Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 10 Post By mahrumer
  • 2 Post By mahrumer
  • 1 Post By taha66
  • 1 Post By asharab.butt

Thread: Motorcycle touring: YBR 125G or GS150?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Motorcycle touring: YBR 125G or GS150?

So the touring bug has bitten me. I took a few day trips on my 1989 Kawasaki GTO 125, and I had the time of my life. Now I would like to take this one step further, and visit the rest of beautiful Pakistan.

Here's the big question, I can't use my GTO for long tours, it isn't too reliable, so I need a new bike.

Should I get a GS150 or a YBR 125G?

Please let me know which one, and why. Thanks a lot!

I would like to hear all of your input!
    A V8 is not just an engine, it is a way of life!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have owned both. Suzuki GS150 2013 model and a current owner of a new blue YBR.

I've completed 6000 kilometers on the Suzuki and have completed 1000 kilometers on YBR. In my opinion, if you want performance, go for GS150. However for everything else, go for YBR.

Choosing YBR or GS150 for touring is bit tough while keeping in mind that the average commute speed would be around 80 to 100 km/h as this is the average speed what people usually maintain which both of he bikes are capable of doing without hiccups.

However, trust me when I say this - the sitting position of YBR is lot better and you'll never feel tired. On the other hand, GS150 has better upright sitting position so you can sit up-right.

If you have a pillion with you, he/she would prefer to be on GS150. The pillion position for YBR is not that great. However, if pillion rider tucks in his legs, he might feel way more comfortable on YBR. Sadly, the fact is, not every pillion rider attempts this sitting position on a bike.

I never cared about fuel average, its dirt cheap now a days anyways, but to some people, it's a important factor in this case, YBR will get a vote. On my trip to murree from Islamabad on GS150, my average per liter was 31. On Ybr on the same route with the same pillion rider, my average was 37.

Anyone who has been to any road trip on a bike would know that at least once in a day, you'll come across a situation where breaking power matters the most in order to avoid an accident. In this case, YBR again get a vote.

Furthermore when on highway, one often find the need to accelerate from, say, 70 to 80 km/h speed to 110 km/h for over-taking, etc. In this case, GS150 clearly wins though YBR is not slower by any means.

Ride 10 kilometers or more straight on rough and tough road on 70+ km/h speed and the rims of your bikes will bent in no time and your bike will start wobbling (especially if you weight over 80 kgs), it just ruins the experience and purpose. Here YBR again wins since it has alloy rims.

On a long road trip, experienced touring guys will tell you that when strong winds come your way, you'll feel the need to reduce the speed in order to balance your ride. GS150, as it is without fairings will might pose some difficulties. However, YBR in this scenario shines. I heard almost everyone says the YBR's (minor) fairing is just for show, I always ask them to ride a bike on a windy day and you'll then come to know the benefits of (minor) fairings.

when driving over 70 km/hr and taking a turn, say, overhead bridge or so, you'll need to lean your bike instead of turning for better control of the bike, in this case, I find GS150 a bit better and stable. I can certainly do that on YBR but I was more confident when I was doing this on GS150. A friend of mine says the opposite. I guess, it comes down the driving style and sitting posture.

It's a known fact that GS150's quality is not top notch but it did not bothered me much. During my ownership, I changed a flasher about 3 times and that's it. On the other hand, no one questions the quality of YBR so better quality translate to better reliability on the long roads.

GS150's turn angle is bit wide which I really enjoyed when going to hilly areas near Islamabad. On the other hand, YBR's turn angle is bit narrow that can help you take u-turns in less space. if you know what I mean by turn angle.

Despite 125cc engine of YBR, the gear ratio of YBR is exactly same or perhaps better than GS150. I mean, you go to 30+ km/hr in first gear on YBR and would not feel that the engine will blow. However, on GS150, when you are over 7000 RPM, you'll just love the thrust but when red-lining, you'll do get the feeling that the engine will blow. It's just a personal experience.

The stock tyres of YBR / YBR-G are much better than what is Suzuki is providing in GS150. When buying the new GS150, you'll feel the seat of GS150 is not that soft however it will get soft in a month or two. However in the case of YBR, the moment you'll sit on YBR, you'll notice how soft the seat of YBR is.

I think, I've covered most of the points in the light of my personal experiences. However, I am not an experienced rider or tourer, I just do it for fun.

Hope it helps.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks a ton for your detailed and informative reply. Fuel economy doesn't concern me much either. Now I'm 6'3'' and 100kgs, which bike do you think will be better for me in terms of seating position? I really want to go for the YBR, because I like every aspect of it, but the GS150's power holds me back. I could always do with a bit of extra power. The YBR's disk brakes are a HUGE plus. Braking power is very important, obviously. Maybe I can swap disk brakes onto a GS150? I dont know. I am confused.
    A V8 is not just an engine, it is a way of life!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Vettelover View Post
    Thanks a ton for your detailed and informative reply. Fuel economy doesn't concern me much either. Now I'm 6'3'' and 100kgs, which bike do you think will be better for me in terms of seating position? I really want to go for the YBR, because I like every aspect of it, but the GS150's power holds me back. I could always do with a bit of extra power. The YBR's disk brakes are a HUGE plus. Braking power is very important, obviously. Maybe I can swap disk brakes onto a GS150? I dont know. I am confused.
    You're welcome.
    Well, the Pakistan's biggest dilemma when it comes to bikes is that there is no motorcycle with the complete package.

GS150:
    Best performance engine in locally manufactured bikes and a great up-right sitting position but without disk breaks and sporty shape.

YBR:
    Almost complete package but without GS150's acceleration and top speed / CG125 sound and acceleration.

Honda 125:
    There is initial acceleration but nothing else.

So you always have to make a choice that what you can sacrifice for which features as you'll never get a complete package unless YBR250 or YZF-250 is launched but again that would perhaps not the complete package as it won't be in our buying-range.

If I were you, I would write down what I need and what I can sacrifice. I did that math too and I switched from GS150 to YBR.
    Who knows, in 2017, I'll get a GS150. LOL. :-P

I think, you can only be the ultimate judge as you'll be the one who'll be riding the bike. Isn't :-)

Happy biking...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Oh, I forgot to answer your one question about disk brakes in GS150.
    This is a bad idea. There are a few shops and mechanics in Rawalpindi who can install disk brakes in GS150. For instance, if you're in Rawalpindi, visit circular road or simply visit Babar Autos who can install disk brakes.

When I decided to buy a new YBR, I too give it a thought to install disk brakes in GS150 and met a few owners of GS150 who have done this already. Thanks to one of them, who offered a test ride and my experience was not great. I felt the GS150 was getting imbalanced when using disk brakes. I guess, the presence of engine balancer installed in YBR somehow helps maintaining the bike though apparently, it's job is to eliminate the vibrations which works wonderfully.

Nonetheless, disk brakes surely works but the chances of disk brakes getting choked up gets very high. People mostly install the choke cables of old GS500 as new cables are not available in market. I am not sure about Lahore though. Try to search that in market and then compare the cables with the ones installed in YBR for comparison.

Try to search web or youtube and see what happens if disk brake choke fails suddenly and you'll get the idea. That means the disk brakes will be applied with full force - now that is horror show for sure. So I left that idea.

Hope it helps.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir I did a couple of tours on my YBR which includes Muzaffarabad from lahore, fort Rohtas from Lahore , Balloki and GRW from lahore.
    I m 5'10" and weigh around 78kg.
    As u r 100kg with tall height then you ll face lack of acceleration in YBR but beleive me once you ll start rolling then it would never disappoint you. I have ridden it 110kms without a single break but it performed its best. One can easily maintain a speed of 90-100kmph.
    But if u r really concerned with initial torque then there is a new option in market. You can get a United trail 125 and fix a 250cc engine in it. This is done by a senior biker Mr. Omar khan.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by taha66 View Post
    Sir I did a couple of tours on my YBR which includes Muzaffarabad from lahore, fort Rohtas from Lahore , Balloki and GRW from lahore.
    I m 5'10" and weigh around 78kg.
    As u r 100kg with tall height then you ll face lack of acceleration in YBR but beleive me once you ll start rolling then it would never disappoint you. I have ridden it 110kms without a single break but it performed its best. One can easily maintain a speed of 90-100kmph.
    But if u r really concerned with initial torque then there is a new option in market. You can get a United trail 125 and fix a 250cc engine in it. This is done by a senior biker Mr. Omar khan.
    That is just awesome!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using PW Forums

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have a GS 150. I am planning replace its both rims with YBR125. Main idea is to get wider rear tire and front disk at the same time. I have checked the rim sizes for both are same. Lets see.

Sent from my iPad using PW Forums[/QUOTE]

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List