Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Xulfiqar
  • 1 Post By Xulfiqar
  • 1 Post By Xulfiqar

Thread: Ring Replacement KM Honda CG 125

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    125rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    81
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Ring Replacement KM Honda CG 125

    After how many kilometers Honda CG 125 rings can be changed?
    I have late 2011 model. 35000 km driven. no smoke. but decreasing some engine oil.
    Mechanics says that everything is fine but may be after few thousand kms if smoke appears then we will change rings.
    your suggestion?


  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Chaudhary007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    26
    Posts
    607
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 125rider View Post
    After how many kilometers Honda CG 125 rings can be changed?
    I have late 2011 model. 35000 km driven. no smoke. but decreasing some engine oil.
    Mechanics says that everything is fine but may be after few thousand kms if smoke appears then we will change rings.
    your suggestion?
    It's normal mine 2011 model got changed around 35k kms as well so it's not surprizing. However i got a lot of other stuff changed as well so that the head doesn't need to be opened repeatedly

    AH now done 2k kms after comprehensive head work and going great.

    I changed

    • ring piston
    • cylinder
    • valve
    • stem seal
    • valve guide
    • push rod
    • cam gear,shaft,followers
    • magnet seal and challas
    • Jain and cylinder head gasket
    If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be.

  3. #3
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,399
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    full engine overhaul of Honda CG125E at 35000 kms???

    you guys are joking right?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  4. #4
    PakWheeler Follow
    Chaudhary007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    26
    Posts
    607
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    full engine overhaul of Honda CG125E at 35000 kms???

    you guys are joking right?
    It not a full engine overhaul just the top head work. Crank remains untouched and everything is done with the engine bolted on the chasis

    And if you are surprised about the mileage don't be the best driven ones don't last more than 45k kms. And i am not even taking about the new ones who's clutch starts giving strange sound when you are almost halfway from showroom taking it home.

    @Xulfiqar bhai this isn't the cg125E which you might have owned and worked on this is "Atlas" and it's quality has indeed gone down considerably
    If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be.

  5. #5
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,399
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaudhary007 View Post
    It not a full engine overhaul just the top head work. Crank remains untouched and everything is done with the engine bolted on the chasis

    And if you are surprised about the mileage don't be the best driven ones don't last more than 45k kms. And i am not even taking about the new ones who's clutch starts giving strange sound when you are almost halfway from showroom taking it home.

    @Xulfiqar bhai this isn't the cg125E which you might have owned and worked on this is "Atlas" and it's quality has indeed gone down considerably
    what was the compression pressure reading that notified you to replace the piston rings? The clutch basket noise is mostly attributed to clutch bed in issues, the clutch plates require about 50 very easy acceleration and deceleration cycles to bed in correctly and not to grab. Usual "onetwofive" owners exit the showroom and wheelie the bike all the way home.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  6. #6
    PakWheeler Follow
    Chaudhary007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    26
    Posts
    607
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    what was the compression pressure reading that notified you to replace the piston rings? The clutch basket noise is mostly attributed to clutch bed in issues, the clutch plates require about 50 very easy acceleration and deceleration cycles to bed in correctly and not to grab. Usual "onetwofive" owners exit the showroom and wheelie the bike all the way home.
    almost 0.25L of oil used to come out on every oil change....huge carbon powder deposits in exhaust....oil used to come up all the way to the sparkplug (sometime)....some smoke on extremely high revving.

    All of the above problems have been solved after the work and it's been 2k kms and AH i am more than satisfied.
    I replaced it's non euro carb with euro 2 one and am currently getting around 39-40km/l average.


    As far as clutch is concerned people have been doing this for ages you would rarely find a calm cg rider on the road but the fact is the quality has gone down. Mechanics attribute the clutch problem to the localization of the clutch bearing.
    If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be.

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,399
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaudhary007 View Post
    almost 0.25L of oil used to come out on every oil change....huge carbon powder deposits in exhaust....oil used to come up all the way to the sparkplug (sometime)....some smoke on extremely high revving.

    All of the above problems have been solved after the work and it's been 2k kms and AH i am more than satisfied.
    I replaced it's non euro carb with euro 2 one and am currently getting around 39-40km/l average.


    As far as clutch is concerned people have been doing this for ages you would rarely find a calm cg rider on the road but the fact is the quality has gone down. Mechanics attribute the clutch problem to the localization of the clutch bearing.
    your above paragraph is a classic case of oil ring blockage, this happens when you use a wrong type of engine oil in the crankcase, it caramelises in the oil ring channel, This also happens when the breather gets blocked.

    and as far as clutch - you cannot fix a stupid rider, if a person is dumping all engine torque on a brand new clutch, its not the manufacturer's fault that its noisy.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  8. #8
    PakWheeler Follow
    Chaudhary007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    26
    Posts
    607
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    your above paragraph is a classic case of oil ring blockage, this happens when you use a wrong type of engine oil in the crankcase, it caramelises in the oil ring channel, This also happens when the breather gets blocked.

    and as far as clutch - you cannot fix a stupid rider, if a person is dumping all engine torque on a brand new clutch, its not the manufacturer's fault that its noisy.
    What are other symptoms of a blocked breather type ?? Performance wise during riding ??
    bike feeling heavy or too much noise ???
    If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be.

  9. #9
    PakWheeler Follow
    Alir1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    what was the compression pressure reading that notified you to replace the piston rings? The clutch basket noise is mostly attributed to clutch bed in issues, the clutch plates require about 50 very easy acceleration and deceleration cycles to bed in correctly and not to grab. Usual "onetwofive" owners exit the showroom and wheelie the bike all the way home.
    Please shed some more light on how to bed in clutch properly


    Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

  10. #10
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,399
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaudhary007 View Post
    What are other symptoms of a blocked breather type ?? Performance wise during riding ??
    bike feeling heavy or too much noise ???
    blocked breather will cause excess oil usage, seal leakage etc. it may also be a slight whistling noise, you can test it from the breather port on the top of the crankcase halves behind the cylinder barrel.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  11. #11
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,399
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alir1 View Post
    Please shed some more light on how to bed in clutch properly


    Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    a new clutch pack requires about 50 very easy acceleration cycles, then gradually with a bit more engine power, this is done in a few hours at max, the engine oil should be compatible with wet clutch baskets - using oils with extra additives can cause clutch slip and burn.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  12. #12
    PakWheeler Follow
    Chaudhary007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    26
    Posts
    607
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    blocked breather will cause excess oil usage, seal leakage etc. it may also be a slight whistling noise, you can test it from the breather port on the top of the crankcase halves behind the cylinder barrel.
    To be honest i do keep on hearing this sort of whistling sound even after the headwork.....however the oil which comes out was in appropriate quantity so i decided to ignore it.
    i better get that breather pipe checked. Replacement the easy solution i suppose ??
    If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be.

  13. #13
    PakWheeler Follow
    125rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    81
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaudhary007 View Post
    It's normal mine 2011 model got changed around 35k kms as well so it's not surprizing. However i got a lot of other stuff changed as well so that the head doesn't need to be opened repeatedly

    AH now done 2k kms after comprehensive head work and going great.

    I changed

    • ring piston
    • cylinder
    • valve
    • stem seal
    • valve guide
    • push rod
    • cam gear,shaft,followers
    • magnet seal and challas
    • Jain and cylinder head gasket
    @Chaudhary007 What was total expense of all this?

  14. #14
    PakWheeler Follow
    Chaudhary007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    26
    Posts
    607
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 125rider View Post
    @Chaudhary007 What was total expense of all this?
    7000 (labour + kharadiya + engine oil included )
    If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be.

  15. #15
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,399
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaudhary007 View Post
    To be honest i do keep on hearing this sort of whistling sound even after the headwork.....however the oil which comes out was in appropriate quantity so i decided to ignore it.
    i better get that breather pipe checked. Replacement the easy solution i suppose ??
    its very easy to replace and very cheap too, its the rubber pipe that goes from the crankcase and hangs down near the service stand next to the battery pipe.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •