Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Crank Repairs

Salam to everyone

I own a 1983 Yamaha 550 4 Cylinder, I discovered a knock in the engine & later decided to dismantle it & fix it, Upon inspection the plane bearings on the 4th cylinder connecting rod had spun.

Now after searching around for possible repairs, The best thing that could be done to repair the engine is to grind down the crank & get oversized bearings.

Now what i needed to ask is, if there are any machine shop's that grind down the crank to factory specs here in karachi? & also if anyone has ever done this type of repair? & if have done so, how long did the engine last on you?

Thankyou

Majid
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You can only use factory specs if you can find factory specs bearings and once spuns crank baiza ho jati and is no longer conical. so it will have to grinded down to the point where is perfect again but in some cases its damaged so mcuh that it has to be grinded a lot and the softer metal from inside comes out, in this case the repaired crank will not be durable. its best to find a replacement crank and if after repairs it wears out fast you can have it resprayed and retempered. I know poeple in lahore no idea on khi
    Guess Who's Got The power

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Replacing the crank is definitely an alternative but im hoping to revive this one considering the damage on the whole machine is just the 4th crankshaft journal, The other 3 journal's & the main bearings on it are absolutely fine. I guess the previous owner took it above the red line hence leading to this. I'll be micro-metering the journal in a few days to make sure if the journal can be brought back to factory specs, otherwise new crank time...

Anyone ever been there, done the same? if so your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank's
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@maximan

im gonna have to agree with insane power's idea of replacing the crank...tempering with the orignal bearings can cause more damage to the engine if things dont turn out properly..so i'd really suggest you get the orignal items and get it installed by a good mechanic (Y) gud luck

P.S. post some pics of your bikes as well
    >>Time Doesnt Heal Wounds...A Kawasaki ZX-6R does <<

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List