Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By gull_s_777
  • 1 Post By SyedMoazzam
  • 1 Post By gull_s_777
  • 1 Post By SyedMoazzam
  • 1 Post By amjad635
  • 1 Post By amjad635
  • 1 Post By gull_s_777
  • 1 Post By gull_s_777

Thread: Foam Air Filter Cleaning/Maintenance

  1. #1
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    gull_s_777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bahawalpur
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Foam Air Filter Cleaning/Maintenance

    Hi everybody
    Seems like many bikes are now coming with foam air filters which don't need to be replaced at every tuning.
    But maintaining them in proper way is crucial to bike's engine life, so i am creating this thread for everyone to share their knowledge and tips about it.
    You can also post shots from your bike manual showing how your bike manufacturer recommends it.

    Here i am pasting a basic guide from Yamaha website

    Step 1 - Remove the air filter from the bike, then remove the foam element from the filter guide.

    Step 2 - Soak the element in clean high flash point solvent for several minutes to break down the oil then rinse in solvent to remove as much dirt as possible.

    Step 3 - Squeeze out the solvent and wash the element in warm soapy water, then rinse in clean water. Squeeze out the excessive water and let the element dry. Use rubber gloves.

    Step 4 - (Don't skip this step, it's the most important of all) Apply a liberal amount Yamaha foam filter oil (or whatever is recommended on the manual) to the element. Completely saturate the entire foam element, and then squeeze out the excess filter oil.

    Step 5 - install the element onto the filter guide and re-install the filter assembly into the bike.

    Following link also contains a very good video showing it step by step.
    Outdoor Parts & Service Home

    Foam Air Filter CleaningMaintenance -1279881


  2. #2
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    gull_s_777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bahawalpur
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Here is what is recommended by suzuki on my manual...

    Foam Air Filter CleaningMaintenance -1279878

  3. #3
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    gull_s_777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bahawalpur
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Pak suzuki recommends to clean the filter with non-combustible washing solution, then dry it and re-oil it.
    But i like the method told by Yamaha better, as air filter will have old dirty thick oil which i don't think can easily be washed away by a simple washing solution so it is better to clean it with high flash point solvent like kerosene oil first. This will ensure that old oil and dirt is completely out of the filter. After that you can wash it mild dish soap solution to remove any remaining dirt and also to remove the remaining solvent from it.
    Then just let it dry and re oil it and you are good to go.

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    moons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,487
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gull_s_777 View Post
    Pak suzuki recommends to clean the filter with non-combustible washing solution, then dry it and re-oil it.
    But i like the method told by Yamaha better, as air filter will have old dirty thick oil which i don't think can easily be washed away by a simple washing solution so it is better to clean it with high flash point solvent like kerosene oil first. This will ensure that old oil and dirt is completely out of the filter. After that you can wash it mild dish soap solution to remove any remaining dirt and also to remove the remaining solvent from it.
    Then just let it dry and re oil it and you are good to go.
    gull bro.after drying, which oil should be used for lubrication of air filter?

  5. #5
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    gull_s_777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bahawalpur
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moons View Post
    gull bro.after drying, which oil should be used for lubrication of air filter?
    obviously best thing is to use a proper foam filter oil. I doubt if any such thing is even available in our market. If someone knows then please share.
    If no filter oil available then there is engine oil and gear oil. Some users pefer one while some prefer other.
    Suzuki manual simply tells to use engine oil, and suzuki mechanics also use engine oil to lubricate the filter.

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    SyedMoazzam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Posts
    2,271
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    First of all to degrease the air filter i use Vim dish wash fluid and believe me it is an excellent degreaser
    Secondly i use PSO gear oil to oil my bike's air filter
    This is a very thick oil and its dust catching capability is awesome
    But it is recommended to use proper foam filter oil which as we all know is not available in our country if i were rich i would have imported it

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    gull_s_777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bahawalpur
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SyedMoazzam View Post
    First of all to degrease the air filter i use Vim dish wash fluid and believe me it is an excellent degreaser
    Secondly i use PSO gear oil to oil my bike's air filter
    I always felt that dish wash solution isn't capable of removing all the oil from the foam, that's why i prefer cleaning it with kerosene first.
    But good to know that you are satisfied with the performance of Vim dish wash
    What is the grade of that PSO gear oil???

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    levin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Select City
    Age
    51
    Posts
    23,112
    Follows
    5
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    These filters have to own cleaning solutions. you can check on their website and buy. Why would anyone waste time doing experiments with other things to clean them. the chemical solution designed by company has already been searched on and manufactured. Ask your distributor to buy it for you
    ,,, unless you know the track, you're not good enough to sit behind the wheel." K T

  9. #9
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    gull_s_777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bahawalpur
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by levin View Post
    These filters have to own cleaning solutions. you can check on their website and buy. Why would anyone waste time doing experiments with other things to clean them. the chemical solution designed by company has already been searched on and manufactured. Ask your distributor to buy it for you
    No such thing.
    I dealth with two Suzuki official service centers.
    The guys at one service center didn't even bother to wash/re-oil it, he just blew compressed air in it and there you go. It's done cleaning.
    While the guy at second service center had some idea, and he used simple cloth washing "Surf" to clean it. But he also never bothered to make proper solution, he just applied some surf and water right on the filter, rubbed it a little and there you go, it is clean.

    Now how can i ask them for a proper cleaner when they are using Surf themselves.

    By the way, after i got my filter cleaned by that second guy, i re-cleaned it just after 200Km of usage as i wasn't very satisfied the way he cleaned it.
    Check the clean Kerosene before i rinsed the filter
    Foam Air Filter CleaningMaintenance -1280058

    And check the dirt that came out of filter after rinsing, it shows what kind of cleaning was done at service center
    It was whole one litre of kerosene which turned blackish with that much dirt in filter.
    Foam Air Filter CleaningMaintenance -1280060

  10. #10
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    SyedMoazzam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Posts
    2,271
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gull_s_777 View Post
    I always felt that dish wash solution isn't capable of removing all the oil from the foam, that's why i prefer cleaning it with kerosene first.
    But good to know that you are satisfied with the performance of Vim dish wash
    What is the grade of that PSO gear oil???
    Dont know the grade but it is written EP140 GL-4 on the bottle(black bottle)

  11. #11
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    SyedMoazzam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Posts
    2,271
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gull_s_777 View Post
    No such thing.
    I dealth with two Suzuki official service centers.
    The guys at one service center didn't even bother to wash/re-oil it, he just blew compressed air in it and there you go. It's done cleaning.
    While the guy at second service center had some idea, and he used simple cloth washing "Surf" to clean it. But he also never bothered to make proper solution, he just applied some surf and water right on the filter, rubbed it a little and there you go, it is clean.

    Now how can i ask them for a proper cleaner when they are using Surf themselves.

    By the way, after i got my filter cleaned by that second guy, i re-cleaned it just after 200Km of usage as i wasn't very satisfied the way he cleaned it.
    Check the clean Kerosene before i rinsed the filter
    Foam Air Filter CleaningMaintenance -1280058

    And check the dirt that came out of filter after rinsing, it shows what kind of cleaning was done at service center
    It was whole one litre of kerosene which turned blackish with that much dirt in filter.
    Foam Air Filter CleaningMaintenance -1280060
    Wow it seems that your filter accidentally got fitted into a dirt bike

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    amjad635's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Select City
    Posts
    5,713
    Follows
    13
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    just finished my process of cleaning air filter & also installed it in bike
    bike is busy at day time and is in use of my big brother
    so had to clean the filter at night its around 12:30AM

    last time its been just few hundred km i cleaned my bike filter
    but after cleaning of air filter i was not happy with bike performance at all
    and it was loosing performance day by day and last 100km have really been worst
    i mean bike is feeling heavier and acceleration is decreased jaise saans ghut rahe ho
    i had tried my best to squeeze as much as i can to drain excessive oil from foam after dipping foam in oil


    So tonight at around 9pm decided to clean air bikes filter as i am really not enjoying ride of bike

    this time i have used small quantity of gear oil and used hair oiling method to spread it all over the foam

    well tonight before cleaning as i opened the filter and took the filter in my hand
    as i was pressing it oil was dipping from it and i think this is why bike is performing worst

    as its air filter seems completely choked and filled with extra amount of oil
    and i am the culprit who had cleaned it i had tried best to squeeze out oil but guys
    still there was great amount of oil left in foam and i am really surprised to see as i had tried really hard

    and because of this tonight i decided to use alternative method which is pretty fast like we oil our hair

    i hope my bikes performance improves after todays air filter cleaning and i think it would definitely




  13. #13
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    gull_s_777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bahawalpur
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Amjad bro, did you re-clean the filter???
    what did you use to clean it??

  14. #14
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    amjad635's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Select City
    Posts
    5,713
    Follows
    13
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    yes bro i cleaned it again yesterday night and i had cleaned it just some time ago
    but as i said in my above post i was not getting satisfactory performance from my bike
    so that is why cleaned it again and this time avoided using extra oil on foam
    i cleaned filter with kerosene oil and than washed it in soap detergent and than applied
    gear oil on foam but time i applied very little amount of oil on foam
    thorha sa oil haath pe laga ke usko achi tarah se spread kiya all over the foam jaise hum hairs ko oil karte hai



  15. #15
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    gull_s_777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bahawalpur
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amjad635 View Post
    yes bro i cleaned it again yesterday night and i had cleaned it just some time ago
    but as i said in my above post i was not getting satisfactory performance from my bike
    so that is why cleaned it again and this time avoided using extra oil on foam
    i cleaned filter with kerosene oil and than washed it in soap detergent and than applied
    gear oil on foam but time i applied very little amount of oil on foam
    thorha sa oil haath pe laga ke usko achi tarah se spread kiya all over the foam jaise hum hairs ko oil karte hai
    I am wondering if you dried it up completely in the midnight.
    Because even little bit of water left in it will be permanently entrapped in that thick oil which isn't a good thing.

    2nd thing, you are using gear oil. Is it recommended on manual?? it might be a little too thick for the bike to breathe properly that's why you are experiencing change in ride???

  16. #16
    PakWheeler Follow
    Anyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    928
    Follows
    0
    Following
    5
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    gear oil is recommended on pridor's manual for air filter
    Sada nai banya.......Chalo koi gul nai....mitti pao...its ok..!!

  17. #17
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    amjad635's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Select City
    Posts
    5,713
    Follows
    13
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Gull bhai you are right i don't think it was completely dried
    but i tried to soak as much water as i could with tissue papers than
    left it for around one and half hour for drying purpose

    Gull bhai filter cleaning is quite lengthy process that is why i hate these foam filters
    papers filters are much better you just replace them and you are ready to go
    it has really become necessity to purchase another filter foam and keep it as spare
    i searched for pridor filter foam but unfortunately it was not available

    i am really surprised and shocked on unavailability of spare parts of pridor
    why do we say AHl spare parts available every where only CD & CG parts are available
    deluxe and pridor parts are not available and specially pridor spare parts has become pain in ***


    Damn spark plug bhi available nahein hai market mein maine apni city mein dekha
    aur ab khuch din pehle hyd jaana huwa wanha pe bhi yeh cheezein nahein mile
    spark plug,air filter foam aur handle bar clamp waise eski toh baat hi na ke jaaye
    kiyonke yeh toh factory mein bhi available nahein hai

    mujhe ek cheez ka barha afsoos hai the most common spare part plug & filter of bike is not available

  18. #18
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    gull_s_777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bahawalpur
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I purchased an extra filter from Mr. Suzuki Rawalpindi last month. It was readily available.
    Costed me Rs 850 though

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •