Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lightbulb Engine Revving.

Dear all,

I have seen so many members concerned about engine revving in the break-in period. So I want to share my experience and suggestion regarding this.

Also, I understand a lot has been already said on the topic, so please excuse me for starting a new topic. I started it so that it is visible to everyone instead of replying in some other thread whose title is not related to engine revving.

So, I have a friend of mine who works for PIA maintenance in Karachi. Aviation is also my favorite subject. So while discussing the largest and most powerful aircraft engine in the world with him, the mighty GE-90, which, by the way is being used in Boeing 777-200s in PIA's fleet, can offer 115,000 lbs of thrust equivalent to a staggering 145,000 HP! But for longer life and low maintenance costs, he said, a GE-90's output power is capped to a value lower than its capacity.

Now we all may appreciate that an aviation engine is one of the most sophisticated machines in the world. So when those engines are operated under capacity for a longer life, engines used in our local bikes should not be revved to their limits too. So I suggest that a 70cc be always driven at a maximum speed of 60 - 70 km/hr, a 100 cc bike at a maximum speed of 70 - 80 km/hr, and 125cc at maximum speed of 80 - 90 km/hr. Just make sure you do not push your engine to its limits.

For break-in periods you may ride your rides at roughly half the above stated speeds according to your machine. Rule of thumb: during break-in period, rev your bikes to speeds which your bike's manufacturer suggests for best ECONOMY. Also maintain that speed after first 1,000 km to obtain best mileage from your machine.

Hopefully it would give our engines a longer life and us a more joyful and economical riding experiences.

First deserve, then desire.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The engine limit that you and I know of, i.e. the redline is not the maximum speed the engine can go. It's actually the speed the engine makes optimum power/torque at. The redline is the safe zone. If you go beyond that, that's harmful for the motor.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by supraman2jz View Post
    The engine limit that you and I know of, i.e. the redline is not the maximum speed the engine can go. It's actually the speed the engine makes optimum power/torque at. The redline is the safe zone. If you go beyond that, that's harmful for the motor.
    You are misguided redline is NOT the safe zone.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 2468 View Post
    You are misguided redline is NOT the safe zone.
    According to what logic, if I may ask?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Very good point made by @TZB. And actually its not rocket science to understand this.

Its understandable that if you keep abusing your engine, it will decrease its life (i.e. increase wear & tear of the engine) hence engine will need an over haul much sooner.

Take those One Wheelie people, abusing their bikes like hell. Or those drag racers. I have seen them over hauling their engine (or atleast replacing the Valves, Cluth Plates w/ Box etc etc) roughly after 5-6k Kilometers. And it doesn't end after once or twice. Circle keeps going on and on.

---------

About RedLine point ... here is what Wikipedia says.

Redline refers to the maximum engine speed at which an internal combustion engine or traction motor and its components are designed to operate without causing damage to the components themselves or other parts of the engine.
    Riders on the storm ... literally.

TZB
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have tried this practice of driving under company advised economy speed on my bike, Honda CD 100, and it is giving me an improved average now: around 55 km/l. Earlier, it was giving me hardly 45 km/l.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by abobobilly View Post
    Very good point made by @TZB. And actually its not rocket science to understand this.

Its understandable that if you keep abusing your engine, it will decrease its life (i.e. increase wear & tear of the engine) hence engine will need an over haul much sooner.

Take those One Wheelie people, abusing their bikes like hell. Or those drag racers. I have seen them over hauling their engine (or atleast replacing the Valves, Cluth Plates w/ Box etc etc) roughly after 5-6k Kilometers. And it doesn't end after once or twice. Circle keeps going on and on.

---------

About RedLine point ... here is what Wikipedia says.
    An engine needs an overhaul when:

1-The piston rings are weak.
    2-The big end bearing goes noisy.
    3-The engine heats up seizes.
    4-Valve failure.
    5-Connecting rod failure

These are some of the major reasons from the top of my head. The top 3 are when the engine runs constant on low oil and coolant. Fourth and fifth are when your internals are weak or have timing belt failure. Redlining is normal.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by supraman2jz View Post
    According to what logic, if I may ask?
    The color red is the symbol of danger thats why newer cars have got rev limiter to prevent the engine rpm going into the redline zone, old non-efi engines don't have this limiter which allows the rpm to go into the redline zone.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Very well elaborated the issue of rev by bro TZB. Actually it all happens in our society and the people after using their bike like a plane even go to sell it within a year or are found on the shops of mechanics for open heart sugery of their bike.

In life, if the limits are not crossed in using the things only then one can get comfort from those things.

TZB
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    In life, if the limits are not crossed in using the things only then one can get comfort from those things.
    Well said, brother.

TZB
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

While coming to office today this fine morning (with clouds and a light rain shower), I noticed something which supports the fact a bike should be run in economy speed under normal operation. I am certain you guys may have noticed this as well.

The thing is, these days I am riding my Honda CD 100 at a peak speed of 50 - 60 km/h. Since it was raining this morning, so I pushed the throttle further in my futile attempt to reach office before rain became heavy (I had to stop under shed twice on way). I noticed that as I exceeded 60km/hr, the engine, though accelerating smoothly, started roaring as if in need of a 5th gear.

So I think economy speed (+- 20 km/h) is indeed the optimum crusing speed on our local bikes for their engines to have a worry-free first 4 -5 years of operation or even more.

Agree?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TZB View Post
    While coming to office today this fine morning (with clouds and a light rain shower), I noticed something which supports the fact a bike should be run in economy speed under normal operation. I am certain you guys may have noticed this as well.

The thing is, these days I am riding my Honda CD 100 at a peak speed of 50 - 60 km/h. Since it was raining this morning, so I pushed the throttle further in my futile attempt to reach office before rain became heavy (I had to stop under shed twice on way). I noticed that as I exceeded 60km/hr, the engine, though accelerating smoothly, started roaring as if in need of a 5th gear.

So I think economy speed (+- 20 km/h) is indeed the optimum crusing speed on our local bikes for their engines to have a worry-free first 4 -5 years of operation or even more.

Agree?
    50-60km/hr is good are a 78cc chonda, but for a 100cc I think 60-70km/hr is economy speed. I have a chonda with altered sprocket set (16/41) and I can cruise on 60km/hr without stressing the engine. Without the sprockets altered I could only manage 50km/hr, twisting the throttle decreased fuel efficiency.
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List