Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By amjad635
  • 1 Post By msabbasi
  • 1 Post By Xulfiqar
  • 1 Post By msabbasi
  • 1 Post By msabbasi

Thread: what is a 'governor' in a motorbike?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default what is a 'governor' in a motorbike?

So a few days back my mechanic said aap key bike ka current kum hei governor change kurayn ya rewind. I'm assuming he was talking about the stator. Can anyone please shed some light on it?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

as he was referring to low current than probably he meant stator or other most common name for it coil

governor is present in generators which control throttle speed of generator

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Could a he be calling the regulator a governor?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by msabbasi View Post
    Could a he be calling the regulator a governor?
    Sir, in their own language the regulator is charger. Coil is coil, so I'm assuming stator is governor, the bike is CD-200 1981 with point system. So is it a good idea to rewind that or some how source a new one.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aliatif777 View Post
    Sir, in their own language the regulator is charger. Coil is coil, so I'm assuming stator is governor, the bike is CD-200 1981 with point system. So is it a good idea to rewind that or some how source a new one.
    Nice bike, the CD 200. Don't see too many of those nowadays. First off before deciding to replace/rewind the existing stater (which is actually the part of the alternator), you should check its output. I think you have a 6V system. A healthy alternator should put out about 7V and if you have a 12V system then the out put should be about 14V. If your bike has been well looked after and not allowed to be wrecked at the hands of mechanics who call a stater a governor, then it is my opinion that the stater coils are good as they last for a long time and don't go bad easily.

Here is the charging circuit diagram for the CB 200. Hope you can trouble shoot the problem rather than relying on the mechanic/electrician:

what is a governor in a motorbike? -1496919

Here is the complete wiring diagram but it is for the later 12V model. I would imagine the wiring would be pretty similar to the 6V model.

what is a governor in a motorbike? -1496920

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice bike, the CD 200. Don't see too many of those nowadays. First off before deciding to replace/rewind the existing stater (which is actually the part of the alternator), you should check its output. I think you have a 6V system. A healthy alternator should put out about 7V and if you have a 12V system then the out put should be about 14V. If your bike has been well looked after and not allowed to be wrecked at the hands of mechanics who call a stater a governor, then it is my opinion that the stater coils are good as they last for a long time and don't go bad easily.

Here is the charging circuit diagram for the CB 200. Hope you can trouble shoot the problem rather than relying on the mechanic/electrician:

what is a governor in a motorbike? -1496919

Here is the complete wiring diagram but it is for the later 12V model. I would imagine the wiring would be pretty similar to the 6V model.

what is a governor in a motorbike? -1496920
    Thank you sir, for such a detailed reply, yes its a nice bike once properly sorted out, but this is my first project, actually my first bike as well, that is why I didn't know much about the bike and kept listening to inexpirinced mechanics, now I've started working on it myself, I took the readings of my bike it gave me 13.2 volts on full throttle. It has been converted from 6 volts to 12 volts by the previous owner, so I'm assuming the stater is malfunctioning, so is it good to rewind it or just replace it

P.S I've been a silent and keen observer of your jaguars restoration thread and I really liked the way you restored that car keeping the genuine paint, well all most.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you sir, for such a detailed reply, yes its a nice bike once properly sorted out, but this is my first project, actually my first bike as well, that is why I didn't know much about the bike and kept listening to inexpirinced mechanics, now I've started working on it myself, I took the readings of my bike it gave me 13.2 volts on full throttle. It has been converted from 6 volts to 12 volts by the previous owner, so I'm assuming the stater is malfunctioning, so is it good to rewind it or just replace it

P.S I've been a silent and keen observer of your jaguars restoration thread and I really liked the way you restored that car keeping the genuine paint, well all most.
    Thank you for the words of appreciation on my little project.

13V is low. A healthy unit will give 14.7V to be exact. I am assuming the you have already checked the regulator with a known healthy one. It is good that your bike has been converted to 12V. That opens up a huge number of possibilities. First off, others may disagree, but I am not too a huge fan of the local facilities offering rewinding services. You will be lucky to find a place that operates properly who uses proper calculations in working out the number of turns per coil with the correct gauge of wire with the right resistance per meter. Better option will be to find an original part. You are based in Karachi, It has the largest scrap yard market in Pakistan. Or even a better option is to see if the stater from one of the current model bikes fits (Suzuki 150, Honda 125 etc).

On a different note, how was the bike converted? did the previous owner have the 6V stater rewound to 12V or did he replace the stater with a 12V unit? The way forward my lie in the answer to this question

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes sir, the services provided for rewinding stuff is not really up to the mark, the problem with these scrap yard dealers is that they also have repaired stators in their stock, the best place for me to get an original stator which would be brand new is Dubai, I'll be visiting Dubai for new years eve, I'll try my luck in finding it there, GS 150 and CG 125 don't have point system anymore I doubt the parts would be compatible with a CD-200 engine.

The previous owner had replaced the stator with a 12 volt one with a new ignition coil and battery of course. Restoring bikes is not an easy task I've realised. @msabbasi

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

what mechanics usually call governor in CD70 and other four stroke bikes is the centrifugal advance weights in the flywheel magneto.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    what mechanics usually call governor in CD70 and other four stroke bikes is the centrifugal advance weights in the flywheel magneto.
    Does that require rewinding by any chance?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This throws a whole new light on the subject

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes sir, the services provided for rewinding stuff is not really up to the mark, the problem with these scrap yard dealers is that they also have repaired stators in their stock, the best place for me to get an original stator which would be brand new is Dubai, I'll be visiting Dubai for new years eve, I'll try my luck in finding it there, GS 150 and CG 125 don't have point system anymore I doubt the parts would be compatible with a CD-200 engine.

The previous owner had replaced the stator with a 12 volt one with a new ignition coil and battery of course. Restoring bikes is not an easy task I've realised. @msabbasi
    You have a very valid point about the ones with the scrap dealers being repaired. Plus there is usually no exchange/warranty on electrical items. Also a valid point about the newer bikes having electronic ignition. Since your bike is no longer "original" on account if it being converted to 12V, why not go the next step and convert to electronic ignition? I have done that on the my project. However mine is 100% reversible if need be.

When you say original stator is available from Dubai, will that not be a 6V one since this was originally a 6V bike? On another note, since you will be going to Dubai, better make a full list of ALL required parts and bring them in in one shot.

12V CD 200 were sold in the UK and US market, you can try ordering online if all else fails. I have ordered a few items online but the Customs and postage is expensive.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You have a very valid point about the ones with the scrap dealers being repaired. Plus there is usually no exchange/warranty on electrical items. Also a valid point about the newer bikes having electronic ignition. Since your bike is no longer "original" on account if it being converted to 12V, why not go the next step and convert to electronic ignition? I have done that on the my project. However mine is 100% reversible if need be.

When you say original stator is available from Dubai, will that not be a 6V one since this was originally a 6V bike? On another note, since you will be going to Dubai, better make a full list of ALL required parts and bring them in in one shot.

12V CD 200 were sold in the UK and US market, you can try ordering online if all else fails. I have ordered a few items online but the Customs and postage is expensive.
    Sorry for the late reply, got busy with my alevel exams. Sir the problem with a CDI unit is that its very hard to source the original CDI setup for a CD-200. The ones availble are for CM-250 or different engines, these alterations become a pain in the neck after a while. Btw in this whole time I found what is a governor finally, its something that adjusts the timing which is behind the point. has two springs in it, which is kinda faulty that causes missing at a full throttle. Which bike are you using? Is it the same bike? if yes, what CDI are you using in it? and hows the experience?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@msabbasi this is a governor. Timing advancer in actuality.

what is a governor in a motorbike? -1499428

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sorry for the late reply, got busy with my alevel exams. Sir the problem with a CDI unit is that its very hard to source the original CDI setup for a CD-200. The ones availble are for CM-250 or different engines, these alterations become a pain in the neck after a while. Btw in this whole time I found what is a governor finally, its something that adjusts the timing which is behind the point. has two springs in it, which is kinda faulty that causes missing at a full throttle. Which bike are you using? Is it the same bike? if yes, what CDI are you using in it? and hows the experience?
    @msabbasi this is a governor. Timing advancer in actuality.

what is a governor in a motorbike? -1499428
    Indeed that is the timing advancer also correctly called a centrifugal advance mechanism. The idea is that when the RPM is at idle, the engine requires the timing very slightly advanced (about 7-12 degrees) but as the RPM rises the engine is more efficient with the timing much much advanced. This advance is provided by the centrifugal advance mechanism located below the points plate. As the mechanism spins faster, the weights get thrown outwards against the spring tension, the central spindle turns in a opposite direction of the rotor movement to provide the required amount of spark advance. The thing you need to know about this device is that if for example if it is suppose to give a maximum advance if 18 degrees at say 2000 RPM, then no matter how high the RPM goes, the advancer has reached its limit and it will not go beyond the 18 degrees. So if your engine is misfiring at say 8000 RPM, the centrifugal advancer is not at fault.

This mechanism almost never goes wrong since it is so simple. At worst the weights jam up which can be freed up with a bit of lubrication. The springs can break or become weak. in both cases the advancer will cause the timing to go full advance at a lower RPM rather than the optimum design RPM point. In neither of these scenarios will the engine misfire. Your problem of missing at full throttle is NOT caused by a faulty advance mechanism for sure. I have worked on engines with a completely nonfunctional centrifugal advance and they still ran to full RPM without any misfire. The symptom of a jammed advancer is poor pickup and poor fuel economy. The symptom of broken or weak springs is knocking or pinging while accelerating at high throttle opening from low speeds.

You need to look at other causes of the misfire. Fuel starvation seems to come to mind. Is the carburetor the original one for the CD 200? Could it be that you have a CD 125 carb?

At this time I do not have any bike. However I used to ride a Triumph Tiger T100 in my twenties and thirties (sold years ago and replaced with a Mini 1275 GT). Now I am thinking of buying a BMW R100 but not having a place to park it is preventing me acquiring it plus the wife will not be too happy seeing me going about on it. So, for now I have no bike.

The electronic ignition I am using on my project is very different from what you need. Anyhow here is the link to the conversion I did. Though the design is different but the principal is the same. https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/d-i...mprovements-13. In post number 253 you will see the centrifugal advance mechanism of my project.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir, thanks a lot for your valuable input on this, the way you explained it in detail has helped me a lot and I've decided to give on that specific mechanic, I bet he doesn't know much and works on guess work. What he said was 'rewinding hogy' which is not possible and further claimed 'awaaz zyada kur raha hei governor', these so called 'ustaads' really know how to ruin a bike, Anyways, thanks again I now a better understanding that how things work in a bike. Yes the carburettor which is currently installed belongs to a CD-125, as the original one was stolen as claimed by the ex owner. Bigger jets have been installed but no luck, the pick is very good but the bike refuses to cross 85 km/hr considering the engine has a good compression including brand new plugs including new point contacts. I'll be getting its original carburettor soon as well.

The old triumphs are really bad in handling, the 1960's model and the BMW you're talking about, if you're getting one in good condition i'd recommend you to acquire that. It's a lovely bike, my father used to one a few years back, simply loved it.
    @msabbasi

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the story of jetting does not just involve jetting you need to account for the shape of the needle and the nozzle too.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the story of jetting does not just involve jetting you need to account for the shape of the needle and the nozzle too.
    Any suggestion how to make CD-125's carb work on CD-200 for a short time
    Mercedes W126 1980, Triumph Spitfire 1963, MG A 1958, Mercedes 190SL convertible (project), Honda CD-200 1981, Triumph Tiger (project) Honda CD-185 (pending project)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir, thanks a lot for your valuable input on this, the way you explained it in detail has helped me a lot and I've decided to give on that specific mechanic, I bet he doesn't know much and works on guess work. What he said was 'rewinding hogy' which is not possible and further claimed 'awaaz zyada kur raha hei governor', these so called 'ustaads' really know how to ruin a bike, Anyways, thanks again I now a better understanding that how things work in a bike. Yes the carburettor which is currently installed belongs to a CD-125, as the original one was stolen as claimed by the ex owner. Bigger jets have been installed but no luck, the pick is very good but the bike refuses to cross 85 km/hr considering the engine has a good compression including brand new plugs including new point contacts. I'll be getting its original carburettor soon as well.

The old triumphs are really bad in handling, the 1960's model and the BMW you're talking about, if you're getting one in good condition i'd recommend you to acquire that. It's a lovely bike, my father used to one a few years back, simply loved it.
    @msabbasi
    I bet my bottom dollar if you got the right carburetor your problems will be solved. Try to find one on your trip to Dubai rather than looking for a stator. My old Triumph had a CD 175 carburetor installed by the previous owner and it had the exact same problem as your CD 200. Started on the first kick, great idle, great acceleration up to about 70 km/h and not much after that. It is to be expected if you ask a carburetor to feed a 500cc engine that was designed to feed a 175cc engine. Here is another piece of valuable advice .... Change your mechanic. Certainly someone who is asking you to rewind the centrifugal advance mechanism is talking through his hat.

Regarding Triumphs not having good handling, these bikes are intended not to be used as racers but more for touring. For that there are great. I once rode a friends near perfect Triumph T100. It was such a lovely ride, seamless acceleration, totally vibration free chassis, stable as a rock. I used to ride my Triumph to work from Clifton all the way to West Wharf

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List