Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How to check an engine before buying?

wbk
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default How to check an engine before buying?

Aoa everyone
    I have to get a used engine for a project, i've posted about it before so some of you might remember about it. Its a four seater buggy and needs a new engine. Someone got an engine for me a couple of months back but im not comfortable with it, reason being that its a kick start engine and is not practical in the buggy.

So im looking for advice from you guys as to how to check an engine before going for one. What should be inspected? For example i have bought engine for cars from bilal gunj before and the physical appearance and the head is checked and so on. What things should be looked at which would give an idea of the condition of the engine.

And and and, i also need suggestions for an engine, basic requirements are as follows:
    -self start
    -should have a lot of torque/powerful
    -300 to 500 cc
    -spares should be available easily
    -things like, unit, coils, rectifier, wiring and etc, should be easy to source
    -should be easy on the pocket.

I'll be buying the engine from Malik Hanif at bilal gunj, does anyone know him here so i can use their name as a reference?

Waiting for replies/suggestions.
    regards.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Simple: Test run the engine and it should run well, without abnormal noises or smoke. A compression test and a leakdown test would be valuable too.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by wbk View Post
    I'll be buying the engine from Malik Hanif at bilal gunj, does anyone know him here so i can use their name as a reference?

Waiting for replies/suggestions.
    regards.

friend, remember a rule of thumb in bilal ganj the person going with reference is charged double.

You purchased the RD without actually doing home work to get it in buggy from any ways beside its so rare that finding its complete spares parts kit is like finding water in desert.

In our last conversation, I dont remember, but I did advised you the best bets, hanif is like a long time friend to me he is still recovering from stroke and then followup operation and I am not sure he is back on his shop, but his son was with me few minutes ago and was telling me that they do have some other engines, but I will not recommend Hanifs Godown to buy a engine becoz he dont have any promising one .. there are much much better deals available out there...

Try to take some one who his good at bilal ganj to find you a reasonable deal, or else you will end up spending money on another engine which will be of any use ..

Quote Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
    Simple: Test run the engine and it should run well, without abnormal noises or smoke. A compression test and a leakdown test would be valuable too.
    Wohoawa!!! Its bilal ganj brother not California, things are sold 'as is' and price depend on weight... no test run or even test start is allowed only physical inspection is allowed and take it home dead or alive its yours..
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

wbk
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by vickytulla View Post
    friend, remember a rule of thumb in bilal ganj the person going with reference is charged double.

You purchased the RD without actually doing home work to get it in buggy from any ways beside its so rare that finding its complete spares parts kit is like finding water in desert.

In our last conversation, I dont remember, but I did advised you the best bets, hanif is like a long time friend to me he is still recovering from stroke and then followup operation and I am not sure he is back on his shop, but his son was with me few minutes ago and was telling me that they do have some other engines, but I will not recommend Hanifs Godown to buy a engine becoz he dont have any promising one .. there are much much better deals available out there...

Try to take some one who his good at bilal ganj to find you a reasonable deal, or else you will end up spending money on another engine which will be of any use ..

Wohoawa!!! Its bilal ganj brother not California, things are sold 'as is' and price depend on weight... no test run or even test start is allowed only physical inspection is allowed and take it home dead or alive its yours..

I was hoping that you'd reply vicky bhai. reference point noted! Thanks.

The RD just popped up in my garage, my father had asked a mechanic that i needed an engine and without telling me he got the RD. So this time i'm trying to work out on what different engines have to offer and what would be the best option for the buggy, something torque-y.
    how about a gs 500 engine? Will that be good enough for it? And what should i check in the engine as atm there is no one experienced enough i can take with me to do it for me.

And im stuck with Hanif saab as the previous engine was bought from him and he said that the RD could be exchanged if i wanted too.

Thankyou for your help vicky bhai!

wbk
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So i just called Malik saab, and he says he currently has two engine with him which i could be interested in. First is a suzuki 250cc 2 cylinder engine, with everything cdi, rectifier and stuff. He says condition is like new. The other is a yamaha 350cc 2 cylinder self start and kick start, and ge said something about a point wala engine. Asking for it was 20k.
    Could someone please explain what does a 'point wala engine' refer too? And whats the diff between point and cdi?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

point wala no good ...

Suzuki250cc which one GS or a GT i think he has a GS250 which is 8 valve CDI super power engine but that is locally police auction abused not sure about its health.

Yamaha Engine must be DT360 or XS360 both not good option as they are prehistoric and again can suffer spare parts problem.

So i just called Malik saab, and he says he currently has two engine with him which i could be interested in. First is a suzuki 250cc 2 cylinder engine, with everything cdi, rectifier and stuff. He says condition is like new. The other is a yamaha 350cc 2 cylinder self start and kick start, and ge said something about a point wala engine. Asking for it was 20k.
    Could someone please explain what does a 'point wala engine' refer too? And whats the diff between point and cdi?
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

wbk
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

point wala no good ...

Suzuki250cc which one GS or a GT i think he has a GS250 which is 8 valve CDI super power engine but that is locally police auction abused not sure about its health.

Yamaha Engine must be DT360 or XS360 both not good option as they are prehistoric and again can suffer spare parts problem.
    Ohkay! the suzuki 250cc is claimed by hanif saab to be very clean, but he is asking too much for it. I-e 40k..

Could you please also explain the difference between point and cdi? I have tried looking it up but didnt understand it. :/

Im planning to got to hanif saab this sunday iA, lets see what happens.

wbk
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have much to learn regarding these things, i hope u dont mind me asking too many questions.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

clean doesnt mean healthy bro... with a cotton blob soaked in pertol whole engine will look clean in minutes before you arrive at shop, whats inside is what matters in real, if you were a regular Bilal ganj shopper you may have known hanif deals in locally used bikes only then how can a engine be really in good condition when it was sourced locally even if he severe by God which he mostly does ...

40k ? give me 40k and I will give you two 250cc Suzuki engines with complete accessories .... that's why I said that even Hanif has good long terms with me but for buying an "engine" he is not the right person.

point system is old tech of Ignition CDI is new Tech of Ignition ... CDI is better.

Ohkay! the suzuki 250cc is claimed by hanif saab to be very clean, but he is asking too much for it. I-e 40k..

Could you please also explain the difference between point and cdi? I have tried looking it up but didnt understand it. :/

Im planning to got to hanif saab this sunday iA, lets see what happens.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Keep in mind even a single bolt bought from bilal ganj will need to be serviced and repaired before putting it to some actual use... engine tu dur ki baat hai ..
    @han1911 bought a CB250cc NightHawk engine which was actually a 'KABLI' engine smuggled with a complete bike and was purchased for whooping 40k as its famous relaible and economical 250cc engine...

but still even it was in super fine condition from Out and from INside still he had to put extra 10k on it to actually making it workable.. now imagine what condtion local engines would be ..

I have much to learn regarding these things, i hope u dont mind me asking too many questions.

wbk
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

clean doesnt mean healthy bro... with a cotton blob soaked in pertol whole engine will look clean in minutes before you arrive at shop, whats inside is what matters in real, if you were a regular Bilal ganj shopper you may have known hanif deals in locally used bikes only then how can a engine be really in good condition when it was sourced locally even if he severe by God which he mostly does ...

40k ? give me 40k and I will give you two 250cc Suzuki engines with complete accessories .... that's why I said that even Hanif has good long terms with me but for buying an "engine" he is not the right person.

point system is old tech of Ignition CDI is new Tech of Ignition ... CDI is better.
    Got it. i also had the same reaction when he said 40k.. I got shocked.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am trying to PM you but there is some thing wrong may be your inbox is full ... PM me see if that works and I can reply you with few markets where you can steal a good deal...

wbk
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am trying to PM you but there is some thing wrong may be your inbox is full ... PM me see if that works and I can reply you with few markets where you can steal a good deal...
    Sent sir.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Then why even ask the question about how to check an engine when it is not allowed?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

met nasir last day he told me you called he said finding a neat 500e will be tough one .. most of them are in there respective bikes, he said he can do it a better way ..... I hope it sorts out for you.

Sent sir.

wbk
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

met nasir last day he told me you called he said finding a neat 500e will be tough one .. most of them are in there respective bikes, he said he can do it a better way ..... I hope it sorts out for you.
    Yes i called him when u gave his number. He said the same to me that finding a good 500e would be difficult, although he aked me to give him some time he had some good alternates for the 500e. I'll call him today or tomorrow again.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good post
    <<<***ALHAMDULILLAH***>>>Yah ALLAH tera Shukar

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

he told me that dotn end up exchaning another engine with hanif without fool profing that you ectually need what you are going to take home this time... he said not every complete engine would be a best bet for a buggy... buggy needs torque not High revs and that would need little more inspection then general engine check up.. any ways Best of luck.

Yes i called him when u gave his number. He said the same to me that finding a good 500e would be difficult, although he aked me to give him some time he had some good alternates for the 500e. I'll call him today or tomorrow again.

wbk
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

he told me that dotn end up exchaning another engine with hanif without fool profing that you ectually need what you are going to take home this time... he said not every complete engine would be a best bet for a buggy... buggy needs torque not High revs and that would need little more inspection then general engine check up.. any ways Best of luck.
    Exactly, i need a torquey engine hence opted for the 500e. It is a good deal compared to others in the same league and is easy to maintain because there are mechanics who know about it. Is there any chance that i can sell the rd? I got it for 14k, with coil, radiator and a not so good unit.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

2strokers men sirf RX or GTO ki market hai yar frankly .. can you imagine mene khud RGV ka flash marta howa saaf engine 3k ka sale hotay dekha hai market men ... lakin koi shokain lay tu shyid achay paisy mil jien ...

Exactly, i need a torquey engine hence opted for the 500e. It is a good deal compared to others in the same league and is easy to maintain because there are mechanics who know about it. Is there any chance that i can sell the rd? I got it for 14k, with coil, radiator and a not so good unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List