16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Fuel Tank

I have a question relating to fuel tank design whether it be cg 125 or cd70.

Now we all know the design of the fuel tank right....the pic below is an example fuel cork in on the left side and there are two longitudinal lobes with the hump in the middle.

Now when at a fuel station the filler has two choices whether he can approach from the right side and fill the tank lobe on the left or vice versa.

My question is

Fuel Tank -1621303

Wouldn't there be always petrol on the right side ??

Should we always tell the filler to fill the petrol from the right side into the left lobe (which has fuel cork) so that we get proper mileage ???

ok when the tank is filled i realize that both sides would be filled but normally shouldn't be always put petrol on the left side ??

I have seen it myself that even when the reserve gets completely drained there is still some petrol (unknown quantity) in the right side of the tank which is almost impossible to extract unless you detach the tank and flip it a number of times. So basically that petrol is useless in daily riding.

Wouldn't that petrol just lying there uselessly result in the development of rust ???

Do both sides hold equal amount of petrol ??

Note: It may be a stupid question but please bare with me.

If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

People use to lay the bike side ways with cork side down once the cork side gets empty. This action guarantees the travel to the nearest pump.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Chaudhary007 That's a good question you've brought up here, bro. I find our trends quite funny... Why most of us consider it sort of a sinfull act to fill-up no more than a liter of petrol in our bikes beats me...
    On any fuel pump, you'll see & hear people saying along the lines of: "Yr weean (20) da petrol te pa da" on a regular basis.
    Why can't we just top-up the tank once a week all the way up to it's mouth and save ourselves from the trouble of visiting & 'hunting around' for a petrol stations periodically each day?
    Have you ever thought that we burn more fuel this way???
    Now, most people here say my mind is full of negativity as I seemingly criticize everything... Well, I just defend whatever common sense dictates... And it isn't something to complain about, now is it?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by k-four-nine View Post
    @Chaudhary007 That's a good question you've brought up here, bro. I find our trends quite funny... Why most of us consider it sort of a sinfull act to fill-up no more than a liter of petrol in our bikes beats me...
    On any fuel pump, you'll see & hear people saying along the lines of: "Yr weean (20) da petrol te pa da" on a regular basis.
    Why can't we just top-up the tank once a week all the way up to it's mouth and save ourselves from the trouble of visiting & 'hunting around' for a petrol stations periodically each day?
    Now, most people here say my mind is full of negativity as I seemingly criticize everything... Well, I just defend whatever common sense dictates... And it isn't something to complain about, now is it?

My questions about the fuel tank itself still remains there.....

Regarding what you said you are right but there is a catch to it. I never used to put 1 or 2 litre petrol in tank always got it topped up with high octane. Due to circumstances my daily running was close to none so you can say that full tank used to get empty after say 5 weeks. Result was that these third class aftermarket fuel tank started rusting due to petrol remaining stationary in it for a long time.

So my suggestion would be only get it fulled if your daily running is 40-50kms or your tank would be empty after a week otherwise be prepare to face the rust.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by memad View Post
    People use to lay the bike side ways with cork side down once the cork side gets empty. This action guarantees the travel to the nearest pump.
    Yes i know regarding this but what if you don't run out of petrol. The petrol on the right side is useless than ???

And it standing there over long periods of time would result in result in rust ? No ?? Should be take out the tank and drain in periodically ??
    Isn't the capacity of both the sides equal ?? because i am sure it would be definitely more than what is required to reach the station.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Chaudhary007 I'm by no means a 'fuel tank expert', not in my wildest imagination! But in my knowledge (which, quite frankly, is quite scarce on the subject), petrol keeps the tank walls 'lubed', and when something is lubed, it's basically 'immune' to rust and such, right? Okay, when one rarely ride like you & me, fuel 'evaporation' does becomes a concern. And because of this, I never top-up more than 2-3 liters of fuel myself in my YB as it can easily last me a week or two. But I don't think rust comes into play in all this...? Please, do enlighten me if I'm wrong...
    The bike I've ridden the most was a Suzuki DR350 and it had a 'plastic' fuel tank!!! So, I'm really out of my league here!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think it's good have some petrol on right side especially for bikes have no fuel gauge. And I really like the comment brother point out (weean da petrol.......), but I think it's not possible to our people to keep the fuel tank full or half because of petrol thefts. I am a CCTV technician and I know suspects can easily fool us if bike fuel switch is not on reserve position. That's way I always park my bike in camera range.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Talking

@Chaudhary007 That's a good question you've brought up here, bro. I find our trends quite funny... Why most of us consider it sort of a sinfull act to fill-up no more than a liter of petrol in our bikes beats me... On any fuel pump, you'll see & hear people saying along the lines of: "Yr weean (20) da petrol te pa da" on a regular basis. Why can't we just top-up the tank once a week all the way up to it's mouth and save ourselves from the trouble of visiting & 'hunting around' for a petrol stations periodically each day?Have you ever thought that we burn more fuel this way???Now, most people here say my mind is full of negativity as I seemingly criticize everything... Well, I just defend whatever common sense dictates... And it isn't something to complain about, now is it?
    simple answer is k bhai petrol chori jo ho jata ha mae b bht tang parta hn bar bar refilling se lekin pakistan mae jo rehta hn so petrol empty rakhna parta ha mae aik din full kara lon tu ussi din tanki khali ho jati ha so i keep petrol on as per required basis.
    lEt thE bEast rOar!!!!!!!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1 Ever heard of do not put all eggs in one box ?
    it relates nicely to this.. if fuel tank was flat and it drained all then you are lost .. this design is a second reminder to rider to fill the tank with fuel.
    if there were just reserve and flat tank design and once your bike stops after hitting reserve then you are done..

it has saved me many many times .. still get 1-2 kms after laying it sideways and giving few jerks.

besides second reason is that this fuel tank canot have flat bottom as it relate to its frame. so it has to has some pockets on either side of its mounting to 1: keep it stable on frame.. and help distribute weight..

also it is acting as a shock absorber for the fuel in the tank . (the ridge dampans the layers )

also it is maximizes the amount of fuel stored in the tank ..

so all in all its good and necessary measure. i do not see a single drop of fuel being wasted due to it..

hope these clears your confusions.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yeah I have realized if we put less petrol in tank its consume more rather than having a full filled tank ...

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List