Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Buying and maintaining Honda 200 or 185

I am looking for honda 200 or 185

1. In karachi which mechanic can I go to have it checked before buying. Name, address and contact number needed.
    How much does mechanic charge to check a bike for buying if u take him to sellers?
    2. There is a price difference in both models. Is there major performance difference? I've heard body is similar, pick too.
    3. Are both equally easier to sell with decent resale?
    4. In how much can I get a decent bike 200 , 185?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Do we have any Honda 200/185 experts here. Can anyone reply to this post please?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1 - Try asking some Good Honda mechnic to inquire about any expert RoadMaster mechnic - usualy they know key Classic Bikes mechnic and would happily guide you

2 - they would require some commision on getting you a Roadmaster usually 1~2% of deal.

3 - 185 should be cheap 200 little higher then 185

4 - 185 is more powerful and torquee, yet they look the same exept the logos on side tappa and magnet cover.

5 - No - they are not easy to sell and urgent selling lead to letting it go on "chooron wali keemat" scrap price - but if you sell it in no hurry you might get reasonable deal from Classic ride follower

6 - In lahore the "Pimped" Roadmaster, Twin and 175 can cost around 100k to 150k but an average Roadmaster price is around 20k to 45k

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by viper11 View Post
    I am looking for honda 200 or 185

1. In karachi which mechanic can I go to have it checked before buying. Name, address and contact number needed.
    How much does mechanic charge to check a bike for buying if u take him to sellers?
    2. There is a price difference in both models. Is there major performance difference? I've heard body is similar, pick too.
    3. Are both equally easier to sell with decent resale?
    4. In how much can I get a decent bike 200 , 185?
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1)lot of mechanic on radio Pakistan mechanic labour is very expensive
    2)cd185 is cheaper cd200 is expensive cd200 is a bit eficient cd185 is more torqugy
    3)cd185 carries less resale but both both take time to sell
    4) cd200 is very expensive these days ppl even ask 200k

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Means three versions we are discussing 200cc , 185 cc & 175cc , is 185cc is the correct description

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Where are gone those old days of CD175 RX115 and Kawasaki GTO 125.
    Your ego is writing cheques, your body can't cash.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Expert opinions - RM200 for a long trip ?

Aslamwalikum PWs & experts,

I'm from Karachi, need some info. I'm planning to buy a RM 200 or a 185 specifically for touring. Have spot on few bikes to buy.
    I always wanted to have a country cross trip on a RM. However I've hands on a 185 for few months & was love with its comfort. Sold it coz needed cash urgently.

For a long trip have queries in mind, hope any of the experts can answer.

• Would this machine make it up from Karachi to Kashmir or Khunjerab ?
    • Considering the fact its a solid machine, if properly built might do ... but still its an old machine. As it'll be used for riding on ramps and hilly areas in the northern side.
    • Will it hold an offroad drive ? Not complete off road but "semi" you can say.
    • I'm not a speed maniac, like comfort and quality drive. So the top speed is not an issue.
    • Also have an engine swap in mind of Honda CB250 which will have 5 speed gear with CDI, but doubt that would be available in Karachi(after reading vickytulla Waqar bhai's comment in a post). What would be a tentative cost of it ?
    • I know spoke rims wont adjust tubeless tyres which is my preference considering the rocky/offroad paths in northern areas. What can be done for having tubeless tyres ?
    • Would CDI be a mandatory thing or sticking to point system wud be fine ?

@vickytulla Waqar Bhai,
    Have gone through almost all your posts, projects & considering the amount of knowledge and insight you have on RMs.
    Your feedback would be a great help to me.

Regards,
    Waqar

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1 - A healthy 185 can do a KHI to Khunjerab with smile (Given you don't red line it all the time and cruise it in her limits - she is old rememeber that)

2 - Basically if bike is healthy then only You will have to master in setting up its point system and its electricals or else it will become a fatal stop to you trip or cumbersome to maintain in a long journey.

3 - After balakot, it might need its carb re-adjusted to thinner air less oxygen and sheer climbs which will over heat the hell out of her so carb setting per hath seedha kerlain. (its common with every carby bike)

4 - It will not afford offroad hands down, its a cruiser you will end up abusing it and end up water filled in point system and engine not responding and also the road clearance will be bummer.. two person sitting on sofa seat of a roadmaster you notice only a handful of space is left below the engine...

Even the exhusts on both sides are straight not lifted like CG and will tend to suck water when you will pass throught streams...

5 - Spokes Rims are fine as long as you are on KKH nothing is a big issue... even 185 engine would be happy to do it, CB250 night hawk k engine wesay bhi expensive hai bohut or ilta bhi nahi.

ya phir chinese replica engine ligwa lo..

Advice# if you have kept a Road Master for a long time and you know it from the bottom of your heart and you know if it goes dead in the middle of the night in middle of no where and you would still be able to figure out whats gone wrong and you can work around it then go for it.

Pori bike 100% ho bhi tu teen baray maslay apko face kerna hon ***//

1 - Point system maintainece
    2 - Carb maintaince
    3 - Road Clearance

As you mention that you dream to do it
    I would advise to buy one make short trips first get use to its major and routine works then try this big agenda.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by syedwaqarhussain22 View Post
    Aslamwalikum PWs & experts,

I'm from Karachi, need some info. I'm planning to buy a RM 200 or a 185 specifically for touring. Have spot on few bikes to buy.
    I always wanted to have a country cross trip on a RM. However I've hands on a 185 for few months & was love with its comfort. Sold it coz needed cash urgently.

For a long trip have queries in mind, hope any of the experts can answer.

• Would this machine make it up from Karachi to Kashmir or Khunjerab ?
    • Considering the fact its a solid machine, if properly built might do ... but still its an old machine. As it'll be used for riding on ramps and hilly areas in the northern side.
    • Will it hold an offroad drive ? Not complete off road but "semi" you can say.
    • I'm not a speed maniac, like comfort and quality drive. So the top speed is not an issue.
    • Also have an engine swap in mind of Honda CB250 which will have 5 speed gear with CDI, but doubt that would be available in Karachi(after reading vickytulla Waqar bhai's comment in a post). What would be a tentative cost of it ?
    • I know spoke rims wont adjust tubeless tyres which is my preference considering the rocky/offroad paths in northern areas. What can be done for having tubeless tyres ?
    • Would CDI be a mandatory thing or sticking to point system wud be fine ?

@vickytulla Waqar Bhai,
    Have gone through almost all your posts, projects & considering the amount of knowledge and insight you have on RMs.
    Your feedback would be a great help to me.

Regards,
    Waqar
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Other than side engine covers and marks on side tapas; not much difference in 200 to 185. BHP difference is not significant either.

Problem with 185 is that it's older than 200.
    Mostly these are already reconditioned by owners so not much option left for quality works. So 185 ages relatively quicker after reconditioning than 200s. Specially when the mentality is to focus on cosmetics and not the mechanical stuff; they usually die after 5-7 thousands miles. Even if they keep running there is not much compression ratio left in them. So not much fun left.

CCs don't matter much otherwise as bigger boring or bigger sleeves with new rings/Pistons will cover the difference.
    As far as travel to pretty much anywhere is concerned; u can go everywhere on both of these bikes.
    They don't take too much cost to renew either but people do critical mistakes which screw up the final product; for example most will spend a whole lot on cosmetics/meter/ lights and buffing/chrome/paints etc.
    Whereas more important is to spend on new carburetor kits/ quality of sleeve for Pistons/quality engine bushings and bolts/ original rockers adjusters/engine bearings/gaskets/good shocks/perfectly aligned rims with new similar grade tires etc. I think that's what brings quality; not just the looks.

I also have noted most will have thick rusts in tanks that will eventually ruin the carbs and engine.
    People think putting a petroleum filter is all that is needed whereas I suggest literally cutting the base plate of fuel tank and then have a body shop mold a new one . Also remove inside stains before welding tank to finish it ready for painting.

These bikes never die if good care is taken.
    Specially important is to use the best of engine oil possible because once the engine is refurbished there is no universal manufacturers recommendation left for oil.
    Best is to use the fully synthetic long range oils like 0-40 or 5-50 grades.

If u take these precautions; u will always love the ride.

Hope above helps u

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by vickytulla View Post
    1 - A healthy 185 can do a KHI to Khunjerab with smile (Given you don't red line it all the time and cruise it in her limits - she is old rememeber that)

2 - Basically if bike is healthy then only You will have to master in setting up its point system and its electricals or else it will become a fatal stop to you trip or cumbersome to maintain in a long journey.

3 - After balakot, it might need its carb re-adjusted to thinner air less oxygen and sheer climbs which will over heat the hell out of her so carb setting per hath seedha kerlain. (its common with every carby bike)

4 - It will not afford offroad hands down, its a cruiser you will end up abusing it and end up water filled in point system and engine not responding and also the road clearance will be bummer.. two person sitting on sofa seat of a roadmaster you notice only a handful of space is left below the engine...

Even the exhusts on both sides are straight not lifted like CG and will tend to suck water when you will pass throught streams...

5 - Spokes Rims are fine as long as you are on KKH nothing is a big issue... even 185 engine would be happy to do it, CB250 night hawk k engine wesay bhi expensive hai bohut or ilta bhi nahi.

ya phir chinese replica engine ligwa lo..

Advice# if you have kept a Road Master for a long time and you know it from the bottom of your heart and you know if it goes dead in the middle of the night in middle of no where and you would still be able to figure out whats gone wrong and you can work around it then go for it.

Pori bike 100% ho bhi tu teen baray maslay apko face kerna hon ***//

1 - Point system maintainece
    2 - Carb maintaince
    3 - Road Clearance

As you mention that you dream to do it
    I would advise to buy one make short trips first get use to its major and routine works then try this big agenda.

Hope that helps.
    Apologies couldn't Thank You earlier !

Many Thanks for your detailed and point to point valuable feedback.
    My faith in restoring RM200 is stronger

I'm searching for an army auction 200 scrap yard so can build engine accessories, bearing, alignment, tyres, rims win good quality - no, not the cosmetics. Tend to have a trip somewhat like this;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaQchZR7rMQ

Anyone in Karachi who has a link where army auction RMs are up for sale ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Forgot to mention that changing point to CDI unit is almost mandatory to make it more reliable in the long run.

Let me know if someone has a scrap road master 200 in Rawalpindi area or any auction there.
    I am interested to creat few master pieces too.

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List