Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: looking for a bike bigger than 150cc, (suzuki gs500e or Honda cb750 nighthawk)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Post looking for a bike bigger than 150cc, (suzuki gs500e or Honda cb750 nighthawk)

Assalaamoalaikum bikers
    I am looking for a bike that I can use everyday and also for long trips on which I can cruise at highway speeds for several hours. I don't want something to show off, or a weekend bike.

what i want:
    • It should be reliable, as I plan to take it to trips of several days. Like to northern areas and towards Multan and maybe Karachi
    • it should be easy to maintain, I don't want to spend a lot of time fixing it or my weekends at workshops
    • affordable, I don't have very deep pockets. I am willing to spend something like 150k, In an extreme case I _can_ extend the budget to 350k, but it would be difficult for me to justify that to myself (and more importantly my wife )
    • although mileage is not a primary concern, but with ever growing fuel prices, i would like to get something that's not a gas guzzler. I understand that these big bikes are not usually fuel efficient
    • it should be powerful enough to cruise at decent speeds without straining the engine
    • more than 500cc displacement would be a plus point since I would be able to take it to motorway as well

what I don't care:
    • looks are not a primary concern, I won't mind getting a good looking bike, but I wouldn't want to play extra just for the looks.
    • same goes for the sound, I don't want to tell the whole neighborhood what my routines are
    • my intention with this bike is not the set any quarter-mile times or landspeed records nor I am a boy racer.

A friend (Bilal Z, a very popular member of PBC) suggested me to go for Honda cb 750 nighthawk, It's in my budget range, and very reliable and manageable. but it's probably a bit too heavy to be used as a daily commuter. Although I guess I can get it if I find a nice piece and a good deal.

Second option that I am considering after reading pw and other forums is Suzuki gs500e. It probably suites me the best. As far as I know I can get a properly restored one for 130k or so. Plus there are some recent models as well from motorway police. So that's a very tempting option. Although some ppl find it quite boring.

So guys, please help me out. what should be the best option for me? what would be the up and downsides of owning one. and lastly if you or someone you know is selling one, please let me know.

Thanks and Regards,
    Fahad
    “Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac”

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
    GS500 is easy to maintain but proper restoration takes some time, not just for GS500 but thats true for a CD200 as well. Once a bike is restored to perfection then it does not need much maintenance, just change the oil and filter in time, get the carbs cleaned when needed and the bike will not give you much problem. I am keeping my blue GS for almost three years now and it has never given me any single problem that you can think of..
    Thank you so much! This has been very helpful. I have now concluded that I cannot dedicate the time required for a restoration. Therefore I will start looking for bikes in good condition.

I'll trouble you with my two last questions now.

1. Besides online classifieds such as Pakwheels and OLX, are there any shops etc where they sell used bikes, like maybe some reliable mechanics that restore bikes for sale?

2. Other than GS500 and CD200, are there some other naked/standard bikes that you would recommend, based on my budget (+- 200k) and ease of maintenance/parts availabilty?

Looking forward to advice from other expert brothers such as @d3vil and @vickytulla on the above two questions as well.

Thanks a lot!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mohsin9211 View Post
    Thank you so much! This has been very helpful. I have now concluded that I cannot dedicate the time required for a restoration. Therefore I will start looking for bikes in good condition.

I'll trouble you with my two last questions now.

1. Besides online classifieds such as Pakwheels and OLX, are there any shops etc where they sell used bikes, like maybe some reliable mechanics that restore bikes for sale?

2. Other than GS500 and CD200, are there some other naked/standard bikes that you would recommend, based on my budget (+- 200k) and ease of maintenance/parts availabilty?

Looking forward to advice from other expert brothers such as @d3vil and @vickytulla on the above two questions as well.

Thanks a lot!!!!
    Well Bro Experience of restoration is complete knowledge of any bike/car...As your budget is not so much low you can find good bike in the market ...But i must say go for 500 not only because I recommend it its beginner bike in sport category and very easy to maintain ..Parts are Avilb so no tension at all... U can use it daily for Office ..No tension of heating in traffic jams no issue of fuel consumption good for on and off road as well....durable for long rides....So go for it... But Again do brain storming before buying any gs500.... Buy a bike not a JANAZA....

U can search for GS500 in all sports bike showrooms... No specific a shop for GS500 but ask them they have links ....

Further if your 1st experiment satisfy you ....you will aim for bigger machine again but if its was hell experience then its would be yr last... I meet many peoples who buy bike but after buying they spend more then for that they buy... so be more specific before making decisions ... BOL

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by d3vil View Post
    Further if your 1st experiment satisfy you ....you will aim for bigger machine again but if its was hell experience then its would be yr last... I meet many peoples who buy bike but after buying they spend more then for that they buy... so be more specific before making decisions ... BOL
    Very well said my dear brother I will definitely keep that in mind. And I have started looking at PW ads already and inshAllah during this week I'll visit some shops too. I'll share what I find out.
    @7thgear and @d3vil, so I should look only for a GS500, no other bike?

By the way have you guys had an older passenger on your GS500? I'm wondering if I will be able to give my dad a ride on it once in a while.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Very well said my dear brother I will definitely keep that in mind. And I have started looking at PW ads already and inshAllah during this week I'll visit some shops too. I'll share what I find out.
    @7thgear and @d3vil, so I should look only for a GS500, no other bike?

By the way have you guys had an older passenger on your GS500? I'm wondering if I will be able to give my dad a ride on it once in a while.
    Yes my elder bro sit with me for Margalla Hills ride..weight more then 110kg lolxxxxxxxxxxxxx...But he was comfortable on it...BOL again ....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How about a CB 250? Recommended?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I dont understand one thing... balkay kafi sari things in ur discussion

IMHO, kabi ap 500 lenay chahty ho... kabi 200 .... or finally CB250 (by they way CB250 ki bhi kafi types hai apkonsi wali ka zikar ker rahay ho ? )

beside if we ignore CB for a while then Aik traf aap k street Bike hai(gs500) and or dosri traf Classic Bike (cd200)... I mean that means you really dont have any plans to buy some thing which you have tough hard about... ??

All other questions become meaning less before hand if we think this way...

You have to make a choice what you are looking for then any one can give you a well thought about idea on that regard..

1 - Cruiser or Sports ?
    2 - Classic or Modern ?
    3 - Daily Rider or Sunday Chiller ?
    4 - City Useage or Rural useage ?
    5 - Touring Machine or an Enonomy master ?

Answer these Questions to yourself and you will find out which machine falls best in your requirement and then you can have a feedback about it by members....

@d3vil and @vickytulla on the above two questions as well.

Thanks a lot!!!!
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by vickytulla View Post
    Answer these Questions to yourself and you will find out which machine falls best in your requirement and then you can have a feedback about it by members....
    @vickytulla bhai, my confusion is not because I have not given it a serious thought, it is because of my lack of knowledge on the subject matter. I am very clear on the fact that I want a naked/standard bike on which a person sits relatively straight, as an occasional commuter. Not a sportsbike, racing bike or even a touring bike. However on the other hand, I also do not want a bike that is either hard to find or is hard to maintain. And then I have a relatively small budget of about 200k.

My ideal bike would be something that looks like a CD200 but has a slightly bigger engine. So any bike that looked like it on the internet, I included it in my questions. Honestly speaking, a GS500 was not on my list. But everyone is recommending it for ease of maintenance and parts availability. And it just seemed like a nice bike so I included it in my list.

So I hope now you have a better idea of my sad story I still have just one big question, i.e. given my four requirements (naked/standard bike, around 2lac rupees, available in already running condition, easy to find and maintain), which bike should I be looking for?

Thank you so much for your "daant" It helped me think straight!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Its not a dant mohsin sb. I just asked too many question after getting confused from the discussion

CD200 is not a Straight road bike atleast now a days its a Classic mnotor with metal fenders with a big flaps, aluminum indicators, and much more..

but its a no go for any one who want an error free ride because its too old to maintain and parts are not available at all.

secondly, for a daily use and bike in similar shape is a GS150 and comes brand new and has all spare parts... and have more power then CD200 and with minor tweaks its a Super Al rounder and good Economy.

Any bigger cc bike which is not available off the shelf in Pakistan one must understand will give you tough time when it goes bad. even RaviPiaggio which is available of the shelf but bad spare parts back up gives hard time to its users so you can imagine what will happen when a GS500e will go bad.

If you are more inclined into the shape od CD200 then CB250, CM250Rebel, Yamaha Maxim, XJR 500 ~ 750, that type of bikes would be in you choice list but all are very scarce in Pakistan.

a GS500 was not on my list. But everyone is recommending it for ease of maintenance and parts availability. And it just seemed like a nice bike so I included it in my list.

given my four requirements (naked/standard bike, around 2lac rupees, available in already running condition, easy to find and maintain), which bike should I be looking for?
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Its not a dant mohsin sb. I just asked too many question after getting confused from the discussion

secondly, for a daily use and bike in similar shape is a GS150 and comes brand new and has all spare parts... and have more power then CD200 and with minor tweaks its a Super Al rounder and good Economy.

...... CD200 then CB250, CM250Rebel, Yamaha Maxim, XJR 500 ~ 750, that type of bikes would be in you choice list but all are very scarce in Pakistan.

Thank you so much for such a detailed advice janab! It is really helpful. I actually rode a GS150 the other day and it definitely felt stronger than my old CG125, however it did not fulfill my "tharak" of a heavier ride does that make any sense?

I actually do not mind an old bike going bad after it has given me a good 3-4 years of riding pleasure (of course with timely oil changes/tuning/carb checks).

I think what I'll do now is, I'll look at some ads of the bikes that you have mentioned. I will also visit some mechanic shops that sell or broker the sales of bigger bikes. And if there is one that I like, I'll post its info so helpful Pakwheeler brothers can give their feedback.

So I know that I should visit Haji Noor's workshop in Canal Park. Is there any other place worth checking out?

Thank you sooo much, and best regards
    mohsin

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you might also check out zeeshan in Gulshan Ravi Outfall road.. never met him but heard about him to be good.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you might also check out zeeshan in Gulshan Ravi Outfall road.. never met him but heard about him to be good.

AoA Biradraan
    So I am back with some updates on my quest for a bike. Based on everyone's persistent suggestions, I decided on getting a GS500e after all. Other bikes that I had in mind had to be dropped because of one problem or the other.

The next step was to find a place to get the bike from. I talked to several mechanics and eventually finalized Mr. Naeem Khan (Mithoo) in Iqbal town who is a Dirt Bike enthusiast and also enjoys restoring other bikes.

After having some discussions with Mr Naeem and the very helpful Fahad bhai (Gorkan @ PW), I realized three things:
    1. Getting a bike restored is awesome because you can have your own customization in design and you know each and every part of the bike. However your cannot be too optimistic as there will be some compromises.
    2. Getting a bike restored is an indefinite process. It can take several months and the delays are caused by people and processes you cannot control. (this was a problem for me because I do not have that kind of patience)
    3. Getting a bike restored is an expensive process. I got an estimate for at least 280k for a decent restoration. (and I don't have that kind of money. After stretching my pockets as much as possible, I came up with 240k, after that I would not even have money for petrol :p)

Based on the above three observations, I had to give up the idea of a restoration. I have now been looking for a ready-to-ride bike. However the bikes I've seen for 220-230k need some work. And the ones in immaculate condition, like the super awesome Black Pearl owned by Talal Bhai (@7thgear) are available for over 300k.

So the moral of the story is, I have not given up. I'm still hopeful that there is a bike out there for me and I will find it soon. Please wish me luck and once again many thanks for your advice and suggestions. I'll post an update soon for the benefit of other newbies who might be looking for their first 500cc!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Buy a Suzuki Bandit 250 or 400 cc. Should be around 200 k.
    4 cylinder, liquid cooled, 5 speed, 0-100 in 9 seconds, 170 km/h top speed. that's all the bike you would ever need.looking for a bike bigger than 150cc suzuki gs500e or Honda cb750 nighthawk -1552860

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

looking for a bike bigger than 150cc suzuki gs500e or Honda cb750 nighthawk -1552861

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Farrushah View Post
    Buy a Suzuki Bandit 250 or 400 cc. Should be around 200 k.
    4 cylinder, liquid cooled, 5 speed, 0-100 in 9 seconds, 170 km/h top speed. that's all the bike you would ever need.
    Thank you so much for suggesting it bro. It was also on my list of (now dropped) bikes. But in terms of features as well as availability, GS500e is my clear choice now. So "main tay GS500 ee lay saan" :p

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you so much for suggesting it bro. It was also on my list of (now dropped) bikes. But in terms of features as well as availability, GS500e is my clear choice now. So "main tay GS500 ee lay saan" :p
    Have you thought about getting a dual sport? Dr250 etc. Theyre heaps of fun and you can take them anywhere.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ammarzahid View Post
    Have you thought about getting a dual sport? Dr250 etc. Theyre heaps of fun and you can take them anywhere.
    No bro haven't thought about a dual sport. In fact if you look at my earlier posts in this thread, you'll see that I am not into sports bikes at all. I was primarily looking for a Classic. However I settled on GS500e because it is a fairly straight bike and above all, mechanics find it easy to maintain.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

No bro haven't thought about a dual sport. In fact if you look at my earlier posts in this thread, you'll see that I am not into sports bikes at all. I was primarily looking for a Classic. However I settled on GS500e because it is a fairly straight bike and above all, mechanics find it easy to maintain.
    Dr250 is not a sports bike, its a semi trail that you can ride on comfortanly everyday as well. But yes gs500 is the way to go if looking for easy maintenance(relatively)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

User Tag List