Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By aximaxim
  • 1 Post By Automotorsport_Lover

Thread: Why the new motorcycles do not carry a drive shaft

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    zubair.ilyyas.5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    24
    Posts
    223
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Why the new motorcycles do not carry a drive shaft

    I have read somewhere that in earlier time they had drive shafts instead of chains so my question is that why don't they have in new ones as new bikes have more power and with the technology of carbon fibre they can also reduce the weight of shaft .So what is the point of keeping chains

  2. #2
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    aximaxim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    1,086
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    There are 3 type of final drive options on a motorcycle:
    1. Chain Drive
    2. Belt Drive
    3. Shaft Drive

    Chain Drives:
    These are the most economical way to transmit power to the rear wheel. They also convey the greatest percentage of engine power in the process. Chain drives are by far the most popular drive mechanism in motorbikes around the world. On the other hand, they also require the most maintenance, are dirty, and not as smooth as a shaft or belt drive. Bear in mind that the most routine motorcycle maintenance required of a rider is taking care of those metal chain links! (Unless you include putting gas in the tank.) So, reducing that chain maintenance equates to greater power.
    Why the new motorcycles do not carry a drive shaft - images?qtbnANd9GcQ7N8bX9UjLbSE2thMA3k9 Plq40alxOfic0ZKrEAgc8dMKBS27XQ
    Belt Drives:
    These are a viable option where available (mostly, but not exclusively, on cruisers). Not only do belts require less frequent adjustments than a chain, they also last longer, so the whole task of having them replaced is reduced. Belt drives are cleaner since there is no chain lube flying around to mess up your bike or that belt in your jeans with gold chains and chrome, shaft pendants dangling around. Belt drives are also smoother than chain drives.
    Why the new motorcycles do not carry a drive shaft - 0608 hrbp 13 z2005 pyros custom motorcyclebelt drive
    Shaft Drive:

    And finally, there are shaft drives: the same technology that is used in cars. Shaft drives are smooth. They are the lowest maintenance of the three. (The shaft drive oil reservoir needs to be infrequently drained and replaced). They are quiet and clean. Motorcycle shaft drives are also heavier and more expensive than chain or belt drives. Furthermore, a small amount of performance is lost while moving that power from the engine to the rear wheel via some extra gears in the shaft drive. Hence, you won?t see them on pure performance machines.
    Why the new motorcycles do not carry a drive shaft - Shaft Drive

    Reason why Chain Drive is Popular:
    1. Most efficient power delivery system.
    2. Lightweight keeping dry weight to the minimum
    3. Cheapest to manufacturer keeping cost down. (The most important reason)
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

  3. #3
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Automotorsport_Lover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,834
    Follows
    5
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Chains are cheap and easy solution however these result in power loss, drive shaft bikes produce better low rpm tourque.
    Examples of morern day drive shaft bikes include - Honda Goldwing

    Why the new motorcycles do not carry a drive shaft -1124232Why the new motorcycles do not carry a drive shaft -1124233Why the new motorcycles do not carry a drive shaft -1124234

  4. #4
    PakWheeler Follow
    zubair.ilyyas.5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    24
    Posts
    223
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Automotorsport_Lover View Post
    Chains are cheap and easy solution however these result in power loss, drive shaft bikes produce better low rpm tourque.
    Examples of morern day drive shaft bikes include - Honda Goldwing

    Why the new motorcycles do not carry a drive shaft -1124232Why the new motorcycles do not carry a drive shaft -1124233Why the new motorcycles do not carry a drive shaft -1124234


    WOW such a big one !!!!

    okay DO they have a shaft thing in harley davidson as harley doesn't seems to be an economical bike

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    zubair.ilyyas.5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    24
    Posts
    223
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aximaxim View Post
    There are 3 type of final drive options on a motorcycle:
    1. Chain Drive
    2. Belt Drive
    3. Shaft Drive

    Chain Drives:
    These are the most economical way to transmit power to the rear wheel. They also convey the greatest percentage of engine power in the process. Chain drives are by far the most popular drive mechanism in motorbikes around the world. On the other hand, they also require the most maintenance, are dirty, and not as smooth as a shaft or belt drive. Bear in mind that the most routine motorcycle maintenance required of a rider is taking care of those metal chain links! (Unless you include putting gas in the tank.) So, reducing that chain maintenance equates to greater power.
    Why the new motorcycles do not carry a drive shaft - images?qtbnANd9GcQ7N8bX9UjLbSE2thMA3k9 Plq40alxOfic0ZKrEAgc8dMKBS27XQ
    Belt Drives:
    These are a viable option where available (mostly, but not exclusively, on cruisers). Not only do belts require less frequent adjustments than a chain, they also last longer, so the whole task of having them replaced is reduced. Belt drives are cleaner since there is no chain lube flying around to mess up your bike or that belt in your jeans with gold chains and chrome, shaft pendants dangling around. Belt drives are also smoother than chain drives.
    Why the new motorcycles do not carry a drive shaft - 0608 hrbp 13 z2005 pyros custom motorcyclebelt drive
    Shaft Drive:

    And finally, there are shaft drives: the same technology that is used in cars. Shaft drives are smooth. They are the lowest maintenance of the three. (The shaft drive oil reservoir needs to be infrequently drained and replaced). They are quiet and clean. Motorcycle shaft drives are also heavier and more expensive than chain or belt drives. Furthermore, a small amount of performance is lost while moving that power from the engine to the rear wheel via some extra gears in the shaft drive. Hence, you won?t see them on pure performance machines.
    Why the new motorcycles do not carry a drive shaft - Shaft Drive

    Reason why Chain Drive is Popular:
    1. Most efficient power delivery system.
    2. Lightweight keeping dry weight to the minimum
    3. Cheapest to manufacturer keeping cost down. (The most important reason)
    Thanks for writing that much !
    Also we may need to start a debate that chains are more efficient or shafts
    if shafts have some helical gears with it then the chain flaps around and loose energy in waves instead of sending complete of it to the wheel oh well what ever the medium is , will take its part in doing the thing. Physics ....

  6. #6
    PakWheeler Follow
    zubair.ilyyas.5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    24
    Posts
    223
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I have found few names who were in that business triumph, bmw, royal Enfield and harley Davidson but all of them were before World war the 2nd . Why not now? Did the bad economy leas us to that. What do you think?

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Automotorsport_Lover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,834
    Follows
    5
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zubair.ilyyas.5 View Post
    I have found few names who were in that business triumph, bmw, royal Enfield and harley Davidson but all of them were before World war the 2nd . Why not now? Did the bad economy leas us to that. What do you think?
    You need to understand that the brands we get here are just a few of dozens of brands out there! Pakistan is a pro-jap market... we sorta worship japs through our purchasing parterns!
    There are three major automobile producing rejions of the world - the Japs, the Europeans, the Americans.
    Both bringin their own heritage of automobiles..

    Americans like and want everthing to be big(F u c k e r s had always been over preveliged) their cars atleast get a V6 engine and they say its underpowered, they usually like V8s, V10s etc... they like Hemi engines, they like muscle cars!
    Examples are:
    GM moters - world's top seller of cars
    Ford
    Chevy
    Dodge
    Buick
    Oldsmobile and many more
    American cars are big and fast, highly non fuel efficient due to their large engines and need maintinence, but are designed for fun..

    Europeans make some really fine machines, but these are expensive and have complex electronics.. means fixing them is not always easy! They make some vry fine pieces of art, affection and passion.
    Eg are:
    BMW
    Mercedes
    Volvo
    Bugatti
    Audi
    Maybach
    Renault
    Peugeot
    Citroen
    etc..

    Japanese machines are known for providing suitable package - their package insludes reliability, economy, quality, sufficient power etc.
    brands include
    Toyota
    honda
    mazda
    nissan
    Issuzu
    Suzuki etc.

    In bikes:
    American
    Harley Davidson
    Titan
    Victory

    In European:
    Triumph
    Aprilla
    Piaggio
    Vespa
    Lambretta
    BMW
    MV augusta
    Ducati

    In Japan
    suzuki
    Yamaha
    Kawasaki
    Honda


    So you probably have got by now... :p That ur question was very incorrectly put!
    There are hundreds of brands, we dont get here any because we are a 3rd world country... aj tak cd70 ka engine nahi banta hamaray mechanics say 30years baad bhi? tou newer bikes ka kia bnaen ***?

    Check this link for more info:
    List of motorcycle manufacturers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    List of automobile manufacturers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Yes some of the luxury cruiser bikes may use drive shafts like victory, harley, Honda goldwing ec.
    and FYI: Honda goldwing is a 1800cc liquid cooled bike with 6 flat cylinders! yes 6 pistons! And produces some 125 BHP along with a lot of tourque! cheers

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    aximaxim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    1,086
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Shaft Drives are the heaviest, matlab they have heavier moving part therefore require a lot of torque. Shaft is not feasible for Lightweight motorcycles with small engines. Shaft drives have the most moving part too, therefore power losses are the most in shaft drives. So they are expensive to make and hugely reduces the power to weight ratio of the bike. Ask yourself If u ever design a bike for mass production will you go for shaft drive......you'll get the answer why have they become obsolete
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

  9. #9
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    aximaxim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    1,086
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Yes shafts are quieter. Therefore they are still in use in some cruising motorcycles for there quietness. I think thats the only category of motorcycles keeping Shaft drives alive.
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •