this abnormal sound is due to excessive vibration, and the symptoms of vibration are bad valve clearance and air fuel mixture.
    use feeler gauge when adjusting valve clearance, 0.08mm clearance of both valves intake and exhaust at cold temperature.
    Adjust the Theoretical air-fuel ratio. If air-fuel ratio is too lean or too rich poor performance of bike, abnormal sound and excessive vibration will happen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •